Carlisle's extra weekend fitness

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle's extra weekend fitness

Everyone does in apparently...

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
St Loxton wrote:Didn't spider stuff his knee gardening or something. Can get injured doing just about anything. Rather them playing cricket than surfing.
When do you ever hear of AFL players playing cricket these days? I lot of them were good cricketers growing up and you'd think they would love to play a bit in the off-season. Perhaps its just down to not having the time for organised sport - they usually go away on their holidays and then even the preseason is pretty time consuming with camps, recovery sessions, promotion stuff etc. Perhaps is no big deal but I thought maybe the clubs feel cricket with is just a bit too dangerous with a hard ball being slung at them, some pretty uneven suburban grounds etc.

Still you would hope Jake would run it past the club, especially as he is still in rehab (physical that is :wink: ) and should get the physio sign-off its ok.

Wow a hard ball. He has a bat you know?
So did Phil Hughes. You do a fair bit of explosive running between wickets (esp making 140). And you are trying to make out Jake isn't a special case when he is for a variety of reasons. H's 24 so not a spring chicken. He's just come from another club so the club medico's and physio's would still be a getting a handle on where his body is at without years of first hand knowledge. He's in the rehab group so there are issues there including his knee is the rumour. He's had god knows what pumped into him at Essendope. And the club won't have a lot of trust or respect for a guy who lied to the club before the trade and then missed a couple of training sessions after promising to do everything right.

Jake should be erring on the side of caution at all times to get some runs on the board (pardon the cricket pun) with the club . If he didn't let the club know he intended to play some cricket for the day then i think the club would be disappointed. It would be an easy thing to do and show he is acting responsibly and being open and transparent. The club shouldn't have to try and preempt his activities. He should know when to check in with the physical stuff he is doing to get clearance. A game of cricket is unusual and its an easy thing to check out with the club. I think he probably did but to argue he didn't need to is ridiculous.

We've invested heavily in Jake and he's already going to miss 2 games for the club because of his irresponsible actions. He should be making sure he doesn't do a single thing more to set back being cherry ripe for his saints debut.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
St Loxton wrote:Didn't spider stuff his knee gardening or something. Can get injured doing just about anything. Rather them playing cricket than surfing.
When do you ever hear of AFL players playing cricket these days? I lot of them were good cricketers growing up and you'd think they would love to play a bit in the off-season. Perhaps its just down to not having the time for organised sport - they usually go away on their holidays and then even the preseason is pretty time consuming with camps, recovery sessions, promotion stuff etc. Perhaps is no big deal but I thought maybe the clubs feel cricket with is just a bit too dangerous with a hard ball being slung at them, some pretty uneven suburban grounds etc.

Still you would hope Jake would run it past the club, especially as he is still in rehab (physical that is :wink: ) and should get the physio sign-off its ok.

Wow a hard ball. He has a bat you know?
So did Phil Hughes. You do a fair bit of explosive running between wickets (esp making 140). And you are trying to make out Jake isn't a special case when he is for a variety of reasons. H's 24 so not a spring chicken. He's just come from another club so the club medico's and physio's would still be a getting a handle on where his body is at without years of first hand knowledge. He's in the rehab group so there are issues there including his knee is the rumour. He's had god knows what pumped into him at Essendope. And the club won't have a lot of trust or respect for a guy who lied to the club before the trade and then missed a couple of training sessions after promising to do everything right.

Jake should be erring on the side of caution at all times to get some runs on the board (pardon the cricket pun) with the club . If he didn't let the club know he intended to play some cricket for the day then i think the club would be disappointed. It would be an easy thing to do and show he is acting responsibly and being open and transparent. The club shouldn't have to try and preempt his activities. He should know when to check in with the physical stuff he is doing to get clearance. A game of cricket is unusual and its an easy thing to check out with the club. I think he probably did but to argue he didn't need to is ridiculous.

We've invested heavily in Jake and he's already going to miss 2 games for the club because of his irresponsible actions. He should be making sure he doesn't do a single thing more to set back being cherry ripe for his saints debut.

And I didn't guess you would use Phillip Hughes to win points. Any level I suppose. 24 years of age. Big deal. Running between wickets. Big deal. Yep he is the rehab group and that's why I would 100% sure he asked the medical stuff. The other option is to think he said stuff them and just does what he wants.

Should the guys that surf get permission or is that ok? Should the players get permission to get blind in bali and then walk the streets or go out to the bounty where they would be known by half the crowd. Matter of fact can players be trusted in leaving their homes. There is so many dangers out there. You used Phillip Hughes to stress the dangers of cricket but what about the 250 who have died on the roads this year?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:You do a fair bit of explosive running between wickets (esp making 140).
He may have just been smashing 'em to and over the boundary :wink:

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bluthy wrote:You do a fair bit of explosive running between wickets (esp making 140).
He may have just been smashing 'em to and over the boundary :wink:
Pity he didn't have some mates there to snapchat it.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:And I didn't guess you would use Phillip Hughes to win points. Any level I suppose. 24 years of age. Big deal. Running between wickets. Big deal. Yep he is the rehab group and that's why I would 100% sure he asked the medical stuff. The other option is to think he said stuff them and just does what he wants.

Should the guys that surf get permission or is that ok? Should the players get permission to get blind in bali and then walk the streets or go out to the bounty where they would be known by half the crowd. Matter of fact can players be trusted in leaving their homes. There is so many dangers out there. You used Phillip Hughes to stress the dangers of cricket but what about the 250 who have died on the roads this year?
Just giving you an example that cricket can be dangerous as you were ridiculously dismissive. People get their faces smashed in - remember Bob Hawke? Don't know about surfing - not sure why you are so obsessed with it - are you worried about sharks? Thats usually out in deepish water the professionals go out to is my understanding. The club would probably have a standard approach to what activities they are ok with players doing and which they aren't and give players a lecture on it at the end of the season. They probably emphasis being safe and using common sense including overseas trips. Players bodies are their tools - the tool gets damaged then they risk their career.

I think we are actually agreeing - he should have let the club know about an unusual activity - you're just deliberately being argumentative (as usual).

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:And I didn't guess you would use Phillip Hughes to win points. Any level I suppose. 24 years of age. Big deal. Running between wickets. Big deal. Yep he is the rehab group and that's why I would 100% sure he asked the medical stuff. The other option is to think he said stuff them and just does what he wants.

Just giving you an example that cricket can be dangerous as you were ridiculously dismissive. People get their faces smashed in - remember Bob Hawke? Don't know about surfing - not sure why you are so obsessed with it - are you worried about sharks? Thats usually out in deepish water the professionals go out to is my understanding. The club would probably have a standard approach to what activities they are ok with players doing and which they aren't and give players a lecture on it at the end of the season. They probably emphasis being safe and using common sense including overseas trips. Players bodies are their tools - the tool gets damaged then they risk their career.

I think we are actually agreeing - he should have let the club know about an unusual activity - you're just deliberately being argumentative (as usual).

Ha ha.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I remember my Dad getting all excited when the Saints signed Darell Balldock. Not because of his footballing skills but because he was such a good cricketer.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bump ....... So we can read Linton Lodger's post!

ripplug66
Club Player

loris wrote:Bump ....... So we can read Linton Lodger's post!

Still not on my computer.

loris
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Bump ....... So we can read Linton Lodger's post!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: It's not here :shock: Bloody Chinese

loris
Saintsational Legend

Now it's happening with you Plugs............ your name comes up for a post ........... and you're not there. Is that a good or a bad thing I ask!!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Now it's happening with you Plugs............ your name comes up for a post ........... and you're not there. Is that a good or a bad thing I ask!!!!
I think I will stay mum.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If he did it without approval there would have been a completely different headline. I think its great that he could come out of nowhere and make 146 not out. Shows he is focused, has good timing and excellent concentration. He is likely very fit too. I hope he has a smashing year.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I worked at Pura Milk in the late 90s and when we had our work breakup at Christmas, the players would come down and play cricket with us. Geez, Harvs could play!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
loris
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:I worked at Pura Milk in the late 90s and when we had our work breakup at Christmas, the players would come down and play cricket with us. Geez, Harvs could play!
Well I suppose when Harves was a little 'whipper snipper' - at the extended family Christmas get togethers when the annual backyard cricket was played. Old Uncle Neil was there to give plenty of tips to young Robert on how to hold a bat and technique. Couldn't have had a better family coach in his formative years for developing his hand to eye coordination skills, so necessary for cricket.

I watched a number of innings of Uncle Neil, so technically correct, and that was when he was past his prime. Delightful to watch him craft an innings. Pity he was such a grumpy bugger. I was told by Keith Miller Harvey was an 'always half empty glass' type of personality. So I guess young Robert would always listen to Uncle Neil, so as not to get 'his head bitten off'.!!!!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Edited
Last edited by magnifisaint on Wed 16 Dec 2015 11:51am, edited 1 time in total.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:I worked at Pura Milk in the late 90s and when we had our work breakup at Christmas, the players would come down and play cricket with us. Geez, Harvs could play!
Well I suppose when Harves was a little 'whipper snipper' - at the extended family Christmas get togethers when the annual backyard cricket was played. Old Uncle Neil was there to give plenty of tips to young Robert on how to hold a bat and technique. Couldn't have had a better family coach in his formative years for developing his hand to eye coordination skills, so necessary for cricket.

I watched a number of innings of Uncle Neil, so technically correct, and that was when he was past his prime. Delightful to watch him craft an innings. Pity he was such a grumpy bugger. I was told by Keith Miller Harvey was an 'always half empty glass' type of personality. So I guess young Robert would always listen to Uncle Neil, so as not to get 'his head bitten off'.!!!!!
Geez you're old!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
loris
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
loris wrote:

Geez you're old!

You are not wrong there 'magnificient', heading for 72 next birthday, so I'm well on my way to a classical, well made century I hope that is still full of class and style!!! :P :P

At least I have got to this age, with my health, curiosity and can do attitude intact and still delight in defeating many 20-30year olds (especially males) in ocean swimming races. Specially, love reeling them in over 5km course....... all it takes is technique and attitude :P

I can recall Norman O'Neil taking over Neil Harvey's mantle as the next great hope...... much to my fathers chagrin.
Dad was a real Harvey man and I just idolized Norm O'Neill when he came on the scene. We always had disagreements over who was the better batsman. Ofcourse, I argued O'Neill and also Ian Craig would go onto greater heights than Harvey ever did. How wrong I was!!!! Isn't it strange how our parents knew more than we ever did :? :? Age defeats/outscores youth so often in so many areas :wink: :wink: :wink:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

You are a living example of that, my dear Loris. Keep punching. A century awaits!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:You are a living example of that, my dear Loris. Keep punching. A century awaits!

Trouble is WW, I keep mistaking the linseed oil I rub into my old trusty cricket bat with the 'emu oil' I need to rub into my arthritic joints these days :? :? :?

PS. In my day, we had to oil our cricket bat!!!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Trouble is WW, I keep mistaking the linseed oil I rub into my old trusty cricket bat with the 'emu oil' I need to rub into my arthritic joints these days :? :? :?

Mmmmmmmmmmm...linseed oil. New cricket bat. Old rag. Lovingly rubbing it in.....

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:You are a living example of that, my dear Loris. Keep punching. A century awaits!

Stop it you two. Is oiling your bat a euphemism for something else ? Oh behave!! :wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

I could do a 'Princess Margaret' and go for the 'younger man' WW.

I've clapped eyes on st.byron............. not a bad bit of eye candy I may add!!!!!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Just wait until you clap your peepers on my "Clooneyesque" countenance, Loris. Can't see it myself, but several women have told me that after they've had a bottle of vodka, the resemblance is remarkable!