Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Spencer White

Just listened to Richo for an hour on SEN. He mentioned at least twice White will be playing Sandy development team tomorrow. How is this helping his development? I would have thought this would be pretty crushing for someone hoping to make the grade.

Where is Spencer at? Will he make it? I watched him against Willy the other week, and he really struggled. Did a bit better last weel appararantly.

Been in the system a while now. Is he an enigma?

Re: Spencer White

8856brother wrote:Just listened to Richo for an hour on SEN. He mentioned at least twice White will be playing Sandy development team tomorrow. How is this helping his development? I would have thought this would be pretty crushing for someone hoping to make the grade.

Where is Spencer at? Will he make it? I watched him against Willy the other week, and he really struggled. Did a bit better last weel appararantly.

I think we need to just forget about Spencer.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:Just listened to Richo for an hour on SEN. He mentioned at least twice White will be playing Sandy development team tomorrow. How is this helping his development? I would have thought this would be pretty crushing for someone hoping to make the grade.

Why Big Boy? Do you think he wont make it? Coach sounded like there was still plenty of love there.

8856brother wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why Big Boy? Do you think he wont make it? Coach sounded like there was still plenty of love there.

I would think playing C grade ammos in your third year isn't a good thing. 40% of players don't make it. Would rather worry about the 60% who may.

seano1
Club Player

I think his head got in his way......one passage of great play in the VFL .a quote that he`s like Buddy and that was that.....just guessing of course but maybe he thought that's it I`m there....but he`s not

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Although there has to be someone drop down. I know Pierce has had a drop down already and there will be others too. They can't stack Sandy and the more that come out of the injury list the more drop down I guess. Anyway hope he makes it, he has some extraordinary traits.

Razor
Club Player

Will be delisted at the end of the year. People have massively overrated him on the back of one highlight. Wish him all the best on his future endeavours

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote:I think his head got in his way......one passage of great play in the VFL .a quote that he`s like Buddy and that was that.....just guessing of course but maybe he thought that's it I`m there....but he`s not
seano1 the Mentalist.

Go, seano1

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

That's bulls***, I spoke to him at the jumper presentation and he's well aware of what he needs to do and said he was trying his best to meet the expectations and said he felt he'd improved the fitness aspects and was trying to work on his defensive pressure so he could make it into the seniors. He said his time in the seniors had given him a taste and he wanted to get a permanent spot. People should really meet these guys before they just make assumptions on their character and how lazy or s*** they are as people.

Tom Lee for instance has been very good for a few games but doesn't get a call up. We rushed in Mc cartin. How would you feel? Hardly motivated. He's now gone back and done his best there and is waiting for a spot down back. Sips, Simpkin, Markworth, Saunders. All of those guys must feel pretty pissed at the way their development is being handled.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Have no idea if the spence will make it but it pays to be drafted by the current coach.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Richo explained that with all the guys recovering from injury and with limits for how many AFL can play VFL then somethings got to give and its far from ideal for him to be there and will get lots of support.

Although I hate the word, is Spencer the sort of big guy "project" player you can just leave on your list, maybe as rookie, as a kind of calculated experiment? Although Bruce is starting to look a genuine forward, we need a much bigger sample size before we can bank on him in our premiership team. Membrey has been just ok, Lee is struggling, whether Hickey or Pierce can be effective forward-rucks is yet to be seen. You may need the insurance of having another big forward developing on the back burner. Hawthron do it with some of their big guys like rucks, just letting them play VFL for years until they mature and there is an opening. We will have quite a few retirements making space and may cut some of our smaller guys like curren, minch or saunders and saad and sippos chances of staying don't look great.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Paddy should be playing dev squad this week. He's kicked donuts in his past 3 games. Didn't Spencer kick 3 last week? Just a thought.

We won't let Spencer go , when he's matured he will fire I can't see how he couldn't , You would think if he is any good he would tear it up in the reserves ..But no one really tears it up in the reserves goal wise , maybe fev has but can't think of anyone else on a consistent basis! Time is what's needed, years even.

suss
Club Player

Given that picks 12 and 13 gave us White, Lee, Wright and Hickey and the first two don't look like making it, was the double trade down a good idea?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Maybe Paddy should be playing dev squad this week. He's kicked donuts in his past 3 games. Didn't Spencer kick 3 last week? Just a thought.
Hitting the scoreboard is half the battle for a forward of course. Obviously the club has concerns about the other half of the battle, the endurance and stamina, the "forward pressure". I certainly haven't given up on him. Let's hope he's given every opportunity.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Given that picks 12 and 13 gave us White, Lee, Wright and Hickey and the first two don't look like making it, was the double trade down a good idea?

Lee seems to have been in the best at Sandy playing down back so he might not be a write off yet and White is looking like a project forward who needs more time. It's only a bust once they are gone.

sasaint
Club Player

felix wrote:We won't let Spencer go , when he's matured he will fire I can't see how he couldn't , You would think if he is any good he would tear it up in the reserves ..But no one really tears it up in the reserves goal wise , maybe fev has but can't think of anyone else on a consistent basis! Time is what's needed, years even.
Milne tore a new one when he was dropped to the mangos. Was promoted back to the seniors next game.

Patience young grasshopper
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought any player - Giving his best- at whatever level - would get noticed and a chance when one exists,

surely each player would then work as giving his best-- achievement whether it be at AFL, VFL or Devl level could only enhance future selection wouldn't it?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Another Spencer White thread? How many is that now?

We must remember Spencer is not he messiah. I'm not even certain whether he is just a very naughty boy, either.

Saint supporter since '62
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:That's bulls***, I spoke to him at the jumper presentation and he's well aware of what he needs to do and said he was trying his best to meet the expectations and said he felt he'd improved the fitness aspects and was trying to work on his defensive pressure so he could make it into the seniors. He said his time in the seniors had given him a taste and he wanted to get a permanent spot. People should really meet these guys before they just make assumptions on their character and how lazy or s*** they are as people.

Tom Lee for instance has been very good for a few games but doesn't get a call up. We rushed in Mc cartin. How would you feel? Hardly motivated. He's now gone back and done his best there and is waiting for a spot down back. Sips, Simpkin, Markworth, Saunders. All of those guys must feel pretty pissed at the way their development is being handled.

That's a very emotive response Gringo. Just because you have spoken to him doesn't mean he gives 100% on or off the field. I have never spoken to him but I can see he isn't giving 100% on the field even if he thinks he is. No idea about off field but if he kicked 3 last week and was dropped you would also be worried about off field. I spoke to Justin Sweeney once and he told me he was giving 100%. Sounded very sincere. Next time I saw him, but didn't speak to him, I found out he was late for training twice and he had 2 lighters in his room.

As for you other point well if players are that soft and spit the dummy because they aren't getting a game well they are to soft for AFL footy. McCartin deserved a game ahead of White when he was played. Also tell me where Lee should be playing this week? Who should he replace in the backline? No idea why Sippos should be pissed off. Or Markworth. Love to hear your reasons for those 2. Saunders skills need working and Tom is just plain unlucky that he is too short for a KPP and there is no spot for a flanker.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Have no idea if the spence will make it but it pays to be drafted by the current coach.
Excellent point and applys to most jobs.

If you weren't hired by your current boss you have to prove yourself to them.

All players should be innately aware of this. Established champions fit into a different category as they have runs
on the board. Richo seems to abide by this.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:That's bulls***, I spoke to him at the jumper presentation and he's well aware of what he needs to do and said he was trying his best to meet the expectations and said he felt he'd improved the fitness aspects and was trying to work on his defensive pressure so he could make it into the seniors. He said his time in the seniors had given him a taste and he wanted to get a permanent spot. People should really meet these guys before they just make assumptions on their character and how lazy or s*** they are as people.

That's a very emotive response Gringo. Just because you have spoken to him doesn't mean he gives 100% on or off the field. I have never spoken to him but I can see he isn't giving 100% on the field even if he thinks he is. No idea about off field but if he kicked 3 last week and was dropped you would also be worried about off field. I spoke to Justin Sweeney once and he told me he was giving 100%. Sounded very sincere. Next time I saw him, but didn't speak to him, I found out he was late for training twice and he had 2 lighters in his room.

As for you other point well if players are that soft and spit the dummy because they aren't getting a game well they are to soft for AFL footy. McCartin deserved a game ahead of White when he was played. Also tell me where Lee should be playing this week? Who should he replace in the backline? No idea why Sippos should be pissed off. Or Markworth. Love to hear your reasons for those 2. Saunders skills need working and Tom is just plain unlucky that he is too short for a KPP and there is no spot for a flanker.
How was Mc cartin ahead of anyone? Even in the intraclub he was pretty average. I think you are right that he might be just saying what you are meant to say but I have heard from another poster via PM that a relative on the fringe is feeling like the coach has written him off and isn't managing his development or giving guidance. Another silly response from you as nothing more than a contrary viewpoint. These young guys are trying to make it, not all will. You get all whiny when there might be an expectation of a win in case people raise their expectations and bag the players. You then have no issues bagging the character and motivation of a 20 year old kid and use the evidence of a bad boy that was around 10 years ago to say he's liar. Spencer is a nice kid and might actually be the problem, it is harder for guys like Sweeney these days because he wouldn't meet the draft standards.Lee should have at least been named as an emergency or given some motivation. I'm not saying he is an automatic inclusion. I'm saying there is a worrying trend towards leaving these guys out and forgetting about them once we get some new recruits. We will be in a constant cycle of shitness if we get new recruits then stop the development on the 2nd and 3rd year players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How was Mc cartin ahead of anyone? Even in the intraclub he was pretty average. I think you are right that he might be just saying what you are meant to say but I have heard from another poster via PM that a relative on the fringe is feeling like the coach has written him off and isn't managing his development or giving guidance. Another silly response from you as nothing more than a contrary viewpoint. These young guys are trying to make it, not all will. You get all whiny when there might be an expectation of a win in case people raise their expectations and bag the players. You then have no issues bagging the character and motivation of a 20 year old kid and use the evidence of a bad boy that was around 10 years ago to say he's liar. Spencer is a nice kid and might actually be the problem, it is harder for guys like Sweeney these days because he wouldn't meet the draft standards.Lee should have at least been named as an emergency or given some motivation. I'm not saying he is an automatic inclusion. I'm saying there is a worrying trend towards leaving these guys out and forgetting about them once we get some new recruits. We will be in a constant cycle of shitness if we get new recruits then stop the development on the 2nd and 3rd year players.

Im pretty sure he kicked 4 goals in the game before he played in the seniors. And nothing to do with contrary point of view. That now seems your common response when what I say makes sense and you have nothing to add to the discussion. And show me where I bagged the character and motivation of White. Poor Gringo. When you speak to these players you think that all of a sudden you believe everything they say and trust them. Spencer probably is a great kid. Another emotive response that has nothing to do with why he is struggling though. And thanks for not responding to anything I actually said. Shows you have little on the topic and its all about emotion because you spoke to him. The coach is playing exactly the right players. Now my questions were pretty simple. Surely you could answer them instead of making things up about what I said.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think White has been poorly handled actually and some of the negative comments made by coaching staff hasn't helped

But I am fairly certain that being written off early by this forum has been a pretty common general experience for guys like Lenny and Armo for example.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:I think White has been poorly handled actually and some of the negative comments made by coaching staff hasn't helped

But i am very certain that being written off early by this forum has been a pretty common general experience for guys like Lenny and Armo for example.

The problem is the club only gave him a one year contract. There was obviously reasons for that and if he struggles this year, which he obviously is so far, then why does he get another contract?