Trevor Barker Medal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trevor Barker Medal

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:In one way the top 5 is all a bit sad. Pretty much expected if you watched the games without looking for mistakes as the first thing you look at.
Sad but expected?

How so?

Sad because the top 5 are already aging. Even the top 10 only has about 3 players under 25.

2 years ago Armo was a trade option. Before Watters Jack wasn't best 22. Dempster is a stalwart and there was a smattering of kids in there. Newnes a bit disappointing but he isn't flash, just consistent.

I reckon Billings was probably our most likely but didn't get on the park. Newnes started very slowly so was a bit disappointing. I'm not too concerned we didn't have a single stand out kid, we seem to be getting a very solid group coming on.

Thanks for the history lesson but it still doesn't explain the lack of younger guys. Also remember back then we were a great side so there was expected to be less younger players and also the list was older. That isn't an excuse now. The first 3 were always going to finish like that but where is the surprise younger player. Havent seen the results of other younger sides B&F was I'm guessing that most have a 23 year old or younger in the top 5. I could also be wrong on tat as I am quite often.

I agree its solid. Unfortunately solid wont replace. Joey, Dempster, Rooy Etc. We need great players to replace them but then also improve. Billings will get there. Goddard and McCarton will hopefully get there. The rest do look only solid at best apart from maybe Webster.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:In one way the top 5 is all a bit sad. Pretty much expected if you watched the games without looking for mistakes as the first thing you look at.
Sad but expected?

How so?

Sad because the top 5 are already aging. Even the top 10 only has about 3 players under 25.

2 years ago Armo was a trade option. Before Watters Jack wasn't best 22. Dempster is a stalwart and there was a smattering of kids in there. Newnes a bit disappointing but he isn't flash, just consistent.

I reckon Billings was probably our most likely but didn't get on the park. Newnes started very slowly so was a bit disappointing. I'm not too concerned we didn't have a single stand out kid, we seem to be getting a very solid group coming on.

Thanks for the history lesson but it still doesn't explain the lack of younger guys. Also remember back then we were a great side so there was expected to be less younger players and also the list was older. That isn't an excuse now. The first 3 were always going to finish like that but where is the surprise younger player. Havent seen the results of other younger sides B&F was I'm guessing that most have a 23 year old or younger in the top 5. I could also be wrong on tat as I am quite often.

I agree its solid. Unfortunately solid wont replace. Joey, Dempster, Rooy Etc. We need great players to replace them but then also improve. Billings will get there. Goddard and McCarton will hopefully get there. The rest do look only solid at best apart from maybe Webster.
Basically no one has shot out of the blocks. I reckon Goddard showed enough to suggest he's a bolter. Sinclair and Lonie were excellent for first years, Mc cartin did enough to suggest he's not a bust at least. Newnes was super consistent after a slow start, Ross is progressing as is Webster. The improvement this year came from guys like Savage, Bruce, Roberton etc who are still pretty young backing up a fairly good core of older guys. The new kids actually took over the spots of a lot of the guys like Wright, Curren and Saunders. There aren't too many weak links now at least. We always seemed to have a hand full of stars then a gulf between the next lot. We are building depth now.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We got none named in the under 22 side. Bit of a worry actually.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:We got none named in the under 22 side. Bit of a worry actually.
Weller, Bruce, Savage and Roberton all only just miss out on age but all have had very good seasons. I'm not too concerned. If none of Lonie, Sinclair, Goddard, Mc cartin, Acres, Billings, Mc Kenzie etc make it over the next couple of years I will panic though. They were up against some absolute guns.

Vazelos
Club Player

Jack Steven is a gun!!
Love the boy

elizabethr
Club Player

Armo was robbed..
Dubious voting round 7-11 in particular! !!

nothing to say
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Armo was robbed..
Dubious voting round 7-11 in particular! !!

Maybe they got it right and you got it wrong. It seemed to me and a few others on here that Steven would win. Anyway second is clearly his best result. Hopefully he improves further but considering Jack had the taggers in most games he had a great year. Probably much better than 2013 with much less help. Of course people look for faults in all our players even Armo and Jack instead of looking at both their positives which out way their negatives by a big margin.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

My boy won it.