Name your Picks. 1, 21, 22 and 41 + rookie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Name your Picks. 1, 21, 22 and 41 + rookie

Petracca
Langford
McKenzie
Menadue

Rookie
Lonie
Le Grice
Siposs
Schneider

DFA
Tanner Smith
(Delist & rookie Siposs)

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I believe two 21 year olds with speed and line breaking qualities from the WAFL may be options at #41 or rookie also -

Haiden Schloithe
Player bio 2014 U18 Stats
The inside word
He spent 2012 and 2013 on Fremantle's rookie list and the Dockers were developing him as a run-with midfielder but he was delisted at the end of his second season without getting a senior opportunity. He went back to South Fremantle this year and dominated with an average of over 23 disposals per game as well as 25 goals for the season. He kicked multiple goals on eight occasions and gathered 30-plus possessions three times. He is strong tackler and takes a lot of marks for a player of his size.

Blaine Boeckhurst
Player bio 2014 U18 Stats
The inside word
The 21-year-old midfielder really burst to prominence at the Swan Districts this season. He had played just 25 WAFL matches in the previous three seasons but he played 19 of 20 games this year and was a force in the midfield. He averaged nearly 21 touches across the season. Has a knack for taking the game on with run and carry, has good pace and breaks the line. He has really improved in winning contested football and there he has attracted some interest from AFL clubs following his WAFL season.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

petracca
nakia
ellis

no idea

#1 Ryder fan
stinger
Saintsational Legend

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Nickname should be 'Quadzilla'

Those are just massive.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Why does everyone want McKenzie? I heard he has the turning circle of a truck!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

As much as I love the Schneiderman...I would prefer him to be assistant coach, and free that spot for Petrenko.

Pacy, tackling goal kicker in early twenties......vs very much faded little master who hobbles constantly

Nee!
older saint
SS Life Member

1 petraaca
21 Lamb (slider)
22 Gartlett ( hoping still there )
41 Daniel

Don't think caleb will still be there for PSD .

PSD : McKernan - insurance for Lee not cutting it

Paetrenko to me is no more than a slight upgrade on Milera
Rookie: Schnieder

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

2015 Draft Lottery

Apart from selection #1 we all know the remaining picks and list management plans are guess work?

Does the club want to take any or all of the players training with us in McKernan, Petrenko, Taylor and Le Grice? If they do they won’t all fit onto the rookie list, so how are Bains & Elshaugh going to work it?

Pick # 1 = Petracca (surprised if we take anyone else)

The rest of the picks are a bit of a lottery with who slides and what type of players the club want to bring in. Tony Elshaugh said in his draft interview that if we get a midfielder at #1 then they will be looking for something different at 21 & 22. So I am suggesting that they will use 21 & 22 to get best available but also fill needs on the list. We need outside run and speed, plus we need big dominant key position players forward & back. However the club had shown last year they backed themselves in and took two sliders (best available). Impossible to pick but below is a list of probable -

Pick # 21 & # 22

Midfielders (ranked) Key Position Players (ranked)
1. Nakia Cockatoo 1. Reece McKenzie
2. Jarred Garlett 2. Caleb Marchbank
3. Damian Cavka 3. Hugh Goddard
4. Kyle Langford 4. Oscar McDonald
5. Alex Neal-Bullen 5. Tyler Keitel
6. Daniel McKenzie 6. Tom Lamb (X factor)
7. Corey Ellis
8. Dillon Voijo-Rainbow

I can’t see any of the other top 20 rated midfielders sliding through e.g. Ahern, Duggan. It is difficult to rate midfielders against talls at this age, but I think it is a pressing need for the club going forward.
Pick # 41 is going to be dictated on who is available plus whether they take a tall at 21 or 22.

There is an outside chance that the Saints may use # 41 on a mature aged player either training with us McKernan, Petrenko, or Taylor or go for an interstate mature aged midfield speedster like Haiden Schloithe or Blaine Boekhurst. It may even cause the club to look at a further delisting to free up positions for the sake of balance? The fact that they only have 3 live rookie picks may also put pressure on the recruiters to take a mature aged player at 41.

Again I think at # 41 we go back to list needs and if we do take McKenzie early (likely) this pick would be looking for more outside speed or a big key defender.

Pick # 41
1. Oscar McDonald 1. Haiden Schloithe
2. Nathan Drummond 2. Corey McKernan
3. Daniel Neilson 3. Blaine Boekhurst
4. Jordan Cornico 4. Jarrod Petrenko
5. Sean McLaren 5. Ahmed Saad
6. Jason Constagna. 6. Taylor (ex GCS)

It would be a tough gig being an AFL recruiter but meeting these kids would answer a lot of questions!

Go Sainters !
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Fri 21 Nov 2014 11:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SMS
Club Player

Have changed my mind

1. Petracca
21. R.Mckenzie
22. D. Mckenzie
41. Miller or McDonald

D mackenzie cery underated the kid is the bext fyfe
Cockatoo?? Overated.

PLEASE PICK UP D.MCKENZIE!!!!!

Gershwin
Club Player

From Callum Twomey (AFL draft writer) earlier today:

"Tom Lamb has been interviewed by a fair few clubs recently, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Saints at 21/22are a chance. He trained there earlier this year for a week and impressed with his work ethic. "

"was only a matter of time until the Caleb Daniel question came!I can't see him getting picked in the national draft. Clubs are more likely to take a chance in the rookie draft. St Kilda could be a chance then. "

summertime and the living is easy ........
Richter
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
skeptic wrote:Caleb will be the steal of this draft IMO.

Like Monty. B4 him... Dont let the size fool u, he can play
Joey is 4.5 inches taller than Caleb. Brent Harvey is literally the only modern-day comparison, maybe add Libba if you want to go back a bit further.

The kid might make it, I hope he does, but it would be almost unprecedented at his height. Massive risk.
I read somewhere that he whilst he has exquisite skills and vision, not only is he small but he isn't overly pacy. Compare Brent Harvey and Joey Montagna who are both nimble.

He sounds like a perfect rookie option to me.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
skeptic wrote:Caleb will be the steal of this draft IMO.

Like Monty. B4 him... Dont let the size fool u, he can play
Joey is 4.5 inches taller than Caleb. Brent Harvey is literally the only modern-day comparison, maybe add Libba if you want to go back a bit further.

The kid might make it, I hope he does, but it would be almost unprecedented at his height. Massive risk.
I read somewhere that he whilst he has exquisite skills and vision, not only is he small but he isn't overly pacy. Compare Brent Harvey and Joey Montagna who are both nimble.

He sounds like a perfect rookie option to me.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

I have no idea who we'll be taking at 21, 22 and beyond but am confident we'll be taking McCartin at #1.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Hemi Baxter wrote:I have no idea who we'll be taking at 21, 22 and beyond but am confident we'll be taking McCartin at #1.
Trying to scare us, Hemi? :wink:

What is the source of your confidence?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Dave, given that the club has said that MCCartin is in the mix I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised or frightened. Nor would most posters here be surprised to learn that the top journos have a closer relationship with club recruiting staff than most members so I suppose I could say that a careful reading of Emma Quayle's article in this morning's Age should give posters on this forum cause to doubt their near universal declaration that Petracca will be number one, but no my 'source' is from the junior footy ranks.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:Dave, given that the club has said that MCCartin is in the mix I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised or frightened. Nor would most posters here be surprised to learn that the top journos have a closer relationship with club recruiting staff than most members so I suppose I could say that a careful reading of Emma Quayle's article in this morning's Age should give posters on this forum cause to doubt their near universal declaration that Petracca will be number one, but no my 'source' is from the junior footy ranks.
I hope you hunch is dead wrong

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Give me Petracca at pick one, Webb at pick 41 - the in between picks are too hard to select.

I dare say it will be best midfield slider and best KPP with 21/22.

So if one of De Goey, Weller, Ahern or Duggan slid I'd be over the moon, highly unlikely but all you need is for clubs to be ultra keen on mids like Ellis, Cockatoo, ANB, Maynard, Blakely, even D McKenzie - well you can only put a few of these names into the top 20 to see that 25 won't go into 20!

As for the KPP, well we have Wright, Durdin, Lever and McCartin all gone. Which leaves Marchbank, McKenzie, Lamb (utility), Kietel, McDonald.

Marchbank has Sam Fisher potential, but is high risk/reward due to a history of injuries. He'd be my favourite for that spot if not already taken - could be a Acres type injury slider.

McDonald has key position potential but sort of fits in between pick 22 & 41 imo, he would be a good pick up but is a bit of a reach at 22, wouldn't be over the moon but wouldn't be disappointed with his selection - he definitely fits a need from a list management perspective.

McKenzie could be anything, and could go anywhere from pick 14 at Adelaide to pick 41 at us. Seems that he polarises opinions, is he a big kid who dominates those smaller than him or is he something more? He excites me in that he is elite in a few categories like agility and 20m sprint. A heap of potential and offers something our forward line is lacking.

Lamb, well, who knows. In a way, I hope he is one of those guys taken before our picks allowing someone like Weller (dreamin) to get to us. Boom or bust type guy, I can't get a read on him. Will his elite skills and endurance translate to big time footy? Or will his inconsistency continue and frustrate us? I'm just not sure.

So top 20 includes,

Petracca
Brayshaw
McCartin
Laverde
DeGoey
Pickett
Wright
Lever
Moore
Langford
Cockatoo
Ellis
Durdin
Duggan
Marchbank
Weller
Goddard
Heeney
Ahern
Garlett/Lamb

I would be shocked if there weren't a few suprise picks such as McDonald, Blakely or McKenzie picked earlier to make a few of those guys drop into the 20s.

With pick 5-25 being very even, let's just hope 21/22 are placed 5/6 on our personal list. Chances are someone will slide they always do.

I do wish we had the Dons picks though, as 21/22 is a risk that the top 20 will pan out as I listed - 17 & 20 is just that bit closer.

Dream draft would see Weller, Ahern or Duggan sliding. If not two of those guys, I'd be happy with Reece or Marchbank for the other one.
Last edited by St Ick on Sat 22 Nov 2014 1:21pm, edited 4 times in total.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:so I suppose I could say that a careful reading of Emma Quayle's article in this morning's Age should give posters on this forum cause to doubt their near universal declaration that Petracca will be number one,

First, St Kilda must call out player No. 1, and while Christian Petracca has been heavily promoted as the Saints' "likely" pick, this has undersold Paddy McCartin's extremely strong claims all the way through this year as being the best player in the pool. Not to mention the standing of the very solid Angus Brayshaw.

It will be no knock on Petracca and no huge shock should McCartin be the one they settle on, and that's not just because he plays as a key forward. Both players would be deserving of the honour, but while the club must have found these two incredibly hard to split, that's what your job is when you're holding the very first pick. Knowing for so long that they have had it h
as allowed the Saints to drill heavily into all the top prospects and make the most informed, most thorough and least spontaneous decision possible.

From there, things will get interesting. It seems likely that Melbourne will take the player St Kilda doesn't, along with Brayshaw.
Well just read it. Sounds like just a pre-draft discussion piece.
Hemi Baxter wrote: but no my 'source' is from the junior footy ranks.
Well you may be right, but for you to be right it would mean:
* Lucky guess by your source (well not that lucky as it is probably a choice of 4)
* That the club has told McCartin that they are taking him, and that he or a relative has told your source
* That someone in the club who knows, has leaked it

I hope your source is wrong.

I am not knocking McCartin, but I don't see him as a clear stand out and so I would much rather go for a player like Petracca who will be in the play a lot more, and who will really add an extra dimension to our weak, but developing midfield.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

1. Petracca
21. R Mclenzie
22. McDonald
41. Cavka

sasaint
Club Player

Hemi Baxter wrote:I have no idea who we'll be taking at 21, 22 and beyond but am confident we'll be taking McCartin at #1.
Unfortunately my guess is that Hemi is on the money. I think that the logic is that the club is desperate for a key forward and the club is not sold on McKenzie at pick 20, but believes there will be some quality midfield sliders to pickup at pick 20/21. Also they don't see a standout forward in the 2015 draft. So they are going to take the safe bet by covering that positional hole with McCartin with pick 1 . IMHO I think they should go with Petracca as he just looks so good while McCartin is a tad short and has had a lot of injuries already.

What I would like to see is
1. C Petracca
21. R Mclenzie
22. C Marchbank
41. Best available outside line breaker

Patience young grasshopper
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Petracca is a lock for pick 1.

Die Hard 7
Club Player

1. Petracca (mid)
21. Neal Bullen/ Ellis/Nakia (mid)
22. Lamb/Marchbank (tall)
41. McKenzie/ McDonald (tall)
R: 3 of Daniel, Webb, Johanssen, Bampton (mids)

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

magnifisaint wrote:
Hemi Baxter wrote:Dave, given that the club has said that MCCartin is in the mix I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised or frightened. Nor would most posters here be surprised to learn that the top journos have a closer relationship with club recruiting staff than most members so I suppose I could say that a careful reading of Emma Quayle's article in this morning's Age should give posters on this forum cause to doubt their near universal declaration that Petracca will be number one, but no my 'source' is from the junior footy ranks.
Thanks Hemi, that's a pretty damn fair answer. :)

But like Magnif', I do sooooo hope your source is wrong.

I will be devastated if we let an (almost guaranteed) star and (very likely) once in a generation player go for a bloke who only plays the one posi' and relies on getting his goals from leading... I just can't see the McCartin love... can't see him being a star, can see him quite possibly not even making the grade at all. Besides, we have forwards already to develop, and then there's the 2015 PSD that Pluggs is hanging out for... :twisted:

If we were to pass on Petracca, I'd want to take the Cockatoo at number one.

But unlike anyone's sources or the draft-watchers in the press, I can't offer anymore justification than what's above (or what I've previously posted) for my assessments. (I did really want Garlett last year. :oops: )

Ultimnately, only time will tell who should (and should not) have been picked.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Thanks Hemi, that's a pretty damn fair answer. :)

But like Magnif', I do sooooo hope your source is wrong.

I will be devastated if we let an (almost guaranteed) star and (very likely) once in a generation player go for a bloke who only plays the one posi' and relies on getting his goals from leading... I just can't see the McCartin love... can't see him being a star, can see him quite possibly not even making the grade at all. Besides, we have forwards already to develop, and then there's the 2015 PSD that Pluggs is hanging out for... :twisted:

If we were to pass on Petracca, I'd want to take the Cockatoo at number one.

But unlike anyone's sources or the draft-watchers in the press, I can't offer anymore justification than what's above (or what I've previously posted) for my assessments. (I did really want Garlett last year. :oops: )

Ultimnately, only time will tell who should (and should not) have been picked.

What is wrong with you dave? Why do you keep mentioning me. Seek some help and also get out of fantasyland. Also ever thought about becoming a recruiter. Could save clubs a lot of money. Just watch a game or two and TV and then brand the player for life. Its all so simple.