NAB Challenge 2: Saints v Topups

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB Challenge 2: Saints v Topups

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Wow - came over here to read what was being written, biggest bunch of whining and negativity I have never read.

Yes our disposal has been ordinary, but it improved in the second quarter.

Essendons game plan is to play close in the back half and try to score on the break. Chapman torpedoing it says it all.

Make a scrap of it was their only chance.

As they get tired the Saints should run over them pretty easily.

But I do agree they need to improve their disposal efficiency. Turnovers aren't hurting here, but against a real team will kill us stone dead.

It is a practice match after all and there are plenty of youngens out there
watched the game at dad's - get home and i'm this far into this thread and Bunk's post says exactly what i'm thinking - what a bunch of negative, pessismistic knockers on this thread. be interesting reading ahead. saw some very positive things from the youngsters, quite happy with the performance.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mullet
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Wow - came over here to read what was being written, biggest bunch of whining and negativity I have never read.

Essendons game plan is to play close in the back half and try to score on the break. Chapman torpedoing it says it all.

But I do agree they need to improve their disposal efficiency. Turnovers aren't hurting here, but against a real team will kill us stone dead.

watched the game at dad's - get home and i'm this far into this thread and Bunk's post says exactly what i'm thinking - what a bunch of negative, pessismistic knockers on this thread. be interesting reading ahead. saw some very positive things from the youngsters, quite happy with the performance.
Agree. They are trying to play a brand of football that moves the ball quickly. As the commentators said we had 12 different goal scorers.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bruce
Sinclair
Ross
Lonie

Impressed me the most.

Goddard is much much bigger than what I was expecting. Didn't realise he was 95kgs already. Geez! Big as in through the shoulders.

Membrey played the medium forward role perfectly.

Saunders good but his disposal seems part of his game... Not sure how much improvement is there.

Bruce again - amazing effort from what I was expecting.

Hickey looked good when on.

Acres looks like a different player - quickly filling out his 190cm frame.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Does McKenzie remind any of you guys of Luke Beveridge in body shape - or is it just me?
?
Are you trying for the weirdest most irrelevant, inaccurate, irreverent post of the year because you might have just won hands down .

I think if you posted on a sailing event in bhutan it might have more relevance or structure.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
samoht wrote:Does McKenzie remind any of you guys of Luke Beveridge in body shape - or is it just me?
?
Are you trying for the weirdest most irrelevant, inaccurate, irreverent post of the year because you might have just won hands down .

I think if you posted on a sailing event in bhutan it might have more relevance or structure.
C'mon Con, don't be like that… the likeness is scary, could be twins. :idea:

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Agree. They are trying to play a brand of football that moves the ball quickly. As the commentators said we had 12 different goal scorers.
I wonder if that's because everyone is not kicking it to Rooey.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
mullet wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Love Rooey and the bloke is an all time champion and hall of famer.
But sometimes you have to giggle when he has 4 blokes on his hammer and someone passes to a free Saint on his own who scores an easy goal and Rooey still does his block cos the bloke didnt pass to him. Its just his competitive nature. he always wants the ball. Its what makes him a champ. But sometimes we do pass it to him too much when hes not in the best position.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

[quote
Love Rooey and the bloke is an all time champion and hall of famer.
But sometimes you have to giggle when he has 4 blokes on his hammer and someone passes to a free Saint on his own who scores an easy goal and Rooey still does his block cos the bloke didnt pass to him. Its just his competitive nature. he always wants the ball. Its what makes him a champ. But sometimes we do pass it to him too much when hes not in the best position

][/quote]

Ah Con I said nearly the exact same thing last season and as a result I thought I was going to be lynched.
I love him too and he is a champion and champions demand the ball.
But successful teams spread the goal kicking around.
I wish we had a team of Rooey's though.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Good to read so many negative opinions from armchair experts; just reinforces my view that the term "fan forum" is too often a misnomer on this site. :shock:

Just a reminder, it's Labour Day weekend and a practice match not the match-of-the-round in mid-August. For those unable to make the game, or believe that Morwell is the gateway to hell, I'd like to post my own thoughts. Lucky me, only a 25 minute drive to the match. The ground is only about a 500 metre walk from the railway station and about 12 trains run on Saturdays and 19 on weekdays so lack of public transport doesn't qualify as an excuse for staying home.

The ground itself was in outstanding condition with a beautiful surface, especially when we play most of our games at Etihad. The rec reserve itself is expansive with plenty of move for the 5,524 who attended to move around. The walk from the main street to the ground bought back memories of walking up the side streets to Linton St and was an enjoyable reminiscence. Plenty of food and drink available with beer served in cans, not bloody useless plastic cups. And only $5 a can! Churchill Lions Clubs served up a storm with hot chips and hot dogs at $4 each and soft drinks $3. Cop that Etihad!

Now, the "match". Essendon's resting of BJ, Jimmy Gwilt and Joe Daniher was an insult to its faithful supporters and made it difficult to guage as a contest. The Saints were always going to win comfortably, the question being by how much and how. Here is my take:

- Clinton Jones may not be an elite footballer but he is still good enough to be playing AFL somewhere.
- Jack Steven is one of our very elite players and must be signed by us at all costs at any cost. On his second half today he looks to have a ripping season ahead.
- Jason Holmes still appears a little lost on the field but, boy, he is a big unit, a good kick and his ruck work was very good. Must be persevered with by the developmen coaches.
- McCartin has good skills and knows how to play; he just got shoved under the ball consistently today and was pretty ineffectual. Not all yearlings are ready to run in the Blue Diamond, this kid's a Derby colt.
- Josh Bruce doesn't get enough of the ball. However, his endeavour is terrific and if he keeps working at it will prove a good foil for Roo. Stops the ball from racing out of our forward line.
- Seb Ross (I watched his hammy go as he bent over for the ball) has improved. A lot. A key moment in the second quarter when he made a lead, marked and goaled - he wouldn't have had the confidence to have made that move last year Showed leadership and will play a big role in our midfield (injuries allowing).
- Tim Membrey is very strong and not yet 21. Good overhead, quick and a good kick. Thankyou Swans!
- Luke Dunstan was very rusty, kicked poorly at times.
- Ahmed Saad is a pretty good rookie pick-up. Stuff Essendon.
- Monty played HBF all day and got plenty of the ball. It would be a luxury if we could afford to play him there most of the season. If we can we are travelling OK.
- Jack Newnes - great tackler, cool head, flies under the radar. Really good player.
- Tom Hickey - welcome back big fella. He was pretty good when he came on and I reckon he will continue to develop into a fine player.
- Shaun Dempster - is it just me or does his hairdresser try to make him look younger each season?
- Jarryn Geary - serviceable and ferocious at the ball at all times. Bang on about his kicking as much as you like because he is buggered when he kicks - he's not playing kick to kick in the back yard.
- Josh Saunders is no star. Gets the ball but is scrappy and needs to improve to stay on our list.
- Cam Shenton - see Saunders. Continual building of his tank essential.
- Hugh Goddard looked a little lost at times and I am not sure he is ready yet. That said his 1%'s tell me he is all class and can play. Just needs to get up to the tempo of the game.
- Eli only started getting his hands on the ball as the Bummers tired. Needs match practice.
- Blake Acres impressed me. My first up-close look at him and he has an impressive physique, bigger than I had imagined. Showed he has a good footy brain; just needs game time.
- Minchington is quick and has beautiful disposal. Still young and has a future, just give him game time.
- Nat Wright - serviceable but not the potential star many of us hoped for last year. Must continue to improve.
- Mav Weller is someone I'd like to have beside me if I walked into the wrong pub. Didn't do a lot but you could use him to crush rocks.
- Jack Lonie was super impressive and looks AFL material. A really smart player, proof there is still a place for natural footballers rather than athletes in the modern game. Has a big X factor, we must look after him.
- Billy Longer is still a work in progress but, fortunately for us, he is progressing!
- Sinclair did some good things for a young rookie. Gets to the fall of the ball and stands his ground well.

All in all, we have a list full of goers but not too many that are capable of grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck. Put Roo and Sammy Fisher back in the team and we get more focus and stability for and aft. Shame those two aren't 10 years younger. We will improve this year but I am not expecting too much. Certainly, we will be more competitive.

There was plenty to like at Morwell, certainly terrific to see the Saints play in Gippsland. It was a great day for the Saints supporters who made the effort to be there.

Saint supporter since '62
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
?

Think he meant Jack Sinclair....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the summary Trev.

Fantastic .

Nice to get a summary that tells it as it is.

Glad you enjoyed the beer and chips too and the walk

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Love Rooey and the bloke is an all time champion and hall of famer.
But sometimes you have to giggle when he has 4 blokes on his hammer and someone passes to a free Saint on his own who scores an easy goal and Rooey still does his block cos the bloke didnt pass to him. Its just his competitive nature. He always wants the ball. Its one of the things that makes him a champ. But sometimes we do pass it to him when hes not in the best position.
Ah Con I said nearly the exact same thing last season and as a result I thought I was going to be lynched.
I love him too and he is a champion and champions demand the ball.
But successful teams spread the goal kicking around.
I wish we had a team of Rooey's though.
Certainly the kind of blasphemy that can you lynched in these 'ere neck of the woods :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
?

I figured as much. But I had to say something :) . Luke Beveridge's body shape? A bloke who played 45 games for the Saints in the 90s. I mean that's pretty left-field at the best of times.

p.s to samoht. I was only kidding. :D
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 08 Mar 2015 12:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Terrific Review Trev.

Highlights for me:

Mav Weller is someone I'd like to have beside me if I walked into the wrong pub. Didn't do a lot but you could use him to crush rocks.
And only $5 a can! Churchill Lions Clubs served up a storm with hot chips and hot dogs at $4 each and soft drinks $3. Cop that Etihad!
And your knowledge on the train timetable.

Top Stuff.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
mullet wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Are you serious. We just beat a side that probably had one player in their top 22. We probably had 13 or 14. Of course we are better with Rooy at FF or CHF. lets make a deal, if you feel the same way when we play the Hawks I may concede a little otherwise Rooy as a forward, even if they kick it to him to much, makes us a much better side. Please remember our opposition today before we make comments.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Good to read so many negative opinions from armchair experts; just reinforces my view that the term "fan forum" is too often a misnomer on this site. :shock:

Just a reminder, it's Labour Day weekend and a practice match not the match-of-the-round in mid-August. For those unable to make the game, or believe that Morwell is the gateway to hell, I'd like to post my own thoughts. Lucky me, only a 25 minute drive to the match. The ground is only about a 500 metre walk from the railway station and about 12 trains run on Saturdays and 19 on weekdays so lack of public transport doesn't qualify as an excuse for staying home.

The ground itself was in outstanding condition with a beautiful surface, especially when we play most of our games at Etihad. The rec reserve itself is expansive with plenty of move for the 5,524 who attended to move around. The walk from the main street to the ground bought back memories of walking up the side streets to Linton St and was an enjoyable reminiscence. Plenty of food and drink available with beer served in cans, not bloody useless plastic cups. And only $5 a can! Churchill Lions Clubs served up a storm with hot chips and hot dogs at $4 each and soft drinks $3. Cop that Etihad!

Now, the "match". Essendon's resting of BJ, Jimmy Gwilt and Joe Daniher was an insult to its faithful supporters and made it difficult to guage as a contest. The Saints were always going to win comfortably, the question being by how much and how. Here is my take:

- Clinton Jones may not be an elite footballer but he is still good enough to be playing AFL somewhere.
- Jack Steven is one of our very elite players and must be signed by us at all costs at any cost. On his second half today he looks to have a ripping season ahead.
- Jason Holmes still appears a little lost on the field but, boy, he is a big unit, a good kick and his ruck work was very good. Must be persevered with by the developmen coaches.
- McCartin has good skills and knows how to play; he just got shoved under the ball consistently today and was pretty ineffectual. Not all yearlings are ready to run in the Blue Diamond, this kid's a Derby colt.
- Josh Bruce doesn't get enough of the ball. However, his endeavour is terrific and if he keeps working at it will prove a good foil for Roo. Stops the ball from racing out of our forward line.
- Seb Ross (I watched his hammy go as he bent over for the ball) has improved. A lot. A key moment in the second quarter when he made a lead, marked and goaled - he wouldn't have had the confidence to have made that move last year Showed leadership and will play a big role in our midfield (injuries allowing).
- Tim Membrey is very strong and not yet 21. Good overhead, quick and a good kick. Thankyou Swans!
- Monty played HBF all day and got plenty of the ball. It would be a luxury if we could afford to play him there most of the season. If we can we are travelling OK.
- Jack Newnes - great tackler, cool head, flies under the radar. Really good player.
- Tom Hickey - welcome back big fella. He was pretty good when he came on and I reckon he will continue to develop into a fine player.
- Shaun Dempster - is it just me or does his hairdresser try to make him look younger each season?
- Jarryn Geary - serviceable and ferocious at the ball at all times. Bang on about his kicking as much as you like because he is buggered when he kicks - he's not playing kick to kick in the back yard.
- Josh Saunders is no star. Gets the ball but is scrappy and needs to improve to stay on our list.
- Hugh Goddard looked a little lost at times and I am not sure he is ready yet. That said his 1%'s tell me he is all class and can play. Just needs to get up to the tempo of the game.
- Eli only started getting his hands on the ball as the Bummers tired. Needs match practice.
- Blake Acres impressed me. My first up-close look at him and he has an impressive physique, bigger than I had imagined. Showed he has a good footy brain; just needs game time.
- Minchington is quick and has beautiful disposal. Still young and has a future, just give him game time.
- Nat Wright - serviceable but not the potential star many of us hoped for last year. Must continue to improve.
- Mav Weller is someone I'd like to have beside me if I walked into the wrong pub. Didn't do a lot but you could use him to crush rocks.
- Jack Lonie was super impressive and looks AFL material. A really smart player, proof there is still a place for natural footballers rather than athletes in the modern game. Has a big X factor, we must look after him.
- Billy Longer is still a work in progress but, fortunately for us, he is progressing!
- Sinclair did some good things for a young rookie. Gets to the fall of the ball and stands his ground well.

All in all, we have a list full of goers but not too many that are capable of grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck. Put Roo and Sammy Fisher back in the team and we get more focus and stability for and aft. Shame those two aren't 10 years younger. We will improve this year but I am not expecting too much. Certainly, we will be more competitive.

There was plenty to like at Morwell, certainly terrific to see the Saints play in Gippsland. It was a great day for the Saints supporters who made the effort to be there.
Perfect summary

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Good to read so many negative opinions from armchair experts; just reinforces my view that the term "fan forum" is too often a misnomer on this site. :shock:

I think people are allowed to say what they think and if its positive then great but if they see negative well they have a right to say that as well. We played a VFL side so there is no point in going over the top with credits. And playing a VFL side doesn't make your skills poor and if we are honest we do have some young guys who clearly have poor skills. And of course there were things to like as well but I think it would be better for those players who have played both games to look at both games to see how players are going because of the opposition today. On that basis that is why I was super impressed with 3 players and they are Lonie, Bruce and Ross who unfortunately wont play round one. The write up is good but just one thing, Steven didn't play at all in the last quarter.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sun 08 Mar 2015 9:02am, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

WinnersOnly wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
?

Sure did, WinnersOnly. See if I said Sinclair, then it would have been a leading question.
So you too obviously see the resemblance (Sinclair-Beveridge), as did Con (from a post further up).

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Fireman wrote:josh Bruce....... Real deal
Looked OK, but up against a reserve team.

Tommy Walsh kicked 5 for us in the reserves one day

Go back and watch last week against a near full strength Brisbane, he was very good then too. Minus the scoreboard obviously. He has some real Hammer style defensive pressure and takes a nice grab when needed.

Lonie was a great pick, I wanted Caleb Daniel with that pick but I can now honestly say I glad they didn't get Petracca or Daniel after picking up Lonie and Mc Cartin.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Fireman wrote:josh Bruce....... Real deal
Looked OK, but up against a reserve team.

Tommy Walsh kicked 5 for us in the reserves one day

Go back and watch last week against a near full strength Brisbane, he was very good then too. Minus the scoreboard obviously. He has some real Hammer style defensive pressure and takes a nice grab when needed.

Lonie was a great pick, I wanted Caleb Daniel with that pick but I can now honestly say I glad they didn't get Petracca or Daniel after picking up Lonie and Mc Cartin.

At least you aren't going early. I can honestly say we wont know for at least 3 years whether we made the right decision or not. Doesn't really matter though because we cant do anything about it whoever ends up better.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I think people are allowed to say what they think and if its positive then great but if they see negative well they have a right to say that as well. We played a VFL side so there is no point in going over the top with credits. And playing a VFL side doesn't make your skills poor and if we are honest we do have some young guys who clearly have poor skills. And of course there were things to like as well but I think it would be better for those players who have played both games to look at both games to see how players are going because of the opposition today. On that basis that is why I was super impressed with 3 players and they are Lonie, Bruce and Ross who unfortunately wont play round one. The write up is good but just one thing, Steven didn't play at all in the last quarter.

I thought you said you didn't bag players? We have what we have, if your team doesn't have Hawks like disposal you play hard uncompromising football. That's why Ross got us to GFs because he played a game plan to cover the holes. Yeah there are some iffy kicks but the back line pressure has improved in both games and Brisbane were forced to kick from a long way out or rely on umpires to get clear shots on goal and even without the better players from last week they still looked disciplined. We have improvement from a handful of players and lost two of the better players from last week in Savage and Roberton. Fisher sures us up too. Mc Cartin was out of his depth a bit but looks like he has some great endeavour. We have found another beauty in Lonie. He was in a moon boot a month ago and he's playing like a 100 game player already. Bruce has taken note of the fact that 3 guys want his spot and is playing like he wants to own it. Steven reminds us how much we missed him. Joey's back. No great spectacle but nothing wrong except an alarmingly bad run with soft tissue injuries.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I thought you said you didn't bag players? We have what we have, if your team doesn't have Hawks like disposal you play hard uncompromising football. That's why Ross got us to GFs because he played a game plan to cover the holes. Yeah there are some iffy kicks but the back line pressure has improved in both games and Brisbane were forced to kick from a long way out or rely on umpires to get clear shots on goal and even without the better players from last week they still looked disciplined. We have improvement from a handful of players and lost two of the better players from last week in Savage and Roberton. Fisher sures us up too. Mc Cartin was out of his depth a bit but looks like he has some great endeavour. We have found another beauty in Lonie. He was in a moon boot a month ago and he's playing like a 100 game player already. Bruce has taken note of the fact that 3 guys want his spot and is playing like he wants to own it. Steven reminds us how much we missed him. Joey's back. No great spectacle but nothing wrong except an alarmingly bad run with soft tissue injuries.
I don't say lets sack this player or that player but if players have poor skills I will say it. I have no idea why you even quoted my post except just to bag me.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

- Seb Ross ... has improved. A lot. A key moment in the second quarter when he made a lead, marked and goaled - he wouldn't have had the confidence to have made that move last year Showed leadership and will play a big role in our midfield (injuries allowing).
Yes, the injury is very disappointing along with those to Billings, Ray and Savage. I like this kid. He's not quick, but he thinks quick.

I was quite impressed with Membrey and Josh Bruce, both of whom I feel will play forward in Round 1.

Goddard looks a good prospect.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Again the doomsayers appear not to know the game. Yet again there was a lot to like, as there was last week, despite the opposition.

It is now clear what Richo's game plan is and the team is executing it reasonably well. The particularly pleasing aspect of yesterday's game, which got me really excited, were our clean hands around the stoppages.

Cameron Bruce showed he is more than capable of playing Riewoldt's hit up to the wings role and that means that Riewoldt can play closer to goal. This will make Riewoldt a more dangerous proposition for our opponents and may even prolong his career.

Mc Cartin is physically ready to play which will accelerate his development. Whilst we need to keep a lid on it (unlike Melbourne with Watts) the boy reminds me of another big log that played for us once upon a time, whom we affectionately called Plugger.

Hugh Goddard is a Gorilla and will be a fine KPP whether back or forward.

We have all been excited about Dunstan & Billings, well you can add Acres to that list, he plays a lot taller than he is and will grow into a brute.

Saad's resurrection and improvement is amazing. If Saad applies such strength of character for the rest of his career he will be quite a player. And I'll admit I was not a great fan of his prior to his suspension.

Holmes will be an AFL player and quite a good one and fellow ruckman Hickey will be a great monster of a ruckman, he will be a far superior ruckman than McEvoy.

Armitage and Steven appear to have stepped up to the plate post Lenny and are in really good nick.

I'm excited about our list, I am confident that it is better than the last one and I don't think we'll be waiting too long for an upward trajectory.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Again the doomsayers appear not to know the game. Yet again there was a lot to like, as there was last week, despite the opposition.

It is now clear what Richo's game plan is and the team is executing it reasonably well. The particularly pleasing aspect of yesterday's game, which got me really excited, were our clean hands around the stoppages.

Cameron Bruce showed he is more than capable of playing Riewoldt's hit up to the wings role and that means that Riewoldt can play closer to goal. This will make Riewoldt a more dangerous proposition for our opponents and may even prolong his career.

Mc Cartin is physically ready to play which will accelerate his development. Whilst we need to keep a lid on it (unlike Melbourne with Watts) the boy reminds me of another big log that played for us once upon a time, whom we affectionately called Plugger.

Hugh Goddard is a Gorilla and will be a fine KPP whether back or forward.

We have all been excited about Dunstan & Billings, well you can add Acres to that list, he plays a lot taller than he is and will grow into a brute.

Saad's resurrection and improvement is amazing. If Saad applies such strength of character for the rest of his career he will be quite a player. And I'll admit I was not a great fan of his prior to his suspension.

Holmes will be an AFL player and quite a good one and fellow ruckman Hickey will be a great monster of a ruckman, he will be a far superior ruckman than McEvoy.

Armitage and Steven appear to have stepped up to the plate post Lenny and are in really good nick.

I'm excited about our list, I am confident that it is better than the last one and I don't think we'll be waiting too long for an upward trajectory.
I read the thread again and cant see any doomsayers. I did read people saying certain players lack skill and that is fact not opinion. I must have watched 2 different games regarding Saad. Looks the same stay home forward pocket goal sneek as before. he will be in and out of the side IMO. And I hope you are right about Hickey but at the moment Ben Has been one of the better players in a winning GF. And to be honest IMO the current list is no where near as good as the last one. We are at least 5 excellent players short of that list. maybe up to 10 players short of the previous list. It will hopefully come but we are nowhere near it yet. The positives after 2 games have been Lonie, Newnes and Bruce. The real negative is we have lost 2 players for around half a season.