What has been missed in the excitement of Sunday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: What has been missed in the excitement of Sunday

FQF wrote:What really has been missed in the excitement of Sunday was how Jesse Hogan tore our defence to shreds. He got his first opponent subbed out of the game and continued kicking goals with ease after that. We need to do better than that, and I wonder how Hugh Goddard would have gone on him had he been picked. Hogan was the only reason they were in the game.
Jesse Hogan is an utter gun.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote: Donuts for Watts re tackles on the weekend. Ultimate seagull who is softer than Kim Kardashians arse
His miss from 20m out with no pressure was deplorable. Such a spud of a footballer.

Rumour is that the most anyone offered last year was a 3rd round pick- apparently Demons hierarchy were shopping him harder than a Frankston stripper who just won Tatts...
That is a pretty big arse. Mind you full of silcon gel

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
jamesmc
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Hogan didn't actually dominate. The delivery of the ball to him which resulted in his first two goals was perfect - low, hard, straight passes about 30cm off the ground and out in front of him. Even SOS would have been scratching his head on how to get a fist in. Yes, Hogan converted both chances - but the delivery was centimetre perfect.

He got another one over the back running onto the footy - arguable his opponent should have been checking him more closely, but it still involved an element of luck.

I think he just made the most of his 4 or 5 chances. I don't think it was a concern for our defence. Having said that, Hogan will be an outstanding player in a couple more years - very strong hands, very good at leading to the right spots and a great kick.
Same could be said about Roo.
Kicked a couple of easy ones etc

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
Legendary wrote:Hogan didn't actually dominate. The delivery of the ball to him which resulted in his first two goals was perfect - low, hard, straight passes about 30cm off the ground and out in front of him. Even SOS would have been scratching his head on how to get a fist in. Yes, Hogan converted both chances - but the delivery was centimetre perfect.

He got another one over the back running onto the footy - arguable his opponent should have been checking him more closely, but it still involved an element of luck.

I think he just made the most of his 4 or 5 chances. I don't think it was a concern for our defence. Having said that, Hogan will be an outstanding player in a couple more years - very strong hands, very good at leading to the right spots and a great kick.
Same could be said about Roo.
Kicked a couple of easy ones etc

I agree. Imagine how much we would be going off our heads if we had a first year player like him. I don't care how he got his goals. He got 5 and was bloody good.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:The good and bad of Sam Gilbert was missed.
He took some really good intercept marks (even if he did outmark Dempster twice) and showed his trademark godawful foot skills and sloppy ball handling.

It means that Shenton is done as Roberton will come back into the team. We can't have both Shenton and Gilbert disposing of the ball inside the defensive 50.
There are a lot of "can't haves" posted on here.

Can't have Dunstan and Ross in the same team. Can't have Shenton and Gilbert together in the back line.

Oh yes we can and we did. Won too.
I think the inference is that we can't have that against a good side.
Melbourne are not a good side and didn't make us pay like a finals contender would have.
I've never said, nor do I agree, that we can't have Dunstan and Ross in the same team...We need good midfielders able to rotate through the centre square. They fit the bill.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Donuts for Watts re tackles on the weekend. Ultimate seagull who is softer than Kim Kardashians arse
Soft ... I reckon you could bounce a coin on those globes ... or park a bike between them! :mrgreen:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
FQF wrote:What really has been missed in the excitement of Sunday was how Jesse Hogan tore our defence to shreds. He got his first opponent subbed out of the game and continued kicking goals with ease after that. We need to do better than that, and I wonder how Hugh Goddard would have gone on him had he been picked. Hogan was the only reason they were in the game.
Jesse Hogan is an utter gun.

I'm hoping that Paddy McCartin is going to be that good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am hoping Paddy gets another go shortly. We need to get games into him and Goddard, and more games into McKenzie too.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am hoping Paddy gets another go shortly. We need to get games into him and Goddard, and more games into McKenzie too.

Not if they aren't ready.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

By all reports Goddard is ready but has some solid competition for spots.
When drafted the scouts said McCartin was ready to go from day one but would still take time as all key positions do

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:By all reports Goddard is ready but has some solid competition for spots.
Competition? Like Shenton playing above his height?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Delany, Dempster, Fisher, now Gilbert. They are the ones keeping Goddard out.
I saw a picture of McCartin from the Port Melbourne game his jumper was baggy and he had no muscle definition
We read the article last year about how amazing his training was before the draft and the sessions were worth paying money for. Those who have seen him up close does he look in good condition?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote:Delany, Dempster, Fisher, now Gilbert. They are the ones keeping Goddard out.
I saw a picture of McCartin from the Port Melbourne game his jumper was baggy and he had no muscle definition
We read the article last year about how amazing his training was before the draft and the sessions were worth paying money for. Those who have seen him up close does he look in good condition?
For an 18 y.o yes he look fine.

For an AFL footballer? No he is underdeveloped. Almost every single 18 y.o. is underdeveloped for AFL

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Delany, Dempster, Fisher, now Gilbert. They are the ones keeping Goddard out.
For an 18 y.o yes he look fine.

For an AFL footballer? No he is underdeveloped. Almost every single 18 y.o. is underdeveloped for AFL

Yeah he was a bit chubby but has actually slimmed down a bit. Really needs to hit the gym hard. His game needs a bit of bulk.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I have no real concerns about how Paddy looks because the conditioning staff of all clubs will never allow another Lance Whittnal (?).
I do believe that if Petracca was playing and playing as would have been expected then this place would be and McCartin bashing site.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough, I guess that's true. Still I'd suggest Dempster and Gilbert aren't really key backs, and Fisher is out so if the coaches thought he was ready then he'd definitely be getting a game.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote:I have no real concerns about how Paddy looks because the conditioning staff of all clubs will never allow another Lance Whittnal (?).
I do believe that if Petracca was playing and playing as would have been expected then this place would be and McCartin bashing site.
Why bother with a hypothetical like that? It's like searching for something to be negative about. Paddy will be a gun and the club is managing his entry into league footy perfectly.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Watching Melbourne take it up to Geelong at Simonds Stadium of all places makes me think that we missed very little in the excitement of Sunday - We played a good game against a team of equal skill level and triumphed. Melbourne are not the easy beats that people had them marked as. They have played some solid football over the past three weeks.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
howlinwolf
Club Player

Agree completely Sainterdad.
The win last week was underestimated.
Melb put a lot of work into beating us and came up short.
Roos was furious.
Melb beat Geelong at SS by 4 goals.I can count on one hand how many times that has happened.
I vote this thread redundant !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was speaking to a mate who is very involved in the club as a high profile supporter and he was devastated and said they had spent a lot of time analysing us and set them selves for a winnable match. He was totally f%$#ed off and said there was a lot people very upset internally that they let it slip.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I was speaking to a mate who is very involved in the club as a high profile supporter and he was devastated and said they had spent a lot of time analysing us and set them selves for a winnable match. He was totally f%$#ed off and said there was a lot people very upset internally that they let it slip.
Good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

GOODER!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Goodest

FQF
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:Watching Melbourne take it up to Geelong at Simonds Stadium of all places makes me think that we missed very little in the excitement of Sunday - We played a good game against a team of equal skill level and triumphed. Melbourne are not the easy beats that people had them marked as. They have played some solid football over the past three weeks.
And it can't be said that Melbourne were having an off day when they played us. Almost every one of their players had a good game, including Hogan who didn't even play in the win against Geelong.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Good.
thejiggingsaint wrote:GOODER!
saynta wrote:Goodest
Boooooooo!!! 8-)