Training Updates

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Training Updates

How would Usain Bolt go in the 10,000 metres at the Olympics?

I would say a distant last.

So be that logic Usain Bolt is unfit.

Yup makes sense.

You are garbage - Enough said
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Bunk_Moreland wrote:How would Usain Bolt go in the 10,000 metres at the Olympics?

Yup makes sense.
That's right!
Marathon runners and endurance athletes have a higher percentage of slow-twitch fibres.
Slow-twitch fibres release energy slowly and in a more sustained way - which is ideal for endurance events.

So Spencer White may just have a higher percentage of fast-twitch fibres (a la Usain Bolt) - we all know he's fast and explosive and can take a high leap.

I'm sure our trainers take all this into account.

The following is an excerpt from a google article.

"The individual's ratio of fast-twitch to slow-twitch muscle fibre is genetically determined, making them more suited to certain sports or activities. The ratio of both types of muscle fibre varies in each individual and each muscle. In summary:

Ratio of fast to slow-twitch fibres is thought to be genetically determined.
The metabolic capabilities of both types of fibres can improve through specific strength and endurance training.
Sprinters and weight lifters have a large percentage of fast-twitch fibres.
Marathon runners generally have a higher percentage of slow twitch fibres.
Muscles that primarily maintain posture against gravity (core strength) require more endurance and generally have a higher percentage of slow-twitch fibres.
Muscles that produce powerful, rapid, explosive strength movements tend to have a greater percentage of fast-twitch fibres."
Last edited by samoht on Thu 18 Dec 2014 11:33am, edited 2 times in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

May have also had problems on the day with his Asthma.

We're all just guessing aren't we?

So don't stress 8-)

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

samoht wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:How would Usain Bolt go in the 10,000 metres at the Olympics?

Yup makes sense.
That's right!
Marathon runners and endurance athletes have a higher percentage of slow-twitch fibres.
Slow-twitch fibres release energy slowly and in a more sustained way - which is ideal for endurance events.

So Spencer White may just have a higher percentage of fast-twitch fibres (a la Usain Bolt) - we all know he's fast and explosive and can take a high leap.

I'm sure our trainers take all this into account.

The following is an excerpt from a google article.

"The individual's ratio of fast-twitch to slow-twitch muscle fibre is genetically determined, making them more suited to certain sports or activities. The ratio of both types of muscle fibre varies in each individual and each muscle. In summary:

Ratio of fast to slow-twitch fibres is thought to be genetically determined.
The metabolic capabilities of both types of fibres can improve through specific strength and endurance training.
Sprinters and weight lifters have a large percentage of fast-twitch fibres.
Marathon runners generally have a higher percentage of slow twitch fibres.
Muscles that primarily maintain posture against gravity (core strength) require more endurance and generally have a higher percentage of slow-twitch fibres.
Muscles that produce powerful, rapid, explosive strength movements tend to have a greater percentage of fast-twitch fibres."
ok so I've now prepared myself for the disappointment that Spencer wont be with us in 2016 because he will be at the Olympics. I hope he at least wears his old Saints jumper in the warm ups - should help build our profile globally and attract a few more members. Perhaps we can get that elusive 25 by 25 - Im talking in millions of members not thousands.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

a couple more videos up from NZ
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-12- ... mance-camp

including singing the song at the Top-- well almost the top-- there were a couple more hills to go..

and compilation of activities.
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-12- ... ew-zealand

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

"Twenty-two Saints completed a two-kilometre time trial last week, with no fewer than 17 completing personal bests, and the others all coming within one to four seconds of their top marks since the club began organised running over the distance four years ago."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/o ... 2bej9.html

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Last training session for the year this morning

looking to a safe and happy break for all.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I was watching the Berlin Marathon not long ago and somewhat predictably, the Kenyans dominated. The winning time was an astonishing two hours and three minutes! That's forty-two kilometres in one hundred and twenty three minutes. So the winner pumped out forty two consecutive sub three minute kilometres. In a row. Without a break in between. The first three finishers looked as though they could have done it all again. They didn't appear to be sweating and they wouldn't have blown a candle out.

When I watched our boys finishing their two kilometre trials, I could see how hard they were going. Jack Newnes finished first in a time of around six minutes. He was, quite rightly, spent. Now imagine repeating that another twenty times! Then again, imagine how long those marathon runners would last in an AFL game. Probably as long as the first physical contest. That's if you could catch them.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I was watching the Berlin Marathon not long ago and somewhat predictably, the Kenyans dominated. The winning time was an astonishing two hours and three minutes! That's forty-two kilometres in one hundred and twenty three minutes. So the winner pumped out forty two consecutive sub three minute kilometres. In a row. Without a break in between. The first three finishers looked as though they could have done it all again. They didn't appear to be sweating and they wouldn't have blown a candle out.

When I watched our boys finishing their two kilometre trials, I could see how hard they were going. Jack Newnes finished first in a time of around six minutes. He was, quite rightly, spent. Now imagine repeating that another twenty times! Then again, imagine how long those marathon runners would last in an AFL game. Probably as long as the first physical contest. That's if you could catch them.
Great post WW. I have often had similar thoughts. It is difficult to really get your head around it. The fact these blokes do sub 3min ks - 42 times seems impossible. But somehow they do it. Its insane. Most people - even decent runners - couldnt even do one. So 42 in a row is just mind blowing.

Even an outstanding runner like Jack Newnes- could only keep pace with these blokes for 2km before stopping and completely pulling out. They keep going at that pace for another 40km.

Obviously footy requires other skills like tackling and ball skills. But its still bloody ridiculous what these marathoners do. Almost defies belief.

Saintberra
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:imagine how long those marathon runners would last in an AFL game. Probably as long as the first physical contest.
Probably until they get taken out by a bloke 30kg heavier :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

No Robert Harvey in the list of those who could go all day? What a joke. Banger was one of the best, if not the best, endurance athlete the AFL has ever seen.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I was watching the Berlin Marathon not long ago and somewhat predictably, the Kenyans dominated. The winning time was an astonishing two hours and three minutes! That's forty-two kilometres in one hundred and twenty three minutes. So the winner pumped out forty two consecutive sub three minute kilometres. In a row. Without a break in between. The first three finishers looked as though they could have done it all again. They didn't appear to be sweating and they wouldn't have blown a candle out.

Great post WW. I have often had similar thoughts. It is difficult to really get your head around it. The fact these blokes do sub 3min ks - 42 times seems impossible. But somehow they do it. Its insane. Most people - even decent runners - couldnt even do one. So 42 in a row is just mind blowing.

Even an outstanding runner like Jack Newnes- could only keep pace with these blokes for 2km before stopping and completely pulling out. They keep going at that pace for another 40km.

Obviously footy requires other skills like tackling and ball skills. But its still bloody ridiculous what these marathoners do. Almost defies belief.
The frightening thing is, Con, that the Kenyans believe they will pump out a sub two hour marathon within the next two years. The sub two hour mark is the same as the four minute mile mark was in the 1950's, an athletic holy grail that was long considered impossible. The Berlin course is one they've targeted, apparently, because it's very flat and the conditions are usually mild when it is run. Maybe we should start looking to Eastern Africa for recruits. Imagine these guys as outside runners, covering twice the distance of an average AFL player in a game.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Footy is more akin to interval training than marathon IMO......................stop, walk jog, run, sprint

“Yeah….nah””
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

If you stopped, walked, jogged, ran, then sprinted around these blokes, they would be out of sight fairly quickly. At the pace they run, they are going at about 70% of a full sprint for the entire game. Smokinnnnnnnnn'!!!!!!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No point comparing them to footy players but 42x sub 3min ks is fricking insane.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jack Lonie has done an ankle apparently.
Probably wont impact him too badly as he is already a good runner.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:No point comparing them to footy players but 42x sub 3min ks is fricking insane.
For an old bloke I am not a bad runner. Half Marathon at 2:08, and I run 8-10 k's probably twice a week. On a thursday night I do high cardio training with a group.

At the end of a training session recently we ran a 1.2 k time trial. We all ran at our top speed (without sprinting). Four of us did it under 5 minutes and I was absolutely spent, could have run another step.

To think there are units of the same species that can run kilometres @ 3 minutes for two hours is just mind boggling.

Then again when I did my last half marathon in a PB, Steve Monagetti ran it in 1:06. He is still travelling well for a 51 year old

You are garbage - Enough said
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
No Robert Harvey in the list of those who could go all day? What a joke. Banger was one of the best, if not the best, endurance athlete the AFL has ever seen.
It's an SA article, entirely focused on Adelaide and Port players.

PJ
SS Life Member

Really hope Hickey can stay on the park the coming season. He, IMO, could have a big impact. We haven't had a real dominant ruck for some time and he's really mobile. Haven't heard any reports on how he's going but you wouldn't expect any world records from a big man.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:No point comparing them to footy players but 42x sub 3min ks is fricking insane.
For an old bloke I am not a bad runner. Half Marathon at 2:08, and I run 8-10 k's probably twice a week. On a thursday night I do high cardio training with a group.

At the end of a training session recently we ran a 1.2 k time trial. We all ran at our top speed (without sprinting). Four of us did it under 5 minutes and I was absolutely spent, could have run another step.

To think there are units of the same species that can run kilometres @ 3 minutes for two hours is just mind boggling.

Then again when I did my last half marathon in a PB, Steve Monagetti ran it in 1:06. He is still travelling well for a 51 year old
Those are very handy times, BM, for anyone, let alone an Old bugger. I remember doing a pre season under Paul Callery in 1981 when I was just a whipper snapper in my absolute prime. The 3200 time trial was the measure in a time under 12 minutes. I managed that well enough, but the next session we were challenged to do the 5000 in 20 minutes. I made it, but thought I was going to die. It took me days to recover. It was that experience that got me wondering about the times that elite athletes could run. Callery himself ran it in about 17 and a half minutes. At that stage the world record for the marathon was around two hours eight minutes. Talk about slow twitch fibres. I must have left mine at the door!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Those are very handy times, BM, for anyone, let alone an Old bugger. I remember doing a pre season under Paul Callery in 1981 when I was just a whipper snapper in my absolute prime. The 3200 time trial was the measure in a time under 12 minutes. I managed that well enough, but the next session we were challenged to do the 5000 in 20 minutes. I made it, but thought I was going to die. It took me days to recover. It was that experience that got me wondering about the times that elite athletes could run. Callery himself ran it in about 17 and a half minutes. At that stage the world record for the marathon was around two hours eight minutes. Talk about slow twitch fibres. I must have left mine at the door!

Its funny on how you can get sucked in into running to fast in these long distances races. When I trained for a few marathons I struggled to run under 5 minute pace whether I ran 5 Ks or 20 ks but in one year I was running a marathon hoping to run around 5 minute pace and hopefully run just on 3.30 which would have smashed my best marathon time. At the half way mark I had somehow run 1.32 half marathon and was feeling great. It was going through my head that I would smash my best and may even run a 3.10 marathon but as any marathon runner knows that's impossible to keep up. 10k later I was cramping and just about shot. Ended up walking over the line in 3.40 which wasnt even my best. The last 21k took me 2.08. Never ran a marathon like that again. I remember seeing the leaders that day and was in awe of how fast and easy they were going and they only did a 2.12. I just cant imagine a 2.03 time but then those marathon runners couldn't imagine Plugger smashing inot the back of them. I think AFL footballers are some of the most versatile sports people in any sport in the world.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Good times, 3.40 is pretty handy, plugger. Better than I could've managed, but I was a power athlete, as I liked to delude myself. You're right about one thing and that is that AFL footballers are as versatile as they come in the sporting world. As for the elite runners, one meeting with Mr. Anthony Lockett would end their day, quick smart.