Come home Brendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Come home Brendon

Bruce G McAbee wrote:One has to wonder how bad things are at Essendon though. I have never seen a worse game from BJ ever and we all know what a competitor he is. I have no beef with him, just feel sorry he has got caught up in all the crap Essendon have bought down on themselves.
I agree. I forgot he was playing and when I finally saw him bob up I was like... s&$t BJ IS playing...

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Brendon who ?
Goddard.
You really should stop drinking out of aluminium cans!

:P

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
santazzi
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:He would be welcomed back with open arms. If all Essendon players get good independent legal advice & stop drinking Hird's Kool Aid. They'll find that their contracts are null & void.

EDIT: We should ream those cheating squibs and go after him. I still haven't forgotten their "Animals" bleating in 1978.
What was the "animals bleating in 1978" all about? Please do expand LL.

#gosaintas
Club Player

A game at Moorabbin which got very willing and Ess came out in the press and labelled us as animals. It was a damn tough and vicious side we had then and great fun to watch.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

During that game yesterday, I mused to myself: "imagine if we had BJ as a playmaker with these kids?" But then I got a dash of commonsense and reality. Brendon Goddard gave our club good service, as did Dal and Jimmy Gwilt, I will always appreciate that, but AFL is a hard game, and if we live in the past, or harbour views such as the OP, then the comp WILL overtake and swallow us up. This squad are not world beaters (yet) but have potential in spades! Why bring back someone who chose to leave for "greener pastures" ? Richo has the blueprint for development and (I suspect) recycled and disgruntled veterans are NOT part of it.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
santazzi
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:A game at Moorabbin which got very willing and Ess came out in the press and labelled us as animals. It was a damn tough and vicious side we had then and great fun to watch.
Thanks #gosaintas. The filthy swines. They have money. But they sure lack class.

felix
Club Player

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Image
Looks like a sudden attack of gastro.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saynta
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:A game at Moorabbin which got very willing and Ess came out in the press and labelled us as animals. It was a damn tough and vicious side we had then and great fun to watch.
From memory, Sarau, big Carl, Gary Sidebottom, Jimmy O'Dea , Robbie Muir and Gary Colling, gave them a hiding. After the criticism we were never the same side again and slipped into one of our worst periods of all times.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

ozrulestrace wrote:He would have to issue the apologies of all apologies to the club and all supporters and that will never happen.

I await the day when his cousin Hugh is judged to be an even better player than Brendan.
Should he also apologise for his stunning, courageous and lion hearted performances in two Grand Finals for our Club?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:He would have to issue the apologies of all apologies to the club and all supporters and that will never happen.

I await the day when his cousin Hugh is judged to be an even better player than Brendan.
Should he also apologise for his stunning, courageous and lion hearted performances in two Grand Finals for our Club?
Make that 3 GFs.

8856brother wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

Make that 3 GFs.
No of course not. It wasn't his fault we lost.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:
Thanks #gosaintas. The filthy swines. They have money. But they sure lack class.
Yep, I was at that game and remember it well. What happened was some of the younger Essendon players tried to exert some physical pressure on some of our senior players - like 18 year olds having a go at 26 year old players; guys like Sidey and Ditterich - well, that sounds like a a good move, doesn't it? There were a few little pushing and shoving things going on in play, but then after rattling the bear's cage, remember we had guys like Ditterich, Sidebottom, Greg Burns, guys like that, some of the Essendon players went off after 'doing themselves a mischief'.
We won and after the siren some of the bomber supporters started chanting 'Animals' at the players' race and at the crowd in front of the members'.
There would have been an ugly Windy Hill Brawl type incident, except for the fact that the famed animal enclosure existed between the two races and after receiving some cans being thrown their way, the mob decided to disperse.
That's basically what I remember about it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
santazzi wrote:
Yep, I was at that game and remember it well. What happened was some of the younger Essendon players tried to exert some physical pressure on some of our senior players - like 18 year olds having a go at 26 year old players; guys like Sidey and Ditterich - well, that sounds like a a good move, doesn't it? There were a few little pushing and shoving things going on in play, but then after rattling the bear's cage, remember we had guys like Ditterich, Sidebottom, Greg Burns, guys like that, some of the Essendon players went off after 'doing themselves a mischief'.
We won and after the siren some of the bomber supporters started chanting 'Animals' at the players' race and at the crowd in front of the members'.
There would have been an ugly Windy Hill Brawl type incident, except for the fact that the famed animal enclosure existed between the two races and after receiving some cans being thrown their way, the mob decided to disperse.
Is that when Sidey was hit by a full can or was that another game?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
santazzi wrote:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

And here I was, thinking that this sort of carry on only occurred at soccer matches! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
santazzi wrote:
Different, I think. That may have been the game against Essendon at Moorabbin in 1980, which we also won and by a similar margin, but which had more than a few barneys on the members wing. Carman got massive weeks during that match for head-butting an umpire, which happened right in front of where I was standing. Yes, Essendon/St. Kilda games certainly had lots of feeling in those days.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have learnt one thing on here. never leave our club. Anyway why the hell would we want BJ back even if he was playing well. makes no sense at all.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Some people suggest that those fighting for ISIS in Syria should be allowed to return home to warn other potential jihadists of the dangers and pitfalls attached to young radicals pursuing such foolish ideals.

Similarly, having spent a few years in war torn Tullamarine, perhaps BJ could return home and find a role in convincing our young stars to never, ever seek to leave the mighty Saints.

Oh the horror stories he could tell :shock:

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Some people suggest that those fighting for ISIS in Syria should be allowed to return home to warn other potential jihadists of the dangers and pitfalls attached to young radicals pursuing such foolish ideals.

Similarly, having spent a few years in war torn Tullamarine, perhaps BJ could return home and find a role in convincing our young stars to never, ever seek to leave the mighty Saints.

Oh the horror stories he could tell :shock:
BJ fought for IDIS:

Is Dons...Is Shite

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

The Kharma bus well & truly lined him up
and now the 2015 Saints are backing it up to make sure
You can feel a little sympathetic that he left the saints in 2013 for $600k+ over 4 years & guaranteed B&Fs
You may even grieve his past memory & forgive his last two years of non-contribution at the Saints
But you dont invite his 32yr old rotting body back into your house - dont you guys watch zombie flicks?

Seeya
Legendary
Club Player

I feel for him - he came within a bee's proverbial of winning us a GF, and will always be a champion Saint and welcome at the club in my view.

I don't want him back because he's not what we need, and we have the right mix of older guys as leaders.

But I understand what he was facing at the end of 2012: a coach (SW) he hated and barely talked to, a full salary cap, the second oldest list in the AFL and a body that probably won't last much past 2016. The playing group was tired and looked like being stuck in that wasteland between 8th and 12th for a few years (as it turned out, we were worse than that).

I don't blame him for thinking that greener pastures were elsewhere: it's just unfortunate he picked the wrong club. Imagine if he had followed RL to the Dockers - probably would have won a flag in 2013.

He's an enormous competitor and would be struggling having to play with a group of blokes who are mentally shot.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Legendary wrote:I feel for him - he came within a bee's proverbial of winning us a GF, and will always be a champion Saint and welcome at the club in my view.

I don't want him back because he's not what we need, and we have the right mix of older guys as leaders.

But I understand what he was facing at the end of 2012: a coach (SW) he hated and barely talked to, a full salary cap, the second oldest list in the AFL and a body that probably won't last much past 2016. The playing group was tired and looked like being stuck in that wasteland between 8th and 12th for a few years (as it turned out, we were worse than that).

I don't blame him for thinking that greener pastures were elsewhere: it's just unfortunate he picked the wrong club. Imagine if he had followed RL to the Dockers - probably would have won a flag in 2013.

He's an enormous competitor and would be struggling having to play with a group of blokes who are mentally shot.
Good post. He's drinking the Tullamarine Koolaid right now but he'll snap out of it.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote:

I never said he should apologise for the games he played for St Kilda especially in those three Grand Finals.

My thoughts is the way he burnt his bridges as he left the club, including a half hearted effort during his final season means I a little less forgiving should the opportunity exist for him to return which is very unlikely.

"Strength Through Loyalty" is our motto and he dropped the "Loyalty" in the final season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

I never said he should apologise for the games he played for St Kilda especially in those three Grand Finals.

My thoughts is the way he burnt his bridges as he left the club, including a half hearted effort during his final season means I a little less forgiving should the opportunity exist for him to return which is very unlikely.

"Strength Through Loyalty" is our motto and he dropped the "Loyalty" in the final season.

Some players treat footy as a job which it is. I think most players would have left in similar circumstances. Unfortunately went to the wrong club. Welcome back anytime IMO but never as a player.