Club focus- 'How I want to be'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Club focus- 'How I want to be'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-30/s ... into-place
Finnis said the "How I Want To Be" mentality was designed to allow all types of fans to feel pride and ownership of an inclusive club, which was on a "positive journey" headed by young talent like Paddy McCartin, Jack Billings and Luke Dunstan.

"The brand for us is about tapping into an attitude which we believe people recognise around our footy club in the sense that it's born out of a place that's an eclectic melting pot on the edge of footy's capital," he said.

"People come to St Kilda to be who they want to be.

"It's a really grounded aspirational attitude that we want to represent in footy.

"We want to represent this spirit and never as much as now does footy need that."
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 01 Apr 2015 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Club focus- or theme if you want...

Corporate wank speak...
inclusive, aspirational...
What's next gay pride marches and Muslim prayer rooms?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Corporate wank speak...
yes apparently
and we already have the second I believe at Etihad , not sure about the G - although most places they are just called Prayer rooms- and any faith can utilise.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Austinnn
Club Player

One international digital membership and a Little Saints membership bought this afternoon on the strength of what I consider to be the most professional, excellent and watertight St Kilda membership campaign in my living memory. Finnis has been our most important recruit recently, by far. Let's hope that he continues in this vein. The last time i was this positive about the organisation was when Butterrs and co took the reins, lets hope it doesnt go wrong with the current crew like it did with them. Hats off St Kilda!

By the way whiskas, there's still room for the classical old school undiluted footy fan, like Matt said, we're an inclusive club!

By the way this is my first membership in a few years, so chalk another lapsed member back to the fold. Plus I added my son, so that's one lapsed member and one new member. I challenge all you other lapsed members out there to show support for an organisation that is finally getting their act together, as well as support for our great club.
Last edited by Austinnn on Tue 31 Mar 2015 6:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well there will be a gay round soon it seems.

Yes it's corporate wankspeak. That's called marketing.

Why not be all positive now before the season starts and goes pear shaped? Not like we
will sell many memberships on the back of winning footy is it?

It's also important to butter up the press now so they are easy on us during the season.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, terrible to consider that everyone in society might not be 100% exactly like you.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:One international digital membership and a Little Saints membership bought this afternoon on the strength of what I consider to be the most professional, excellent and watertight St Kilda membership campaign in my living memory. Finnis has seen our most important recruit recently, by far. Let's hope that he continues in this vein. The last time i was this positive about the organisation was when Butterrs and co took the reins, lets hope it doesnt go wrong with the current crew like it did with them. Hats off St Kilda!

By the way whiskas, there's still room for the classical old school undiluted footy fan, like Matt said, we're an inclusive club!

By the way this is my first membership in a few years, so chalk another lapsed member back to the fold.
TICK

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:One international digital membership and a Little Saints membership bought this afternoon on the strength of what I consider to be the most professional, excellent and watertight St Kilda membership campaign in my living memory. Finnis has been our most important recruit recently, by far. Let's hope that he continues in this vein. The last time i was this positive about the organisation was when Butterrs and co took the reins, lets hope it doesnt go wrong with the current crew like it did with them. Hats off St Kilda!

By the way this is my first membership in a few years, so chalk another lapsed member back to the fold. Plus I added my son, so that's one lapsed member and one new member. I challenge all you other lapsed members out there to show support for an organisation that is finally getting their act together, as well as support for our great club.

Well done.

(let's just hope nothing comes out in the next few days to dampen the enthusiasm)

Austinnn
Club Player

Also, Bratty I'm not sure how involved you are with the club, but could you PLEASE have a word with the folk who liaise with Ticketmaster in the creation of the membership website? It is barely fit for purpose and is about 15 years out of date in terms of how intuitive websites should be. My recommendations are as follows:
  • Make the body text about double its current size.
  • Bin the left side bar menu thing in the packages pages that seems to serve no purpose.
  • Have 4 categories of packages; Adults, Minors, Remote Supporters and Extras and that way you can have all the packages under each category on one page, instead of the alphabetical 3-page mess currently on view.
  • Instead of a boring old list, get us inspired with some decent graphics like the rest of the Saints site.
  • Have a much more detailed description of each package as part of that graphic, or as a separate page that the graphic serves as a link to, instead of a meagre hover over box that you have to click twice to get to: FWIW the text for the International Digital Subscription is...

"Do you live outside of Australia & want to continue to support the Saints? The International membership is the right choice for you, receive LIVE streams of Saints games online so you can watch our progress wherever you may be with a WatchAFL subscrip" (sic)

Not only is this text awful and incomplete, it tells me almost nothing about the package. I wanted to show support so I bought it anyway, but I have no idea what I bought! Give me some details and sell me this package.
  • Re format the FAQ page, so the questions aren't just shoved in a sidebar, it doesn't work like that. It looks like there is only one FAQ, which is "Where can I buy primary products on St Kilda AccountManager? Click here to view all events currently for sale" (useless as the only way to get to this site is from a page containing primary products). I only noticed the sidebar with the other question topics later.
  • Not so essential, but you might like to jazz up the member homepage just a little. You know, nice fonts, graphics, why not a photo album where users can put photos they've taken of themselves with players or whatever, and they can select one as their avatar? The current home page is as plain as can be, apart from the excellent MY ST KILDA More than a football club background. The only way to see the membership packages is to click on a tiny bit of text that says 2015 PRODUCTS and it's not even clear that you should click on it; who is in charge of sales and Marketing there? Get the packages on the home page! The primary function of this Ticketmaster site should be to encouraging us to buy more products, and then secondary purpose should be for us to manage our account, not the other way around.
Look, it's a lot better than it used to be. It used to be so pathetic that I couldn't even buy a package if I wanted to over the internet, so I stopped trying. One of the reasons that I'm a lapsed member. But it is still not good enough for 2015. I'm hoping that the Saints part is just the background image and the rest is controlled by Ticketmaster and it is Ticketmaster IT crew or marketing crew who are not doing their jobs properly, rather than our own marketing team. But who knows? I'd like to know.

But if St Kilda is serious about improving its membership, maybe someone who has previously run a slick modern glossy website should take charge of this Ticketmaster site and not just accept their crummy templates. If they won't allow that, then you need to sack them off and control it in-house. Perhaps in this era of the global village and being that so many supporters can't get to the club personally, it's not too strong to say that it's the MOST important part of the Saints website. GET IT RIGHT!

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dunno about the slogan tbh

but hey
wtf do i know
30000 members when we are performing like an under 12s girls side is pretty darn good

Austinnn
Club Player

How I want to be? I think it's pretty good actually.

When the footy ain't so hot, remember that we are still a club. In our search for members, when footy is more open than ever, it makes sense to target the non-traditional market. So what identifies us to a club? Less and less it's about location. I've never lived south of the Yarra. Now I live in France. That's just a personal example, we have loads of fans in WA, Sydney and so on. We are pushing into NZ too so the location thing for us is secondary, and really any of the 9 vic clubs excluding Geelong are in the same boat. That's why Footscray changed to Western and why there were murmurs about us or Hawthorn become Southern Saints or Eastern Hawks a few years back. Are there really so many footy fans in the suburb of Collingwood?

So who are we, and who would want to be part of us? What do we stand for, amongst the other teams? We've always been different, you could say one of the few teams with a wild spirit and a soul. That is our advantage, not our failing. The management are tapping into that. That doesn't mean we ALL have to be different. Of course for those St Kilda fans who ARE bigoted or who DON'T like difference, it's a bit awkward. And I can see that it might frustrate such a fan to see the club they support and are a long-time member of being steered in a way that they do not like. It still has to feel like your club, not everyone's. But in the end, we all have to accept that we are all in it together now, and we can't do much in our tight little traditional community. Certainly our footy club can't just operate on the membership from the traditional community (I'm using the phrase 'tradtional' as a synonym for the footy public pre-1990 for example)

For those of us who don't like the idea that we are an inclusive club, you can just ignore all the marketing, front up to training and matches and watch on TV or internet and still see 22 players playing footy. That part hasn't changed much, so for you the club is still HOW YOU WANT TO BE, it's just that a lot more people can say that now.

And that isn't a bad thing, hopefully it will eventually pay off membership wise or even just on a casual support level. More people talking about StK positively will work in our favour indirectly.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Austinnn
Club Player

Nice work. Would have been nice to see a bit more about the club and less about the suburb, but I can fully understand why they are doing it like this.

Having considered the situation, I can understand why some of our current members and fans, a couple of generations of a communities who are by and large Eastern Suburbs people might be dismayed to see their club identify so heavily with the suburb of St Kilda, and it's true that this campaign does do a wee bit of disservice to Moorabbin, but the bigger picture is that the club has to get new blood in. Kids, teenagers and young adults, casual supporters, remote members, not just maintain service to dyed in the wool supporters and inherited supporters. Never clearer when you have a look at our membership numbers and our cheersquad, no offence.

Now the next step should be redressing the balance and keeping all the Eastern Suburbs member families happy that this club still has a place for them. Perhaps this is the value of Moorabbin, but it needs to be reflected in their promotions as well. The last thing we want is our traditional member base feeling like last year's clothes.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Club focus- 'How I want to be'

Eastern Suburbs?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Club Player

matrix wrote:dunno about the slogan tbh

but hey
wtf do i know
30000 members when we are performing like an under 12s girls side is pretty darn good

What more can I say!!!!!!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Austinnn
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:Eastern Suburbs?
Ooops, maybe I've got my geography wrong. South Eastern Suburbs? I meant around the Moorabbin Springvale kind of way and going on down towards Frankston. I haven't been in Victoria for many years.

:oops:

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I know living in Europe can mess with your head.

felix
Club Player

Especially if your in Amsterdam! :shock:

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
Nice work. Would have been nice to see a bit more about the club and less about the suburb, but I can fully understand why they are doing it like this.

Having considered the situation, I can understand why some of our current members and fans, a couple of generations of a communities who are by and large Eastern Suburbs people might be dismayed to see their club identify so heavily with the suburb of St Kilda, and it's true that this campaign does do a wee bit of disservice to Moorabbin, but the bigger picture is that the club has to get new blood in. Kids, teenagers and young adults, casual supporters, remote members, not just maintain service to dyed in the wool supporters and inherited supporters. Never clearer when you have a look at our membership numbers and our cheersquad, no offence.

Now the next step should be redressing the balance and keeping all the Eastern Suburbs member families happy that this club still has a place for them. Perhaps this is the value of Moorabbin, but it needs to be reflected in their promotions as well. The last thing we want is our traditional member base feeling like last year's clothes.
I love the way we are really highlighting St Kilda the suburb. Its made me realise that the footy club actually puts St Kilda and its surrounding areas on the national stage. The sea and beach, the creativity and art, the fascinating eclectic weirdness, the street smarts, the edge and funkiness, the open mindedness, that is St Kilda are really great contemporary selling points on a National (and international with NZ and overseas) scale. The young generation are the hearts and minds we need to capture to become a powerhouse - and I think they are doing a great job.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
gringo
Saintsational Legend

They have got themselves all street cred with some paste ups all over walls down in st kilda.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:They have got themselves all street cred with some paste ups all over walls down in st kilda.
I assume you mean this
https://scontent-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=55ACD777

can't seem to get it to link

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
gringo wrote:They have got themselves all street cred with some paste ups all over walls down in st kilda.
I assume you mean this

No like rock posters stuck up with wheat paste. The have some different posters that look like future music festival of something but are just a whole lot of How I want to be.. posters. I will try to get a pic for you. The only def one I can remember is the corner of Clyde and Grey Street on the side of a milk bar..there are about 6 in a row.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
I assume you mean this

No like rock posters stuck up with wheat paste. The have some different posters that look like future music festival of something but are just a whole lot of How I want to be.. posters. I will try to get a pic for you. The only def one I can remember is the corner of Clyde and Grey Street on the side of a milk bar..there are about 6 in a row.
may need to take a holiday trip to St Kilda

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
I assume you mean this

I lived in Clyde St many years ago. You would never have known it was Saints territory then.