Positives against the Barry Crockers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Positives against the Barry Crockers

I hope the coaching staff show the Freo forward entries from the first quarter, ad nauseum this week. Our continuous bombing into 50 is so predictable now, other teams are setting up, to run it out, while we're kicking it in. We need to hit up targets. Membrey brings this to the table and he should be getting a game over Paddy at the moment. When we do hit a target, its so wide it's a barely 50/50 chance to convert. Obviously we play the boundry to protect our young side but it doesn't win many games and too easy to play against. Hopefully next year, we play the corridor a bit more.

stkfc1
Club Player

I hope the coaching staff show the Freo forward entries from the first quarter, ad nauseum this week. Our continuous bombing into 50 is so predictable now, other teams are setting up, to run it out, while we're kicking it in. We need to hit up targets. Membrey brings this to the table and he should be getting a game over Paddy at the moment. When we do hit a target, its so wide it's a barely 50/50 chance to convert. Obviously we play the boundry to protect our young side but it doesn't win many games and too easy to play against. Hopefully next year, we play the corridor a bit more.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:I hope the coaching staff show the Freo forward entries from the first quarter, ad nauseum this week. Our continuous bombing into 50 is so predictable now, other teams are setting up, to run it out, while we're kicking it in. We need to hit up targets. Membrey brings this to the table and he should be getting a game over Paddy at the moment. When we do hit a target, its so wide it's a barely 50/50 chance to convert. Obviously we play the boundry to protect our young side but it doesn't win many games and too easy to play against. Hopefully next year, we play the corridor a bit more.
I saw a stat at the weekend that showed we are stone motherless last when it comes to playing the corridor.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:The umpiring was shite, though it wouldn't have affected the result. Some really embarrassing howlers in there
Weren't there, though!
The worst decision was the free kick against Freo for deliberate out of bounds only to be "bettered" by the 50m penalty against Geary the next quarter.
Two absolute shockers!

Doctor Two
Club Player

Agree with alot of the comments here
SinCitySainter wrote:I don't think Goddard is slow in fact a couple of times in the second half I thought he showed really good closing speed to affect a good spoil.
thought the same - closing speed reminded me a little like Dustin Fletcher - all arms. A few times he looked slow but really looked like he was all out of petrol. Will be OK when he gets a few seasons into him and develops a tank
SinCitySainter wrote:Acres is interesting he looks like he moves slowly when he has the ball but that was when he was second guessing himself.
In the last quarter he seemed to trust his instincts more and looked quicker with the ball and subsequently across the ground.
That last quarter I saw a little of the Dal Santos in him in that he seemed to have a little more time than most others to use it.
Acres reminded me of BJ in his early years, used to get caught with the ball alot until he adjusted to the pace of the game. Think he will be a gem

AND a real shout out to the cheer squad - loved the We want new umpires chant in the second quarter after yet another dodgy decision (think Armitage was penalised for throwing by an umpire whom was completely blindsided so guessed).
Not sure if Gilligan will like it though

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Doctor Two wrote:Agree with alot of the comments here
SinCitySainter wrote:I don't think Goddard is slow in fact a couple of times in the second half I thought he showed really good closing speed to affect a good spoil.
thought the same - closing speed reminded me a little like Dustin Fletcher - all arms. A few times he looked slow but really looked like he was all out of petrol. Will be OK when he gets a few seasons into him and develops a tank
SinCitySainter wrote:Acres is interesting he looks like he moves slowly when he has the ball but that was when he was second guessing himself.
In the last quarter he seemed to trust his instincts more and looked quicker with the ball and subsequently across the ground.
That last quarter I saw a little of the Dal Santos in him in that he seemed to have a little more time than most others to use it.
Acres reminded me of BJ in his early years, used to get caught with the ball alot until he adjusted to the pace of the game. Think he will be a gem

AND a real shout out to the cheer squad - loved the We want new umpires chant in the second quarter after yet another dodgy decision (think Armitage was penalised for throwing by an umpire whom was completely blindsided so guessed).
Not sure if Gilligan will like it though

I originally though that Acres was slow, but on closer inspection he isn't. More Dal Santo than BJ though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont care what anyone says - every incentive was pointing towards Freo losing this game. Every single one. Whether you call it a tank or just a subconscious knowledge that they were better off losing, losing this game was better than winning.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Positive is that Freo left a bit in the tank so they can beat WCE next week and help the Hawks into 2nd spot.

Otherwise they killed us. If they played properly it would've been a 100 point loss. Our injuries in the 1st term also killed us.
There is a school of thought that Freo should tank next week.
The theory is if Freo & WCE can go 1-2 then the Hawks are forced to travel to Perth in week 1 to play the WCE.
If Freo are worried enough about the Hawks that they'd throw a game when they need to be finetuning for the flag they have already lost it. I think all they care about is their own home final, not where anyone else plays.
Its not worrying. Its is playing the odds. Pure pragmatism. And we all know how pragmatic RL is. People mocked him when he rested his whole side in Rd 23 versus the Saints in 2013, but he had the last laugh when they beat Geelong (who were above them) at Simonds the following week in a final. He is a very calculated individual. Why give the Hawks a home final and an easier run?

If there is one thing we all know about Ross Lyon it is that he doesn't give a crap about football mythology and common wisdom. He doesnt believe myths about 'form'. He is calculatng. He plays the odds. He is logical.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 16 Aug 2015 9:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I just think they aren't good enough, they will probably have to score 100 points at the MCG if it ends up being hawks or eagles (the 2 highest scoring sides this season) in the grandfinal, they couldn't muster 100 points since round 8 and 6 of those teams arn't going to play finals. That includes us, goldcoast, Carlton and Brisbane. Calculated or not I wouldn't be confident of flicking rusty offensive switch come finals time, they are more dependant on defence than Ross was at St Kilda.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:I just think they aren't good enough, they will probably have to score 100 points at the MCG if it ends up being hawks or eagles (the 2 highest scoring sides this season) in the grandfinal, they couldn't muster 100 points since round 8 and 6 of those teams arn't going to play finals. That includes us, goldcoast, Carlton and Brisbane. Calculated or not I wouldn't be confident of flicking rusty offensive switch come finals time, they are more dependant on defence than Ross was at St Kilda.
RL will not give a crap about 'flicking switches', he doesn't give his players those kind of excuses or cop-outs. He doesnt believe in 'form' and 'feeling good' or 'feeling bad.' Its all about performing on the day. No excuses. Last week means nothing. He will just do what he thinks gives him better odds of winning. If the Hawks have to travel to Perth in week 1 then he has just upped his odds by 20%.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Griggsy wrote:I just think they aren't good enough, they will probably have to score 100 points at the MCG if it ends up being hawks or eagles (the 2 highest scoring sides this season) in the grandfinal, they couldn't muster 100 points since round 8 and 6 of those teams arn't going to play finals. That includes us, goldcoast, Carlton and Brisbane. Calculated or not I wouldn't be confident of flicking rusty offensive switch come finals time, they are more dependant on defence than Ross was at St Kilda.
RL will not give a crap about 'flicking switches', he doesn't give his players those kind of excuses or cop-outs. He doesnt believe in 'form' and 'feeling good' or 'feeling bad.' Its all about performing on the day. No excuses. Last week means nothing. He will just do what he thinks gives him better odds of winning. If the Hawks have to travel to Perth in week 1 then he has just upped his odds by 20%.

I don't care what anyone says but it was better for Freo that Hawthorn finished second. They lost today because they aren't playing well. Havent for at least 10 weeks.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I don't care what anyone says but it was better for Freo that Hawthorn finished second. They lost today because they aren't playing well. Havent for at least 10 weeks.
How is it better for Freo if Hawthorn finish 2nd? And why are you talking in the past tense? The season hasnt finished.
Add to that you arent accounting for the Eagles injury problems. Schofield went down. No Le Cras. No NicNat.

Sportsbet had the game Fremantle 1.60. West Coast 2.40.

Bookies go on form and they picked Freo fairly comfortably. This was an upset and went against Bookies form based odds. The Eagles have come off a 'brave' loss to the Hawks and a draw with the Suns. So once again you are wrong.

Also for a self proclaimed know it all and club insider it seems you learnt nothing from Ross Lyons time with us. We know for a fact he is prepared to lose a game if he thinks it will help his side in the future. The man is calculating and cunning as a fox and does not give two-sh*ts about conventional wisdom. He is after a flag and thats that.

Now sometimes the bookies get it wrong - but you are speaking sh*t saying the game went on form. It didnt.
I am not saying Freo deliberately went out of their way to lose. But lets just say Ross wasnt coaching with his usual intensity. Lets also say he is not in the business of doing the Hawks any favours. If the Hawks are going to win the flag, why roll them out a red carpet and clear a path for them? He will want to make it as hard as he can. Now the Eagles might go and lose another game, but Ross can only control what he can control.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

How is it better for Freo if Hawthorn finish 2nd? And why are you talking in the past tense? The season hasnt finished.
Add to that you arent accounting for the Eagles injury problems. Schofield went down. No Le Cras. No NicNat.

Sportsbet had the game Fremantle 1.60. West Coast 2.40.

Bookies go on form and they picked Freo fairly comfortably. This was an upset and went against Bookies form based odds. The Eagles have come off a 'brave' loss to the Hawks and a draw with the Suns. So once again you are wrong.

Also for a self proclaimed know it all and club insider it seems you learnt nothing from Ross Lyons time with us. We know for a fact he is prepared to lose a game if he thinks it will help his side in the future. The man is calculating and cunning as a fox and does not give two-sh*ts about conventional wisdom. He is after a flag and thats that.

Now sometimes the bookies get it wrong - but you are speaking sh*t saying the game went on form. It didnt.
I am not saying Freo deliberately went out of their way to lose. But lets just say Ross wasnt coaching with his usual intensity. Lets also say he is not in the business of doing the Hawks any favours. If the Hawks are going to win the flag, why roll them out a red carpet and clear a path for them? He will want to make it as hard as he can. Now the Eagles might go and lose another game, but Ross can only control what he can control.

Con you do like making it personal if people disagree with you. And when did I say it didn't go to form today? I said why they lost. That isn't the same. You are really poor at debating things . And lets just say he wsnt coaching with his usual intensity? What about lets say he was. Just words.

Now I will explain why it was better for the Hawks to finish second. One reason. If results go to form and ladder postions then Freo wouldn't play them until the GF. If they finish third and the same thing happens they would play them in the Prelim. I would rather take my chance against a team like the Hawks in a GF. And you like saying im wrong but you are arguing rubbish. Let me guess what you did yesterday. Artificial was it?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I dont care what anyone says - every incentive was pointing towards Freo losing this game. Every single one. Whether you call it a tank or just a subconscious knowledge that they were better off losing, losing this game was better than winning.
Same for Melbourne next week...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I dont care what anyone says - every incentive was pointing towards Freo losing this game. Every single one. Whether you call it a tank or just a subconscious knowledge that they were better off losing, losing this game was better than winning.
Same for Melbourne next week...
One spot up the ladder is not a big deal. They'll want to beat Carlton. Everyone wants to beat Carlton.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.