Team v Bulldogs late change Fisher out Delaney in.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Team v Bulldogs

Teflon wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Good old fashioned team
Lol nice way of putting it.
I think dropping Acres is a mistake and not the future.
Dogs should have to much run IMO.
Acres is one paced. Run wont be affected.

You are garbage - Enough said
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Team v Bulldogs

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Well if it is we'll get a better draft pick Image

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:What a joke. Are we the oldest team of the round. Talk about a shortarse dad's army backline. Thank god we have schneider back because we're really missing that experience. Stupid, stupid selections again that give the team no chance of a win.
Blah, blah, blah, broken record. More negative than a minus sign. Hate to be your husband.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:What a joke. Are we the oldest team of the round. Talk about a shortarse dad's army backline. Thank god we have schneider back because we're really missing that experience. Stupid, stupid selections again that give the team no chance of a win.
Blah, blah, blah, broken record. More negative than a minus sign. Hate to be your husband.
Especially if you're an old, short man Image

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Team needs more over 30's IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Team needs more over 30's IMO.

Exactly the reason we must stagger their retirements. 2 must somehow go this year.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Schneider the only one guaranteed to retire. Roo and Joey guaranteed to stay.

Fisher 70/30 to retire
Dempster 70/30 to stay
Gilbert 90/10 to stay

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Some absurd comments in this thread.

Simply, the best 22 available have been selected.

The three ins (Fisher, Roberton, Schneider) would all be among our top 10-12 in the best and fairest at this point.

The three outs are warranted. Acres will be a star but had a poor games against Melbourne & Hawthorn, Shenton is a goer but it's hard to fit him in the best 22 when there's minimal injuries, and Delaney was monstered by a kid last time out and has struggled for form.

All our other older players deserve their spot. Roo and Joey are in our best 5 players, Dempster held us together down back against Melbourne, Gilbert was excellent on his return from injury and Ray does his bit and can hardly be dropped ahead of his 200th game.

And the calls for Minchington and Membrey to be dropped are slightly unfair. If we intend to cope with the dogs manic pressure, we need to create our own, especially in the forward half. Michington was #3 in the AFL for pressure acts in Round 11 and must stay in with Billings & Sinclair unavailable, while Membrey had 3 forward 50 tackles (the 2nd most of any player), had three scoring shots and played arguably his best game for the saints.

If you're concerned about youth, enjoy watching the 13 players under the age of 25 running around for us on Saturday night.

Megamaguire
Club Player

L E T ' S G O S A I N T S

Potentially another thriller v's the Dogs. An experienced backline with Gilbe on the verge of 2 in a row for a long time. like Roberton in the mix and hope he has another good run. Webster the prefered young'un in the back 6. Dogs are still a talented young team on the rise, if Saints desire and cohesion make it difficult for the Dogs it'll be another good development game.
Hoping... Gilbert gets through unscathed.
Ross has a good one etc etc.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The three ins have all played well this year.

Why bag them just cause two of them are oldies?

Not all the kids are worthy of selection and two of them, Membrey and Minch are borderline selections.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I reckon Acres 1 paced is faster than the 1 paced 30+ yr old brought in?
Anyway, Dogs should win on talent IMO

“Yeah….nah””
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I reckon Acres 1 paced is faster than the 1 paced 30+ yr old brought in?
Anyway, Dogs should win on talent IMO

Well he is not, and the 30+ yr old brought in is a better player than him at this stage of his career.

I do agree Doggies should win, which will make you very happy your hard Tanking anti Saints bastard :D :wink:

You are garbage - Enough said
The Disch
Club Player

8856brother wrote:
She is always very negative.
Maybe Schneider knocked her back one evening.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Not one key position defender. Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster and Roberton all play 3rd tall/loose. It's going to get pretty messy down there in the backline tomorrow. Good to see Shenton as one of the emergencies.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We are really in an unusual list profile situation with only three real mid career peak players in Steven, Geary and Armo. The rest are borderline retirees or kids. Even guys that are a bit older than kids are not very experienced with Roberton and Shenton still very inexperienced despite being early 20s. We need the experience to remain competitive. We don't have many first picked kids at the moment with Billings and lonie the only two I would say only go out if injured. The rest are all developing still. It makes selection hard as you don't want to build a complacent list who think games come to them just by turning up each week. You also don't want to stunt anyone's development by getting them smashed either. We have ben picking teams that are winning games still and are mostly competitive so I will back the team selectors on who the named.

FQF
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:Not one key position defender. Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster and Roberton all play 3rd tall/loose. It's going to get pretty messy down there in the backline tomorrow. Good to see Shenton as one of the emergencies.
Yeh it's going to get so messy without the expertise of Delaney. Who is going to cause all this mess? Tom Boyd who has not really played a good game in his whole career to date? I look forward to coming back to this post after it gets messy.
Last edited by FQF on Fri 26 Jun 2015 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Not one key position defender. Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster and Roberton all play 3rd tall/loose. It's going to get pretty messy down there in the backline tomorrow. Good to see Shenton as one of the emergencies.
Yeh it's going to get so messy without the expertise of Delaney. Who is going to cause all this mess? Tom Boyd who has not really played a good game in his whole career to date? I look forward to coming back to this post after it get's messy.
It takes many components to make a really good player.

Boyd has one of them; height.

Whoever his opponent ends up being is likely to have all the others.

Yes, there is a very small chance that Boyd could have a day out and kick a bag.

But that could equally happen against Delaney, Goddard or Lee.

Anywho, the team looks fine for June 2015 - back 'em in 8-)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Boyd at this stage of his career is a gumby and is being gifted games due to the size of his contract, rather than what he is showing on the field this year. I expect Fisher to take him and to run off him every chance he gets.

That leavers Stringer who is good, but no giant. So Gilbert, Robo and Demspter are all valid options on him.

The Dogs simply do not have a tall forward line. Delany would have handedled Boyd easily I have no doubt, but I think the selectors have decided to go witha more attacking backline instead due to Boyd's limitations.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Happy to see Minch get another crack, hopefully without the sub vest. Minus Billings I suspect this is how the coaches see our best 22; no excuses if we don't get a win/put in an impressive effort. Fisher is far too smart and mobile for Boyd at this point in time, even though Delaney is an ideal matchup physically I guess we're backing in our experienced defenders and opting for the extra rebound.

I do find it a little concerning that we're fielding so many older players when we're in the middle of a rebuild, but if we put in good performances and build a winning culture I don't mind. However if we go down without a fight when there are plenty of kids stuck at Sandy who could be gaining experience in the seniors then I won't be happy.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

cant say im overly thrilled with some of the selections tbh

but

its the long road ahead we are looking towards i guess

glad minch got another run
reckon he just might make it

Munga
Saintsational Legend

We've had nearly a full list to choose from for a few weeks now. Can't believe we couldn't have this at finals time. 97, 04, 05 it really cost us.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Munga wrote:We've had nearly a full list to choose from for a few weeks now. Can't believe we couldn't have this at finals time. 97, 04, 05 it really cost us.
Yeah.... We we had such an awesome list in 2005 that never got on the park. That last quarter in the prelim against Sydney was like a dagger in the guts.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Schneider the only one guaranteed to retire. Roo and Joey guaranteed to stay.

Fisher 70/30 to retire
Dempster 70/30 to stay
Gilbert 90/10 to stay

Ray maybe delisted as well.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Schneider the only one guaranteed to retire. Roo and Joey guaranteed to stay.

Fisher 70/30 to retire
Dempster 70/30 to stay
Gilbert 90/10 to stay

Even if we only cull 2 or 3 old blokes, we will still have PLENTY of new spaces available for young talent on the list…

Need a miracle - 4
Sippos, Markworth, Simpkin, White

Thin ice - 5
Pierce, Minchington, Saunders, Murdoch, Curren,

Possible retirements - 5
Schneider, Fisher, Dempster, Ray, Gilbert (if his foot flares again)

And well probably trade out a player, maybe another ruckman if we get a good offer.

With Sinclair the only likely upgrade, we'll find plenty of new spots on the list without too much trouble.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Fisher 70/30 to retire
Dempster 70/30 to stay
Gilbert 90/10 to stay

Even if we only cull 2 or 3 old blokes, we will still have PLENTY of new spaces available for young talent on the list…

Need a miracle - 4
Sippos, Markworth, Simpkin, White

Thin ice - 5
Pierce, Minchington, Saunders, Murdoch, Curren,

Possible retirements - 5
Schneider, Fisher, Dempster, Ray, Gilbert (if his foot flares again)

And well probably trade out a player, maybe another ruckman if we get a good offer.

With Sinclair the only likely upgrade, we'll find plenty of new spots on the list without too much trouble.

My reason isn't about spots. Its just we don't want to lose so many games experience all at once especially if they all playing regularly.