Send your message of condolence to Ross Lyin.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: Send your message of condolence to Ross Lyin.

Am I missing something here

Most of the comments here say that Ross can't coach

So would you still want him at St Kilda, yes ... then you are hypocrite, no.. then you should just be happy he's gone

seems like a waste of energy either way

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think Ross needs to go onto Dancing with the Stars to learn how to dance

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Am I missing something here

Most of the comments here say tthereoss can't coach

So would you stillwinning I'llat St Kilda, yes ... then you are hypocrite, no.. then you should just be happy he's gone

The point is that he shafted the Saints. Very good coach but very obsessed. He may get there but you can see he is consumed by winning a grand final at the expense of building the right team. I think Freo are on the way down.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:Ross' toin coss- Essendon or Adelaide?

Don't care because last night the Karma bus did its job.
Maybe Richmond or North Melbourne next year.

#$$$$$$

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Am I missing something here

Most of the comments here say tthereoss can't coach

So would you stillwinning I'llat St Kilda, yes ... then you are hypocrite, no.. then you should just be happy he's gone

The point is that he shafted the Saints. Very good coach but very obsessed. He may get there but you can see he is consumed by winning a grand final at the expense of building the right team. I think Freo are on the way down.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

There is absolutely sweet FA to be gained in gloating about the demise of our former coach at Fremantle. It should be remembered how close our club came to glory under his stewardship. Having said all that, "Bon Appetit" Ross! enjoy your humble pie mate!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
elizabethr
Club Player

Lyon is NOT a good coach!

nothing to say
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Well summed up Loris. Just one small nitpick. The term a "befuddled Kevin Sheedy", is a tautology.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

elizabethr wrote:Lyon is NOT a good coach!

Disagree - is a good coach, however not a great coach.

You are garbage - Enough said
elizabethr
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

He is too reactionary plus a very poor manager of modern men.

nothing to say
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:You are talking about the second most successful coach in our Club's history. You are forgetting the bumbling, overpaid Michael Nettlefold's role in his departure.
So true. Thank you Michael Nettlefold for being so incompetent. At least now we have a coach who looks to the future and isn't so focussed on he present
Indeed it looks like we've got a beauty of a Coach now. After 2 lost years of Watters. I have no malice towards Lyon and am grateful for his time as our coach.

His game plan may be judged to fall short. Or has it been a firepower issue. Remember, Aaron Hamill should have still been playing in 2009 & 2010, alas his career curtailed by injury. We would have been far too good for anyone, particularly in 2009.

spert
Saintsational Legend

No point bagging Lyon- he had one trick and when it worked it worked well, but all too predictable. I'll reserve my judgement on our current coach who talks the talk, but he needs to deliver the goods in the form of playing finals. I do feel sorry for Watters who never got the support that a senior coach should have had at the time that everyone was pointing fingers and making excuses after the failed GFs and the loss of Lyon, and Clarkson was in a similar situation when he arrived at Hawthorn- some players and officials were sooking to the board, some guys didn't want to work with him, but being a strongly led club, they stuck by his peculiar ways and now have great success. Let's look forward.

loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Well summed up Loris. Just one small nitpick. The term a "befuddled Kevin Sheedy", is a tautology.
Touche............... spot on WW :lol:

ripplug66
Club Player

spert wrote:No point bagging Lyon- he had one trick and when it worked it worked well, but all too predictable. I'll reserve my judgement on our current coach who talks the talk, but he needs to deliver the goods in the form of playing finals. I do feel sorry for Watters who never got the support that a senior coach should have had at the time that everyone was pointing fingers and making excuses after the failed GFs and the loss of Lyon, and Clarkson was in a similar situation when he arrived at Hawthorn- some players and officials were sooking to the board, some guys didn't want to work with him, but being a strongly led club, they stuck by his peculiar ways and now have great success. Let's look forward.

How come you refuse to take notice of people who where at the club when deciding anything about SW. They say he was off tap and the things that have come out suggest that. And lets be honest the list he had in 2013 should have won many more games than 5 if this years list culd win 6 and half. The guy couldn't coach and to make matters worse was off his head on a power trip. Richo doesn't seem like that at all and hopefully the SW failure means we have got a very good coach.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

One big difference between Richo and Watters is very skilful way Richo brought the senior players on board - has always spoken with great respect of the success (or near success!) we had before he got here. Watters talked as if they all the players - including the champs - were at ground zero and he was going to have to drag them all up to the required standard.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
spert wrote:No point bagging Lyon- he had one trick and when it worked it worked well, but all too predictable. I'll reserve my judgement on our current coach who talks the talk, but he needs to deliver the goods in the form of playing finals. I do feel sorry for Watters who never got the support that a senior coach should have had at the time that everyone was pointing fingers and making excuses after the failed GFs and the loss of Lyon, and Clarkson was in a similar situation when he arrived at Hawthorn- some players and officials were sooking to the board, some guys didn't want to work with him, but being a strongly led club, they stuck by his peculiar ways and now have great success. Let's look forward.

How come you refuse to take notice of people who where at the club when deciding anything about SW. They say he was off tap and the things that have come out suggest that. And lets be honest the list he had in 2013 should have won many more games than 5 if this years list culd win 6 and half. The guy couldn't coach and to make matters worse was off his head on a power trip. Richo doesn't seem like that at all and hopefully the SW failure means we have got a very good coach.
Watters was right when after he got the arse he said that we were not a great club because great clubs don't do this and don't do that etc.

He was right because great clubs do not appoint coaches that are self servicing flogs.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 28 Sep 2015 6:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Further, what about when Watters used to reel off pearlers like: "We don't shy away from that".

I can't believe people didn't see straight through that shite.

What a wanker and a flog.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 28 Sep 2015 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

ripplug66
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Watters was right when after he got the arse he said that we were not a great club because great clubs don't do this and don't do that etc.

He was right because great clubs do not appoint coaches that are self servicing flogs.

Yep not one of ur better decisions. Ranks up with there with appointing Blight.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

I remember how much we got bagged for sacking the legend that was Blighty.

We shoould have been bagged but not for sacking him as that was the right decision. We should have been bagged for hiring him in the first place.

Mal Blght, just part of a conga line of AFL flogs who unfortunatley had tenure as our coach.

loris
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

I remember how much we got bagged for sacking the legend that was Blighty.

We shoould have been bagged but not for sacking him as that was the right decision. We should have been bagged for hiring him in the first place.

Mal Blght, just part of a conga line of AFL flogs who unfortunatley had tenure as our coach.

Oh gee.... don't you just luv us Saints?

When we stuff up, we monumentally stuff up!!!!!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Let me start by saying, I have no issue with him 'shafting' us.

There's no loyalty in footy. We all know that - or at least should know that.

And, I was pleased to see him go. I don't rate him at all. Never really did.

The 2nd best in the business at getting his players to consistently do exactly what he wants them to do. He's brilliant as a coach in this regard.

But it's what he wants them to do that is the problem.

His twams don't score rnough, and are one dimensional. He relies to heavily on superstar cattle, but at the same time he inadvertently restricts his superstar players with his quagmire game plan.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

But a very good coach given the overrated Freo list.

The Recruit
Club Player

i Would NOT want ross to coach the saints. Not sure he can evolve his coaching to win a GF and rebuild a list same goes for Paul Roos?? I will enjoy Ross losing finals for a few years yet as a mercenary money hungry Judas. GWS will be his next home after all the hard work is done at that club....then to the blues after t Brendan has given his all to build a list. He is a bad human and a terrible football person....a man who doesn't care about his dog acts......

maverick
Saintsational Legend

This is getting over the top.
One bounce of the ball and he is an immortal, amazing.
Roo loves him, good enough for me...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

@Thomo_Grant: It's embarrassing watching Roos vindicating Dockers style & putting it down to bad luck. 5 major finals (4GF's) scoring 52-68pts. Get real.

@Thomo_Grant: Style that keeps game close & relies on luck, then when you don't get it you whinge about it. Sick of hearing about Milney's unlucky bounce