Would we have any interest in Harley Bennell?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Would we have any interest in Harley Bennell?

bigred wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Do people who are dead against getting Bennell honestly believe there are no Saints players doing the exact same thing Harley was silly enough to get photographed doing, very frequently and are going through their own substance issues??..

I would 100% take Bennell, seems a likeable young man that needs a bit of guidance and direction. He is a super talent, and really is exactly what we need. Fast, highly talented, outside mid/forward who can hit the scoreboard. Would offer our 2nd pick (20-24) and Wright/Saunders/Eli, but this would not get it done.

Yep.

And yep.
The trade would need to include a top 18 player from us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Do people who are dead against getting Bennell honestly believe there are no Saints players doing the exact same thing Harley was silly enough to get photographed doing, very frequently and are going through their own substance issues??..

I would 100% take Bennell, seems a likeable young man that needs a bit of guidance and direction. He is a super talent, and really is exactly what we need. Fast, highly talented, outside mid/forward who can hit the scoreboard. Would offer our 2nd pick (20-24) and Wright/Saunders/Eli, but this would not get it done.
Bingo.

Our second pick will be at least 24 at this rate (Dangerfield compo in between)

Would probably take our first pick #5-6 plus someone like Gilbert.

The guy has norm smith medal written all over him, that said he would need to show a commitment to making a fresh (clean) start.
I think they are on the verge of an exodus and are ripe for the picking. His coke photos will have dropped his value considerably especially with guys like Treloar and Aish already being shopped around.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:

Yep.

And yep.
+1

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Holy Batman.

I just had a browse through here:

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... ey-BENNELL

The guy is fricking star. Better than I had thought. 22 years old. 79 games. Had 38 possies the other week against the Crows and has had plenty of big games versus the top sides.

Kicked 6 in a game last year v Geelong from the midfield. I mean Cmon. Lets get real here. This guy can seriously play. 79 games at 22 years old also tells me he is resilient and he is actually very consistent. He is no flash Harry. Would completely transform our midfield. Imagine him Jack and Armo working together. Bennell any day of the week over Carlisle, thats for sure.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Holy Batman.

I just had a browse through here:

The guy is fricking star. Better than I had thought. 22 years old. 79 games. Had 38 possies the other week against the Crows and has had plenty of big games versus the top sides.

Kicked 6 in a game last year v Geelong from the midfield. I mean Cmon. Lets get real here. This guy can seriously play. 79 games at 22 years old also tells me he is resilient and he is actually very consistent. He is no flash Harry. Would completely transform our midfield. Imagine him Jack and Armo working together. Bennell any day of the week over Carlisle, thats for sure.

He is a gun. Would love to have his skill at the Saints. He would be our best player IMO and has improvement left as consistency improves.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Holy Batman.

I just had a browse though here:

Kicked 6 in a game last year v Geelong from the midfield. I mean Cmon. Lets get real here. This guy can seriously play. 79 games at 22 years old also tells me he is resilient and he is actually very consistent. He is no flash Harry. Would completely transform our midfield. Imagine him Jack and Armo working together.
Id love him at the club !

Only problem is any miniscule off field problem would be to the detriment of him and the club due to our " culture ". ( its no worse than any other club ! )
But The media love to bash our club any chance they can .
we've kept our heads down this last year and i think the club like it that way , so they would probably pass on him .

In red white and black from 73
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah the guy is a machine.

So much talent.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets put it another way.
The only Saints in the last decade to be ahead of Harley on an age/games basis are B Goddard and Newnes.
So I just cant see how he can be such a bad boy.

SMS
Club Player

Get him. If they take firstvround great get it done. This is a shocking draft. Parish or bennell??

Bennel is proven. Fast skilled moreso than a parish or anyonr from this draftvso LETS OFFER IT ALL. I mentioned dunstan in another thread but nah would rather give em parish.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would love to see Harley Bennell in a Saints jumper. He would greatly improve our midfield.
Of course I would like to get Kelly and Treloar too, but Bennell would be the pick of them.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Highly unlikely it will happen.

You are garbage - Enough said
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Meh, If he pulls his finger out and buys into what it takes to be an AFL footballer.... But wouldn't want to give up too much for him either. I just hope we don't shoot from the hip over the 2015/16 trade period. I still think we should be going hard at the draft table this off season and look at FA and trading at the end of 2016, but if we find some gems for not much this summer... then I suppose it's ok.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't say he is damaged goods or a bad apple or that he needs to pull his finger out or any other cliché's
the guy is a out and out STAR!! at his age he even has more scope to get even better. he got sprung with a dodgy photo (something our club have been know to have happen) he did a silly thing that said I think you will find there are many many others who do these silly things regularly and if anything getting caught has possibly been a wake up call that will see him not be silly like that again (where others who haven't been caught will blissfully continue to do it thinking they are smarter than the system)

I would give up our first pick every day of the week for him but I would be reluctant to let go of a Dunstan or Webster type as well

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Meh, If he pulls his finger out and buys into what it takes to be an AFL footballer....
I don't care if he doesn't. He's averaging almost 25 touches a game, 3.5 clearances, 4 tackles, 5 inside 50s. Are you saying he needs to be even better than that to be worthwhile?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Meh, If he pulls his finger out and buys into what it takes to be an AFL footballer....
I don't care if he doesn't. He's averaging almost 25 touches a game, 3.5 clearances, 4 tackles, 5 inside 50s. Are you saying he needs to be even better than that to be worthwhile?
I think people just get caught in Clichés'.... I reckon he has pulled his finger out and achieved more than the majority of our players ... but he had a scandal so obviously he need to pull the finger out ?!?!?!

next some will come out and say his attitude needs improvement.....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

bigred
Saintsational Legend

His attitude needs improvement.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:His attitude needs improvement.
Nice work .... :D