Chip's Update- Feeling fine- article & Gilbo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Chip's Update- Feeling fine- article & Gilbo

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7155815982
One week out from Round 1 the Saints were on their way to a 16-point loss to the fledgling GWS Giants, and Fisher was labouring so badly with a chronic big toe injury that he didn’t really want to be out there.

“I was literally running away from the ball because I just couldn’t get to contests, and I thought ‘What am I doing?’” Fisher said.

For years the St Kilda defender had dealt with the wear-and-tear injury that was not only limiting his movement, but also causing enormous pain.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
We couldn’t quite work out exactly what the problem was for a while,’’ Fisher said. “I could get up to almost full pace and be feeling totally fine, thinking I’d be back in a week or two, and then at certain times when I was at full stretch it would just come on again. It would never tear, but it just never quite felt right.’’

Eventually Fisher and St Kilda physiotherapist Andrew Wallace to flew to the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra to consult “hamstring guru’’ Craig Purdam.

With the help of an ultrasound, the associate professor found “a little bubble’’ between the hamstring tendon and muscle. It was felt that because Fisher had spent so long compensating for the painful toe problem, he had lost some strength and conditioning in his leg, causing the hamstring issues.

Treated accordingly, “Chips’’ Fisher was ready to return for the final seven matches of 2014, moving freely and averaging 18 disposals a game.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Working hard has been the 32-year-old’s mantra again this summer, fuelled by the buzz of knowing his body is sound and that he has the support of coach Alan Richardson, who said last week that “Chips clearly makes us a better team when he’s playing”.

“His mind’s strong, his body’s strong and we have a bit of a joke that he’s missed a bit of footy through injury so we can add that on to the back end of his career,’’ Richardson said

Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 17 Dec 2014 8:35am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chip's Update- Feeling fine- article

I know ultra sound technology has been around for decades - but the way they analyse ultra sounds has come on in leaps and bounds.

My question is - will advances in medical technology prolong careers and mean some (very good ) players will play longer?

In this case it seems if it wasnt for this medical intervention Chips would have retired already. Same could easily be said for Roo.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 15 Dec 2014 12:54am, edited 1 time in total.

Harves Man
Club Player

Interesting point, Con and you are almost certainly right about both Chips and Roo. When they can fix what we see now as serious knee injuries, there will be good times!

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Having a fit Sam Fisher in our side would be huge. I believe he makes a huge difference. He can play on almost any size opponent, reads the play brilliantly and would be a great asset in teaching the younger guys and showing them where to position themselves.
Good points above re medical advances. I think the next big thing will come when they can do something about degenerative conditions. Especially if they can find a way to replace/regrow cartilage. That would potentially extend many careers and improve the post football life of many players.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

a fit chips and a fit sammy will ensure we won't finish last next year

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:a fit chips and a fit sammy will ensure we won't finish last next year
Who is Sammy? We lose Lenny, CJ and Jimmy and haven't picked up anyone who will help us next season. I actually think we will win only between one and 3 games unfortunately. The problem is I don't see who we can beat.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote: Who is Sammy? .
Aaron Hamill. Apparently he's training the house down and, don't quote me on it, but I heard a whisper that he's only a couple of weeks away.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I know ultra sound technology has been around for decades - but the way they analyse ultra sounds has come on in leaps and bounds.

My question is - will advances in medical technology prolong careers and mean some (very good ) players will play longer?

In this case it seems if it wasnt for this medical intervention Chips would have retired already. Same could easily be said for Roo.
Well its not something new that a very good medical team is an advantage. I've been wondering for a few years now on how we fare along those lines. There are doctors and there are doctors, we've all seen it not just in the sporting communities.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I have been a very big fan of Chips for many years - the 'general' of our backline during our best years.

To see him up an running again at full speed will straighten us up and add a huge amount of on-field experience to a "developing" back line.

Best wishes to chips for a very good year ahead.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I know ultra sound technology has been around for decades - but the way they analyse ultra sounds has come on in leaps and bounds.

Well its not something new that a very good medical team is an advantage. I've been wondering for a few years now on how we fare along those lines. There are doctors and there are doctors, we've all seen it not just in the sporting communities.
Que?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote: I think the next big thing will come when they can do something about degenerative conditions. Especially if they can find a way to replace/regrow cartilage. That would potentially extend many careers and improve the post football life of many players.
.....And make someone a lot of cash if they could be first to market. Especially first to black market.

Go to Essendope thread - approx page 57, around 19 April 2013 - post by Con

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79221&start=1400

http://technicality.me/2014/02/05/metab ... -aod-9604/

FQF
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:a fit chips and a fit sammy will ensure we won't finish last next year
If you're referring to Gilbert, I tend to agree.

Those two players practically didn't play last year for any significant time and they (along with Dempster) are clearly our best defenders. They are both very good defensively and crucial to our rebounds. The other plus is that if they do play, I would expect increased output from guys like Webster, Wright and Savage who will be under less pressure when playing alongside them.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Just had a chat to Chips , he's excited for the year to start
Well he chatted and I listened , ;)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
stinger
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

Those two players practically didn't play last year for any significant time and they (along with Dempster) are clearly our best defenders. They are both very good defensively and crucial to our rebounds. The other plus is that if they do play, I would expect increased output from guys like Webster, Wright and Savage who will be under less pressure when playing alongside them.
of course i'm referring to gilbert ..don't take any notice of clowns...i just wish people would stop quoting them, then i wouldn't ever have to read their rubbish posts....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
FQF wrote:

of course i'm referring to gilbert ..don't take any notice of clowns...i just wish people would stop quoting them, then i wouldn't ever have to read their rubbish posts....
Are you calling me a clown Stinger. Im sure that's a warning. Might dob you in like you do to just about every post when I comment on your rubbish.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Just had a chat to Chips , he's excited for the year to start
Well he chatted and I listened , ;)
That must be a first 'bratty'.......................... you not having something to say :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :P

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
gringo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

When you consider we had Armo and Steven out for extended periods and Joey at about half output possibly playing on a broken leg it's no wonder we finished last. Even Hickey meant we played a very raw ruck man in Longer.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
FQF wrote:

When you consider we had Armo and Steven out for extended periods and Joey at about half output possibly playing on a broken leg it's no wonder we finished last. Even Hickey meant we played a very raw ruck man in Longer.

Whats this broken leg business? Ive not heard that one.

But remember - we have now lost Lenny.
That cancels out pretty much all those things.

FQF
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:
FQF wrote:

No it doesn't. Quite simply, if Lenny (of 2014) = Armo + Steven + Joey + Hickey then he would never have retired.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:
FQF wrote:

It was on big footy that the Saints confirmed he played last year with a crack in his leg.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chip's Update- Feeling fine- article & Gilbo

A fit Jack and Armo are critical to our being competitive week to week.
If either one of them is down we are in real strife.

Anything form Gilbert and/or Fisher is a bonus - but I wouldn't be relying on either of them at this stage.
Gilbo seduces with his height and athleticism but he is still a turnover merchant . I wouldn't exaggrate his contribution.

Having said that - Chips physical situation appears to be much improved.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-12-1 ... -round-one

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
FQF wrote:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-12-1 ... -round-one

Geeze he's a big unit these days.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chip's Update- Feeling fine- article & Gilbo

Gilbo will do some beautiful play. Win the ball well in a fierce contest in the air or on the ground. Do his famous side-step. Run it out of defence with dash. Then bang . Pick out an opposition player who then kicks it straight back over his head to his opponent who is goal side and alone.