Petracca or McCartin?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Petracca or McCartin?

Dave McNamara wrote:
On attributes displayed, Petracca is the clear stand out. Then Dai Light (who isn't in the draft). I really like that comparison of Petracca with Riccutto... all I'd add is if that's the case, when Petracca's great career is finally over... don't let him onto the Board Saintas(!) :lol:
:D
But can he knock out Josh Carr in the Ramsgate Hotel carpark? :D
Ricutto was one of the best players I have seen.

evo
Club Player

More from Emma Quayle -The Age

I flipped Petracca and McCartin around so many times, I don't envy St Kilda's need to settle on one over the other. But pitching ahead to where they could all be in three, four or five years, I went for Peter Wright.

Wright might not make the immediate impression the others might. He has the body to play early games but hasn't ever really done a pre-season and so will only become better equipped. He has things to work on, like they all do, and is still learning how to use his bulk to his advantage.
Peter Wright was once tipped to be the No.1 pick. But at his size, with his ability to get up and down the ground, pick up balls beneath his knees, kick for goal and jump into the ruck, he has enormous scope. I don't necessarily think he is the best fit for the Saints at this point in time, but really good big guys are hard to find and there's no one like him in this draft.

Peter Wright (Calder Cannons, 8/9/96, 203cm, 100kg)
Tall forward/ruckman

Be patient, because Wright hasn't done a pre-season and might not make the immediate splash some of the onballers do. At his size, with his running ability and his growing understanding of how to use his body to get others out of the way, he has all the qualities to become the best player from this draft.

The query: He'll continue working on his bodywork and will be looking to add more overhead and contested marks to his game. He's an analytical thinker, who wants to become as good as he can possibly be.

Christian Petracca (Eastern Ranges, 4/1/96, 186cm, 95kg)
Midfielder

A bold, bubbly personality who plays in the same, full-on way. Wants the footy, worked hard on his endurance and proved himself as a midfielder this year, one whose nous, foot skills and power makes him one of the most damaging players in the draft. As a bonus, can go forward and kick goals. Has a happy knack of saving them for big moments, too.

The query: There's not many. Takes a lot on his shoulders. Not yet a player who could run through the middle all day long, despite his improved endurance. But when you can go forward and inflict the damage he can, that doesn't matter too much.
Paddy McCartin (Geelong Falcons, 19/4/96, 194cm, 96kg)

Tall forward
Paddy's season was interrupted by a string of niggling injuries. But when he played, he played with huge presence. A competitive, aggressive full-forward who wants the ball kicked to him and whose eyes light up when he gets the chance to bowl opponents over. Can clunk a mark and does, often. Will fit very easily into an AFL club.

The query: Has had type 1 diabetes since he was 9, but managed it every step of the way and clubs don't see it as a major concern. Has had some niggling injuries that have held him up this year. At this point is a stay-at-home forward, but with a pre-season or two could run higher up the field.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

If Petracca has been able to go from an undersized forward to the best midfielder in only one season then it's sounds like he has a massive upside and with a few more years in the midfield will be the gun we need.
Goal kicking midfielder = a must

suss
Club Player

Astonishing that Sydney will get the best player in the draft. Apparently it will be the same again next year too.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So if we take Petracca and Melbourne take Wright and Brayshaw - that leaves McCartin for GWS (or possibly the Pies).

My top 5 prediction

1. Petracca - Saints
2. Wright - Demons
3. Brayshaw - Demons
4. McCartin - GWS
5. Laverde - Pies

(Pies are actually going ok in their mini-rebuild- Scharenberg, Freeman, Adams, Moore & Laverde would be a good grounding for them).

The reason I have McCartin at 4 - is do Melbourne want/need McCartin and Jesse Hogan? Wright seems a better fit for them.

In other news:

Shiel hasn't signed up for GWS beyond 2015
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-15/f ... -for-giant

Cockatoo may end up going much earlier than 21.
Personally I have him ahead of Brayshaw
http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=697013
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-16/cockatoo-flying

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

I'm surprised this debate has lapsed, particularly as the club says it's still to make a decision but I'm even more surprised that every punter here has plumped for Petracca. Based on what I've heard I'll predict that they take McCartin.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My gut feel the way we have been talking up Lee and White as key fwds indicates we are going for Petracca.

No need for us to play games when we have pick 1.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

I don't think we're playing games. We're on record as saying that we haven't decided. We need more than one forward and if we took Mccartin I'd be surprised if he played more than 6-8 games in his first year if that.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Could be the next John Georgiou.
We don't want another John Georgiou, the first one didn't cut it at the top level.. :shock: :shock:
Wasn't Georgiou still 16 when he first played in our seniors.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Wasn't Georgiou still 16 when he first played in our seniors.
Was he still 16 when he played his last?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What about two metre Peter? Didnt Emma Quayle have him number 1? Plenty of upside.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:What about two metre Peter? Didnt Emma Quayle have him number 1? Plenty of upside.
If we wanted TMP we would have traded 1 & 21 for 4 & 7... would have got TMP at 4 (with the back-up being McCartin in the outside chance that Melbourne took Brayshaw and Wright).... and then had our pick of players at 7 rather than hoping for a slider at 21/22

so basically... we will not be taking TMP.. unless we are totally incompetant edit: or he slides to 21... that would be a big slide though.... although Grundy was tipped as possible no. 1 for much of the year and slid to 18 in a compromised draft
Last edited by SuperDuper on Tue 18 Nov 2014 3:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:What about two metre Peter? Didnt Emma Quayle have him number 1? Plenty of upside.
If we wanted TMP we would have traded 1 & 21 for 4 & 7... would have got TMP at 4 (with the back-up being McCartin in the outside chance that Melbourne took Brayshaw and Wright).... and then had our pick of players at 7 rather than hoping for a slider at 21/22

so basically... we will not be taking TMP.. unless we are totally incompetant

Exactly. We are only taking Petracca. No one else is in the mix otherwise 4 and 7 would have been done.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Danny Frawley let slip in one of his most recent interviews when talking about the talent at St Kilda that "he would be keen to work with Christian Petracca when he gets down there" ! A caller notified Dwayne Russell and Frawley confirmed it when he was interviewed shortly after. It is on the 3AW Sports Today podcast if you interested.

The other thing the caller mentioned was Bluey McKenna was to be interviewed for the Football Manager position.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Vazelos
Club Player

Its Petracca boys, put your house on it!!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I'll qualify this by admitting I pretty much know jack shyte about the draftees aside from a 3 minute highlight package, but what there is to view on Two Meter Peter Wright is not very impressive at all, and Im certain he is going to be a bust for whoever picks him.

A taller, worse version of Vickery, and thats coming from a low base.

Petracca looks good, although very nuggety and perhaps lacking a bit of poise?

Lever looks an outstanding prospect, but a huge risk given the knee issue. Had he played this season it may be a very different conversation.

McCartin is hard to get a gauge on, defence seems to be set up very differently in the u18 levels, so hard to tell how he'll adapt to zones, floods, 2 or 3 v one, etc..

Has to be Petracca.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:I'll qualify this by admitting I pretty much know jack shyte about the draftees aside from a 3 minute highlight package, but what there is to view on Two Meter Peter Wright is not very impressive at all, and Im certain he is going to be a bust for whoever picks him.

A taller, worse version of Vickery, and thats coming from a low base.

Petracca looks good, although very nuggety and perhaps lacking a bit of poise?

Lever looks an outstanding prospect, but a huge risk given the knee issue. Had he played this season it may be a very different conversation.

McCartin is hard to get a gauge on, defence seems to be set up very differently in the u18 levels, so hard to tell how he'll adapt to zones, floods, 2 or 3 v one, etc..

Has to be Petracca.

He isn't a bust but could be a GOP or a superstar. His best is awesome he had one game in the TAC cup where he got about 30+ possessions and kicked a big bag of goals. I could see him being another David Hale...or actually his body is so wrecked may be Hamish Mc Intosh.

Furphy
Club Player

Petracca without a doubt, GWS were prepared to swap picks 4 & 7 to get him, that should tell you something.

FQF
SS Life Member

Someone mentioned Collingwood. I am envious of the drafting they have done over the last few years. Are quitely setting themselves up for a big charge once these kids develop.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Someone mentioned Collingwood. I am envious of the drafting they have done over the last few years. Are quitely setting themselves up for a big charge once these kids develop.
They did it differently to us where they really got rid of prime aged players to rebuild. They sold while the price was high. It will make or break them, if Scharenberg, Freeman etc all take off they will be a very good side. Conversely they might have sold off their better players for spuds. Time will tell but they are doing what we are doing but earlier on in their progression. We had a decade or so of success on the back of our rebuild theirs seemed to be pretty short lived.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Buckley a downer ?

[quote="FQF"]" Someone mentioned Collingwood. I am envious of the drafting they have done over the last few years. Are quitely setting themselves up for a big charge once these kids develop."

I believe they still need a good coach and with regard to Bucks I have my doubts.

But yes, they do appear to have got the most out of their drafting over the last few years .
Wonder how much they spend on recruiting/ drafting ? Too much probably.

G O S A I N T S ! :|

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
FQF wrote:Someone mentioned Collingwood. I am envious of the drafting they have done over the last few years. Are quitely setting themselves up for a big charge once these kids develop.
They did it differently to us where they really got rid of prime aged players to rebuild. They sold while the price was high. It will make or break them, if Scharenberg, Freeman etc all take off they will be a very good side. Conversely they might have sold off their better players for spuds. Time will tell but they are doing what we are doing but earlier on in their progression. We had a decade or so of success on the back of our rebuild theirs seemed to be pretty short lived.

They won a flag and we didn't. That helps with their decision making.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

They won a flag and we didn't. That helps with their decision making.

Successful periods for both clubs went for 8 years but and as we all painfully know, we missed out on the chocolates.

Filth success started in 2006 and ended in 2013 though there is still life and this mini rebuild might kick start them again.

Our era went from 2004 until 2011.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
ace wrote: Wasn't Georgiou still 16 when he first played in our seniors.
Was he still 16 when he played his last?
nah....18 or 19...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I reckon they had it decided a month ago...the AFL just ask them to keep it a mystery til draft day so they can do their lame pull back and reveal in reverse top 10 order BS

It's Petracca - of course it is....read Ameet Bains last comments...pretty much confirms it for me.

Nee!