Looking forward to next year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

seano1
Club Player

Looking forward to next year

Now i was one who didn`t think we would win many games at all this year as i thought lots of new kids learning the ways of the big league and have been blown away by what we have done . Yes some guys wont make it to next year due to various reasons but the young ones who will be some of which will be getting their second pre season into them ,watch out these kids are just going to be a hell of a lot better. As for trade - recruiting we may need some bigger bodies to help our speedier outside runners.
We have to look at the eagles/crows these teams have been rebuilding for a few years and are now have bigger bodies and hold their tackles and are generally harder to push around .

So yes i`m excited about the next couple of years to see this team develop to having a shot at a flag in about 3 years..hopefully earlier but i think 3

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Looking forward to next year

Dunno about you, but I fully expected some improvement over last season which was terrible, and expected at least the six wins we have had so far. Even taking into account it is near the end of our season, yesterday's performance was uncompetitive rubbish and I do hope the head of football is kicking Richo's backside this week over fielding a team who again can barely kick a football in the right direction, let alone to their teammates, with no obvious defensive game. Our midfield is B-grade and is a major concern. I'm looking forward seeing what our recruiters do at least to at least improve the playing side of things.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Yesterday aside, I've been really impressed with 2015. We've mostly been competitive, and have played some really good footy thru the year.

Of course, there is plenty of room for improvement, but i think we've developed a good footy philosophy that will hold us in good stead.

Our mentality is strong, now we just need the skill level to catch up. We have a few more years of pain first.

As far as bigger bodies go, I think we have the personnel already (Dunstan, Ross, Weller, Armo, Curren, Murdoch), these are the guys who can be the bullocking inside mids we need, and we have more need for the outside runners, one's who can deliver to our forwards better.

Megsie
Club Player

Well said St chris. Fully agree with you. Well done StKilda fc.

Megsie
Club Player

Well said St chris. Fully agree with you. Well done StKilda fc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Dunno about you, but I fully expected some improvement over last season which was terrible, and expected at least the six wins we have had so far. Even taking into account it is near the end of our season, yesterday's performance was uncompetitive rubbish and I do hope the head of football is kicking Richo's backside this week over fielding a team who again can barely kick a football in the right direction, let alone to their teammates, with no obvious defensive game. Our midfield is B-grade and is a major concern. I'm looking forward seeing what our recruiters do at least to at least improve the playing side of things.

How come every single time we lose its Richos fault but when we win it isn't. I going to go by unbiased media rather than you and every single person I have heard has says Richo has done a great job this season. You were a SW fan so how do you explain a 5 win season in his last year with that list and a 6 and half win season this year with a hugely inferior list but its always Richos fault when we lose? At least you aren't reactive to big losses.

mambo2706
Club Player

Yep - well said St Chris.

Although I hated the floggings in 2014 I did enjoy watching the younger guys come through. This year has been even better. More new kids, more games into the 2nd and 3rd year players and as a team we've been a lot more competitive. Sure we've had some hiccups along the way but we've played some exciting footy. I think we could have won at least 10 games this year if we could have been consistent for four quarters. With a young team we have to expect some players will go missing for periods of the game. If we can add a few young guns to our list then there is no reason when can't continue our rapid improvement. I think Richo has a great game plan and is definitely the man to lead us forward. I'm looking forward to only only next year but to the next few years. There are going to be some exciting time ahead.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I think next year we're likely to tread water a bit. We may improve slightly but it will be another year of blooding a few new draftees and getting games into the newbies who debuted this year. They'll be exciting times and unfortunately maybe games like yesterday. But I believe by the end of 2016 we will feel even more confidant that we will be able to take that next step to the top eight. Unfortunately it just takes time and games to get that balance needed to be competitive and consistent.
I'm sure this year we've tried different game plans at different times. It's all about experimentation and suiting the game plan to the opposition. We seem to handle the free flowing games by opposition teams such as Footscray, Essendon, Geelong etc but we fall apart with the lockdown style of Freo and Swans.
Don't read much into yesterday's game, they looked pretty cooked to me, and as a few have said it was a very uncharacteristic display based on this years form.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:I think next year we're likely to tread water a bit. We may improve slightly but it will be another year of blooding a few new draftees and getting games into the newbies who debuted this year. They'll be exciting times and unfortunately maybe games like yesterday. But I believe by the end of 2016 we will feel even more confidant that we will be able to take that next step to the top eight. Unfortunately it just takes time and games to get that balance needed to be competitive and consistent.
I'm sure this year we've tried different game plans at different times. It's all about experimentation and suiting the game plan to the opposition. We seem to handle the free flowing games by opposition teams such as Footscray, Essendon, Geelong etc but we fall apart with the lockdown style of Freo and Swans.
Don't read much into yesterday's game, they looked pretty cooked to me, and as a few have said it was a very uncharacteristic display based on this years form.
I hope you're right Tony, but in 2017 we are most likely going to be without Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher & Dempster… so to improve we not only need to replace their quality but also add a whole lot more quality too… I guess this is where free agency can change things quickly and we'll have a huge amount of cap space.

I thought we'd win about 3 games this year, so am pretty pleased with our season and competitiveness in most games.