McCartin article - The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

McCartin article - The Age

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/-gi1q29.html
What was once perceived as a hole on St Kilda's list is quickly evolving into an area of depth that means the club's No.1 draft pick Paddy McCartin will wait for his chance despite his encouraging form in the VFL.....

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Megamaguire
Club Player

PADDY MC's POS ATTITUDE HELPS SAINTS

Great to hear Paddy is maintaining his positive attitude and keeps building his development through the VFL experience. Brucey spoke very positively himself in regard to what Paddy is bringing to our club and it is great to hear. I was instantly impressed with the way Paddy spoke upon joining the Saints. Sounds like he is trying to be as professional and open to development for the Big Time as he can.
Having Brucey shooting up a few development levels already this season is a welcome & exciting outcome for us Sainters. Of coarse Rooey being who he is and how he plays more than deserves his spot on the Fwd. line so Paddy and co. just have to keep doing what they are doing well and it'll be great to see Paddy Mc sharing the joy fairly soon.

Keep Up The Good Work Paddy !

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin article - The Age

He is a great guy Paddy, he will be a favourite son in a few years. Any doubts I had were taken away when meeting him. He is an upbeat infectious type of personality and relaxed in company. He was the first guy to arrive with Holmes at the jumper launch and went round the crowd and introduced himself with a "G'day my name's Paddy, how's it going?" He is a big friendly country boy and will be a real asset off field and his footy is starting to make him an asset on field as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is a great guy Paddy, he will be a favourite son in a few years. Any doubts I had were taken away when meeting him. He is an upbeat infectious type of personality and relaxed in company. He was the first guy to arrive with Holmes at the jumper launch and went round the crowd and introduced himself with a "G'day my name's Paddy, how's it going?" He is a big friendly country boy and will be a real asset off field and his footy is starting to make him an asset on field as well.

I can name many players who I have met who are great blokes and some I have met who aren't. means jack in the end to be honest.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:He is a great guy Paddy, he will be a favourite son in a few years. Any doubts I had were taken away when meeting him. He is an upbeat infectious type of personality and relaxed in company. He was the first guy to arrive with Holmes at the jumper launch and went round the crowd and introduced himself with a "G'day my name's Paddy, how's it going?" He is a big friendly country boy and will be a real asset off field and his footy is starting to make him an asset on field as well.

I can name many players who I have met who are great blokes and some I have met who aren't. means jack in the end to be honest.
As long as the good outweight the bad to ensure a good overall culture. Even the biggest dickheads will respond to pressure from 'good blokes' if there are enough of them and the foundation culture is a good one. Steve Baker is an example. I have it on good authority he was an absolute dick, but he became great mates with lenny Hayes who as quoted in some of his media stuff kept him on the straight and narrow...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What a sad person you are I'm pretty sure that no one is ever going to accuse you of being a good bloke.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What a sad person you are I'm pretty sure that no one is ever going to accuse you of being a good bloke.
Sad person? He is a good bloke, you - not so much clearly.

Being a good bloke does not make you a good footballer, that's all plugger was saying, nothing more, nothing less… not sure why bothered to comment at all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who knows but I think they will. What we can plainly see is you aren't a good poster. You are funny though in a sad sort of way. Now can you explain wht I am a sad person from what I wrote?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sad person? He is a good bloke, you - not so much clearly.

Being a good bloke does not make you a good footballer, that's all plugger was saying, nothing more, nothing less… not sure why bothered to comment at all.
Not sure why you bothered to comment either.But hey, maybe my comments were too close to home for you too.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear 8-)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who knows but I think they will. What we can plainly see is you aren't a good poster. You are funny though in a sad sort of way. Now can you explain wht I am a sad person from what I wrote?
Misery guts was my first thought after seeing your post.

I've met many many footballers over the years and never felt the need to judge them for anything other than their footballing ability.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Good to hear 8-)
plus one

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I've met many many footballers over the years and never felt the need to judge them for anything other than their footballing ability.

Are you serious? Do you realise that is exactly what I said? Surely you are smarter than that? If you aren't then you need to find another site. And misery guts from my post? You are genuinely weird.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Are you serious? Do you realise that is exactly what I said? Surely you are smarter than that? If you aren't then you need to find another site. And misery guts from my post? You are genuinely weird.
Are we living in alternative universes. This is what you said.

"I can name many players who I have met who are great blokes and some I have met who aren't." That is, they weren't good blokes.

which is the exact opposite of what you are claiming to have said. And you call me weird.

And no, I won't be looking for another site, as I am really enjoying this one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

"I can name many players who I have met who are great blokes and some I have met who aren't." That is, they weren't good blokes.

which is the exact opposite of what you are claiming to have said. And you call me weird.

My god you just don't understand. Read what I originally said in context of the previous post. Its exactly the same as what you said. Please look for another site or get some smarts. At the moment you are embarrassing yourself and in turn embarrassing this site.

FQF
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry mate but you've completely misread this one.

Austinnn
Club Player

Read the last sentence again, you fool. In a correct society you would have full adult privileges removed for the greater good.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a 20 year old McCartin champing at the bit after 2 years training under Roo in the VFL to show us what he can do. I hope Roo and Hamill are in his ear day and night about how to improve.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hey stinger, what do you think of Gary Ablett Snr or Wayne Carey as blokes?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I hope and think McCartin become the star we need him to be. The ability of a Roughead would be great but remember he took years to become the star he is now.

Austinnn
Club Player

Josh Bruce is such a great result for our club in terms of shielding McCartin while he does his apprenticeship. Roo is ironically a much better kick for goal these days, so he agan is giving Paddy time and mentoring.

Now in a way we're back to the problems of 2012; a desperate need for a key backman. Fisher can't go on much longer, Dempster can't go as well with the big power forwards, Delaney is down on form, Goddard needs time to develop. We could do with another tall full back. Are there any possibilities we could trade for? (wrong thread I know)

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
stjay
Club Player

Austinnn wrote:Josh Bruce is such a great result for our club in terms of shielding McCartin while he does his apprenticeship. Roo is ironically a much better kick for goal these days, so he agan is giving Paddy time and mentoring.

Now in a way we're back to the problems of 2012; a desperate need for a key backman. Fisher can't go on much longer, Dempster can't go as well with the big power forwards, Delaney is down on form, Goddard needs time to develop. We could do with another tall full back. Are there any possibilities we could trade for? (wrong thread I know)
Agree. Paddy sounds like he is doing everything right and the competition for spots will set him up for the future so when he does get his next crack at the top level he will be ready.
Heard some criticism on here about the club doing the wrong thing by him by debuting him at short notice when Rooey went down pre-game. Actually thought that, whilst it wasn't the optimal situation, in retrospect it might work out for the better in that it took the hype out his debut. The last thing we wanted was another Jack Watts situation where the hype created backfired badly on the player and club.

Reckon Mitch Brown could be a cheap and easy fix down back. Playing consistently good footy week in week out for Sandy, good/right height, has been in the AFL system and has a little bit of maturity. He would grab another chance with both hands. We would be mad not to have a look at him.

Freebird
Club Player

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Its his life to respond negatively to most posts and then do the old good post very informative funny etc etc. The more he tries to put you down the more foolish he sounds.
Why did he have to feel the need to post what he did?
Very sad person!

Austinnn
Club Player

Irony klaxon!

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Q-TRAIN
Club Player

I watched the live stream of the Sandy V Dogs game. Thing that impressed me most is Paddy seems to have found that bit of confidence and is now 'clunking' some marks.
Great with his hands in heavy traffic as well. Gave off some good sharp handballs.
The point about Brucey's great form giving Paddy a bit more time to find his feet is a good one.
In his AFL games so far i thought Paddy seemed to get in some good positioning at times & was resonably quick to react when the ball hit the deck. But he was just too nervous and was hitting the ball too hard with his hands in marking attempts.
Some of those marks he took last game were just like the TAC cup footage ive seen.
He's still got a fair way to go obviously but that Sandy v Dogs game was bloody exciting . When he took that pack mark in the goalsquare i spilt my beer everywhere :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
Its his life to respond negatively to most posts and then do the old good post very informative funny etc etc. The more he tries to put you down the more foolish he sounds.
Why did he have to feel the need to post what he did?
Very sad person!

Now that post is funny coming from you. It seems to be your mission in life to put me down for what we have since found out is a lie. Do I care what you say? Not at all. I did care about the lie though. One time I wish you would post on footy to see if you have any knowledge of the game but since you don't we can only assume you have none. That's ok though but maybe go on a site that doesn't talk footy. Maybe a leggo site or something similar. Have a good night Freebird. You have made my night.