Disgraceful umpiring - club needs to act

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Disgraceful umpiring - club needs to act

Blaming the umpires is loser talk.

But by god they were terrible today.

Really one sided. Terribly inconsistent. Should not have to sit through that rubbish.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saintlester
Club Player

Sadly it looks as though Adam Schneider has not learnt that he can't umpire the game as well as play. Watching him several times talking back to umpires which it seems only inspires those vermin to look for any possible opportunity to penalise him and it probably colours their view of how to adjudicate the match. Don't call it cheating, just a more favorable reckoning to the team that doesn't have the player back chatting, wonder also if this is still a continuing of what happened in the past.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well Dermott is an employee of the Giants and even he said that they were getting some very soft frees - and he commented on the times when our forwards had their arms chopped in marking contests and the Giants weren't penalised. And he is definitely not St. Kilda biased. Giants were too good today agreed, and our field kicking was poor at times, turning the ball over, etc.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpire pay the clear frees to Bruce and Lonie we are 4 points down and running them ragged. Just blatant cheating and game manipulation.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigred
Saintsational Legend

No excusing that first half. What an insipid display.

These guys get paid to play a game and they cant even hit a target 50% of the time by foot.

Not good enough. Not good enough at all.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint6709
Club Player

I was there... The umpiring was bad --- but our first half was terrible - seemed to have wrong studs in nearly everyone's boots - falling over and fumbling all over the place....... But the umps where bad --- at one point early in the third I think it was 6-14 their favour - about the same time when right in front of me Lonie marked in front of goal and the giant bloke pull one of his arms down - no mark paid - no free paid - that was a momentum changer -- umps went on a little even up spree not long after that but the damage was done

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I know that we supporters are one-eyed and biased, but the consistency of blatant umpiring mistakes is a worry.

With today's "video evidence," you would think that the Club would be calling for an Umpire review nearly every week, but of course, we never hear a word. :roll:

Rooey in particular, is crucified every week with "blocking," "arm pulling" and "pushing out," but he rarely gets a free paid to him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I know that we supporters are one-eyed and biased, but the consistency of blatant umpiring mistakes is a worry.

With today's "video evidence," you would think that the Club would be calling for an Umpire review nearly every week, but of course, we never hear a word. :roll:

Rooey in particular, is crucified every week with "blocking," "arm pulling" and "pushing out," but he rarely gets a free paid to him.

You do realise he has the biggest free differential of any of the tall forwards? Got about the most and gsts the least paid against him.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:I know that we supporters are one-eyed and biased, but the consistency of blatant umpiring mistakes is a worry.

You do realise he has the biggest free differential of any of the tall forwards? Got about the most and gsts the least paid against him.
Given Roo rarely if ever wrestles and plays majority of the game in front you would suggest he should have far more frees for. Apparently there's a free for blocking in a marking contest. I'm still waiting to see Roo or Bruce get one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Given Roo rarely if ever wrestles and plays majority of the game in front you would suggest he should have far more frees for. Apparently there's a free for blocking in a marking contest. I'm still waiting to see Roo or Bruce get one.

Warburton forward. Just unlucky.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Warburton forward. Just unlucky.
Mouths off so gets nothing apparently that's not cheating according to umpires. The league thought different thankfully.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:I was there... The umpiring was bad --- but our first half was terrible - seemed to have wrong studs in nearly everyone's boots - falling over and fumbling all over the place....... But the umps where bad --- at one point early in the third I think it was 6-14 their favour - about the same time when right in front of me Lonie marked in front of goal and the giant bloke pull one of his arms down - no mark paid - no free paid - that was a momentum changer -- umps went on a little even up spree not long after that but the damage was done

Good comments. It wasn't a game for molded soles. Scew-ins which the players don't like would be the way to go.We stayed in Olympic Park overnight and there was a huge thunder storm with the rain absolutely pissing down. I have never seen the saints players slip over as much. And yes the umpiring was disgraceful.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
saint6709 wrote:I was there... The umpiring was bad --- but our first half was terrible - seemed to have wrong studs in nearly everyone's boots - falling over and fumbling all over the place....... But the umps where bad --- at one point early in the third I think it was 6-14 their favour - about the same time when right in front of me Lonie marked in front of goal and the giant bloke pull one of his arms down - no mark paid - no free paid - that was a momentum changer -- umps went on a little even up spree not long after that but the damage was done

Good comments. It wasn't a game for molded soles. Scew-ins which the players don't like would be the way to go.We stayed in Olympic Park overnight and there was a huge thunder storm with the rain absolutely pissing down. I have never seen the saints players slip over as much. And yes the umpiring was disgraceful.

I doubt many if any players in the AFL play in screw ins this day and age. Maybe a few out of 800. Even in local footy where the grounds aren't as good not many play in screw ins.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im not usually one to bag the umps that much (well not as much as curly) but f*** me dead how many chopping of the arms were not paid ffs

that....annoys the hell out of me

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

There was one time in the first or second quarter, ball comes into 50 Roo and his opponent standing shoulder to shoulder when a 3rd GWS player just comes through , without even putting his hands up appearing to try and mark and just pushes Roo off the contest.

I haven't seen Roo look that frustrated in years

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Tell us Plugger because I am fascinated, where do you get your stats?

These are from AFL.com.au

Walker 9 for-14 against
Henderson 6-5
Cloke 16-15
Daniher 19-35!!!
Pavlich 10-13
Dison 15-11
Hawkins 12-12
Cameron 12-16
Hogan 10-4
Petrie 12-10
Schultz 15-13
J. Riewoldt 19-13!!
Nick R 5-3
Tippett 17-21
Buddy 23-25
Kennedy 14-10

So most are reasonably consistent, the obvious thing that jumps out is that Nick does not get the free kicks that the others get, Buddy runs and gets chopped as much and has 5times the number of free kicks.

Yes I can see in his career where he does get free kicks, but so he should, he plays in front and should get the advantage in those contests more often than not. This year he has gone from averaging over 2 free kicks a game to .5, I find that a huge change in the way he is umpired.

So Plugger take us through your theory?
Last edited by terry smith rules on Mon 13 Jul 2015 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Walker 9 for-14 against
Henderson 6-5
Cloke 16-15
Daniher 19-35!!!
Pavlich 10-13
Dison 15-11
Hawkins 12-12
Cameron 12-16
Hogan 10-4
Petrie 12-10
Schultz 15-13
J. Riewoldt 19-13!!
Nick R 5-3
Tippett 17-21
Buddy 23-25
Kennedy 14-10

So most are reasonably consistent, the obvious thing that jumps out is that Nick does not get the free kicks that the others get, Buddy runs and gets chopped as much and has 5times the number of free kicks.

I was talking about his career versus all the main FF who have played a decent amount of games. Wouldn't have a clue about this stats because I don't take a 15 game season to say he is hard done by. I like career stats. I looked this up late last year so I doubt it has changed to much.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Walker 9 for-14 against
Henderson 6-5
Cloke 16-15
Daniher 19-35!!!
Pavlich 10-13
Dison 15-11
Hawkins 12-12
Cameron 12-16
Hogan 10-4
Petrie 12-10
Schultz 15-13
J. Riewoldt 19-13!!
Nick R 5-3
Tippett 17-21
Buddy 23-25
Kennedy 14-10

I was talking about his career versus all the main FF who have played a decent amount of games. Wouldn't have a clue about this stats because I don't take a 15 game season to say he is hard done by. I like career stats. I looked this up late last year so I doubt it has changed to much.
Yes I did edit my post above, his careet stats are great for frees and so they should. However are you telling me that in 5 games this year he has not been worthy of a free kick, I find that ridiculous and wrong

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
Yes I did edit my post above, his careet stats are great for frees and so they should. However are you telling me that in 5 games this year he has not been worthy of a free kick, I find that ridiculous and wrong

No im not telling you or anyone that. All I said is over his career is had many frees. I have no idea why he is getting less this year but it hasn't been a common thing throughout his career.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Tippett 17-21
Buddy 23-25
Wow! Just...wow!
The two Sydney forwards have received 40 free kicks between them!

Roo has 5 and Bruce has 10 for and 13 against.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Buddy 23-25
Wow! Just...wow!

Its like when Plugger went to Sydney when they were really building. He just got so many more frees than when he played with us.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote:
Buddy 23-25
Wow! Just...wow!

My point/question is (and I watch the swans a lot, those frees are there both for and against), are the defenders that much worse against the swans (I doubt it) are Buddy and Tippett that much "fairer" or do they play any differently , obviously no.

Buddy especially plays a very similar game to Roo in that he runs, leads , plays a lot in front and therefore gets chopped and infringed , there the similarity ends as the umpire starts blowing his whistle. Mind you Buddy still misses his share

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

.............................. but what are the Club doing to support Rooey :?: :?: :?:

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Buddy 23-25
Wow! Just...wow!

Its like when Plugger went to Sydney when they were really building. He just got so many more frees than when he played with us.
Given your previous posts on this subject I am assuming that you are being sarcastic.