McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

I reckon afl.com.au is trying to get us to click on their website/create interest/get more hits on thurs.
I reckon its all BS.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What a friggin crack up.....I'd hate to be stuck on the Luna Park Ghost Train with some of you..

AR can say what he wants...not that he said or committed to anything but it doesn't mean it's true....Nah, coaches never lie...lol...

Why did we get spanked week after week in 2014?...

I know we have a few, but what's our one glaring weakness?....

Answer: Lack of good mids...

What's McCartin gonna do?

We need mids...mids and more mids....pleassseee...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I reckon afl.com.au is trying to get us to click on their website/create interest/get more hits on thurs.
I reckon its all BS.

Richo said we were taking McCartin. It has to be true, Con.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If we pick Petracca we'll get a brilliant young man who will excite our fans and help our team rise towards finals success.

If we pick McCartin we'll get a brilliant young man who will excite our fans and help our team rise towards finals success.

Feeling pretty relaxed about it all really. Bring on Thursday night

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:If we pick McCartin we'll get a brilliant young man who will excite our fans and help our team rise towards finals success.
Who is going to deliver it to McCartin?

What other positions can he play?

McCartin is not what we require.

You are garbage - Enough said
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

In Trout, I Trust.

We have to. Short of offering our services to the club as volunteer player identification staff, we have to believe the guys making these decisions are much more informed than us (or the journos!!). Or we'll all go crazy.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:In Trout, I Trust.
heard it for years

In Rod we Trust
In GT we Trust
In Peake we trust
In Ross we trust.

We trusted them all the way to our 27th wooden spoon.

Why trust this mob?

has gotten us nowhere having blind trust in these blokes.

it is very healthy to be skeptical when it comes to St.kilda football logic.

You are garbage - Enough said
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I think people should be more concerned about the quality of player that we get at 21, 22 and 41.

If we can nail those picks it will make a much bigger difference IMO than who we take out of Petracca and McCartin.

busso mick
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:If we pick Petracca we'll get a brilliant young man who will excite our fans and help our team rise towards finals success.

If we pick McCartin we'll get a brilliant young man who will excite our fans and help our team rise towards finals success.

Feeling pretty relaxed about it all really. Bring on Thursday night Image
Totally agree with you Doc. Both will be a good choice for us.

In all likelihood there will emerge a player from this draft who will be head and shoulders better than either Petracca or Mccartin. Think Nat Fyfe from a few years back.

Some people think our first selection is the most critical thing in our long lived history. I can't wait till Thursday to see the reaction from the group of self-professed draft experts after our choice. Should be a good laugh. The ones at 20 or 21 are just as crucial from my point of view.

busso mick
Club Player

HitTheBoundary wrote:I think people should be more concerned about the quality of player that we get at 21, 22 and 41.

If we can nail those picks it will make a much bigger difference IMO than who we take out of Petracca and McCartin.
Beat me to it HTB. :D

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

busso mick wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:I think people should be more concerned about the quality of player that we get at 21, 22 and 41.

Beat me to it HTB. :D
Great minds............... :wink:

bigballs
Club Player

I'll pee myself laughing if we don't take Petracca or McCartin. Maybe we'll take Brayshaw, has anyone ever thought of that outcome?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
stinger wrote:
jonesy wrote:
stinger wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-2 ... first-pick

Richardson said while the decision for pick 1 was driven by factors such as character and values, ultimately it came down to who the club believed is the best player."

Surely it's Petracca then

the coach also said this...

""If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club."

so fiik

Just like Boyd at GWS?

Bloody hell, after a year of freezing his balls of in our wilderness forward line as our piddling mids get pummelled game after game, he might decide that after two years he wants to move to, say Melbourne, whose two power mids, Petracca and Brayshaw and rocketing them up the ladder.

So we lose McCartin, but hey we get pick #3 and Jack Watts.

The kool aid drinkers would be telling us all off and be saying "have faith in the club" :roll:

You can say that about any player though. I want Petracca because I want mids over forwards but I don't think the he may piss off is an excuse. You could also argue then a good tall if traded to will get more than a good small. Id prefer to think who ever we get will be a star and a long term player with us. Lets face it none of us have probably seen more than 2 or 3 games from any of these players and probably none live. My guess is our recruiters have seen them probably play 20 games live. Even 4 months ago most wanted MaCartin ahead of all others. Still think we are certain to take Petracca anyway.

sainter104
Club Player

hmmm messy room , thats not good . whats the story on McCartins room ?

takeaway
Club Player

Would be happy with either Petracca or McCartin. Line Ball. McCartin has probably spent more time as touted No.1 than Petracca - injuries slowed McCartin this year. He is streets ahead of any other potential KPF in this draft - a standout, as is Petracca, with Brayshaw just behind them.

On balance, bearing in mind the next couple of drafts are strong on mids, and they are easier to draft than a good KPF, I favour McCartin. We have inside mids in Dunstan, Armitage, Ross, will be around the bottom anyway next year, so develop a few mids this year, Newnes, Webster, Billings. Acres, load further mids in the next couple of drafts, & let Roo show McCartin the ropes. Makes sense to me.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:Would be happy with either Petracca or McCartin. Line Ball. McCartin has probably spent more time as touted No.1 than Petracca - injuries slowed McCartin this year. He is streets ahead of any other potential KPF in this draft - a standout, as is Petracca, with Brayshaw just behind them.

On balance, bearing in mind the next couple of drafts are strong on mids, and they are easier to draft than a good KPF, I favour McCartin. We have inside mids in Dunstan, Armitage, Ross, will be around the bottom anyway next year, so develop a few mids this year, Newnes, Webster, Billings. Acres, load further mids in the next couple of drafts, & let Roo show McCartin the ropes. Makes sense to me.
Put Petracca in the forward 50 and he kicks more goals than McCartin. In the TAC Cup Petracca kicked 41 goals last year playing as a medium tall in the same forward line as Tom Boyd. In one game last year (a final) he took 9 contested marks and kicked 5 goals. Then this year as a midfielder kicked 20 goals from 9 games. In one game had 32 touches and kicked 5 goals playing through the middle. The days of stay at home full forwards are gone.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sainter104 wrote:hmmm messy room , thats not good . whats the story on McCartins room ?
Impeccable although he doesnt use the dewey decimal system for books. Groups them by size and not subject matter. So points off.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:Would be happy with either Petracca or McCartin. Line Ball. McCartin has probably spent more time as touted No.1 than Petracca - injuries slowed McCartin this year. He is streets ahead of any other potential KPF in this draft - a standout, as is Petracca, with Brayshaw just behind them.

yeah..maybe....on was on his wagon for most of the year anyway......still prefer petracca ..but i won't be slitting my wrists if we draft mccartin

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Trixilver wrote:Midfields win premierships. Even Lockett or Abblett Sr couldn't find a way of winning a flag. Abblett Jr on the other hand...

If we pass on Petracca it will be a mistake. After this year how can we not see it's more important that your midfield can pass the ball as opposed to your forwards being able to make an awful pass look OK. It just doesn't work like that.
True, we got rid of Lockett one year and played in the grand final the next, Mind you we lost that one.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Trixilver wrote:Midfields win premierships. Even Lockett or Abblett Sr couldn't find a way of winning a flag. Abblett Jr on the other hand...

If we pass on Petracca it will be a mistake. After this year how can we not see it's more important that your midfield can pass the ball as opposed to your forwards being able to make an awful pass look OK. It just doesn't work like that.
True, we got rid of Lockett one year and played in the grand final the next, Mind you we lost that one.
would have won if he had been playing...might have won one in the noughties with barry boofhead too.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:If we pick Petracca we'll get a brilliant young man who will excite our fans and help our team rise towards finals success.

Feeling pretty relaxed about it all really. Bring on Thursday night Image
No Lose

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:

Put Petracca in the forward 50 and he kicks more goals than McCartin. In the TAC Cup Petracca kicked 41 goals last year playing as a medium tall in the same forward line as Tom Boyd. In one game last year (a final) he took 9 contested marks and kicked 5 goals. Then this year as a midfielder kicked 20 goals from 9 games. In one game had 32 touches and kicked 5 goals playing through the middle. The days of stay at home full forwards are gone.
Totally agree I just cant see how Petracca is not a better option than a stay at home forward who is a slower version of Jason Heatley.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SMS
Club Player

I must say Ive done a bit more reading and research.

Michael Turner who is a king of kids potential predictions reckons hes J.roughead. Wow.

The charater of McCartin certainly shines through and we do need an amzing forward for the next decade.

Ok Im ready to accept. Petracca may be a great ball winner and amazing athleticism, but we got Dunstan, Armitage, Steven, Ross, etc etc all inside mids.

1. McCartin
21. D.McKenzie (the next fyfe not the forward)
22. Gartlett or Miller (speed and brilliance)
41. Oscar Mcdonald

Rookie: Caleb Daniel, Petrenko, McKernan

Get on board guys!!

We are getting McCartin. Welcome Paddy!!
He certainly has more likeability than Petracca.

GO SAINTS.

SMS
Club Player

And Weller too. We have too many inside midfielders its plain to see why we are getting McCartin.

Trixilver
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:

Add to this that we had perhaps the greatest CHF of all time playing one of, if not, his best years. We finished bottom.

With Lenny retiring it would be absolute madness to not draft a strong, tall mid like Petracca. Who can play forward anyway!