Free agency. Do we need it?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I'm not getting carried away by this weeks win , but will we really need to recruit a high priced import.

Free agency hasn't helped Essendon, North or any other team so far, and might just destroy the very fabric that the club is putting together.

We will very likely add 4 or 5 young players this year and the same at the end of 2016 when we will b a real chance for playing finals.

We have an exceptional band of young players and only need about 4 more young champions to add a bit of class down back and in the midfield.

I wouldn't be spending a large amount of our salary cap on a mercenary.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free agency. Do we need it?

Hawks getting Lake has helped them. I like the idea of FA if its used wisely. North seem to have left too much of the effort to the new guys so have gone backwards. If we got someone like Rory Sloan I think there would be some point but even if we could get an Aish or Treloar due to clubs cashing in players before they leave for nothing I would be happy, a bit of a leg up could see us like Collingwood next year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Hawks getting Lake has helped them. I like the idea of FA if its used wisely. North seem to have left too much of the effort to the new guys so have gone backwards. If we got someone like Rory Sloan I think there would be some point but even if we could get an Aish or Treloar due to clubs cashing in players before they leave for nothing I would be happy, a bit of a leg up could see us like Collingwood next year.
I forgot about Lake. :oops:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Realistically free agency is not really that much different to a successfully completed trade

You do it well and it's a winner.

Case in point...
2010- Collingwood assessed it's list and brought in Jolly and Ball. We brought in Lovett (who never played a game) and Peake who didn't get a touch on the day.

Just have to do it right

FQF
SS Life Member

Free agency was not the problem for Essendon or North but rather grossly misjudging the state of their lists. The effects that FA has on a team is no different to trading and Hawthorn have proven beyond doubt that bringing in players on every line is a viable recipe for success.

Not long ago there used to be a lot of talk about whether a team was 'home grown'/created from scratch or just a mash up of players from all over the league. There was quite an inferiority complex about this even as recently as our 2009-2011 era of dominance. These days it simply is not a factor, and no one thinks any less of Hawthorn despite the fact that many of their starting 22 - Lake, Gibson, Gunston, Frawley, Hale, McEvoy (previously, Dew, Guerra) - are not 'Hawthorn from birth'.

These players don't destroy the fabric of a club provided that every player on the list is contributing commensurate to their salary. It's early days, but if Boyd never lives up to his price tag at the Dogs and the club requests that their other stars be underpaid to stay, that might start to eat away at the 'fabric'.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

If they can walk in to any starting 18, yes.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
gringo wrote:Hawks getting Lake has helped them. I like the idea of FA if its used wisely. North seem to have left too much of the effort to the new guys so have gone backwards. If we got someone like Rory Sloan I think there would be some point but even if we could get an Aish or Treloar due to clubs cashing in players before they leave for nothing I would be happy, a bit of a leg up could see us like Collingwood next year.
I forgot about Lake. :oops:
You are forgetting a lot of players...

If we can add an elite mid without losing a pick, then we should & will do it.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I don't think Sydney would have made the GF last year without Buddy.

FA used correctly will be our cake icing.

Bringing in a Luke Parker quality player right when we are about to make a move up the ladder will help enormously.

What North and Ess have done is exactly what not to do. Bring in over the hill players with decent reputations to top up an overrated list.

I mean, Jarred Waite? Really?..

Ess getting Cooney, Gwilt, Giles, Chapman, McKernan etc when there was kids like Sinclair running around is an indictment on their recruiting and coaching staff, overrating their list, and not looking thoroughly enough at those available. I'd happily make just as sh1t decisions as they do for half their wage, saving them heaps of $$'s and getting the same spuds.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Of course you should use FA. As someone else said its really just another form of trading and every club does that. Having said that I still think we are a year to early to worry about it but the recent good form will have players interested. Im unsure Essendon are going to get a good FA the way they are playing at the moment. Again I reckon it says something about the impotence of winning.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Realistically free agency is not really that much different to a successfully completed trade

Case in point...
2010- Collingwood assessed it's list and brought in Jolly and Ball. We brought in Lovett (who never played a game) and Peake who didn't get a touch on the day.

Just have to do it right
Lovett so easily could have been the difference between a flag and what we went through.

FA lets you top up for a sure thing instead of what is realistically a punt with any draft pick.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Again I reckon it says something about the impotence of winning.
Oh, really.

So the real truth comes out Plugger.

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Again I reckon it says something about the impotence of winning.
Oh, really.

So the real truth comes out Plugger.

:mrgreen:

Autocorrect has a little to answer for.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

FA is not just about high priced acquistions. I would not want to lose the "Free" Free Agents that we have gained in Membrey and Roberton anytime soon.

Personally I have long thought that it is a lot more likely that we get FA's like Membrey and Roberton in the re-building phase that genuine stars who if on the move will I believe be more likely to pick a team in the window rather than just on the rise.

Once we are a genuine contender, then we might snag one.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
skeptic wrote:Realistically free agency is not really that much different to a successfully completed trade

Case in point...

Just have to do it right
Lovett so easily could have been the difference between a flag and what we went through.

FA lets you top up for a sure thing instead of what is realistically a punt with any draft pick.
Your not wrong but are missing the point...

Collingwood got the ruck and inside mid they needed

At the end of the day, Lovett never played a game for us and Collingwood won the exchange

Wudda/cudda/shudda doesn't matter. If Peake got 10 kicks on the day that might have been enough too.

All irrelevant though. FA is essentially trading a pick for an experienced player... Shd make that process easier

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Of course you should use FA. As someone else said its really just another form of trading and every club does that. Having said that I still think we are a year to early to worry about it but the recent good form will have players interested. Im unsure Essendon are going to get a good FA the way they are playing at the moment. Again I reckon it says something about the impotence of winning.
Spot on.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Don't mind the idea of a free agent if a) the player/price is right and 2) the timing is right.

You've got to be careful though. Say we spend a squillion on a high profile onballer.

He comes in earning more than Armitage (who is an outside chance of winning the Brownlow this year and is probably our next captain). He's also on a better quid than Bruce (who may win the Coleman).

What sort of a message does it send to them and also the guys busting a gut to earn a spot that said highly paid free agent displaces.

Never say never, but just make sure he fits into our pay scale and is the type of footballer and clubman that we need.

Better to develop your own and look after your own in many circumstances.

I think it is okay to pick one up to fill a special need (ie Lake at Hawthorn), but a mistake to throw the kitchen sink at a marquee player (ie Carlton and Judd).

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Of course you should use FA. As someone else said its really just another form of trading and every club does that. Having said that I still think we are a year to early to worry about it but the recent good form will have players interested. Im unsure Essendon are going to get a good FA the way they are playing at the moment. Again I reckon it says something about the impotence of winning.

Impotence of winning?

Now that made me laugh.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Don't mind the idea of a free agent if a) the player/price is right and 2) the timing is right.

You've got to be careful though. Say we spend a squillion on a high profile onballer.

He comes in earning more than Armitage (who is an outside chance of winning the Brownlow this year and is probably our next captain). He's also on a better quid than Bruce (who may win the Coleman).

What sort of a message does it send to them and also the guys busting a gut to earn a spot that said highly paid free agent displaces.

Never say never, but just make sure he fits into our pay scale and is the type of footballer and clubman that we need.

Better to develop your own and look after your own in many circumstances.

I think it is okay to pick one up to fill a special need (ie Lake at Hawthorn), but a mistake to throw the kitchen sink at a marquee player (ie Carlton and Judd).
That's pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

...but a mistake to throw the kitchen sink at a marquee player (ie Carlton and Judd).
yes.
... i'll throw my one vote on that flag as well.

price , timing AND emotional appropriateness

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Still think we should throw the kitchen sink at Danger..of course he might not come…but at 26 he will be 28/29 when we are competing at the top end and will be invaluable, just as Hayes was….

We are in the go zone now…..
Hawks won a premiership early, why can't we?
2017 is in the go zone for mine, still with Roo there…..

asiu
Saintsational Legend

We are in the go zone now…..

mmm , it does have that feel about it.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it's a mistake to go after a marquee player... it's got to be the right one and you can't overpay too much for them.

IMO the mistake clubs often make is they over pay players to get them through the door. look at Brendan Goddard... wanted more money than Riewoldt, and I believe is on more than Jobe... not half the player that either of them are.
That means that players down the list are getting less than they deserve.

Personally I think the best player/s in the league shouldn't get much more than $550-600k, and your better players should be north of $300k... that's a lot of money. That's how u build a list (though obviously it gets more complicated than that with loading, incentives etc)

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BJ won a B&F and has been excellent value for the money.
A real leader when they have been desperate for one.
Exactly why we need FA IMO.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:BJ won a B&F and has been excellent value for the money.
A real leader when they have been desperate for one.
Exactly why we need FA IMO.
you think he deserves to be the highest paid player at that club? Is he worth more than Roo?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It would be negligent not to explore all trade options. I would sell FA's our brand and future. But no quick cash grabs here. You honour our contract policy and play for a team on the up. No dads army either. 25-26 year olds only.