Spencer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: Spencer

Wonders if he has more endurance than Kosi? From what I've read and heard Kosi didn't train the house down.
Looks more to me like he's out of favour with the coach and wont be given a chance one way or the other.

FQF
SS Life Member

Playon wrote:Wonders if he has more endurance than Kosi? From what I've read and heard Kosi didn't train the house down.
Looks more to me like he's out of favour with the coach and wont be given a chance one way or the other.
It does seem that way.

Playon
Club Player

Well it happens in all clubs and players are rated differently by different coaches, The only thing that annoys me about this is sometimes players don't even get the opportunity to fail. They are marked fail straight away, Just as well we're playing finals this year.
Unless its a medical condition the NAB cup is a good opportunity for a young player to experience whats required as an AFL player and may drive them to do more,

saint6709
Club Player

Playon wrote:Well it happens in all clubs and players are rated differently by different coaches, The only thing that annoys me about this is sometimes players don't even get the opportunity to fail. They are marked fail straight away, Just as well we're playing finals this year.
Unless its a medical condition the NAB cup is a good opportunity for a young player to experience whats required as an AFL player and may drive them to do more,
Sounds like it is a medical condition- hopefully it can be sorted out and he can get a good lung full of aiir and be able to perform - sounds concerning to me

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Playon wrote:Wonders if he has more endurance than Kosi? From what I've read and heard Kosi didn't train the house down.
It does seem that way.

I seriously doubt kosi was winning the 3km time trials, beep tests or the fwd pressure rankings.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:If he doesn't , or can't, ramp it up this season then he he might end up as Spencer Shite

Just sayin' :wink:
Ok ok - how long have you been waiting to bring that one out :D

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I remember Tony74 reported a few weeks ago Spencer was working hard in training.
Not sure why he is in the dog house suddenly.
Sounds to me like the coaches are trying to make him something hes not.
If hes not an endurance athlete then lets play to his strengths. How far does Tom Hawkins run?
I'm seeing some signs some of the young guys are feeling like they aren't given a chance. Spencer, Lee, Simpkin and a few others aren't getting games and seeing others pass them. I hope we aren't reverse Wattersing the the team. The third and fourth year players by- passed for newer kids who came after Richo arrived.

Its Whites fault. He doesn't train hard enough. Lee was given a chance in the first game and was poor. Simpkin is injured. Nearly everyone who is fit has played. I don't understand what you mean.

I thought Lee was as serviceable as Mc Cartin and Spencer looked okay in the intraclub. Simpkin wasn't injured all last year as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I remember Tony74 reported a few weeks ago Spencer was working hard in training.
Not sure why he is in the dog house suddenly.
Sounds to me like the coaches are trying to make him something hes not.
If hes not an endurance athlete then lets play to his strengths. How far does Tom Hawkins run?
I'm seeing some signs some of the young guys are feeling like they aren't given a chance. Spencer, Lee, Simpkin and a few others aren't getting games and seeing others pass them. I hope we aren't reverse Wattersing the the team. The third and fourth year players by- passed for newer kids who came after Richo arrived.

Its Whites fault. He doesn't train hard enough. Lee was given a chance in the first game and was poor. Simpkin is injured. Nearly everyone who is fit has played. I don't understand what you mean.

I thought Lee was as serviceable as Mc Cartin and Spencer looked okay in the intraclub. Simpkin wasn't injured all last year as well.

Seriously forget intraclubs. They are playing against a side that lost by 100 points last night. Lee was less than serviceable first game and was even worse last year. I have no idea why you are comparing Lee and Mccartin first game. I would love Tom to make it but he has been injured this year and doesn't really have a spot. Who does he play ahead of. AR did the right thing and tried him as defensive forward but that was always going to fail. White just isn't fit for AFL footy. He got a one year contract for a reason.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sounds to me like the coaches are trying to make him something hes not.
Exactly, Con. Not everyone is an endurance freak like Riewoldt. He may be more the short burst type

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spencer is gone it seems.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:Spencer is gone it seems.
No, that's not true. He has to meet the standards at training and fitness levels expected of everyone from Roo to Paddy. He's still a boy. It's not as if he is clogging up the list.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In 2005 - When Jay Schulz was 20 he played 4 games for 1 goal total.
Fast Forward to 2014 - Jay Schulz is 29 and kicks 66 goals.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Spoke to him in depth last week, great young guy.. It's all about forward pressure according to him, offensively has all the tools.
We even joked that if only he played 10yrs ago when pressure acts and time in forward half stats were non existent.

saint-stu
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
No, that's not true. He has to meet the standards at training and fitness levels expected of everyone from Roo to Paddy. He's still a boy. It's not as if he is clogging up the list.
Great to hear a sensible comment. He's only 20 years old and we all know that talls take longer.

Why do you think he only has a one year contract t74? That does seem strange.

1ac46a38
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

If he's asmathic it may answer a few questions.

If not, maybe he's just slack

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

8bloggs wrote:I wonder if it is related to effort or his breathing condition - he came to us with an issue which was supposedly addressed: does anyone know if he is over this or not?
Can we put at the top of the recruiters checklist "ABLE TO BREATH PROPERLY"?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

He's kicked 4 goals in his only 2 games so maybe he doesn't need to be able to run a marathon - maybe just a 5000 metre event for the time being.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
PJ
SS Life Member

The thing is Spencer has a pretty good batting average for goals per game...does he not?

At present we are struggling for multiple goal kickers and tall targets. Yes we need pressure in the forward line and that should be from everyone but jeez can we just get some options in there that have capacity to kick goals!!!

Paddy has great potential but currently he is just on L plates and isn't scoring. Not his fault but when Spencer is out there he scores.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:If he doesn't , or can't, ramp it up this season then he he might end up as Spencer Shite

Just sayin' :wink:
Ok ok - how long have you been waiting to bring that one out :D
Just thought of of it.

If they play like they are shite, then they are shite, nothing i can do to assist, even with a kleenex in hand...

We are a crap club

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote: Paddy has great potential but currently he is just on L plates and isn't scoring. .
Er...he kicked a goal against Brisbane. And what did we kick last night - 4 goals? Paddy kicked one and with his pack splitting and then brilliant second effort caused the turnover for Mav to kick one. Thats half our score due to Paddy. Paddy is already showing he can hit the scoreboard and be a brilliant assister. And he's only played 3 preseason games!! Paddy will play rd 1 and then probably won't be out of the team barring injury. With Roo, Paddy, Billings, maybe chuck in Lonie and suddenly we have a much more potent forward line capable of hitting the scoreboard. Sorry but White has to force his way in not be gifted anything.

PJ
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
PJ wrote: Paddy has great potential but currently he is just on L plates and isn't scoring. .
Er...he kicked a goal against Brisbane. And what did we kick last night - 4 goals? Paddy kicked one and with his pack splitting and then brilliant second effort caused the turnover for Mav to kick one. Thats half our score due to Paddy. Paddy is already showing he can hit the scoreboard and be a brilliant assister. And he's only played 3 preseason games!! Paddy will play rd 1 and then probably won't be out of the team barring injury. With Roo, Paddy, Billings, maybe chuck in Lonie and suddenly we have a much more potent forward line capable of hitting the scoreboard. Sorry but White has to force his way in not be gifted anything.
Paddy will be great and is learning, no question...but he is what? 18. Wouldn't be in such a hurry.

Spencer in 2 rounds has kicked 4 goals. He is a goal scorer. None of those goals were gifted.

I think we all saw Paddy's game and there is great potential. Last night our forward line did not fire.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
Paddy will be great and is learning, no question...but he is what? 18. Wouldn't be in such a hurry.

Spencer in 2 rounds has kicked 4 goals. He is a goal scorer. None of those goals were gifted.

I think we all saw Paddy's game and there is great potential. Last night our forward line did not fire.
I'm not trying to turn this into White v McCartin because that's stupid. They are different players. I'm just pointing out that I thought Paddy was actually pretty damn effective last night kicking a goal and his second effort after a pack leap also helped a goal . Out there as well was Saad, Bruce, Membrey and I found them pretty ineffective despite having a tonne more experience. McCartin was held early but in the 2nd half he actually redoubled his efforts and fought his way back into the game. And that's from a player that hasn't played a proper AFL game yet. That's what impressed. That's two games out of three he's hit the scoreboard and also been a damn good contributor in just 3 praccy games. I'm trying not too get to carried away with Paddy because it is such early days. But I can't help but feel we've found a Jonathon Brown type.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hard to rate Spencer when he is sitting at home watching TV on a Thursday night.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hard to rate Spencer when he is sitting at home watching TV on a Thursday night.
Correct. He shoud have had a run. Let's hope his papers aren't marked.

I understand he gets asthma. Perhaps that stands in the way of the endurance feats that Riewoldt and others are capable of, but surely it doesn't make him worthless in the modern game.

The kid kicked three on debut and gave us something to be excited about late last season. Very disappointing that he's hardly been seen this preseason despite no apparent injury

I'm sure the club must have its reasons. I hope they are good ones

saint-stu
Club Player

Watching Tom Lynch on the TV now. He's a pretty handy forward for Adelaide now and we seemed to give up on him before he matured. I hope we're not making the same mistake with Buddy.

1ac46a38