Etihad roof to remain open on sunny days

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Etihad roof to remain open on sunny days

Dave McNamara wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:
St Chris wrote:Last time I checked, Australian Rules Football was an outdoor game.

The roof should be open all of the time. Night, day, sunshine, rain, everything....

Yes, players might look into the sun. But guess what, in about 30 minutes time, the siren goes and you get to stand at the other end. No different to a strong wind, the reason we kick different directions in different quarters. And yes, sometimes the conditions change during a game. but that's been the case for 150 years.

We've all become a bit precious.....
:D
:D :D

If we aren't going to open the roof, then why did we pay so much for a roof that can be opened?

Cricket fieldsmen and keepers (when collecting an incoming throw from the outfield) have to look into the sun... I'd rather be hit by a footy than a cricket ball.

As Chris pointed out... footy is an outdoor game. Simple.
And the answer to your question is just as simple. So the grass can grow.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:
St Chris wrote:Last time I checked, Australian Rules Football was an outdoor game.

The roof should be open all of the time. Night, day, sunshine, rain, everything....

Yes, players might look into the sun. But guess what, in about 30 minutes time, the siren goes and you get to stand at the other end. No different to a strong wind, the reason we kick different directions in different quarters. And yes, sometimes the conditions change during a game. but that's been the case for 150 years.

We've all become a bit precious.....
:D
:D :D

If we aren't going to open the roof, then why did we pay so much for a roof that can be opened?

Cricket fieldsmen and keepers (when collecting an incoming throw from the outfield) have to look into the sun... I'd rather be hit by a footy than a cricket ball.

As Chris pointed out... footy is an outdoor game. Simple.

They shut the roof when they play cricket at Etihad. I don't know to many other cricket grounds where they have a roof. Certainly should be shut on sunny days IMO.

Megamaguire
Club Player

I Prefer the DOME roof open on sunny days

Personally I like to see the sky and clouds and green grass. Never that keen on the roof. I know others like it but even with the 'sun factor' and bad design orientation I still prefer the natural elements to the inside view of an aircraft hanger.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I would do whatever our players want.

If our guys get used to it (having it open) and it distracts the opposition then it could give us a home ground advantage.

But having it open is crap for tv, the cameras can't cope with the contrast.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:I would do whatever our players want.

If our guys get used to it (having it open) and it distracts the opposition then it could give us a home ground advantage.

But having it open is crap for tv, the cameras can't cope with the contrast.

If they're going to have the roof open then surely both sides of the roof have to be open - not just one side. You would think there would be at least a little less contrast and a little more sunlight that way. I would prefer it shut myself though.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We all know it's pigheaded stupidity and silly outdated "custom" just like Good Friday footy, where this year it would've given the MCC an extra day's preparation after the World Cup Final to get back into footy mode.

Brainless stuff!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The big question is: "Will it be open for kick to kick?"

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:The big question is: "Will it be open for kick to kick?"
I doubt it as the AFL would get sued in this day and age when the peeps can't see the ball coming from the dark out into the light.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!