Our recruiting has let us down Pt1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Our recruiting has let us down Pt1

GrumpyOne wrote:Do we have to drag out the past again?

What's done is done, we have learnt from it, and moved on.

Time to look to the future.
Agreed - and the future looks bright.

I was just going along with the joke, grumpy one.

For the record - I don't rate any coach above any other - they more or less cancel each other out - it's the recruiters that can make the real difference and matter most to a team's long term success.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

samoht wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Do we have to drag out the past again?

What's done is done, we have learnt from it, and moved on.

Time to look to the future.
Agreed - and the future looks bright.

I was just going along with the joke, grumpy one.

For the record - I don't rate any coach above any other - they more or less cancel each other out - it's the recruiters that can make the real difference and matter most to a team's long term success.
The perpetual argument Sam, does the coach make the players or the players make the coach?

Perhaps the experiences of Roos and Malthouse will throw a light on that issue

On another note closer to the OP.... just tired of us lamenting the past ad nauseum... the future looks bright... happy with that.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Austinnn
Club Player

saynta wrote:Tell us something we don't know.
Wow, I'm spoilt for choice there. How about this one: When your reply is 6 words, there's no need to quote the whole of a 6000-word essay to it. :wink:

In regards to the rest of the remarks, the public has spoken: there will be no part 2. Sorry to bore you. I thought it would serve as a reminder that we are where we are mostly because of how we've recruited over the last 10 years.

I'm pretty happy with the last 2 years' efforts, so maybe we'll start seeing the rewards in about 3 years. Let's hope that the recruiting can still be as good without the Pelican.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
Wow, I'm spoilt for choice there. How about this one: When your reply is 6 words, there's no need to quote the whole of a 6000-word essay to it. :wink:

In regards to the rest of the remarks, the public has spoken: there will be no part 2. Sorry to bore you. I thought it would serve as a reminder that we are where we are mostly because of how we've recruited over the last 10 years.

I'm pretty happy with the last 2 years' efforts, so maybe we'll start seeing the rewards in about 3 years. Let's hope that the recruiting can still be as good without the Pelican.

I wouldn't worry about Saynta. Post what you like. Its all interesting reading and if people don't like it then ignore it.

Austinnn
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:I think it is a fair bit more complicated than just recruiting.
Once recruited the player needs to be developed - physically and mentally. He needs to feel part of the squad and understand expectations. He needs to feel comfortable and accept playing in the VFL if necessary. He needs encouragement and acceptance from senior players. He needs mentoring and leadership. He needs to know where to go to get a decent latte in Seaford.
Its not just about recruiting.

I absolutely agree. Perhaps I phrased the title badly, but (for example) Sam Crocker could have been Puopolo if he'd had a different team environment, or if he'd been trained at the Saints a different way. It starts with the player, but the club they come to has the remit of developing them into useful players. So did we fail the players that didn't make it, or were they not good enough to start with?

A lot of you have said, it's the past, but as an old proverb says, if you don't know your past, then you don't know your present, and if you don't know your present then you don't know your future.

I'd like to do 2011-2014 but I really don't have the time, so if anyone wants to, go ahead. FQF does a decent job of 11 & 12 in a less straightforward but briefer style.

Regarding the photo, yes that's a beauty of a rictus grin from ol Ross. I imagine that being around so many young untried players was making his neck itch.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:

It wasn't only me criticizing you post. I think most posters were pretty bored , as you say, with your post. Oh sorry. plugger thought it was okay evidently. :)

Austinnn
Club Player

Oh dear.

This is where you realise the value of having a seperate word for the plural form of "you" like the latin lingos do. It should have been clear that I was addressing the entirety of the posters on this thread, not just Saynta. Maybe I should have said "Sorry to bore youze/you all/everyone". I don't have a problem with criticism, BTW. I'll try to rise above. But thanks Saynta, for reminding me of what I can plainly see for myself.

Plugger is a man who I often agree with, which is more than can be said for some, but that's ok. We're all different. This thread is not for everyone, but if you've ever wondered "I don't get why those other clubs have such strong lists full of vets and ours is full of kids" then it's worth a read. That's all.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
saynta
Saintsational Legend

This poster has pm'd me again after I asked him not to. Clearly I have attracted a stalker.And one who has threatened me as well.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:This poster has pm'd me again after I asked him not to. Clearly I have attracted a stalker.And one who has threatened me as well.
If someone has threatened you in a PM, I would recommend you report it rather than just alluding to it in a thread.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:This poster has pm'd me again after I asked him not to. Clearly I have attracted a stalker.And one who has threatened me as well.
If this is the case then please report the PM and the moderators can assess it from there.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Austinnn
Club Player

This is just to clear my name: our entire PM exchange. Please identify the threat, saynta. The only one I can find is the threat to report you, is that what you meant? I wouldnt say you were being dishonest, but the word "threaten" is a bit misleading. I hope you're happy that I didn't PM you again.

Me:
Hi,

I think there's a difference between disagreeing with someone's opinion and just babyish insults to get revenge. If you continue with the latter, I'll report you. Not because I can't deal with it myself, but because my version of dealing with it will be more comments, and other posters have to read it, which is boring for them.

But you realise that you are now trolling? Don't waste your time, or mine.

regards

A
saynta:
Don't you dare pm me, you arsewipe.
Me:
Here I go again.

If you want to swear at me, go ahead too. Thought I could reason with you, maybe not, eh? Just trying to keep it out of the public. I can see how this is going to develop.

Get angry all you want, but once you cross the line, you'll make yourself look even more of a fool.

Like I said, don't troll me.
Saynta:
I told you not to pm me . I'm now going to report you for stalking me.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol ...omg
now who ... in their right mind would copy n paste something Stinger
would write.

... they should make a movie about this place !!!

i is grateful for the read as well Austinnn.
... taken me a while to get here (re subject matter bein well done already)
but as that other proverb reminds us
A hungry man will eat anything.

... u could even be brave 'n chuck out part 2.

some of the whingers havnt figured out yet that its all about readn 'n writin.
... dont worry about em ... they'll catch on one day.

(if they dunna kill all the writers off first :roll:)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Lolly

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

This Saynta guy can put it out but acts like a 5 year old when questioned. Matter of fact for a person that has been on this board for at least 11 years its rather strange nearly all his posts have happened in the last month or two. Me thinks he has 2 nics. Just can pin point someone as soft as him previously.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

plugger66 wrote:This Saynta guy can put it out but acts like a 5 year old when questioned. Matter of fact for a person that has been on this board for at least 11 years its rather strange nearly all his posts have happened in the last month or two. Me thinks he has 2 nics. Just can pin point someone as soft as him previously.
Is there a Saynta clause in the rule about multiple nics?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Reprinting pm's here is a clear breach of the rules.

'PRIVACY POLICY

Do not post private details of other posters in the public forums of this Fan Forum, nor post your own private details. It is not appropriate to post private messages in public on Saintsational Forums.

Breach may result in an official warning.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:This Saynta guy can put it out but acts like a 5 year old when questioned. Matter of fact for a person that has been on this board for at least 11 years its rather strange nearly all his posts have happened in the last month or two. Me thinks he has 2 nics. Just can pin point someone as soft as him previously.
Is there a Saynta clause in the rule about multiple nics?

There is a simple answer to that.I don't have multiple nicks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't owe you any explanations but if you had been here any lengh of time you would realise just how silly your post is. My post count got wiped with one of the forum updates along with my password. As I no longer had the same email address I couldn't sign back in again and was only able to read posts no new members were being accepted at the time. BFUSA kindly helped me get back on recently.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 07 May 2015 10:53am, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Reprinting pm's here is a clear breach of the rules.

'PRIVACY POLICY

Do not post private details of other posters in the public forums of this Fan Forum, nor post your own private details. It is not appropriate to post private messages in public on Saintsational Forums.

Give it away saynta... You were implyng that he "threatened" you via PM which is clearly BS...

Don't sook now that he has shown this to be a lie, You were baiting him and he politely asked you to stop.

As Kosi said, if someone genuinely threatens you, report them to the mods and they will be dealt with...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

'PRIVACY POLICY

Give it away saynta... You were implyng that he "threatened" you via PM which is clearly BS...

Don't sook now that he has shown this to be a lie, You were baiting him and he politely asked you to stop.

As Kosi said, if someone genuinely threatens you, report them to the mods and they will be dealt with...
I wasn't baiting him anymore than he was baiting me. He has since apologised so mind your own business.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:

'PRIVACY POLICY

I wasn't baiting him anymore than he was baiting me. He has since apologised so mind your own business.
Just report to the mods if you have a problem instead of making a song and dance in a thread, copy and pasting the rules, I'd rather it not be my business at all.

stinger lives.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Saynta has been caught out being an absolute flog

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:

'PRIVACY POLICY

Just report to the mods if you have a problem instead of making a song and dance in a thread, copy and pasting the rules, I'd rather it not be my business at all.

stinger lives.
Wish you guys would make up your minds. First I get accused of being Harry m, which I'm not, Now I'm being accused of being stinger. Now, according to plugger, Harry m was stinger's love child or his father, cant remember which. So make up your minds

as I'm getting confused. Am i stinger or his dad/son or am i Harry m. I'm getting as confused as plugger.

Really though, you guys and your pack mentality are just driving another saints supporter away from this site.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:

'PRIVACY POLICY

stinger lives.
I see you had nothing to say about plugger calling me sub human and a prick. Actually says a bit about you really.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I actually think the list is starting to look really good. Time to get over those years we put all our eggs in one basket, they're irrelevant now.

One more year of getting as many 1st round picks as possible and with our player payments at something like 85% we're good to go on top up free agents in coming years or paying the youngsters who have shone better contracts that they've earned.

Compared to the mire the list and salary cap were both in, things are pretty rosy really.