Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Bruce

He just gets better every week! What a player! That running goal followed by the 2-1 contested mark with pin point kick to Lonie was was awesome

#1 Ryder fan
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bruce

Had his arms chopped too, no free.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Wow he's come good. Outstanding player, a real came from nowhere story.

Saintberra
Club Player

That's my boy :')

Playon
Club Player

I'm sold, wasn't sure to start off with, but wow he's made that spot his own. well deserved

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Playon wrote:I'm sold, wasn't sure to start off with, but wow he's made that spot his own. well deserved
I was sold about 5 weeks ago. Guy is on the way to becoming one of the top 3 forwards. few more years god knows how good he might be.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
loris
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:He just gets better every week! What a player! That running goal followed by the 2-1 contested mark with pin point kick to Lonie was was awesome
Must have kicked it out of the ground........ Lonie isn't in the team...... try another Jack :P

Playon
Club Player

To be honest I didn't think he was going to make it when he was playing down back, Playing up forward is a whole new story

Saintlester
Club Player

Last quarter Shenton gives away free to No 36, probably there but then ball goes to other end, same thing happens to Josh, play on.

Having said that love not just his marking but his appetite to work hard at every contest. Creates opportunities for others as well.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

That mark, cut through traffic and pass to sinclair reminded me of Buddy, except buddy would of had a shot. Excellent and unselfish play from Bruce.
Last edited by Griggsy on Sat 23 May 2015 11:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Sorry meant Sinclair not Lonie!!

#1 Ryder fan
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

He is the first of our new recruits who looks like he has the potential to develop into a real "star" - a great replacement for Rooey.

From backline battler to forward line magician - who would have thought in such a short time. Good move, coaches :idea: :idea:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It wasnt so long go we were having discussions about Jack Darling, John Butcher and Ben Griffiths
Seems like a world away now we have the Bruuuuuuce. Who would have thought hed be this good fwd. Still only 22. Wowee. He is the real deal.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

He had me at hello

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Imagine having the Bruce and Charlie Dixon up forward. The Twin Hirsute Towers

loris
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't Bruce's contract run out at end of 2016? I think we need to spend some of money and stich him up now for a few extra years.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Doesn't Bruce's contract run out at end of 2016? I think we need to spend some of money and stich him up now for a few extra years.
Yes it does.

And I would imagine after his start that is excatly what we will do.

I get the impression that Bruce is really enjoying his emergence at the Saints after having been a small fish at GWS....and so if we give him on ok deal (and obviously it will be very lucrative deal as big good forwards are paid well) I suspect that he would not be rushing off to another team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

What's great about Brucey is just how many elements as a forward he is showing - he's got great hands, great timing on leads, can crash packs, has a great leap and timing in leaps, puts great forward pressure on, a real forward focus and bring the ball to ground and lock it in, can go up the ground and use good foot skills to set up other players, is a good shot on goal. He could even be a swing man down back in an emergency situation.

Whether he can be a second power forward to Paddy I'm not sure. He's only 23 so would need to put on weight to be able to sustain regular pack crashing but I don't know if he's got that build. I see him more being an extremely versatile third forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:What's great about Brucey is just how many elements as a forward he is showing - he's got great hands, great timing on leads, can crash packs, has a great leap and timing in leaps, puts great forward pressure on, a real forward focus and bring the ball to ground and lock it in, can go up the ground and use good foot skills to set up other players, is a good shot on goal. He could even be a swing man down back in an emergency situation.

Whether he can be a second power forward to Paddy I'm not sure. He's only 23 so would need to put on weight to be able to sustain regular pack crashing but I don't know if he's got that build. I see him more being an extremely versatile third forward.

I am confused. What you have initially described above is exactly what your No 1 forward to be these days.

At the end of last year I thought Bruce would makea good No 3 forward as he lookeda bit limited. But as you say, he is the complete package and that is a No1 forward whether that ne CHF ir FF. Mind you the terms of CHF and FF are really redundant today.

However the way AFL is played today regular pack crashing is not required and you simply do not get packs gathering as much as you used too. It is why Kosi reached he use by date when he did. The rapid ball movement of today favours the mobile over the bruisers. What you want are endurance beasts like Bruce or Roo who have great timing.

One other factor I love about Bruce is that he is a very smart player. Where Roo just always attacks the ball, sometimes to the detriment of a team-mate Bruce has great awareness who if he senses a team mate is in better marking position that he will alter his approach to shepherd rather than compete. ie That mark he let Billings take. In that situation Roo would normally just crash into the contest. As did say Kosi.

Hopefully he and Paddy can develop into a duo that terrorise opposition backlines. But here and now Bruce is delivering what you want a No 1 forward to deliver. It is up to paddy to do likewise. Though it may well be that Paddy will be more your lead and mark key forward. Let's hope though that he can grow intoa well rounded key forward like Bruce has.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I like to claim him after we were at a game they sent him forward last year, I think it was against the Dogs or Brisbane? Can't remember. I don't think he kicked a goal but I posted on here that he would have kicked a bag that day if they had used him as the go to forward. Rooey and Stanley had a really good day that day because he was just a natural old school lead to the right spots forward so drew a player who became fixated on him. He got clear of his player without trying and found space in dangerous spots. I said to my dad he's a forward more than a back that day. The ability to get separation from the defenders is first rate and he does it easily and in limited space.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I like to claim him after we were at a game they sent him forward last year, I think it was against the Dogs or Brisbane? Can't remember. I don't think he kicked a goal but I posted on here that he would have kicked a bag that day if they had used him as the go to forward. Rooey and Stanley had a really good day that day because he was just a natural old school lead to the right spots forward so drew a player who became fixated on him. He got clear of his player without trying and found space in dangerous spots. I said to my dad he's a forward more than a back that day. The ability to get separation from the defenders is first rate and he does it easily and in limited space.
Well there you have it, gringo is The Man (or Woman)!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
gringo wrote:I like to claim him after we were at a game they sent him forward last year, I think it was against the Dogs or Brisbane? Can't remember. I don't think he kicked a goal but I posted on here that he would have kicked a bag that day if they had used him as the go to forward. Rooey and Stanley had a really good day that day because he was just a natural old school lead to the right spots forward so drew a player who became fixated on him. He got clear of his player without trying and found space in dangerous spots. I said to my dad he's a forward more than a back that day. The ability to get separation from the defenders is first rate and he does it easily and in limited space.
Well there you have it, gringo is The Man (or Woman)!

I like to think so.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Bluthy wrote:What's great about Brucey is just how many elements as a forward he is showing - he's got great hands, great timing on leads, can crash packs, has a great leap and timing in leaps, puts great forward pressure on, a real forward focus and bring the ball to ground and lock it in, can go up the ground and use good foot skills to set up other players, is a good shot on goal. He could even be a swing man down back in an emergency situation.

I am confused. What you have initially described above is exactly what your No 1 forward to be these days.

At the end of last year I thought Bruce would makea good No 3 forward as he lookeda bit limited. But as you say, he is the complete package and that is a No1 forward whether that ne CHF ir FF. Mind you the terms of CHF and FF are really redundant today.

However the way AFL is played today regular pack crashing is not required and you simply do not get packs gathering as much as you used too. It is why Kosi reached he use by date when he did. The rapid ball movement of today favours the mobile over the bruisers. What you want are endurance beasts like Bruce or Roo who have great timing.

One other factor I love about Bruce is that he is a very smart player. Where Roo just always attacks the ball, sometimes to the detriment of a team-mate Bruce has great awareness who if he senses a team mate is in better marking position that he will alter his approach to shepherd rather than compete. ie That mark he let Billings take. In that situation Roo would normally just crash into the contest. As did say Kosi.

Hopefully he and Paddy can develop into a duo that terrorise opposition backlines. But here and now Bruce is delivering what you want a No 1 forward to deliver. It is up to paddy to do likewise. Though it may well be that Paddy will be more your lead and mark key forward. Let's hope though that he can grow intoa well rounded key forward like Bruce has.
Well footy just gets more congested each year so I don't know what you mean by not pack crashing not required. Big forwards get hammered around a lot - that's their job to go at contests with arms outstretched and backs try to hammer them at every opportunity. You look at all those key forwards - Rooey, Buddy, Roughead, Waite, Kennedy etc start out skinny but you can see they have big frames that they can then start to pack muscle on over time to withstand the bruising hits of playing as a power forward for years. Bruce seems to have more a skinny hipster type frame (maybe its the man bun). He's 23 so still got time to build himself up. But maybe he could redefine being a power forward because of his versatility.

Paddy was brought in because he will definitely be doing some serious pack crashing once he's built up his body as well as a good instinct on the lead. Paddy will be that Hawkins type you need on Grand final day to send defenders flying like bowling pins in congested packs to open things up.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Well footy just gets more congested each year so I don't know what you mean by not pack crashing not required. Big forwards get hammered around a lot - that's their job to go at contests with arms outstretched and backs try to hammer them at every opportunity. You look at all those key forwards - Rooey, Buddy, Roughead, Waite, Kennedy etc start out skinny but you can see they have big frames that they can then start to pack muscle on over time to withstand the bruising hits of playing as a power forward for years. Bruce seems to have more a skinny hipster type frame (maybe its the man bun). He's 23 so still got time to build himself up. But maybe he could redefine being a power forward because of his versatility.

Paddy was brought in because he will definitely be doing some serious pack crashing once he's built up his body as well as a good instinct on the lead. Paddy will be that Hawkins type you need on Grand final day to send defenders flying like bowling pins in congested packs to open things up.
He's not as skinny as he looks, he is very stacked up close. He's a really nice size for KPF IMO. I reckon he'd be around 100 kegs these days. Sam Gilbert has put on a lot of bulk the last couple of years too. They both look like characters in Masters of the universe these day. He-man-bun and Skillator. I I don't know how big Paddy will get he looks quite skinny up close but has a slab sided torso. He has actually lost some puppy fat so looks a bit runty ATM. The guy who will fill out to be absolutely huge is big Baby Huey Goddard. The guy has a frame that will develop into an absolute huge beast of a man.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Do you's think our decision to choose McCartin over Petracca would have been different if we had known Bruce was going to be so good up forward?