Jason Holmes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jason Holmes

Would be soul destroying for him to play ones at the moment. Better to just have one ruckman if Longer goes down.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
FQF
SS Life Member

It'll be an interesting one. You wouldn't want to risk Stanley getting injured by making him a full time ruck - not to mention the damage done to our structure.

Bruce is pretty tall (197cm) so maybe he could pinch hit if they didn't want to expose Holmes.

Anyway, let's hope it won't happen.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He has only been playing the game weeks!!!!!! So it is a bit much for anyone to expect him to be able to read the play yet.

That he is do so well in the ruck already is quite amazing.

REMEMBER that Jim Stynes was sent down a few levels when he first arrived and it took him a while to learn the game and he came from a gaelic background.

imo anything that Holmes achieves this season is a bonus. Next season he will really start to get into it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
FQF
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:He has only been playing the game weeks!!!!!! So it is a bit much for anyone to expect him to be able to read the play yet.

REMEMBER that Jim Stynes was sent down a few levels when he first arrived and it took him a while to learn the game and he came from a gaelic background.

imo anything that Holmes achieves this season is a bonus. Next season he will really start to get into it.
No one is expecting him to be ready to play, far from it. The discussion was whether he will play in the very unfortunate situation if Longer gets injured, given that Hickey and Pierce are also injured.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:He has only been playing the game weeks!!!!!! So it is a bit much for anyone to expect him to be able to read the play yet.

Holmes could well be our next Tommy Walsh.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
uptheboys
Club Player

Interested in if people see Jason making an impact in 2015, weather he debuts or not etc?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

uptheboys wrote:Interested in if people see Jason making an impact in 2015, weather he debuts or not etc?

I think he could if we need him to. He will win the hit outs but I think he will struggle with just about every other aspect of the game but has improved heaps.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

uptheboys wrote:Interested in if people see Jason making an impact in 2015, weather he debuts or not etc?
Given his age you'd think surely he needs to play this year if he's going to. But there's a bunch of ruckmen ahead of him, Hickey and Longer at least, Pierce probably needs to debut as well. I reckon if he plays 5 games he's done unbelievably well, if he plays 2 he's done ok, if he debuts I'd be happy.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

That's the thing. I think if he were a few years younger he would definitely make it one day. He has enough tools.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

For me, he could be the surprise of 2015. If he can start taking marks consistently he will be something else. From what I've seen of him, he isn't going to lose many ruck contests.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

For me, he could be the surprise of 2015. If he can start taking marks consistently he will be something else. From what I've seen of him, he isn't going to lose many ruck contests.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

we'll see him in the NAB crap comp at least

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:we'll see him in the NAB crap comp at least
That's all it's good for.

damienc
Club Player

Great thread. This guy is definitely worth keeping an eye on. He could end up turning into gold for us, especially if he keeps improving. He has a great pedigree. His brother is a champion running back in the American NFL.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

At least two years away from playing senior footy. He hasn't even handled the ball for 12 months yet!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell