McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

McCartin - Petracca

If only we didn't have to choose.
If we had pick 1 and 2 speculation would be in a far different gear.
Nice to have Melbourne's opportunity with 2 & 3.

S A I N T S :)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: McCartin

Bunk_Moreland wrote: I feel we will regret this for the next decade as we did when we missed out on Judd.

Really disappointed if we screw the pooch on this.
Could this be Judd mark 2- an improved goal-kicking version with two good shoulders?
Last edited by samoht on Wed 26 Nov 2014 10:13am, edited 1 time in total.

bigballs
Club Player

TwoTowers wrote:Clearly most of our armchair experts and panic merchants know very little about these very young men. I don't profess to know them either. But our club now knows every one of them inside and out. You cannot just pick the 'best player' from a highlights reel and disregard everything else when you have a very high draft pick!! You want someone who is going to be exceptional in all areas - including character and integrity. You want someone who is going to be a 10 year player for you at the very least. Do you all know these players so well that you can confidently predict that they will even be around in another three years? How do each of the candidates respond to coaching? How do they respond to pressure? Do they have bad habits already? Are they measured enough not to drop their load when given criticism? The club will have assessed all of this as well as the player type that will suit us best for years to come.

Some of the better commentators think that Heeney and Brayshaw are at least the equal of Petracca. McCartin is the clear best key forward. Our club is on the right track. If Petracca comes then I will welcome him. If McCartin comes then I will welcome him. If Brayshaw comes then I will welcome him. We will get the best player available.

Another interesting article on McCartin in this morning's Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7134050462
Well written post TT, my sentiments exactly. :)

Some people need to chill out a little bit, whoever we end up picking will be a welcome addition to our club anyway you look at it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The club had a great draft last year, but we've had nearly a decade of horrendous recruiting… so I'm personally not buying "the club knows best" line…

Of course we'll all back McCartin if he comes, but if we choose to not draft the player widely tipped as the best in the country and he goes on to become a gun… it will be colossal.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

dragit wrote:The club had a great draft last year, but we've had nearly a decade of horrendous recruiting… so I'm personally not buying "the club knows best" line…

Of course we'll all back McCartin if he comes, but if we choose to not draft the player widely tipped as the best in the country and he goes on to become a gun… it will be colossal.
Agree!

I'm calling it now..

Petracca will win a Brownlow!

Mcartin will not!

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:
dragit wrote:The club had a great draft last year, but we've had nearly a decade of horrendous recruiting… so I'm personally not buying "the club knows best" line…

Agree!

I'm calling it now..

Mcartin will not!
what the hell has a bronlow got do with anything? Roughead will never win a brownlow but he is one of the most important players at hawthorn, Hawkins will never win a brownlow but he won them a premiership off his own boot, I'm not saying McCartin will be as good as either of these two but brownlows are only won by mids, but a champion tall forward is priceless.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So McCartin tested separately? Does anyone know how he went in the vertical and running leaps?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote: Agree!

I'm calling it now..

Mcartin will not!
what the hell has a bronlow got do with anything? Roughead will never win a brownlow but he is one of the most important players at hawthorn, Hawkins will never win a brownlow but he won them a premiership off his own boot, I'm not saying McCartin will be as good as either of these two but brownlows are only won by mids, but a champion tall forward is priceless.
Surely tweedaletomanning was being sarcastic.

Surely :shock:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Since Trout took over from Peake the drafting has been very good.

He & his team deserve to have our confidence.

I'll back their decision over a group of blokes on an Internet forum who have never seen either kid play live.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Have to say - thats a pretty bloody impressive interview on 3AW by PM.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:

I'll back their decision over a group of blokes on an Internet forum who have never seen either kid play live.
Good for you.

Not much point discussing the draft then really if we just "back the club".

I'm happy to put forward my opinion that if we don't take the player widely regarded as the best in the draft then it will be a big mistake. I'll also be more than happy to congratulate the club on making a bold move if it comes off.

People suggest that our last two #1 picks we nailed, but like Petracca… Riewoldt & Goddard were widely accepted as being the best players in their draft.

Clearly a lot is riding on this.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote: Since Trout took over from Peake the drafting has been very good.

This. +1

Same for the posts by Two Towers and Dr S.

I noticed yesterday poor young Paddy was either "too fat", or "too small" (when compared with Hawkins at the same age).

Without getting into debates over the number of goals they might have kicked at the same point in their careers, if you have a look at Hawkins' 2006 under 18 highlights, he has a couple of centimetres on McCartin, but they look a pretty similar body type.

If he does turn out to be our pick, he'll look pretty different this time next year anyway.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. Whoever it is.

Always loyal
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:

We had a great year last year but I would say the jury is still out on Saunders, Lee, Wright, White, Roberton, Hickey, Longer and several others he has been responsible for. So far Saad and Milera are busts and the three main draftees last year look at least decent to excellent picks. I thought we did well in the draft early on plenty of times over the years. James Begley was going to be our captain and we got the best of the Houlihan brothers.

I'm going to reserve my judgement so I can do a big Mart and whine over how the idiots missed a superstar in Petracca and overlook anything Mc Cartin ever does well. If he fails to be better than Tony Lockett I will be extremely disappointed.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Have to say - thats a pretty bloody impressive interview on 3AW by PM.
When was it on Con? Would like to have a listen..

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Maybe membrey is planned for the mid as well..? Meaning our mid stocks suddenly look quite solid...
Yeah, the right way to build a high-class midfield is to convert random players who've never played there. With Membrey, Siposs, Geary, Shenton, Murdoch, Simpkin, Bruce and McCartin in there we'll be unstoppable!

crippsy
Club Player

It would be funny after all this we pick brayshaw!!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

According to burkey only the war room knows who we are picking

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Remember also spud let slip petracca

#1 Ryder fan
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Becoming less concerned by the minute.

Actually, I hope we do take McCartin now. There must be some significant talent there to be a locked in top 3 pick, and with the right development and attitude, he may well be our next Roo. If the way he speaks is anything to go by, combined with his obvious skills, this boy will be the cornerstone of our team for a decade.

With respect to 3 minute highlights, its best we go back and view Tom Boyd's pre draft tape. It's well acknowledged that he was far and away the pick 1 last year, and if he was in this years draft it'd be Boyd then daylight. His highlight tapes are very similar to McCartins in that they are slightly underwhelming, but does all that is needed of him.

With McCartin and the 21/22 combination, we have a lot to look forward to next year.

Also love the panic and hysteria going on by a certain few. Makes me feel a lot less invested in something none of us really know anything about.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Also love the panic and hysteria going on by a certain few
It's all I've got right now, I'll calm down eventually. :)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I sincerely hope this is BS.

i was shattered when we passed on rioli.....complete feeling of emptiness when we passed on darling.....i remember looking at the guys drafted on numerous past occasions feeling like the woman left in limbo when the guy rolls off and goes to sleep after 25 seconds of thrusting.....having seen the promise of so much and then being delivered uninteresting tidbits......depression then sets in......f****** better not pass on christian...but i'm fearing we will......they made their decisions and came up with a settled draft order last wednesday.......maybe it las leaked ,,,,most things down seaford way do.....
Sting, I am really nervous about this. My gut is saying if don't get Petracca it'll be like passing on a player of Chris Judd's caliber.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Becoming less concerned by the minute.

Actually, I hope we do take McCartin now. There must be some significant talent there to be a locked in top 3 pick, and with the right development and attitude, he may well be our next Roo. If the way he speaks is anything to go by, combined with his obvious skills, this boy will be the cornerstone of our team for a decade.

With respect to 3 minute highlights, its best we go back and view Tom Boyd's pre draft tape. It's well acknowledged that he was far and away the pick 1 last year, and if he was in this years draft it'd be Boyd then daylight. His highlight tapes are very similar to McCartins in that they are slightly underwhelming, but does all that is needed of him.

With McCartin and the 21/22 combination, we have a lot to look forward to next year.

Also love the panic and hysteria going on by a certain few. Makes me feel a lot less invested in something none of us really know anything about.
I'm actually feeling very relaxed 8-)

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
stinger wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I sincerely hope this is BS.

i was shattered when we passed on rioli.....complete feeling of emptiness when we passed on darling.....i remember looking at the guys drafted on numerous past occasions feeling like the woman left in limbo when the guy rolls off and goes to sleep after 25 seconds of thrusting.....having seen the promise of so much and then being delivered uninteresting tidbits......depression then sets in......f****** better not pass on christian...but i'm fearing we will......they made their decisions and came up with a settled draft order last wednesday.......maybe it las leaked ,,,,most things down seaford way do.....
Sting, I am really nervous about this. My gut is saying if don't get Petracca it'll be like passing on a player of Chris Judd's caliber.
Have been saying that for weeks. Ever since we secured our No.1 pick

see sig below

You are garbage - Enough said
70s sainter
Club Player

Re you signature above isn't Heeney supposed to be better than petrecca , so how good is heeney then??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
samoht wrote:
fugazi wrote:
Once he's name is read out, and he's a Saint we should all get behind him.
Of course. We'll all be behind him. But whether we'll get behind the recruiters/our recruiting team remains to be seen.
Exactly. Nobody is disputing McCartin is a very good player and many other clubs may well select him as No.1.

But is he the right fir for a rebuilding club who is crying out for midfielders with class.

Saying get mids @21 and 21 is fine, but they are picks 21 and 22 for a reason and that reason is they are judged to be not as good as Petracca or Brayshaw.

I feel we will regret this for the next decade as we did when we missed out on Judd.

Really disappointed if we screw the pooch on this.

Well if we take McCartin we may have also missed out on taking a Scully type. I reckon if we bothered to look up who was the most popular player we would have taken 6 months ago it would have been McCartin and I don't think he has done much wrong since. Petracca has improved but he was probably only a top 10 pick 6 months ago so he had too. I wanted Petracca because I think mids win games but it still seems clubs think forwards win games when you look at what Boyd will get in 2 years time. And we haven't even picked yet. We still may take Petracca. Certainly makes the draft the most exciting in years.