F@#king Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: F@#king Umpires

kosifantutti wrote:People who count free kicks are being very naive.

Umpires do so much more than pay free kicks.

There was that mark that Le Cras almost took for the first goal.
There was that 50m penalty to Lonie that was actually 25m.
There was Kennedy being allowed to kick for goal from whatever angle he wanted.

None of these had anything to do with the free kick count.
The 25 metre 50 metre penalty was highlighted by the commentators.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Fluttz
Club Player

I'm still trying to comprehend the Dunstan free kick against I think in the third where he went in hard, won the footy, proceeded to have his head ripped off and was pinged for holding the ball. That decision left me speechless. The umpiring did seem extremely one sided (towards West Coast). We were very ordinary last night but the decisions that we got in regards to free kicks, or didn't get has left me thinking there must be something going on behind the scenes.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, clearly a very poor job (again) by the umpires last night. It was interesting that the TV commentators rarely offered a comment, which seems to me that they are intimated by the AFL not to comment. I wonder what the Club is saying to the AFL about this situation - or are they just lying dead too ?

23 - 6, including some very clear umpire clangers, says that questions should be asked.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:People who count free kicks are being very naive.

Umpires do so much more than pay free kicks.

There was that mark that Le Cras almost took for the first goal.
There was that 50m penalty to Lonie that was actually 25m.
There was Kennedy being allowed to kick for goal from whatever angle he wanted.

None of these had anything to do with the free kick count.
The 25 metre 50 metre penalty was highlighted by the commentators.

Yet in some instances our boys had to kick 30 metres for a 15 metre kick.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Clarification needs to be sort on what clubs like West Coast are doing so, so right, and what we are doing so irrevocably wrong. It needs to be transparent too, because I fear a supporter backlash if this continues.
It has nothing to do with what they're doing right and what we're doing wrong...for instance their second goal (holding the ball) last night would have been too high if the role was reversed.

Its who you are FFS and St Kilda is not liked by most supporters so why would the umps like them.

If Rance played for us he would be an ordinary footballer..all the holding etc he gets away with to make him so good would not be allowed at St Kilda.

I turn the TV off because I can't stand how we're treated. I buy a membership for st kilda but am going to fewer games mostly because we're treated so badly.
Right back at ya about Rance

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think I read for the most part umpiring in WA is done by umpires who live in WA - or the majority of matches officiated are umpired by the same WA based umps. Surely all full time umpires should be rotated as part of the umpiring roster to umpire an even number of matches across all grounds all over the country? It's not even a question surely! That's not a question either.

Secondly based on last night's umpiring scandal the AFL should introduce auditing of matches when requested by AFL clubs to review and report back on the consistency and standard of the decisions across the entire game and the overall fairness of the umpiring and if there is any evidence of bias toward the home team. And if an audit produces recommendations umpires need to show evidence of how each item has been addressed. Conflict of interest declarations signed ahead of each match officiated (I'm sure this happens anyway).

Umpires should not be allowed to check umpiring stats during a game. There is no reason for an umpire to need to know this.

Maybe someone can advise who is governing umpire performance?

It's a full time gig. There is a lot money involved. Should be held accountable. And I'm not talking about Noddy coming out on a footy show on a Monday or Tuesday night with a raft of smelly excuses wrapped in a good bloke voice.

Audits should be carried out by an unconflicted team and results published with an aim to raise umpiring standards and reduce bias and/or unacceptable error whether due to home games, ladder position, umpiring quality, misguided instruction from umpire headquarters, publicly made comments leading up to a match, a rich club versus a wealthy club etc...

The incessant booing at Subiaco is a disgrace to watch/listen to. It's got worse over the years, and it does indeed make for an unwatchable spectacle on TV. I had to turn it off.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Freebird
Club Player

Bias among commentators and umpires is condoned.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:I think I read for the most part umpiring in WA is done by umpires who live in WA - or the majority of matches officiated are umpired by the same WA based umps. Surely all full time umpires should be rotated as part of the umpiring roster to umpire an even number of matches across all grounds all over the country? It's not even a question surely! That's not a question either.

Secondly based on last night's umpiring scandal the AFL should introduce auditing of matches when requested by AFL clubs to review and report back on the consistency and standard of the decisions across the entire game and the overall fairness of the umpiring and if there is any evidence of bias toward the home team. And if an audit produces recommendations umpires need to show evidence of how each item has been addressed. Conflict of interest declarations signed ahead of each match officiated (I'm sure this happens anyway).

Umpires should not be allowed to check umpiring stats during a game. There is no reason for an umpire to need to know this.

Maybe someone can advise who is governing umpire performance?

It's a full time gig. There is a lot money involved. Should be held accountable. And I'm not talking about Noddy coming out on a footy show on a Monday or Tuesday night with a raft of smelly excuses wrapped in a good bloke voice.

Audits should be carried out by an unconflicted team and results published with an aim to raise umpiring standards and reduce bias and/or unacceptable error whether due to home games, ladder position, umpiring quality, misguided instruction from umpire headquarters, publicly made comments leading up to a match, a rich club versus a wealthy club etc...

The incessant booing at Subiaco is a disgrace to watch/listen to. It's got worse over the years, and it does indeed make for an unwatchable spectacle on TV. I had to turn it off.
So based on that you obviously think Vic umpires shouldn't umpire our side against an interstate side? And how do you know they aren't accountable. I would suggest they are.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:And how do you know they aren't accountable. I would suggest they are.
All evidence to the contrary.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:And how do you know they aren't accountable. I would suggest they are.
All evidence to the contrary.

What evidence?

Kate
Club Player

If those three umpires bob up during the finals then the AFL isn't fair dinkum. As it stands, none of them should be considered for next year's panel of umpires.

Farcical.

Saintlester
Club Player

You are just being contrary now Plugger. What CURLY is saying is not that it cost us the game, but that the umpiring last night showed clear bias, which it did Watch the last quarter when Roo is going for a mark and a Freegles player comes from behind and is all over his head, neck and shoulders. I have read since, that Roo was penalised because he put his arms out earlier to protect himself in the contest. 50/50? Maybe. But it seems highly strange that EVERY 50/50 decision goes the Freegles way, and it doesn't matter whether it is in Perth, Etihad or anywhere else.
I believe that the club has a responsibility on behalf of the players, members and supporters to engage the umpiring fraternity and having that conversation, with the outcome being that the Umpiring Association are to explain what we are doing which is so very, very wrong, but also what the Freegles are doing which is so, so right. I would like this discussion to be made transparent so we can all find out why our coaches are so poor at teaching our players the simple rules of the game, and so that this may be rectified in the pre-season.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 06 Sep 2015 9:56am, edited 2 times in total.
samuraisaint
SS Hall of Fame

This is the way to approach it. Go to the media and say, clearly our coaching is completely inept we must do better as per the Eagles, just look at the free kick count. That way you bring it to attention without touching the sacred cow.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kate wrote:If those three umpires bob up during the finals then the AFL isn't fair dinkum. As it stands, none of them should be considered for next year's panel of umpires.

Farcical.
I agree with you one hundred percent.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:The umpires get intimidated by the WCE crowd they are a mob of booooooing f...wits, worse in the comp!
Will be interesting to see how they go for the final with Hawthorn playing there.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Two 90 odd points thrashings in a row- I would be pointing the finger elsewhere

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Two 90 odd points thrashings in a row- I would be pointing the finger elsewhere
Well I for one am not blaming the umpires for the loss - but god it makes the game impossible to watch when blatant frees are missed and stupid ones paid - you end up WTF'ing all game.

It is NOT the umpires fault that we lost - but even in the games that we win - I am still baffled.

I lost it over the Dunstan free and the Riewoldt free - just could not understand the logic, and then to be told that the umpiring fraternity actually gave the umpires the thumbs up - that's when I totally lost it.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:The umpires get intimidated by the WCE crowd they are a mob of booooooing f...wits, worse in the comp!
Will be interesting to see how they go for the final with Hawthorn playing there.
Well hopefully the Hawks win.

It would be a double win - gives MCC and AFL members a prelim to go to the G and makes a likely Freo/WCE prelim which would be feral & fun to watch!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

It would be a double win - gives MCC and AFL members a prelim to go to the G and makes a likely Freo/WCE prelim which would be feral & fun to watch!

Lets hope the Hawks lose. They have won enough. Freo, WCE GF would be amazing.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Lets hope the Hawks lose. They have won enough. Freo, WCE GF would be amazing.
Yes that would be a good granny also. But if your team WCE on Friday win, let's hope they aren't helped across the line due to umpire bias.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:Bias among commentators and umpires is condoned.

An ex producer rang in SEN after the Sydney trade limiting stuff came out. He said he lost his job along with GT because the AFL told them they wouldn't receive the broadcast right otherwise. He said he was forced to stand down because of it. He said they operate like the mafia.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

An ex producer rang in SEN after the Sydney trade limiting stuff came out. He said he lost his job along with GT because the AFL told them they wouldn't receive the broadcast right otherwise. He said he was forced to stand down because of it. He said they operate like the mafia.

Funny that Patrick Smith seem to knock the AFL Everytime he is on. KB isn't to far away either and if you listen you will know that's true.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Funny that Patrick Smith seem to knock the AFL Everytime he is on. KB isn't to far away either and if you listen you will know that's true.

KB always talks up being into closing up the rules to make the game more boring for old men but hardly a critic of the administration. Patrick Smith whines but hardly anything hard hitting he more complains about guys like Hird or club admin not the competitions integrity.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:
I lost it over the Dunstan free and the Riewoldt free - just could not understand the logic, and then to be told that the umpiring fraternity actually gave the umpires the thumbs up - that's when I totally lost it.
And the Gilbert tunnel

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

KB always talks up being into closing up the rules to make the game more boring for old men but hardly a critic of the administration. Patrick Smith whines but hardly anything hard hitting he more complains about guys like Hird or club admin not the competitions integrity.

Well you must listen to another station with people who have the same name because those 2 have for the last year or so had a go at the AFL on many situations. I suppose you couldn't agree though. Would make you first comment seem strange. And I heard that guy ring up. He certainly said something different on my radio.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Well you must listen to another station with people who have the same name because those 2 have for the last year or so had a go at the AFL on many situations. I suppose you couldn't agree though. Would make you first comment seem strange. And I heard that guy ring up. He certainly said something different on my radio.
I don't know what Patrick Smith is even on about he contradicts himself. KB is always rattling on about amending rules but hardly tough on the administration. When have they said the integrity of the comp and umpiring is bad? They criticise Paul Little and stuff but never the fundamental issues.