Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

But a proposal for the Saints to move their training base from Seaford to the club's former heartland at Junction Oval, masterminded by AFL boss Gillon McLachlan and backed by the Napthine government, could be scrapped if Labor wins office on November 29.
Scrapped? Why? I'm not seeing anything in the following that supports (or requires) that.

Opposition leader Daniel Andrews left the door open for more talks with the AFL, but also emphasised that Labor's priority was for Victorian cricket to have year-round access to elite facilities and that the AFL would benefit from the MCG being available to host big games of football from round 1...
And CV would have year round access to elite training facilities, and summer access to elite playing facilities. :idea:

(I'm assuming they aren't looking at a roof over the playing arena to allow for turf wicket games in the Melbourne winter...)

"My door is always open to talk about other partners that could become part of this great vision, but I want to be very clear, I have always seen this ... first and foremost an opportunity to give cricket for the first time ever a dedicated home of its own and then to free up the MCG..."
See the point I made just above.

Unless Dan A wants playing arena 'this great vision' to suddenly sit idle during the Melbourne winter months...

The cost of the project backed by Labor is estimated at $40 million, while the proposal for a shared base that would see the Saints train across the road at Ian Johnson Oval would cost up to $74 million, with $10 million from the AFL...
A joint submision makes more sense when trying to secure funding CV(!) Bigger and better facilities. Win/win. :idea:

Hey CV..., hello (Saint's) money men... :wink:

An AFL spokesman said the league was open to talks with Labor. A St Kilda spokesman said the club looked forward to "further discussions about football's presence in this heartland area for the Saints".
8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
But a proposal for the Saints to move their training base from Seaford to the club's former heartland at Junction Oval, masterminded by AFL boss Gillon McLachlan and backed by the Napthine government, could be scrapped if Labor wins office on November 29.
Scrapped? Why? I'm not seeing anything in the following that supports (or requires) that.

Opposition leader Daniel Andrews left the door open for more talks with the AFL, but also emphasised that Labor's priority was for Victorian cricket to have year-round access to elite facilities and that the AFL would benefit from the MCG being available to host big games of football from round 1...
And CV would have year round access to elite training facilities, and summer access to elite playing facilities. :idea:

(I'm assuming they aren't looking at a roof over the playing arena to allow for turf wicket games in the Melbourne winter...)

"My door is always open to talk about other partners that could become part of this great vision, but I want to be very clear, I have always seen this ... first and foremost an opportunity to give cricket for the first time ever a dedicated home of its own and then to free up the MCG..."
See the point I made just above.

Unless Dan A wants playing arena 'this great vision' to suddenly sit idle during the Melbourne winter months...

The cost of the project backed by Labor is estimated at $40 million, while the proposal for a shared base that would see the Saints train across the road at Ian Johnson Oval would cost up to $74 million, with $10 million from the AFL...
A joint submision makes more sense when trying to secure funding CV(!) Bigger and better facilities. Win/win. :idea:

Hey CV..., hello (Saint's) money men... :wink:

An AFL spokesman said the league was open to talks with Labor. A St Kilda spokesman said the club looked forward to "further discussions about football's presence in this heartland area for the Saints".
8-)

Dave if we go to the ground next to the JO we will be using their facilities but we will never use the ground. Not one party or even person has suggested that bar you. Its your fantasy that has no basis at all. The ground will hold 7K. There is no footy for grounds that small but more importantly we are an add on. Its a cricket ground. That is why the money is being spent. They are leaving the G to get their own ground so there is not even the slightest hope any footy will be played there. You need to wake up to that Dave or you will have health issues. I did like your post though as there were no childish names used.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:This has been a good thread, without the politics.

There's a whole separate forum for that.
But HTB, politics is very relevant in to this topic.
No, funding is relevant to this topic.
And yes, the funding and proposal may be different depending on the Govt. So of course that should be discussed.

What I object to is people getting in a bitch fight/pissing contest Labor vs Liberal which is not relevant to football.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Well said HTB.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

And yes, the funding and proposal may be different depending on the Govt. So of course that should be discussed.

What I object to is people getting in a bitch fight/pissing contest Labor vs Liberal which is not relevant to football.

It is relevant to football when the various political parties have the funding AND they have opposite policies.

You are garbage - Enough said
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

It is relevant to football when the various political parties have the funding AND they have opposite policies.
I agree.

In fact, I've already said that - see my comment quoted above - "And yes, the funding and proposal may be different depending on the Govt. So of course that should be discussed."

But people have started banging on about East West, pork barrelling, Desal, Myki etc, which is not relevant.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

cool, let's keep banging on about the people banging on about the politics.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

well....see you later .....don't hurry back now.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

yep.......and they are each on a pork barrell run.....more votes in ballaat and geelong than st kilda it would seem...or is it more crucial votes...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol ... how funny is that HTB
... thats the same line being used about him over in the General Forum.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Playon
Club Player

Principle of Q'uo wrote:

lol ... how funny is that HTB
... thats the same line being used about him over in the General Forum.
Honestly have you EVER posted anything football related?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Playon
Club Player

Lol I'm on the edge of my seat

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Tex Perkins will run for Albert Park as an independent. I can see him pushing for council funding for the project and rubber stamping approval. He was at the JO training this year and played community cup games down there in the past. He might be a good ally for us. 7000 would suit some VFL games and the real gain will be an elite training facility. The JO has an oval around 20 meters across a very small road. We would share the parking and gym etc but probably be using the open oval which would be similar to Goschs paddock or the ground next to the tennis centre used by the Dees and Pies.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Tex Perkins will run for Albert Park as an independent. I can see him pushing for council funding for the project and rubber stamping approval. He was at the JO training this year and played community cup games down there in the past. He might be a good ally for us. 7000 would suit some VFL games and the real gain will be an elite training facility. The JO has an oval around 20 meters across a very small road. We would share the parking and gym etc but probably be using the open oval which would be similar to Goschs paddock or the ground next to the tennis centre used by the Dees and Pies.

Why would the government give all that money to CV so that they have their own ground and then CV let footy be played on the ground? It just wont happen. If we get a ground there it will be over the road and we will use the cricket facilties like the gym and the pool. We need to be happy with elite training facility because we aren't getting the ground.

Playon
Club Player

I must be one of the few that hopes this deal doesn't get done.

I grew up in St Kilda, then we moved to Moorabbin and now I'm down at Seaford,
I don't feel any attachments to JO at all. Apart from that's where St Kilda CC screwed us. Time must heal all wounds because here we go for seconds.

We'd be on the back paddock, which will make it interesting for the players on crutches, sorry you can't use the gym atm as were training for cricket, we have a match scheduled can you go elsewhere? Can you come back in April?

Seaford not supported by local community? what a load of rubbish. More people at open training days at Seaford than Morrabbin and 10 times that, that were at JO. Think if I used my toes and my fingures I could give a count at how many were at JO and lets not forget where are we on the ladder

No coffee shops? Come on guys buy a car, Perhaps the G Train could open up michelangelo's at chelsea heights for the boys after training. A friend on mine runs a restaurant in NTH Melb and does just that for the North players. Speak to local business'.
I could even take them down a coffee if they're desperate :) The riviera has good meals and is quiet.

Auskick, My son had a chance to play footy with Luke Delaney and got it on video, how cool is that. The Saints move away to JO and all the kids on the Peninsula won't get that experience, There are already other clubs doing Auskick close to the city. For the Auskick alone I hope they stay.

For me Moorabbin is home not the JO. It took 30 mins to walk there 45 mins to walk back. Seeing loss after loss didn't matter we got to cheer our local club and our fav players and really felt like OUR club. The Disco afterwards :) It all gave a feeling of belonging. Then came Locket, winmar, bourke, Harvs, Stewie and who could forget Barker. Many great days just to name a few. Need I name more,

I would hope one day that perhaps there will be a stadium built somewhere on the Peninsula, there's plenty of land available and Moorabbin is just not big enough. Even share it with another club. Won't see it in my life time but I hope footy goes back to its grass roots.

JO who gives stuff, Morrabbin is home

Austinnn
Club Player

Thanks Playon, interesting POV there. Do you think that the Saints would totally abandon the peninsula if they moved to JO?

The last time St Kilda was in St Kilda was the early 60s, so I'd hope we would be more professional and more marketing savvy.

I think for a club struggling right now to survive, moving away from the action was a bad idea, but I think in 50 or so years it might pay off, if we have the security to wait that long.

I agree that maybe the area could be developed and made trendy but it would take more than just a few ex-players and a lot more time.

I understand that the auskick clinics are important. Hopefully the club will still get down the peninsula even if they move back to their original home.

I understand that your reasons are more personal than anything else, like a lot of us. Unless we become the first French AFL team, it doesn't really affect me one way or the other. I'd like to see us become strong and I feel that we can't do that while based on Seaford now, but deoendingbon how Melbourne and Victoria develop, it may be wisecto keep a foothold in the area.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Some good points Austinnn.

Hi Playon, I wouldn't worry about our club's commitment to the Peninsula. Port Melbourne to Portsea remains the priority.

One key reason Moorabbin was chosen to move to from the Junction, was that despite having been at the Junction for near enough to 100 years, the club found that the supporter base was mainly drawn from the suburbs right down the bay.

But we simply must get back to the Junction. St Kilda in St Kilda. We must finally cash in on the iconic nature of the suburb that is our birthplace. No other club in the competition would have that opportunity.

I won't repeat it all here, but what could be achieved from our being back in St Kilda has been listed in several other threads. But basically, the iconic St Kilda vibe would give us the chance to eventually be the best known Australian sporting club... both nationally and internationally.

Or we could be an out of sight out of mind irrelevance, bumping along the bottom of the ladder, with only the occasional final appearances, constantly just a few bad seasons (and hence membership and sponsor dollars plummeting) away from oblivion.

I do not want that! I want us to finally be the juggernaut that we always should have been.

Oh, and eventual home games are a must! (Why the hell should a pristine surface and venue like the JO site sit idle for half the year... cricket can't be played on the centre wicket in the Melbourne winter!)

26,000 crowds at Hillbilly Stadium = $825,000 profit per game,
26,000 crowds at Dockedlands = we pay out $73,000 per game!
And if less than 26,000 crowd, we pay out more... :evil:

This is unsustainable if we want to be competitive.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:I must be one of the few that hopes this deal doesn't get done.

I grew up in St Kilda, then we moved to Moorabbin and now I'm down at Seaford,
I don't feel any attachments to JO at all. Apart from that's where St Kilda CC screwed us. Time must heal all wounds because here we go for seconds.

We'd be on the back paddock, which will make it interesting for the players on crutches, sorry you can't use the gym atm as were training for cricket, we have a match scheduled can you go elsewhere? Can you come back in April?

Seaford not supported by local community? what a load of rubbish. More people at open training days at Seaford than Morrabbin and 10 times that, that were at JO. Think if I used my toes and my fingures I could give a count at how many were at JO and lets not forget where are we on the ladder

No coffee shops? Come on guys buy a car, Perhaps the G Train could open up michelangelo's at chelsea heights for the boys after training. A friend on mine runs a restaurant in NTH Melb and does just that for the North players. Speak to local business'.
I could even take them down a coffee if they're desperate :) The riviera has good meals and is quiet.

Auskick, My son had a chance to play footy with Luke Delaney and got it on video, how cool is that. The Saints move away to JO and all the kids on the Peninsula won't get that experience, There are already other clubs doing Auskick close to the city. For the Auskick alone I hope they stay.

For me Moorabbin is home not the JO. It took 30 mins to walk there 45 mins to walk back. Seeing loss after loss didn't matter we got to cheer our local club and our fav players and really felt like OUR club. The Disco afterwards :) It all gave a feeling of belonging. Then came Locket, winmar, bourke, Harvs, Stewie and who could forget Barker. Many great days just to name a few. Need I name more,

I would hope one day that perhaps there will be a stadium built somewhere on the Peninsula, there's plenty of land available and Moorabbin is just not big enough. Even share it with another club. Won't see it in my life time but I hope footy goes back to its grass roots.

JO who gives stuff, Morrabbin is home
The Saints aren't going back to the Junction Oval, that's just a ploy to help cricket get their own ground which will get them off the MCG.

The Saints will have enough grounds with Seaford and Moorabbin, why would they need a 3rd ground, a ground across the way from the actual Junction Oval, with facilities that geared towards cricket all year round. Ludicrous.
By the time Moorabbin has been upgraded most of the Latte set will have moved on from the Saints playing list, hence, another issue sorted.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Some good points Austinnn.

Hi Playon, I wouldn't worry about our club's commitment to the Peninsula. Port Melbourne to Portsea remains the priority.

One key reason Moorabbin was chosen to move to from the Junction, was that despite having been at the Junction for near enough to 100 years, the club found that the supporter base was mainly drawn from the suburbs right down the bay.

But we simply must get back to the Junction. St Kilda in St Kilda. We must finally cash in on the iconic nature of the suburb that is our birthplace. No other club in the competition would have that opportunity.

I won't repeat it all here, but what could be achieved from our being back in St Kilda has been listed in several other threads. But basically, the iconic St Kilda vibe would give us the chance to eventually be the best known Australian sporting club... both nationally and internationally.

Or we could be an out of sight out of mind irrelevance, bumping along the bottom of the ladder, with only the occasional final appearances, constantly just a few bad seasons (and hence membership and sponsor dollars plummeting) away from oblivion.

I do not want that! I want us to finally be the juggernaut that we always should have been.

Oh, and eventual home games are a must! (Why the hell should a pristine surface and venue like the JO site sit idle for half the year... cricket can't be played on the centre wicket in the Melbourne winter!)

26,000 crowds at Hillbilly Stadium = $825,000 profit per game,
26,000 crowds at Dockedlands = we pay out $73,000 per game!
And if less than 26,000 crowd, we pay out more... :evil:

This is unsustainable if we want to be competitive.

Dave by the time this mystical ground is built the AFL will own Etihad and the returns will make it worthwhile playing there. There will never be a ground at the JO capable of playing AFL footy. Never ever. You need to wake up to that. It is being built to get cricket off the G and as such will always be a cricket ground. We may have the ground over the road in a park.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Life has taught me not to say, "Never ever".

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saint6709
Club Player

how many words does a picture tell !!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:[

By the time Moorabbin has been upgraded most of the Latte set will have moved on from the Saints playing list, hence, another issue sorted.
Billings and Newnes going leaving us?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Still on the table if the Libs win...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1rlwd.html

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

I think we need to pray for a Liberal win - in more ways than one

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!