Surely Caro gotta be joking ..?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Surely Caro gotta be joking ..?

SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:Nobody thinks its weird Roo didn't tell Finnis?

Ok then.
He takes responsibility for his own actions. Weird hey.
Very weird.

Given he carries the brand on his shoulders.

Maybe he knew the answer...
Didn't realise he was in uniform. Perhaps he could hire you as his nanny?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Ok then.
Very weird.

He's like superman, the captains uniform is under the suit...always

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Ok then.
Very weird.

Fortius quo sanitization?

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
noddy04
Club Player

As some else has said Roo was in the courtroom with Tony Brown so he was with an official from the club. I thought Nick was still on holidays so why would he have to inform the club? As for Caros journalism....no comment

markp
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Ok then.
Very weird.

Fortius quo sanitization?
Stench Through Loyalty.

Rosco
Club Player

gringo wrote:I'm loathe to comment on any thing to do with the case as I think I'm biased because of the way I have rated Milne the player. I think he's probably served a harsher penalty than most alleged perpetrators of similar actions have especially when guys like a chef who broke into a womans' apartment and assaulted her was allowed to walk out of court because he was drunk and was opportunistic rather than planned. I think community standards have become a little more grown up in the last decade also. I think Riewoldt should have alerted the club and it has allowed the club to be put in a negative light again. It's really a difficult one for everyone who is probably torn in a similar way to me. He has given a lot of joy to people but he also made a poor decision when he was young and the community felt he should have faced charges. Hopefully it all ends soon and the player can be remembered rather than the act.
Riewoldt attends without talking to finnis - we get the story we got

Riewoldt talks to finnis and gets permission - we get "St Kilda sanctions captain's appearance at rape hearing"

Riewoldt talks to finnis and is refused permission - we get "Friction at St Kilda with captain banned from appearing at rape hearing"

Riewoldt never intends to attend - "St Kilda abandons former star player"

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
gringo wrote:I'm loathe to comment on any thing to do with the case as I think I'm biased because of the way I have rated Milne the player. I think he's probably served a harsher penalty than most alleged perpetrators of similar actions have especially when guys like a chef who broke into a womans' apartment and assaulted her was allowed to walk out of court because he was drunk and was opportunistic rather than planned. I think community standards have become a little more grown up in the last decade also. I think Riewoldt should have alerted the club and it has allowed the club to be put in a negative light again. It's really a difficult one for everyone who is probably torn in a similar way to me. He has given a lot of joy to people but he also made a poor decision when he was young and the community felt he should have faced charges. Hopefully it all ends soon and the player can be remembered rather than the act.

Riewoldt talks to finnis and gets permission - we get "St Kilda sanctions captain's appearance at rape hearing"

Riewoldt talks to finnis and is refused permission - we get "Friction at St Kilda with captain banned from appearing at rape hearing"

That's how I see it too. Roo couldn't win regardless, and decided stuff it, I'll do what I think is right and deal with the consequences later. He actually showed real leadership. Ironically it made me proud to be a sainter. I would have been a little ashamed if Milney had turned up there with only the Clubs Welfare Officer in tow. What's this crap that some are inferring that because Riewoldt and Lenny were there it means they support what Milne did? If they hadn't have been there it would have looked like that the club thought he was guilty as sin - which begs the question - why did they allow him to play another 10 years??

If my mate, who had been loyal and trustworthy to me for over a decade had done something stupid 10 years earlier I would be definitely be there supporting him

Sobraz
SS Life Member

As expected, Roo proves to be the sort of person, and friend, we'd all hope our kids and friends to be like. Honest, strong willed and loyal.

Cant ask for much more IMO.

Don't have any issue with Caro, she does her job and generally well.. Its newsworthy and she's stated her position. Thats fine. Doesn't make it correct or any reflection on reality. Reckon she's way off the mark in terms of public opinion on this one. Seems to have no traction, and the article was slightly grasping at straws making mention of his 'off field' issues in the past.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Wilson is the most irrelevant journalist in the industry and not worth consideration!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: He actually showed real leadership.

That is all.

He stood by a (former) team mate when the easy thing to do was be somewhere else.
Perhaps some supporters, some potential sponsors, some media identities wont like it, but perhaps his current team mates will understand exactly what he did.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Wilson is the most irrelevant journalist in the industry and not worth consideration!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Wilson is the most irrelevant journalist in the industry and not worth consideration!

Well that clearly isn't true.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

If our captain chooses to support Stephen Milne, then that (IMHO) is a matter for him. It has to be said, that if the investigation had been properly conducted at the time, then justice may just have been seen to be done, instead of the 10 years of misery for all concerned. I feel sympathy for the family of Stephen Milne, for the victim and her family and for the cause of justice, which quite clearly has been abused by members of the investigation team. I loved Milney as a player, but he has to face up to what he's done and cop his punishment. What a sad case. :cry:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:If our captain chooses to support Stephen Milne, then that (IMHO) is a matter for him. It has to be said, that if the investigation had been properly conducted at the time, then justice may just have been seen to be done, instead of the 10 years of misery for all concerned. I feel sympathy for the family of Stephen Milne, for the victim and her family and for the cause of justice, which quite clearly has been abused by members of the investigation team. I loved Milney as a player, but he has to face up to what he's done and cop his punishment. What a sad case. :cry:

good post

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
70s sainter
Club Player

So milnes friends shouldn't support him in court? They shouldn't comment on his good character as they know it over the last ten years? What are they supposed to do - tell the court that milne displays the characteristic s of a rapist around the club?
What a rediculous article . Go to any court hearing and the accused will have people giving character references for them.
It's up to the judge to interpret all that and sentence them appropriately.
F@#k some people are judgemental hypocritical wankers.

karnaby
Club Player

Rosco wrote:

So true Rosco.

FQF!

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
stevie
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Wilson is the most irrelevant journalist in the industry and not worth consideration!

Well that clearly isn't true.
I agree P66. Slobbo wins that title in a wheeze ridden shuffle

gringo
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:If our captain chooses to support Stephen Milne, then that (IMHO) is a matter for him. It has to be said, that if the investigation had been properly conducted at the time, then justice may just have been seen to be done, instead of the 10 years of misery for all concerned. I feel sympathy for the family of Stephen Milne, for the victim and her family and for the cause of justice, which quite clearly has been abused by members of the investigation team. I loved Milney as a player, but he has to face up to what he's done and cop his punishment. What a sad case. :cry:

Not that I'm suggesting that it's right but if he'd been tried in 2004 he probably would have had lesser penalties for the crime than he got now including the years of abuse he has copped. What ever happened that night it wasn't good for either of them. If it was an honest mistake it's a travesty if he was guilty his punishment has been a lot harsher in the gaze of the public than some one who had been handed a suspended sentence and gone back to their every day lives. The fact is he never got to clear his name in court at the time and has been charged by the court of general consensus. Just be glad it's ending.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:So milnes friends shouldn't support him in court? They shouldn't comment on his good character as they know it over the last ten years? What are they supposed to do - tell the court that milne displays the characteristic s of a rapist around the club?
What a rediculous article . Go to any court hearing and the accused will have people giving character references for them.
It's up to the judge to interpret all that and sentence them appropriately.
F@#k some people are judgemental hypocritical wankers.
much gooder post.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
CarlD
Club Player

millarsaint wrote:The Herald Sun spread was much worse. Over three or four pages. And it was self demonstrating in regard to what the Judge said about trial by media and how Milne had copped it unfairly from the public (all taken into his considerations) - tucked away at article's end.

Headline easily could have read; RAPE CHARGES DROPPED, MILNE TREATED UNFAIRLY BY PUBLIC, TO EXPECT FINE ONLY

Rather than SAINT GUILTY AS SIN (or whatever it was)

Wilson badly clutching at straws as per usual with Saints. A bloke at work parroted this opinion to me about Riewoldt and I said 'what, you're not allowed to support a mate, what's wrong with that?' His thinking hadn't gone beyond this.

How are you able to criticise Riewoldt for not informing the club about attending when the player welfare manager was there? Intriguing. Talk about a storm in a frog's anus.
The horse gods have spoken - Saint or Sinner just won at Flemington ergo Nick did the right thing :D

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

:arrow:
The OtherThommo wrote:Caro will never recover from her statement that WADA had "passed" AOD9604. What's more, she was told she was wrong, advised to issue a correction by a colleague, but never bothered. A massive fail for someone who trained as a journalist, and not in the sporting arena.

Her cred's shot and that's what happens when someone prefers the ease of unaccountable commentary, and ignores facts.

Sexual assault type stuff is inevitably complex, and attempts to disregard that complexity, in favour of simplistic editorialising, demeans the seriousness of the whole show.

And, to pick out a bloke who wasn't central to what happened, at any time, shows a particular bent for irrelevance.

I'm truly sick of those who regard themselves as more important than the issue. Paltry opinions are worth a dime a dozen.

Did she ever mention Dayne Beams, alongside Sam Gilbert? Nup. She also bought into the Hinch crap, about Nick's mythical involvement with whatsherface.

She was wrong, again. But, did she ever admit it, retract, apologise? Nup, again.

She is in no position of authority to pass judgement on anyone.

She's now a very lazy ex-journo.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I wonder if one of the reasons she didn't mention Beams was because she was scared of crossing Eddie.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Nick Reiwoldt is a great captain, a true friend and a champion of the game.

He lives our clubs motto, but some have the termerity to critise him for his support of a friend.

True reflection of what a friend really is, some on here would not be good to have a s a friend if they think a being a frend is dropping them like a bad habit.

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote::arrow:
The OtherThommo wrote:Caro will never recover from her statement that WADA had "passed" AOD9604. What's more, she was told she was wrong, advised to issue a correction by a colleague, but never bothered. A massive fail for someone who trained as a journalist, and not in the sporting arena.

Her cred's shot and that's what happens when someone prefers the ease of unaccountable commentary, and ignores facts.

Sexual assault type stuff is inevitably complex, and attempts to disregard that complexity, in favour of simplistic editorialising, demeans the seriousness of the whole show.

And, to pick out a bloke who wasn't central to what happened, at any time, shows a particular bent for irrelevance.

I'm truly sick of those who regard themselves as more important than the issue. Paltry opinions are worth a dime a dozen.

Did she ever mention Dayne Beams, alongside Sam Gilbert? Nup. She also bought into the Hinch crap, about Nick's mythical involvement with whatsherface.

She was wrong, again. But, did she ever admit it, retract, apologise? Nup, again.

She is in no position of authority to pass judgement on anyone.

She's now a very lazy ex-journo.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I wonder if one of the reasons she didn't mention Beams was because she was scared of crossing Eddie.
She's not really a journalist, more a social commentator, shock jock or critic. She has an angle where she focusses on the negative aspects of the off field goings on. Football is already saturated with analysis and opinion, she sees it like someone writing about celebrities taking coke and smashing up their car. Not everyones cup of teas but she gets people noticing what she writes obviously so she's going to get work.

Club Player

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. What? Has something happened?

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Another sanctimonious homily from the keyboard of the AFL's self appointed conscience, Caroline Wilson. As I've mentioned on here before, I've had the misfortune to meet and mingle with her on a social basis and I always found her to be a most unpleasant
and cold character. This latest episode is another example of why this hypocrite's opportunistic ramblings should be given little weight.

What do we expect the likes of Roo and Lenny to do? Should we abandon team mates, colleagues and friends when they encounter difficulties? Wilson is the type who would, if it meant obviating risk to what amounts to her "image" and career. In this instance, Roo and Lenny are acting as friends and are not representing the club, no matter what the poisonous Wilson would have you believe. If this story was merely about two mates supporting their friend, there would be no story. This scenario is played out in the courts every day. The only story here is the one which Wilson ties to the saints. As per normal. The same old rubbish about culture, blah, blah, blah........

In the end the truth in this matter is that it's been a monumental c**k up from the beginning. All parties involved have had their lives adversely affected, mostly so, Stephen Milne. At least the alleged victim has not been named, which at least affords her some anonymity. Stephen Milne, on the other hand, has had his name besmirched for the rest of his life. His punishment is greater than any court can impose. He will always only be a google search away from harsh judgement.

So in the end, Roo's only crime is that he was providing much needed support for a friend and colleague who desperately needed it. It is none of the club's business. The club may not like it, nor may sanctimonious hacks like Wilson, but in the end it is a decision for the individual on whom the responsibility falls. Personally, I'm proud of Roo and Lenny for the stand they have taken.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!