Jack Steven's game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven's game

I thought Jack might have done a lot more last night and unless he was doing a specific defensive role, then I thought he was pretty ordinary and must have been tagged pretty well. Only did a couple of flashy things but as one of our best onballers, seemed to be second to the ball many times. Generally speaking I think Richo has a bit of homework to do with the poor clearance work around packs and centre bounces..needs to be fixed pronto.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Jack Steven's game

Disagree. Was very good

You are garbage - Enough said
FQF
SS Life Member

Hard to tell from TV. The positive for me is that we played as well as we did and didn't rely too much on Jack and without Monty.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

While Steven was quieter than normal, I think the other aspect last night with Steven is simply that the rest of our midfield, and support cast, was very good.

Armo played one of his best games ever for us.
Weller was very good as Dunstan.
Support cast in Newnes, Sinlair, Lonie all good as well....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jack wasn't needed as much but still got in to the game. My favourite bit of play was Savage getting the dish off and sending 70 meter kicks from the centre to set up forwards. He is getting seriously good.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Jack S didn't need to do much in the first three quarters last night as all our other cylinders were firing. He only had 12 disposals up to 3/4 time. In the last qtr when we had spent our petrol tickets he imposed himself on the game and wracked up 10 disposals helping to get us over the line. In the end he had about a 6.5 out of 10 game but was good when we REALLY needed him.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Let's not overlook something. Steven was credited with the game high 10 tackles. Next best was 8 tackles (Dunstan).
We applied more pressure than Gold Coast could handle - and Steven was a big part of that.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Let's not overlook something. Steven was credited with the game high 10 tackles. Next best was 8 tackles (Dunstan).
We applied more pressure than Gold Coast could handle - and Steven was a big part of that.
Was just about to write the same thing. Jack is our only mid that cops a tag (especially with Joey out injured) so remember he gets it a lot tougher than the other mids. The fact that he got 10 tackles indicates to me that he was working hard AND the fact that he had 10 possessions in the last 1/4 indicates that he was working hard hard ALL game. Credit to the other mids who stepped up. This is what will make us a good team. If Armo or Dunstan start getting stacks of the ball, opposition coaches will start looking at sharing the tag around, and this is when we can be a very good team. You need 4-5 quality mids so that opp coaches aren't sure who to send their tagger to I reckon.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
samoht wrote:Let's not overlook something. Steven was credited with the game high 10 tackles. Next best was 8 tackles (Dunstan).
Was just about to write the same thing. Jack is our only mid that cops a tag (especially with Joey out injured) so remember he gets it a lot tougher than the other mids. The fact that he got 10 tackles indicates to me that he was working hard AND the fact that he had 10 possessions in the last 1/4 indicates that he was working hard hard ALL game. Credit to the other mids who stepped up. This is what will make us a good team. If Armo or Dunstan start getting stacks of the ball, opposition coaches will start looking at sharing the tag around, and this is when we can be a very good team. You need 4-5 quality mids so that opp coaches aren't sure who to send their tagger to I reckon.

He also just runs down guys with the ball to pressure them so even though he did get heaps of touches he was very effective. They have a killer midfield with great users who regularly were pressured into turn overs. Steven was often that guy just behind the kicker.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Was one of our best last night.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The key to a good midfield is to have multiple options so that one bloke doesn't have to be a star. Jack was ok last night, and as long as we have depth that's good enough.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Jack was heavily tagged last night which allowed Armo to go to work. Still ended up with 10 tackles and shook his tag a number of times. What happened with Jack, Armo and our support midfielders says more about Eade's lack of tactical nouse than anything else. He put work into Rooey & Jack and that was it. Both ended up being in or close to our best 6. Rooey running their best defenders around allowed Josh Bruce to go about his business too !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Jack's pressure was outstanding and he won more of the ball as the game wore on. Terrific that we didn't hav to rely on him as the hard-ball winner.

Saint supporter since '62
spert
Saintsational Legend

Definitely not knocking Jack, but thought he could have been a bit more attacking, and my nephew at the game thought Jack got caught napping on quite a few occasions when the ball was there to win in the packs..probably more humid up there :D

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Worst. Player. Ever.

Lol

matrix
Saintsational Legend

who was that again?
cant remember who said that pearler
well i think i have a clue but ya know
dont wanna put the big mozzball out there lol