The match day experience

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7
Club Player

The match day experience

This article came about after attending my first game of the year, last weekend's narrow loss to the Bombers...

No longer is a game of Australian Rules football sufficient entertainment for 3 hours on a weekend, fans must now be treated to a complete ‘match day experience.’

In the endeavour to win over a new generation of supporters, football clubs are now encouraged to provide something extra for their fans. In the haste with which the AFL has embraced the concept of the ‘match day experience’ clubs are creating a unique atmosphere, however it is one which renders the game itself as the compliment to the entertainment and not the reverse.

Continued here... https://stublogs.wordpress.com/2015/05/ ... xperience/

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: The match day experience

Nothing wrong with this strategy. Lots of entertainment to compete with nowadays.

People who are against have their heads in a sandpit.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Nothing wrong with this strategy. Lots of entertainment to compete with nowadays.

That's actually incorrect. Who is the "match-day experience" actually serving?

Not the fans. They don't want it. They don't need it.

It is an opportunity for marketers to monetise a captive audience with repeated and inane corporate messages.

Going to the footy is a real "brace yourself" thing these days. You have to be prepared for the artificial onslaught of noise and lights and relentless corporate messages.

That we have to suffer through it is a stain on the sport.

Claiming it as some kind of progress is a really dangerous thing to accept. The line has been well and truly crossed. We don't need advertising interfering in our lives any more than it currently does.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Nothing wrong with this strategy. Lots of entertainment to compete with nowadays.

It is an opportunity for marketers to monetise a captive audience with repeated and inane corporate messages.

Going to the footy is a real "brace yourself" thing these days. You have to be prepared for the artificial onslaught of noise and lights and relentless corporate messages.

Claiming it as some kind of progress is a really dangerous thing to accept. The line has been well and truly crossed. We don't need advertising interfering in our lives any more than it currently does.

Before us older people say the match day experience is crap we need to ask 5 to 15 year olds because that who need to want it, not people who go anyway. I cant stand all the rubbish but im not going to claim it doesn't matter because I have no one to ask whether they like it or not.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Before us older people say the match day experience is crap we need to ask 5 to 15 year olds because that who need to want it, not people who go anyway. I cant stand all the rubbish but im not going to claim it doesn't matter because I have no one to ask whether they like it or not.
I have a 10 & 8 year olds. They love it. My nearly 3 year old
loves the blow up whacking sticks. And the free wifi to watch ABC Kids!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

I have a 10 & 8 year olds. They love it. My nearly 3 year old
loves the blow up whacking sticks. And the free wifi to watch ABC Kids!
And that's who is supposed to like it. If many others are like that then it doing its job even if its annoying us older folk.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

I completely disagree with this approach. Kids will be guided by and follow their parents' examples. The approach that it's ok because the kids like it is an argument that puts what immature, undiscerning people think is good and appropriate at the centre of the universe.
I haven't been to the footy for a few years, but it sounds bloody awful. Would drive me crazy. It used to drive me nuts just when the ground announcer started coming on as soon as the siren went after a quarter and said the score. Even back then I was, " yeah I bloody well know you knobhead, I've been watching the game, which is what I'm here for".
We have coming along a generation of totally desensitised pap consumers, who will accept any crap that's presented to them in the name of entertainment but which is just any which way to screw another sale out of them.

Yesterday I was in the local gym and there were a couple of early 20's guys playing 'doof doof doof doof yo mother-f***er' music, which is pretty ubiquitous in that environment.I asked these dudes, politely and with genuine curiousity, what exactly it was about that music they liked. Could they understand what was being said by the dude rapping?
The response of one these guys summed it up perfectly. He said, "Music doesn't have any meaning any more. It's just noise".

That's it exactly. We're subjected to an endless stream of meaningless drivel and noise. Young people are so used to it they don't even notice it as intrusive or irritating. The corporate world inhabiting every bit of our consciousness that they can. And having the attitude that, "the kids like it, so it's ok", is just meekly accepting that. Definitely not ok with me. Australia doesn't really have a culture with any substance. The 'match-day experience' described in that article is just another example of dumbed-down, lowest common denominator commercial pap being peddled by corporate types who have no interest in anything other than making money.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

I completely disagree with this approach. Kids will be guided by and follow their parents' examples. The approach that it's ok because the kids like it is an argument that puts what immature, undiscerning people think is good and appropriate at the centre of the universe.
I haven't been to the footy for a few years, but it sounds bloody awful. Would drive me crazy. It used to drive me nuts just when the ground announcer started coming on as soon as the siren went after a quarter and said the score. Even back then I was, " yeah I bloody well know you knobhead, I've been watching the game, which is what I'm here for".
We have coming along a generation of totally desensitised pap consumers, who will accept any crap that's presented to them in the name of entertainment but which is just any which way to screw another sale out of them.

Yesterday I was in the local gym and there were a couple of early 20's guys playing 'doof doof doof doof yo mother-f***er' music, which is pretty ubiquitous in that environment.I asked these dudes, politely and with genuine curiousity, what exactly it was about that music they liked. Could they understand what was being said by the dude rapping?
The response of one these guys summed it up perfectly. He said, "Music doesn't have any meaning any more. It's just noise".

That's it exactly. We're subjected to an endless stream of meaningless drivel and noise. Young people are so used to it they don't even notice it as intrusive or irritating. The corporate world inhabiting every bit of our consciousness that they can. And having the attitude that, "the kids like it, so it's ok", is just meekly accepting that. Definitely not ok with me. Australia doesn't really have a culture with any substance. The 'match-day experience' described in that article is just another example of dumbed-down, lowest common denominator commercial pap being peddled by corporate types who have no interest in anything other than making money.

Firstly if you haven't been to the footy in years its hard to say whether its the right or wrong approach. I don't get the parents example thing either. When I went to the footy with my dad when I was young my dad would drink 4 tubes quickly so I could then stand on them. Times change how we watch footy and how kids are brought up. Yep they are different to how we were brought up and we were brought up differently to our parents. Who is to say which generation got it right. I don't like the noise but young kids do. My parents couldn't stand my music but loved Frank Sinatra. I cant stand some of the music my daughter plays but that is why we have generation gaps no matter how hard we try. I even listen to MTV every Saturday morning so I can keep up with some of the songs my daughter likes.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Firstly if you haven't been to the footy in years its hard to say whether its the right or wrong approach. I don't get the parents example thing either. When I went to the footy with my dad when I was young my dad would drink 4 tubes quickly so I could then stand on them. Times change how we watch footy and how kids are brought up. Yep they are different to how we were brought up and we were brought up differently to our parents. Who is to say which generation got it right. I don't like the noise but young kids do. My parents couldn't stand my music but loved Frank Sinatra. I cant stand some of the music my daughter plays but that is why we have generation gaps no matter how hard we try. I even listen to MTV every Saturday morning so I can keep up with some of the songs my daughter likes.
Ha Ha, blast from the past. My old man also drank cans so I could stand on them. Thoroughly enjoyed those cold and windy Sat Arvos in the Moorabin outer, but totally different experience and game for that matter these days, still enjoyable, except for all the noise :)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I don't like the noise but young kids do.
I love the noise: the roar of the fans and the theme songs are great.

What else do we need? Honestly? As fans - even young kids - very little.

The rest is basically branded advertising that is foistered on us and we have to cop it. There's so many other invasive ways to engage children of all ages without the need to assault their eardrums and ours.

It's a shame, because I remember as a child loving the granduer of the big VFL venues and how they could fill with organic, human noise. There was nothing more thrilling than that. Times have changed, but I don't need James Sherry telling me how good it is.

Do our kids?
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 06 May 2015 5:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Don't need to go to the footy to know it sucks. The Americanisation and commercialisation of sport is all over the place, not just the footy.
Just because kids like it doesn't mean it's good. They like McDonalds and ice cream as well but they have to have some boundaries and limits put on them because they can't regulate themselves. Just saying it's good because they like it doesn't mean it is. They'll respond to whatever environment is created for them. When my nephews were about 6 or 7 I used to go to the footy with them all the time. There was a bit of commercialisation coming in already, but it wasn't too over the top. They thought it was great. So if the kids who are 6 or 7 now think that being blasted with endless commercial pap is great, then adults have a responsibility to let them know maybe it's not so. Unless of course you yourself reckon endless commercialisation is just fine. But if you don't, then why go shrug when the kids don't know any different or better.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

When I went to the match-day functions half a dozen years ago, there was definitely poor value for money. Be interested if things have changed since.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

The rest is basically branded advertising that is foistered on us and we have to cop it. There's so many other invasive ways to engage children of all ages without the need to assault their eardrums and ours.

It's a shame, because I remember as a child loving the granduer of the big VFL venues and how they could fill with organic, human noise. There was nothing more thrilling than that. Times have changed, but I don't need James Sherry telling me how good it is.

Do our kids?

I have no idea if the kids need all the crap. I certainly don't but im suggesting the club have done surveys on this and the answer is yes and that is the reason it is done. We need the kids to follow the game until they are adults. Its getting harder for kids to do that even if the parents love the game. Anyway if the noise really annoyed me I would go into a bar till the game started again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Don't need to go to the footy to know it sucks. The Americanisation and commercialisation of sport is all over the place, not just the footy.
Just because kids like it doesn't mean it's good. They like McDonalds and ice cream as well but they have to have some boundaries and limits put on them because they can't regulate themselves. Just saying it's good because they like it doesn't mean it is. They'll respond to whatever environment is created for them. When my nephews were about 6 or 7 I used to go to the footy with them all the time. There was a bit of commercialisation coming in already, but it wasn't too over the top. They thought it was great. So if the kids who are 6 or 7 now think that being blasted with endless commercial pap is great, then adults have a responsibility to let them know maybe it's not so. Unless of course you yourself reckon endless commercialisation is just fine. But if you don't, then why go shrug when the kids don't know any different or better.
So now you are trying to compare basic noise to eating crap food that is bad for you. I don't think the noise is bad for you. And I can honestly say if I had a 6 or 7 year old kid now I wouldn't be telling them all this stuff was crap just because I think its crap. Imagine if I told my daughter all that current music is crap and she went out with her friends and left because she couldn't handle all the current music. Her friends wouldn't bother asking her out again. I would tell a 6 or 7 year old not to take any notice of gambling adds but not James Sherry talking crap if I could see on the kids face they like it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Do our kids?

I have no idea if the kids need all the crap. I certainly don't but im suggesting the club have done surveys on this and the answer is yes and that is the reason it is done. We need the kids to follow the game until they are adults. Its getting harder for kids to do that even if the parents love the game. Anyway if the noise really annoyed me I would go into a bar till the game started again.
Seriously Pluggs you reckon the club have done surveys on it and that it's what people want? Don't mean to sound rude but you're living a fantasy world if you reckon that what's being presented as a 'match day experience' has anything to do with what fans actually want and isn't entirely driven by AFL marketing types who have no interest in anything other than product branding and money making. Fans are being presented with 'product' as a fait accompli rather than being surveyed as to whether they actually like it or not. And even if they did survey them and discovered fans didn't like it, they wouldn't give a stuff. They're only interested in money and more ways of making money. The 'match day experience' is surely a total prisoner of this imperative.
It also seems that the blasting advertising and goon-brained announcements don't bother you, which would explain why you don't see it as an issue.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Just Green Grass Blue Sky Human Cheer

Seconded Everton
experiencing the footy as
"an opportunity for marketers to monetise a captive audience with repeated and inane corporate messages".
is galling.
I have to add the silent advertising of the rotating ads on the fence at the bigger stadiums eg. Adelaide Oval are darn annoying - partly because they are so distracting. Designed to reel in your attention when maybe you didn't want to think about more meat pies or cars again. So along with the duff duff wall of sound we have the silent brain killer (rotating ads) - Not very nice at all. It is a shared environment and obviously we all don't want it but the dollar comes first or does it?

I always thought ads painted on the grass were crass
corporate speak even worse.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Do our kids?

Seriously Pluggs you reckon the club have done surveys on it and that it's what people want? Don't mean to sound rude but you're living a fantasy world if you reckon that what's being presented as a 'match day experience' has anything to do with what fans actually want and isn't entirely driven by AFL marketing types who have no interest in anything other than product branding and money making. Fans are being presented with 'product' as a fait accompli rather than being surveyed as to whether they actually like it or not. And even if they did survey them and discovered fans didn't like it, they wouldn't give a stuff. They're only interested in money and more ways of making money. The 'match day experience' is surely a total prisoner of this imperative.
It also seems that the blasting advertising and goon-brained announcements don't bother you, which would explain why you don't see it as an issue.

SB I have said it is crap at least 10 times and don't like it at all. I do go to the bar right until the players run out and then at HT. I can handle it in the other breaks. Do I want it. No. Do my mates want it. No. Do most people over the age of 15 want it. I doubt it. Do most kids under 15 want it. I would say yes. Just the impression I get by looking around at the footy and the breaks that I stay in my chair.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7 wrote:This article came about after attending my first game of the year, last weekend's narrow loss to the Bombers...

No longer is a game of Australian Rules football sufficient entertainment for 3 hours on a weekend, fans must now be treated to a complete ‘match day experience.’

In the endeavour to win over a new generation of supporters, football clubs are now encouraged to provide something extra for their fans. In the haste with which the AFL has embraced the concept of the ‘match day experience’ clubs are creating a unique atmosphere, however it is one which renders the game itself as the compliment to the entertainment and not the reverse.

Continued here... https://stublogs.wordpress.com/2015/05/ ... xperience/
Well said. I actually hate those moving neon signs on the boundary and will never stoop to buying anything from advertisers who feature there.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I enjoyed what I saw on Sunday. It really had a home match feel which is not an easy task in the Dome.

I think sometimes those of us who have been around VFL/AFL for 20, 30,40, 50 years or whatever get a little precious about this game of or ours. Subconsciously I think we sometimes think it is our game and that others are trying to take it from us or change it for the worse.

I have no doubt the game I enjoyed in the 70s, 80s & 90s was far different to the one that Saints supporters enjoyed in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s etc. And I’ve got no doubt those supporters would’ve despaired at how the game was changing from the one they had grown up loving.

I have been a Saints member for 42 consecutive years however I am no more important than the young person who is in their first year on membership. I cannot claim ownership of the Saints.

There is enormous competition for the entertainment dollar and whether we like it or not the game needs to evolve and bring the next generation with it. It really is perish or die.

If you really hate it then perhaps it’s time to hang up your scarf. The game we enjoyed decades ago ain't coming back.

But personally I’m looking forward to the next games at Etihad as much as I have for a long time :)

philtee
Club Player

Geez, it's not all bad.
I did like seeing this version of Owen The Saints on the big screen...
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-05- ... full-song-

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I enjoyed what I saw on Sunday. It really had a home match feel which is not an easy task in the Dome.

I think sometimes those of us who have been around VFL/AFL for 20, 30,40, 50 years or whatever get a little precious about this game of or ours. Subconsciously I think we sometimes think it is our game and that others are trying to take it from us or change it for the worse.

I have no doubt the game I enjoyed in the 70s, 80s & 90s was far different to the one that Saints supporters enjoyed in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s etc. And I’ve got no doubt those supporters would’ve despaired at how the game was changing from the one they had grown up loving.

I have been a Saints member for 42 consecutive years however I am no more important than the young person who is in their first year on membership. I cannot claim ownership of the Saints.

There is enormous competition for the entertainment dollar and whether we like it or not the game needs to evolve and bring the next generation with it. It really is perish or die.

If you really hate it then perhaps it’s time to hang up your scarf. The game we enjoyed decades ago ain't coming back.

But personally I’m looking forward to the next games at Etihad as much as I have for a long time :)

If only I went to school I could have explained myself like you.

saint-stu
Club Player

Before you criticise it, you really should see for yourself.

I don't see it as commercialisation as you say. Most of it is legitimately about entertaining kids in the quarter breaks and at the end of the game.

The only thing I would agree is commercialisation is the LED displays around the boundary, and they have been poorly received and are annoying. I'm tipping they will be removed/stopped.

Here are some of the changes and you tell me if it's commercialisation or entertainment:
1. Music playing in the breaks
2. Kick to kick on the ground at the end of the game
3. 1 warm up and straight into the game rather than running off and back on again.
4. Shooting free Saints merchandise into the crowd.
5. The 'make some noise' video after goals. Actually I think this sort of thing has been around for years.

1ac46a38
gringo
Saintsational Legend

If you go to a good soccer match like a derby then you will know why they are worried. The atmosphere is intense and puts the AFL to shame. Even the drums and chants are kind of hypnotic and tribal. The AFL need to do something they just don't seem very good at it. They think Meatloaf is contemporary music then delude themselves that they are experts at entertainment.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:If you go to a good soccer match like a derby then you will know why they are worried. The atmosphere is intense and puts the AFL to shame. Even the drums and chants are kind of hypnotic and tribal. The AFL need to do something they just don't seem very good at it. They think Meatloaf is contemporary music then delude themselves that they are experts at entertainment.

Pity one is a great game and soccer only ever talks about the atmosphere. We just talk about how good the game is. And I think its the clubs who do the entertainment and not the AFL. The only reason I worry about Soccer over the AFL is parents are getting softer and softer and don't want their poor little kid getting slightly hurt once in a blue moon.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Do our kids?
What from the match day experience is "branded advertising"?

The beach ball?
The #howiwanttobe send a photo? ( I hope you all recognised me on the board on Sunday. )
The free popcorn?
The dance off?
The 45 second countdown? which I think is great by the way.
The t shirt gun?

I'm just not seeing it.

But the best match day experience that will put the most bums on seats is the sort of exciting competitive footy we played on Sunday.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"