Pathetic opposition

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Pathetic opposition

It was a great win, I agree.

But I think we're all going a bit over the top here. Let's face facts, the Dons were seriously pathetic. Pressure, attack on the footy and work-rate were non-existent. The polar opposite of the week before vs the Dogs.

The main effect of that was that our disposal looked better because we were always in acres of space. We were able to have a spare man at every contest because they weren't running as hard as us, so all the little mistakes and ill-directed handballs still came up trumps. We worked harder and so we got much luckier than them.

My point isn't that we shouldn't enjoy it, just that we shouldn't take too much out of it. We're not much closer to our next finals appearance than we were last week. And we haven't learned a huge amount more about any of the players. This game was only a guide to how good they could be if they got to play Ammos quality opposition every week.

But we're probably only going to win a couple more for the rest of the year, so make the most of it!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pathetic opposition

Agree, can't take too much from that match except joy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I doubt that many will overhype it and expect that we will now have huge wins like that every second week or whatever.

But it will have been great for players, and team, self-belief. They now know what can be done when they do everything right.

The importance of confidence in becomingasuccessful team should not be underetimsted.

Confidence means that you know your team-mates will all be doing what they need to do, whether it be pressuring, spreading, putting their body on the line etc Without it you fall apart. With it the sky is the limit.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The coach hosed it down straight after the win he knew we played a side that simply weren't competing
We are not 110 points better than Ess anyone arguing that is a clown
It's the supporters/media who will over hype it
Need another Hawks game for a reality check ...especially when so many senior players will finish in next few and these guys are really holding their own on field

“Yeah….nah””
Austinnn
Club Player

For the coaching staff, I'd imagine it will be the first quarter and the the first 5 mins of each of the following quarters that they'll look at, the rest is like a cheeky little chocolate bar after your meal.

Great that the players didn't treat it like that though. Smack in all the time, every time.

I loved the vision of the coaching boxes. After half time, Richo could have been watching a Sunday night movie. Totally calm, just checking everything is as it should be. No pressure coming from opposition, so no real opportunity to assess how the players dealt with pressure. Lets hope that the GWS match is a bit more instructive.

As for James Hird, he looked like he was lost... man, so lost, after the first quarter started. He can say his players stopped playing, but he clearly stopped coaching. He gave up. Unless he was texting secretly under the desk. He gave his players no chance.

His captain Jobe Watson, son of Dons hero Tim, had said during that week that he was thinking of retiring, then said he was thinking about relinquishing the captaincy. During the week he was due to celebrate his 200th game! What a party pooper! If you are a young player at Essendon, your captain and coach have given up, every time they turn the ball over, where does the fire come from? Let's hope the runners have a bit of fire in their belly.

I enjoyed watching the game on replay today. It's the first time I've seen Essendon play in years; they've got some freaky looking players. Heppell looks like one of the main characters from Puberty Blues as reimagined by Jim "The Muppet Show" Henson. Bagley looks like he should be in one of those glam metal 80s bands like Poison or Whitesnake or whatever. It must be hard getting respect from an AFL team when you look like a stereotype of a lesbian (no offence to real female lesbians) Gleeson just looks like the human incarnation of a milk chocolate cat, can't believe this guy is an AFL player. He looks destined to be an AFL umpire. Daniher with that shitty 80s mo and hair looks like somebody's dad's prom photo nightmare and McKernan looks like he was raised in a 19-child family in a caravan park. If this is what drugs do to you, I'm going to have to keep a really close eye on my son as he grows up.

"Son, I don't want you touching that rubbish again, or you'll end up getting coached by James Hird"
Last edited by Austinnn on Tue 07 Jul 2015 12:16am, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Darth Vader
Club Player

Reminds me of last year's Freo game. They didn't turn up, made us look better than we are. Still enjoyed it.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Give the players some credit ffs.

Watch the first half. We smashed them and barely gave them a clean possession.

In the stoppages we absolutely destroyed them inside and then lumps like Jab and BJ could not cover the outside speed. Our handball work in particular was lightning.

We flogged them. Hit targets and did the harder, team acts from start to finish. Ten goals up and we have players like Geary going back with the flight and getting smashed. Hard to find a single Essendon player do one all day.

Granted Essendon squibbed it, but we picked them apart like a pro team should.

This game is a prime example of execution of the game plan and a team backing each other.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Of course we are not that much better, still very satisfying dishing it out, especially how they pinched the earlier game….
Important for the players to know that hunger to play the game out is the killer ingredient in winning teams

Austinnn
Club Player

bigred wrote:Give the players some credit ffs.

Watch the first half. We smashed them and barely gave them a clean possession.

In the stoppages we absolutely destroyed them inside and then lumps like Jab and BJ could not cover the outside speed. Our handball work in particular was lightning.

We flogged them. Hit targets and did the harder, team acts from start to finish. Ten goals up and we have players like Geary going back with the flight and getting smashed. Hard to find a single Essendon player do one all day.

Granted Essendon squibbed it, but we picked them apart like a pro team should.

This game is a prime example of execution of the game plan and a team backing each other.

agree. This is not just about them being rubbish. This is about us not allowing them to get up off the floor. There was a point where they just stayed down, but it wasn't like that at the start.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
matrix
Saintsational Legend

I'm with red
We made them look like under 9 girls.

Bit of credit

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bloody WADA.

Had they not appealed, perhaps the Bombers would've been flying now and have beaten us.

But Karma's a real bitch at times, and look what happened.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Pressure was immense ,just as last weeks was. Similar to last week I think we butchered the ball a lot also,not as bad but a lot still,but that Essendon performance was the worst I have ever seen, the second half was shameful

Bring back the Lockett era
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

After living through the 70's and 80's era of our club and constantly getting beltings by this mob and other teams I take great joy in seeing this bunch go down. Essendon supporters are so self gratified about their team. I cant stand their supporters so smug. Good luck Essendon climbing back up the ladder.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

During the game I honestly thought the bomber players were sending a message to their club. Obviously they can't/won't make public statements against their club so this would be the next thing.

I do give credit to our boys but I've never seen a team put so little effort in and people on bigfooty mentioned seeing players laughing in one of their huddles at one of the breaks and others having a joke after the game which is surprising after being embarrassed like that. I wasn't paying attention at the time but damning if true.

felix
Club Player

Carlton stopped playing to get rid of their coach Essondon are doing the same .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Essendon were as bad as I have seen a senior side. That there is no doubt but we did play well early so that it got to the stage where Essendon just lost interest. Of course most supporters wont go over the top, well I would hope not but 110 points can only be a positive. What it is though is the wrong time to talk about coaching extensions. Lets just wait until the year is ober. We have more winnable games and some we may get smashed. Lets at least see if most of the smashing's are over before we extend.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Was chatting to another dad at junior footy on the weekend. I mentioned how I reckoned another thing that will stuff the cheats is that in future drafts any young player earmarked to be picked by them may not want to play for them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Was chatting to another dad at junior footy on the weekend. I mentioned how I reckoned another thing that will stuff the cheats is that in future drafts any young player earmarked to be picked by them may not want to play for them.

They have no choice.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stevie wrote:Was chatting to another dad at junior footy on the weekend. I mentioned how I reckoned another thing that will stuff the cheats is that in future drafts any young player earmarked to be picked by them may not want to play for them.

They have no choice.
I understand that. What I'm suggesting is that young players may choose to sit out for a year or whatever the rules are, rather than be at Essenscum.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

They have no choice.
I understand that. What I'm suggesting is that young players may choose to sit out for a year or whatever the rules are, rather than be at Essenscum.
That also isn't going to happen. Kids aren't going to pass up 80k a year. And I think it would have to be 2 years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Pathetic opposition

Our pressure was enormous and put Essendon on the back foot. We played extremely good footy to first of all get 50 points up then come out after halftime and kick the first few after they challenged (prior to HT they kicked 3 in a row and got back to 36 points down). Ess gave up mid way through the third but even if they didn't we would've beat them by 12 goals IMO.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Essendon were terrible, but if you can't take a bit from your biggest win over a team in 118 years, then when can you?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stevie wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

They have no choice.
That also isn't going to happen. Kids aren't going to pass up 80k a year. And I think it would have to be 2 years.
Agree. And if they are good they seek a trade elsewhere after their 2 year sentence.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

Heard it on one of the various footy shows last night that up until the weekend James Hird, in his 16 years and 253 games as a player and his 4 years and 77 games as a coach, had never been involved in a 100 point defeat.

Well Jimbo, I’m just so glad the mighty Saints were able to help you address this glaring omission in your résumé 8-)

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Sorry to disappoint everyone but I'm loving it.
Watched the replay 3 times now (thanks iq)