Jack Steven contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Re: Jack Steven contract

plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
70s sainter wrote:
gringo wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:I can see this guy leaving
I keep saying it, he can't leave as he's a free agent but a restricted one I believe. We have total control as we can match any contract offer he gets. He might get paid a lot of money but the only way he goes is if we can't afford him. Considering we are paying future amounts to meet minimum cap spend I think he will be at the Saints for a while yet. If he's waiting on a contract that's fine. His management should be trying to see what offers he gets because he is in his premium earning bracket. The guy was driving a 1990s commodore at the start of this year, he's probably due a good wage now.
I don't think any club has matched one of these high offers yet .
That's prob because you can get your early draft pick (prob around 2-3 for jack Steven ) and then spend that money on a free agent if you can get one .
End result = another gun midfielder for the same price + a very early draft pick as a bonus.
With other clubs doing the same thing with their own players it is prob creating its own market for free agents which is why jack Steven is being offered so much in the first place.
The more it happens - the more it happens .

We would have to wait a year to get a FA otherwise there is no point.
Allowing Jack Steven to walk is ridiculous, he doesn't strike me as someone who would leave anyway.

He strikes me like most people employed by someone. If there is a better job and more opportunity then you may take it.
More opportunity for what exactly? A chance for a flag? Good thing we didn't lose Lenny at 23 when we were on the bottom.

Wheel will turn and he has blokes around him that can remind him of that every day because they've lived it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
70s sainter wrote:
gringo wrote:
I keep saying it, he can't leave as he's a free agent but a restricted one I believe. We have total control as we can match any contract offer he gets. He might get paid a lot of money but the only way he goes is if we can't afford him. Considering we are paying future amounts to meet minimum cap spend I think he will be at the Saints for a while yet. If he's waiting on a contract that's fine. His management should be trying to see what offers he gets because he is in his premium earning bracket. The guy was driving a 1990s commodore at the start of this year, he's probably due a good wage now.
That's prob because you can get your early draft pick (prob around 2-3 for jack Steven ) and then spend that money on a free agent if you can get one .
End result = another gun midfielder for the same price + a very early draft pick as a bonus.
With other clubs doing the same thing with their own players it is prob creating its own market for free agents which is why jack Steven is being offered so much in the first place.

Allowing Jack Steven to walk is ridiculous, he doesn't strike me as someone who would leave anyway.

He strikes me like most people employed by someone. If there is a better job and more opportunity then you may take it.
More opportunity for what exactly? A chance for a flag? Good thing we didn't lose Lenny at 23 when we were on the bottom.

Wheel will turn and he has blokes around him that can remind him of that every day because they've lived it.
Yep a chance for a flag. Not everyone is like Lenny or Roo. I have no idea if he will leave but I don't know what a player looks like if they will leave or stay. I just hope he signs a contract in the next 3 or 4 months because if its any longer there must be huge doubts. By the way there was no FA when Lenny was younger. Who knows if that may have made a difference.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Yeah there was a big offer on the table for him!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:Yeah there was a big offer on the table for him!

For who? Lenny? Maybe there was. Cant remember but it wasn't as easy to just leave back then.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Yeah for Lenny, and it was easier then you think back then if someone wanted to leave they generally get the deal done history is full of those stories.

Nothing has changed in that respect, player wants out 9 times out of 10 club gets it done.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:Yeah for Lenny, and it was easier then you think back then if someone wanted to leave they generally get the deal done history is full of those stories.

Nothing has changed in that respect, player wants out 9 times out of 10 club gets it done.

How can it be easier than just basically walking out. You can even basically pick your own club now. Anyway it doesn't matter. Lenny stayed, hopefully Jack will. If he was brought up well then loyalty maybe important to him like it was with Lenny.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:Yeah for Lenny, and it was easier then you think back then if someone wanted to leave they generally get the deal done history is full of those stories.

How can it be easier than just basically walking out. You can even basically pick your own club now. Anyway it doesn't matter. Lenny stayed, hopefully Jack will. If he was brought up well then loyalty maybe important to him like it was with Lenny.
Didn't say it was easier just said it was still pretty easy to get to the club you wanted to get to before free agency.

Colbert to North
Brown To Richmond
Croad back to Hawthorn

The list is endless of guys of getting to there club of choice before FA

Only 1 I can think of that didn't get to where we he wanted to go was O'Keeffe to Hawthorn.

But also what I'm trying to say 95% of guys stay put!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Well, if the same people who brought up Lenny (for a year) also brought up Jack (for a year as well), as I believe they did, then all should be well.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well, if the same people who brought up Lenny (for a year) also brought up Jack (for a year as well), as I believe they did, then all should be well.

No idea what that means but I will just say Jamie Cripps.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Player movement does seem to be more fluid and acceptable. Even fans are accepting that players aren't slaves and have rights to work where they want to. Often it can be a cold blooded decision turning into a win/win for both clubs involved. We may not play final for 5 years because of how badly we failed to rebuild. Should Jack miss finals in his prime because the club failed to refresh player stocks properly? We don't seem to have as good a record with player injuries (esp because of playing on a concrete car park at Etihad) as some other teams who may get Jack firing on all cylinders again. Personally I hope Jack stays. He will keep us more competitive and give the young players a inspiration to work towards. The alternative is to get top pick young player who will hit his prime with the rest of the group but obviously there is a huge risk factor with green players. Its just that the footy world seems a much more calculating one than the more romantic world even just a decade ago.

Freebird
Club Player

If you worked for BHP and demanded a transfer from Melbourne to Brisbane would you get it if BHP thought your skills were needed more in Melbourne even though the Brisbane manager hunted you?
I guess you could leave BHP if they denied transfer.

How can you compare football to the normal working environment?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Freebird wrote:If you worked for BHP and demanded a transfer from Melbourne to Brisbane would you get it if BHP thought your skills were needed more in Melbourne even though the Brisbane manager hunted you?

You are correct, you cant.

As for Stevens, I think we should match any FA offer. We cant afford to lose just about the only player left that was developed when Lyon was coach. Him an Armo at least.

We cant be in a permanent state of rebuilding. We really need Steven to be around. If he plays to his best, he will be the leader of a group with Acres, Billings, Dunstan, McKenzie, Curran, Ross etc.

A pretty exciting bunch of midfielders but young midfielders.

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Freebird wrote:If you worked for BHP and demanded a transfer from Melbourne to Brisbane would you get it if BHP thought your skills were needed more in Melbourne even though the Brisbane manager hunted you?

As for Stevens, I think we should match any FA offer. We cant afford to lose just about the only player left that was developed when Lyon was coach. Him an Armo at least.

We cant be in a permanent state of rebuilding. We really need Steven to be around. If he plays to his best, he will be the leader of a group with Acres, Billings, Dunstan, McKenzie, Curran, Ross etc.

And the. Some are assuming we sell off Steven for a draft pick then try to buy a fa with the savings.... Only if we lose our stars then we look as appealing as contracting Ebola. That could result in a player like shambling and the loss of a star. It would be idiotic. We can't afford the precedent it sets. So far the top of the ladder clubs are attracting the better fa players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

And the. Some are assuming we sell off Steven for a draft pick then try to buy a fa with the savings.... Only if we lose our stars then we look as appealing as contracting Ebola. That could result in a player like shambling and the loss of a star. It would be idiotic. We can't afford the precedent it sets. So far the top of the ladder clubs are attracting the better fa players.
I'm not sure I have read a single person say we should sell Steven off.
People have only discussed the scenario (hypothetical) where he wants to go.

What if he says I really want to play at X club (not to be confused with Club X).

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

X Club ?? where is it based ? not another club.....

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:X Club ?? where is it based ? not another club.....
Haven't you heard Fireman? The AFL is expanding to 19 teams next year. Then each year they are adding another team. The AFL is sick of american sounding names so they are using generic names. They are starting with X club and will continue through the alphabet until there are 44 teams.
Then there will be a 43 week H&A season (each team playing the others once) followed by an 8 week finals series with one week off before we start the new season. :D
Might have to start saving for the membership now :shock:

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Haven't you heard Fireman? The AFL is expanding to 19 teams next year. Then each year they are adding another team. The AFL is sick of american sounding names so they are using generic names. They are starting with X club and will continue through the alphabet until there are 44 teams.
Then there will be a 43 week H&A season (each team playing the others once) followed by an 8 week finals series with one week off before we start the new season. :D
Will club X get 12 of the top 14 draft picks this year and then the next?

8856brother wrote:
remboy wrote:
Will club X get 12 of the top 14 draft picks this year and then the next?
Sorry, forgot to mention that while clubs A to Z are being set up the draft will be slightly compromised by the new clubs having the first 20 picks and first call on all free agents. And free agency for this purpose will be expanded to any player who has been with their current club for at least 12 months.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
70s sainter wrote:
gringo wrote:

not everyone is a whore...lenny wasn't.....roo certainly isn't...nor were any of the club's true champions......that might be a concept that some posters might find difficult to comprehend....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
70s sainter wrote:
gringo wrote:

not everyone is a whore...lenny wasn't.....roo certainly isn't...nor were any of the club's true champions......that might be a concept that some posters might find difficult to comprehend....

And I thought you rated Carl. And of course plugger wasn't a real club champion. Maybe think a bit more before you post next time.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7213704655
ST KILDA is well on the way to securing star free agent Jack Steven with negotiations on track for a long- term deal.

Steven was in brilliant form in winning the 2013 best-and-fairest before being hit by injury in the first half of last season.

Many of the emerging stars of struggling clubs are being courted with big offers to move clubs but it Steven is set to stay put.

St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Baines told the Herald Sun talks were well under way to lock away the pacy 24-year-old midfielder.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

More positive news coming out of the club! Great stuff Sainters...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

And today, Mr. Bains seems confident we can get him to renew his contract soon. Part of it should be that he agrees to shave off that manchild beard. http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-1 ... -put-bains

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vazelos
Club Player

Stating the obvious when I say a crucial signing for the Saints.
A near elite fast line breaking mid fielder heading towards his prime.
Get it done Ameet!!
Send a message to the rest this group is staying thick for the next premiership tilt!!
Go Saints!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:Yeah there was a big offer on the table for him!

For who? Lenny? Maybe there was. Cant remember but it wasn't as easy to just leave back then.
if you read his book youd know it was sydney looking to get another nsw boy back home