Sam Gilbert in 2019. Still important?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert in 2019. Still important?

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Gilbert has been injured the last 3 years and as such has no hope of finishing in the top 10 in the B&F for the last 3 years.
Stop making up lame excuses. Gilbert played 21 games in 2012 and DID NOT EVEN make the top 10.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-s ... am-gilbert

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/spo ... d-fairest/

2011 he played 21 games and I dont know where he finished but it wasnt top 3.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 6162101779

Its kind of like saying 'if Markworth wasn't injured for 5 years he would have won a Brownlow by now.' This is nothing but wishful thinking and fantasy stuff.
5 years is 5 years. His results are his results. If we want to go on 2009 performance, then lets get CJ back in the side.

2009 B & F

1. Nick Riewoldt- 642
2. Brendon Goddard- 638
3. Leigh Montagna- 635
4. Nick Dal Santo- 618
5. Lenny Hayes- 603
6. Clint Jones- 587
7. Sam Fisher- 531
8. Sam Gilbert- 521
9. Jason Blake- 487
10. Jason Gram- 463

Lame excuses? He has been injured. Fact and has missed to many games to get in the top 10 in the B&F in the last 3 seasons. If you want to prove a point at least tell people the truth about the games he has missed. If not then you must be struggling if you have to use such a silly guide to his ability in the last 3 years. Before that its fine to use the B&F but please Con don't call injuries lame excuses. And I have no idea what your last point is about 2009 and getting CJ back. It just makes you look like a person trying far to hard to prove Gilbert isn't a star. You don't have to try that much because I think its obvious to most Gilbert isn't a star but is important to us. I don't need to figures to say that is right or wrong. I choose to watch the game to come to that conclusion.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Apparently he had a good game, that's great. We finally worked out that he's a midfielder, fantastic.

As I see it we have two options. Squeeze a few more years out of a reborn midfielder, the same way we turned Aussie Jones into a gun defender and got a few more very serviceable years out of him.

Or we get Dylan Roberton or A.N. Other to play that position and see if we can sell Sam to a team in the premiership window and needing a top up of experience. Dogs? Freo? Tigers?

Personally I'd see if Sam fancies going home and asking Gold Coast if they want him and our 2nd round draft pick for Bennell.

Trades have to be close to realistic. Im afraid that isn't close Austinn.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Loived the Gilbert game last night, he looks to have brought a new dimension to that midfield role.

Yesterday his rugby background was on display, a kind of big bodied inside scrum type, tackling hard and moving the ball forward like a running back. In addition he has the outside pace of a wide reciever.

As a bonus he went forward, took strong contested marks and kicked two long goals to the dismay of many Saints fans at the game.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can someone answer the following three qs?

When was the last time Gilbo got :

a) Coaches vote from Saints coach
b) Coaches vote from an Opposition coach
c) A Brownlow vote

a) Saturday
b) Saturday
c) Saturday?

ST. KILDA V GEELONG CATS
8 – Cameron Guthrie (Geel)
8 – Steven Motlop (Geel)
8 – Jack Steven (StK)
4 – Sam Gilbert (StK)
1 – Steve Johnson (Geel)
1 – Sebastian Ross (StK)

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Yes

Saint supporter since '62
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand why ppl are arguing with Con.

He's 100% spot on.

The facts are Gilbert for a variety of reasons HAS NOT played consistent good football for a long long time.

You can't argue against that and ur kidding yourself if you try.

The arguments that he is vital to our team, that he is an elite or very good player etc etc. they don't hold up when the player hasn't played consistently good football for nearly 5 years.

Ray has been more important to us. Dunstan has been more important. Delaney, Geary, Savage, Hickey, Billings... Without doing the math pbly half our list have been more important to us than Sam.

Now the reality is that Sam had an excellent game on Saturday... We don't need players that have 1 or 2 good games a year.

The time for excuses is over... He's fit, he's got match practice... The time for Sam is now.

We all know he's got the talent. Whether or not he's a good player is simply determined by one thing. Does he play good games?

Time to produce

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

skeptic by name, skeptic by nature I guess.

Has been getting better as the season goes on. And I go and watch the games to form my own opinion.

Saint supporter since '62
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I feel like you're being defensive here TFTB -

And it's unnecessary. My personal criticism of Sam has been that he hasn't played to his potential. We know that he has the talent.

It's no mystery why just about everyone on this forum, including Con and myself rate him.

As a senior player though, we're not paying him more to be a developing player. We know his ceiling. We know what he should be producing. He's not like a Tim Membrey who we hope can make it a medium forward... Expectations of Gilbert are set. And he hasn't produced... He looks like he's turning the corner and i hope he makes it.

Look at it this way.

Senior players: Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Armitage, Fisher, Ray, Steven, Gilbert, Schneider - the first 3 have been largely consistent and are not heavily criticised. Armo has stepped up right up this year. Schneider has bounced back, Ray has been solid but is winding down, Fisher too. Steven is also generally good. Gilbert on the other hand...

SMS
Club Player

I dont care where gilberts been.
He was a RUGBY junior. Takes time to master any sport prehaps now after number of games he is!
He is 194cm (taller than roo) runs hard goes hard at contest and did ou not like his spread and 2 goals on sat night?

Imo he can be that hard running half back we need and do it for us in the 2019 grand final.

Go saints.

You dont throw away 194cm blokes who can run and compete that hard!!!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:You dont throw away 194cm blokes who can run and compete that hard!!!
Agreed! But a pick under 30 would be win-win. Port's second pick should be about 28, I think that would be a fair price and he'd be really good in their game style.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I feel like you're being defensive here TFTB -

And it's unnecessary. My personal criticism of Sam has been that he hasn't played to his potential. We know that he has the talent.

It's no mystery why just about everyone on this forum, including Con and myself rate him.

As a senior player though, we're not paying him more to be a developing player. We know his ceiling. We know what he should be producing. He's not like a Tim Membrey who we hope can make it a medium forward... Expectations of Gilbert are set. And he hasn't produced... He looks like he's turning the corner and i hope he makes it.

Look at it this way.

Senior players: Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Armitage, Fisher, Ray, Steven, Gilbert, Schneider - the first 3 have been largely consistent and are not heavily criticised. Armo has stepped up right up this year. Schneider has bounced back, Ray has been solid but is winding down, Fisher too. Steven is also generally good. Gilbert on the other hand...

He has been injured for 3 years. Its very hard to play to your full potential when you are injured all the time. I still say if he gets fully fit he is important to us and using B&F in the last few years doesn't change that because everyone knows when you miss a lot of games you have no hope in the B&F.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Agreed! But a pick under 30 would be win-win. Port's second pick should be about 28, I think that would be a fair price and he'd be really good in their game style.
Pick 28 in this years draft will be an absolute lottery, the draft is very thin after the first round, Gilbo is a star, he gives us a dimension that not many on our list can provide, he tackles with absolute ferocity, he is a big bodied mid/half back that provides grunt on the inside but he is also very quick has a huge tank and provides outside spread that we sorely lack. He is easily in our best 10-15 players and must be kept

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Pick 28 in this years draft will be an absolute lottery, the draft is very thin after the first round, Gilbo is a star, he gives us a dimension that not many on our list can provide, he tackles with absolute ferocity, he is a big bodied mid/half back that provides grunt on the inside but he is also very quick has a huge tank and provides outside spread that we sorely lack. He is easily in our best 10-15 players and must be kept
Agree with all that. But there's about a 5% chance he'll still be doing all that in 2019, while there's about a 20% chance that pick 28 will be good enough to be still around then. Thinking about the future, the draft pick is obviously better.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can we stop this nonsense that because you are tall and blonde you are automatically a gun player?

Gilbert is factually one of the worst kicks in the AFL:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/t ... -for-kicks

Today he has 10 disposals at 40% DE.

I mean FFS people. 40%. Get real. He goes ok v poor opposition, he hasnt played v the Hawks in 5 years. Against top 4 sides he is abysmal. The idea of him as elite AFL player (top 100) is laughable. Hes not in the top 300 players in the AFL.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can we stop this nonsense that because you are tall and blonde you are automatically a gun player?

Gilbert is factually one of the worst kicks in the AFL:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/t ... -for-kicks

Today he has 10 disposals at 40% DE.

I mean FFS people. 40%. Get real. He goes ok v poor opposition, he hasnt played v the Hawks in 5 years. Against top 4 sides he is abysmal. The idea of him as elite AFL player (top 100) is laughable. Hes not in the top 300 players in the AFL.
He gets found out when tackled. He has no right side and gets cornered and tackled. Would be a fantastic VFL player but cannot play AFL level. Got 2 goals against Cats but they didn't take him seriously.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee