Markworth - Serious Shoulder Injury

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Markworth - Serious Shoulder Injury

Bernard Shakey wrote: He wasn't picked this week because he hurt the shoulder two weeks ago in the intraclub, not because Richo doesn't want to play him.
If this is the reason, then I don't think it is being communicated very effectively…

this could be on purpose though as from what I can gather Richo has been trying the tough-love approach with Daniel, probably trying to fire him up.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:Regardless of how careful and diligent the club have been, shoulders don't generally just pop out unless there is damage there already, and ligaments and tendons have already been stretched. Can't just be a coincidence imo. Obviously there was more damage to his shoulder than the club realised from his knock the other week. I don't believe he was just unlucky.

So you don't think they had it xrayed? I will bet they did. They get xrays for more minor things than that and considering he had previous trouble with it I would say it was certain they did.

It's been xrayed twice in the last four days. Pluggers right.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:Regardless of how careful and diligent the club have been, shoulders don't generally just pop out unless there is damage there already, and ligaments and tendons have already been stretched. Can't just be a coincidence imo. Obviously there was more damage to his shoulder than the club realised from his knock the other week. I don't believe he was just unlucky.

So you don't think they had it xrayed? I will bet they did. They get xrays for more minor things than that and considering he had previous trouble with it I would say it was certain they did.
Do x-rays show if a ligament, or ligaments have been stretched? I don't know the answer to that. I have had a shoulder reco, and when your shoulder is not dislocated it feels ok. But once your ligaments are stretched your shoulder tends to pop out quite easily. Mine used to pop out sometimes closing a door. Not sure of the circumstances behind Markworth's injury this week. Once there's damage, it only gets worse.

You will be right though.
I'm no authority on the topic but I've had plenty of ankle injuries and have had ultrasounds to identify ligament damage, x-rays to my knowledge can only identify broken/fractured bones.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Looks like time is running out

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Kernal75
Club Player

This will test the clubs ability to stand by its players. Look at Hawthorn and Max Bailey. He was on the list for 6 years with no games and 3 knee reco's. Finally gets a run at it and plays in a premiership. I hope they retain him and keep him on the list. Good clubs have the balls to make these tough decisions, it's about time we became one of the

Mooksy
Club Player

Another wasted pick.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Poor bastard.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Such a shame he was starting to have some luck then the season came and it all fell apart. He's a pretty upbeat guy so I think he will cope okay. Him and Siposs can't take a trick.

oldie60
Club Player

I just hope the kid isn't a recent version of Jarryd Allen.Poor kids who show promise and get tested both physically and mentally. Even with today's medical advances an individual will question as to why he should keep going. I hope both he and the club see it out and he gets a few years of football out of himself. Keep your head up son.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Same question. Does an x-ray show ligament damage?

tony74 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry, probably were scans. All I know was he was at the clinic twice in the last few days!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

oldie60 wrote:I just hope the kid isn't a recent version of Jarryd Allen.Poor kids who show promise and get tested both physically and mentally. Even with today's medical advances an individual will question as to why he should keep going. I hope both he and the club see it out and he gets a few years of football out of himself. Keep your head up son.
Jarred needed a hip replacement in his early 20s. Markworth seems to have a body that lets him down. last I heard Jarrad had cut fingers off doing his trade work so played country footy with a plastic bag tied over the bandages. Daniel is a very smart kid doing bio medicine and has a pretty solid future if footy doesn't take him where it should. I feel more for Allen than Daniel, Jarrad shattered the whole joint in his hip like something from a serious car crash. He had a huge medical bill and needed to invent a future for himself. I think if Daniel left footy he would pretty quickly go to a highly paid career.

Playon
Club Player

oldie60 wrote:I just hope the kid isn't a recent version of Jarryd Allen.Poor kids who show promise and get tested both physically and mentally. Even with today's medical advances an individual will question as to why he should keep going. I hope both he and the club see it out and he gets a few years of football out of himself. Keep your head up son.
I would hope that if his career is over that the club looks after him, the Jarryd Allen story is a disgrace
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 23zu4.html

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It could well be goodbye Mr Markworth, thanks for trying. players have to go at the end of every season, for whatever reason.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Schillaci
Club Player

Gotta feel for him. Wish him all the best. He'll need it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sad to hear

I'd say his career is over. Can't play can't develop

lefty
Club Player

I'd like the club to stick by Markworth and Siposs to be honest.

There are a lot of dooms dayers on this forum, to be honest, the ones who are in trouble are the older guys and the players who haven't been injured yet haven't made enough impact.

I doubt anyone can say, oh he doesn't have the body for it, yada yada, all it takes is one knock or twist to anyone and the same thing can happen. Shoulder reco's are a common thing, along with knees and a lot of other stuff. I'd be more worried if there were continual soft tissue injuries.

Megamaguire
Club Player

GOOD LUCK Dan Markworth

Mentally it must be terrible. Sometimes it's a very cruel situation. All I can do is hope for the guy.

GOOD LUCK Dan !!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
bigballs
Club Player

The best thing that Dan's got going for him is that he's still young enough to overcome any injury setback. I'm sure he'll come back stronger both mentally and physically when the time comes again to give it another crack.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote: He wasn't picked this week because he hurt the shoulder two weeks ago in the intraclub, not because Richo doesn't want to play him.
If this is the reason, then I don't think it is being communicated very effectively…

this could be on purpose though as from what I can gather Richo has been trying the tough-love approach with Daniel, probably trying to fire him up.

You need the footy to start Draggers, your starting to get all Big Mart lately :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:

You need the footy to start Draggers, your starting to get all Big Mart lately :)

I like how Dragit posts. Says it like it really is instead of getting all gushy about just about every player. We seem to think most of the kids we have drafted in the last few years will make it when history says about 50% will be gone in 4 years. I know its a Saints site but its good to hear honest opinions. Big Mart liked either hindsight or calling a player out after one game. Neither make to make sense or show you know anything about footy. I certainly have done the same on a player or two not every second post.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend