Players deserving of a chance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players deserving of a chance

1966 wrote:Was impressed with Lee yesterday. Good user of the ball and played more of a Dempster role than a key position which were held by Delany and Brown.
Not big enough to be a key back but could make it taking the oppositions 2nd or 3rd tall.

Given Dempsters age, Lee might be a good replacement for him.

His kicking is very good which is important and gives him an advantage over Geary, Roberton and Gilbert.

Only one way to find out if he can make it as a back and that is to give him a game.
I reckon Roberton kicks the thing okay personally.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Moorabin Ghost seemed to think he'll end up back in WA with a trade if he can't get a game this year.

Why would anyone pay anything for him? Serious question.
I think he would attract a 3rd round pick still. Talls are pretty hard to come by and the form from his VFL season has been good. He was pretty dominant in the WAFL too so some one would have another go at him. Handy mature player for a team like WCE or Freo who could both do with a back up tall defender.

He hasn't played a game this year and hardly played last year. he is a delisted player or a keeper. There isn't any trade potential but if we could get a pick 40 we should take it straight away.

Didn't we get him and Spencer White for Goddard (or was it Dal Santo?0

Seems like an almighty bust

You are garbage - Enough said
mambo2706
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
1966 wrote:Was impressed with Lee yesterday. Good user of the ball and played more of a Dempster role than a key position which were held by Delany and Brown.
Not big enough to be a key back but could make it taking the oppositions 2nd or 3rd tall.

His kicking is very good which is important and gives him an advantage over Geary, Roberton and Gilbert.

Only one way to find out if he can make it as a back and that is to give him a game.
+1
Very good on both feet

mambo2706
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:

+1
Very good on both feet

ace
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
borderbarry wrote:How about Markworth? Among the best for Sandy and two goals. May be time for his debut.

Agree with this - play him
Markworth has been on the list 3 years but spent most of that time in the gym because of a heap of rotten injuries.
He needs a chance to see if he has AFL potential.
It would be sad to see him delisted without really knowing how good he could be.

Testing players is more crucial now than playing the best team.
That includes letting Jason Holmes have a crack even if it means one or both of Longer and Hickey play for Sandy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
borderbarry wrote:How about Markworth? Among the best for Sandy and two goals. May be time for his debut.

Markworth has been on the list 3 years but spent most of that time in the gym because of a heap of rotten injuries.
It would be sad to see him delisted without really knowing how good he could be.

That includes letting Jason Holmes have a crack even if it means one or both of Longer and Hickey play for Sandy.

There is no need to play Homes unless he deserves a game. Also markworth should play but only if his body is ready. The worst thing that could happen is he plays when not ready and plays poorly.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:

There is no need to play Homes unless he deserves a game. Also markworth should play but only if his body is ready. The worst thing that could happen is he plays when not ready and plays poorly.
if Markworth has another good game at Sandy I reckon he'll get his shot

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

1966 wrote: His kicking is very good which is important and gives him an advantage over Geary, Roberton and Gilbert.
Roberton is an excellent kick.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Could drop Fisher or Geary or both. Who cares...Fisher is cooked and Geary can't kick.

Herald sun named Geary our second best player. Myself, I thought he went okay. The derogatory comments by supporters aimed at Geary and Ross are hard to believe.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Unless Lee is winning the VFL's best and fairest from the backline, and regardless of the coach's appraisal of his game, plugger will throw up if Lee is selected or praised... Wrote him off a long time ago

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Unless Lee is winning the VFL's best and fairest from the backline, and regardless of the coach's appraisal of his game, plugger will throw up if Lee is selected or praised... Wrote him off a long time ago

What a strange post. Writing to others to tell them my thinking. The one thing I have leant about you is you are easily upset if logic is used to make you look silly. I do read your posts and comment but I have the courage to challenge you on my own and not gewt others involved like you need. Do you lack confidence.

And by the way I don't pick the side but our coach hasn't found him to be good enough in 18 games. Seems I have his ability pretty right.

saint-stu
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:Markworth has been on the list 3 years but spent most of that time in the gym because of a heap of rotten injuries.

Holmesy definitely deserves a crack. Has been excellent all year for Sandy. I read in a saints article a while back that Longer is our best tap, but I wonder if Holmes might be our best tap ruckman. He dominates many games.

1ac46a38
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:Markworth has been on the list 3 years but spent most of that time in the gym because of a heap of rotten injuries.

Holmesy definitely deserves a crack. Has been excellent all year for Sandy. I read in a saints article a while back that Longer is our best tap, but I wonder if Holmes might be our best tap ruckman. He dominates many games.
Don't Longer and Hickey deserve games before him based on AFL form? And if someone can explain the point of only being a tap ruckman im happy to listen.

saint-stu
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Don't Longer and Hickey deserve games before him based on AFL form? And if someone can explain the point of only being a tap ruckman im happy to listen.
I'm not sure Longer provides much around the ground but he seems to get picked for his tapwork.

1ac46a38
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Could drop Fisher or Geary or both. Who cares...Fisher is cooked and Geary can't kick.

Herald sun named Geary our second best player. Myself, I thought he went okay. The derogatory comments by supporters aimed at Geary and Ross are hard to believe.

Well if they refuse to play Shenton and after getting rid of Jones and Gwilt who are the fans mean to bag when they get frustrated?