Changes for this week against the Doggies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: Changes for this week against the Doggies

FQF wrote:
Playon wrote:In Roo and Joey

Out Hickey and Acres

I can't see Sinclair being dropped at this stage, and if it comes down to Hickey or Roo I shouldn't need to say more
There'd be at least 5 guys out before Acres.
Such as?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

So this is the team that many media dick heads said would not win a game and now we cant work out who to drop to bring in Nick Riewoldt?

Go figure.

Membrey needs game time if he is going to get better.

Dropping Hickey would be harsh, but for balance, it would be the logical change.

Unless Roo & Joey are 100% cherry ripe...rest them for another week. Get more games into the kids. They go alright.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Unfortunately Hickey makes way for Roo, unfortunate because he looked good last week.

IMHO, Joey comes back thru the magoos.

bigballs
Club Player

Just the one change I think.....Roo in, Hickey out.

Would like to see all our youngsters get another game, so unfortunately Joey will have to come back through the ressies, so I agree with saintbob on this one.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we're a chance against the doggies - spent a lot in beating the swans last week - joey comes in.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We spent a lot too. We were out on our feet at the end. Why wouldn't you leave Hickey in and play Riewoldt as well?We can't match them for midfield pace, but with Riewoldt playing up the field and rotating a ruckman throught the forward line we will stretch them for height. Riewoldt, if he does come in, could almost come in for Dunstan - give him a rest this week - and Montagna could come in for Schneider, if he's dropped. Although if he got over 20 posessions that's actually pretty good.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:Just the one change I think.....Roo in, Hickey out.

Would like to see all our youngsters get another game, so unfortunately Joey will have to come back through the ressies, so I agree with saintbob on this one.
Don't understand this logic. The duo of Hickey and Longer was one of the winning selection decisions. Why would you give up the one big Ace we have. The Bulldogs are susceptible in the ruck. Why not exploit it?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:

Don't understand this logic. The duo of Hickey and Longer was one of the winning selection decisions. Why would you give up the one big Ace we have. The Bulldogs are susceptible in the ruck. Why not exploit it?
Yeah- the Dogs played great last week, but I did notice the one weakness was probably their rucks. I agree that Hickey and Longer was a big factor in almost pulling off a win.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:

Exactly, if you have two gun ruckmen - or in this case two potential gun ruckmen - play both imo.

To take the argument to it's extreme, would you drop one of Lockett or Carey for the sake of team balance? Or would you find a way to fit both into the same team?

So I favour two rucks. So long as they are both very good footballers, which is what I suspect we have on our hands.

The counter argument, I guess, is that it will reduce your midfield rotations but let's not overlook the fact that ruckman are midfielders and there is a benefit to keeping them fresh

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:To take the argument to it's extreme, would you drop one of Lockett or Carey for the sake of team balance? Or would you find a way to fit both into the same team?
I think that is called taking the argument to absurd... Lockett & Carey - two of the greats of all time who played different positions.

Riewoldt, Bruce, Hickey, Membrey isn't going to work IMO, but maybe Membrey has a spell as Hickey did well last week.

Pretty sure the dogs will bring Minson back this week so I don't think we will be exploiting them in the ruck.

Montagna still in our best few players, so he comes in if he's ready, have no idea why people would argue otherwise.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Riewoldt, Bruce, Hickey, Membrey isn't going to work IMO, but maybe Membrey has a spell as Hickey did well last week.

So did Membrey. I'd imagine Riewoldt would be pushing well, well up the ground to allow the new-look forward line to develop. Otherwise might as well plonk him at chf and play kick-it-to-Roo. We know that doesn't work.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Membrey is working hard but has 1 goal in 4 weeks, I don't think he can complain if he makes way for Riewoldt this week.

FQF
SS Life Member

Playon wrote:
FQF wrote:
Playon wrote:In Roo and Joey

Out Hickey and Acres

I can't see Sinclair being dropped at this stage, and if it comes down to Hickey or Roo I shouldn't need to say more
There'd be at least 5 guys out before Acres.
Such as?
Schneider, Roberton, Geary, McKenzie, Sinclair

Acres is an extremely highly rated junior on one of our longest contracts. We desperately need him to play in the seniors.
He has been in excellent VFL form.
He is injury free.
He played less than a quarter against Essendon and had 5 touches, 1 mark and 2 tackles.

To be honest, I can't begin to think of a convincing argument as to why he would be dropped?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:To take the argument to it's extreme, would you drop one of Lockett or Carey for the sake of team balance? Or would you find a way to fit both into the same team?
I think that is called taking the argument to absurd... Lockett & Carey - two of the greats of all time who played different positions.
I did say I was taking it to the extreme. Point is we have potentially two very good ruckman on our hands yet some want one out for the purpose of some mythical team balance.

You can overdo balance. Let's start by getting out best talent into the team and on to the ground

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
dragit wrote:
I did say I was taking it to the extreme. Point is we have potentially two very good ruckman on our hands yet some want one out for the purpose of some mythical team balance.

You can overdo balance. Let's start by getting out best talent into the team and on to the ground
It's not mythical BC, if you play 2 "ruckmen", then one of them is playing as a forward... no-one is playing 2 ruckmen purely as ruckmen.

If Hickey can play well forward then it works, but if we had 2 ruckmen like Longer then there is no way they could play in the same side. Overdoing balance would make you unbalanced I imagine?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Article in The Age this morning that reckons Roo and Joey are confirmed as starters for this week.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/st-kilda-s ... guimm.html

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:We spent a lot too. We were out on our feet at the end. Why wouldn't you leave Hickey in and play Riewoldt as well?We can't match them for midfield pace, but with Riewoldt playing up the field and rotating a ruckman throught the forward line we will stretch them for height. Riewoldt, if he does come in, could almost come in for Dunstan - give him a rest this week - and Montagna could come in for Schneider, if he's dropped. Although if he got over 20 posessions that's actually pretty good.
Roo is a must in. As is Joey. Who goes out? Not sure, but two of them must.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
S.A Saint
Club Player

I would do Roo in for Schnieder and let him play around the wing area as that get out of jail kick with bruce deep forward.

Or Roo and Joey in for Scneider and one of sinclair/acres/mckenzie.

Would have Monty have one more week off

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:I would do Roo in for Schnieder and let him play around the wing area as that get out of jail kick with bruce deep forward.

But he is fit according to the club. Im going for Roo for Hickey or membery and Joey for Acres or Sinclair.

S.A Saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:I would do Roo in for Schnieder and let him play around the wing area as that get out of jail kick with bruce deep forward.

But he is fit according to the club. Im going for Roo for Hickey or membery and Joey for Acres or Sinclair.

Yea the club said that for both of them last time and look what happened. I would rather only bring in one player who has missed a month of footy and not both.

Roo for Membery/Hickey looks the logical replacement, but ive just liked the look of them last game and would have roo playing the roaming wing role.

Have been pretty impressed with Sinclair thus far with his compusure and reminds me of mitchell from the hawks.

Acres deserves a full game and would be harsh to drop him after 15 or so minutes of game time.

Schnieds for me due to some gettable shots in that last.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yea the club said that for both of them last time and look what happened. I would rather only bring in one player who has missed a month of footy and not both.

Roo for Membery/Hickey looks the logical replacement, but ive just liked the look of them last game and would have roo playing the roaming wing role.

Have been pretty impressed with Sinclair thus far with his compusure and reminds me of mitchell from the hawks.

Acres deserves a full game and would be harsh to drop him after 15 or so minutes of game time.

Maybe both were fit last week and they gave them the extra week. The club said they are fit so obviously both will play baring injury tomorrow.

S.A Saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Maybe both were fit last week and they gave them the extra week. The club said they are fit so obviously both will play baring injury tomorrow.
Maybe. I would just rather have roo in and play monty in the 2nds to get a bit of match practice up

longtimesaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I know we were all disappointed with the missed shots at the end but watching the replay Schneider does a lot of good work through the match.
I don't think he will be dropped for the missed shots and to be fair all players were fatigued by then.
I think Membery will make way for Roo and possibly Sinclair or Acres for Joey.
It seems tough to drop Acres who performed ok as a sub -might be better to give him a full game this week.

One year will be our year
FQF
SS Life Member

Playing Joey in the VFL, dropping Acres... some craziness going on here.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:… some craziness going on here.
business as usual :D