Do we all consider Riewoldt better than J.Brown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Locals322
Club Player

Do we all consider Riewoldt better than J.Brown

Without the premierships he has been a far better player, for far longer. Jono Brown's one man stand domination games are more than what Nick could ever do in his prime but Roo is still playing like a star and J.Brown was close to being dropped before he retired.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we all consider Riewoldt better than J.Brown

Well i consider Roo the better of the two at any rate. Actually three, Pav would have to be considered in any conversation about the best centre half forward of that period.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Locals322 wrote:Without the premierships he has been a far better player, for far longer. Jono Brown's one man stand domination games are more than what Nick could ever do in his prime but Roo is still playing like a star and J.Brown was close to being dropped before he retired.

In a word. Yes.

mambo2706
Club Player

I think Roo is easily the better player. I think it's unfair that people say Brown is because he played in three premiership teams. Using that logic Cam Mooney is a better player than Plugger. I also think that Roo's mark from 2007 is better than Brown's in 2002

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I do, and I think most Saints fans would. Brown has 3 flags and I'm sure some footy fans would have him above Nick for that reason alone.

Nick has played at an extraordinary level for such a long time. Far longer than Brown imo.

I know the usual suspects will go crazy at me but that's ok. IMHO, both Brown and Pav are better than Rooey. Rooey has been and always will be a 'FLAWED CHAMPION'. He has never been able to fix his kicking for goal. His bad kicking at goal outdid a lot of his great work and for that reason I don't rate him a champion. He still is a great player mind you.

ripplug66
Club Player

citywest wrote:I know the usual suspects will go crazy at me but that's ok. IMHO, both Brown and Pav are better than Rooey. Rooey has been and always will be a 'FLAWED CHAMPION'. He has never been able to fix his kicking for goal. His bad kicking at goal outdid a lot of his great work and for that reason I don't rate him a champion. He still is a great player mind you.

I don't think his average is much worse than either and because he covers more ground than either of the other 2 he is generally very stuffed when he kicks for goal. He also is more of a leading forward which means he has shots from tighter angles. He certainly isn't a flawed champion at all.
Last edited by ripplug66 on Mon 28 Dec 2015 5:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

elizabethr
Club Player

I think Brown.

nothing to say
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If Riewoldt had taken at least one GF by the scruff of the neck we would not still be stuck on one flag.
GF's is where captains and key forwards frank their greatness!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Premierships aside... Which counts for little individually... If Roo played for Geelong or Hawthorn he'd have 5

Nicks individual achievements and his numbers are better than Browns... For a reason

Pavlich is almost Nicks equal

Tredrea a better CHF than Brown... Especially in the Bris premiership years where Tredders was the AA CHF

Brown suffers from the same great bloke thus get rated higher as Luke Hodge does... He was no better than David Neitz in my mind...

I'll tell you one thing
Brown had far more average games (and seasons) than Nick

Roo's consistency of
16poss
8 Marks
2 Contested
2 Goals
About 40 long leads
On an 'average' outing, is remarkable

Vazelos
Club Player

Riewoldt's output over his career would be greater than Browns. ie played at a better level for more games but football by certain people assess players in definitive games. ie finals and Grand Finals. I know Mike Sheahan & he scores Riewoldt lower than he would like due to his GF performances not being substantial.

One way of answering with a gut feel quick answer is, " if a team was playing for your life who would you have playing in this position?"

As a Sainter I would say Riewoldt but there are a few ways to assess a person's career therefore you may have different opinions.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I know the usual suspects will go crazy at me but that's ok. IMHO, both Brown and Pav are better than Rooey. Rooey has been and always will be a 'FLAWED CHAMPION'. He has never been able to fix his kicking for goal. His bad kicking at goal outdid a lot of his great work and for that reason I don't rate him a champion. He still is a great player mind you.
There is an argument for Brown. None whatsoever for Pav. Not in the same league .Roo not a champion? Get real troll. You are insulting

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Throwing my two bobs worth in here as I was lucky enough to see Browny's career from the start as we were Lions members from 1999-01.

Two completely different players both suited for their team roles. Browny is unusual in that he had three premiership medals by the age of 21 (a month before his 22nd birthday from memory). And he was a part of a champion team (IMO prolly the best even though Hawthorn 1988/89 would test them) When the Lions golden age ended and their champs retired, Browny became the main man, skipper etc. He played as a full forward but lead up the ground, much like Roo now I guess. He never changed his full at the ball attitude even when he was seriously injured a few times.

Roo was a vital part of an up and coming Saints team who eventually became the leader both physically and spiritually.

Both champion players. Both great club men and leaders. How do say one is better than the other? Was Dunstall better than Lockett because of his flags? Why do some people consider Ablett Snr the greatest of all time? He got zero flags.

It's a endless debate I guess.

But I do agree with saynta about Pavlova. Not even in the same breath as Roo and Browny. Looked good in a team of gumbies most of his career. A good footballer but not elite like others above him.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I put them on par. Although if one is objective, Brown did play a big part in three premierships, then again he was in a better team than Roo. Mind you In 2010 we almost stole the flag from Collingwood (let's face it the Filth were 8-10 goals better than anyone at the time), and it would have been Roo, Lenny and BJ that dragged us over the line via sheer willpower.

Both courageous Champions.

ripplug66
Club Player

stevie wrote:Throwing my two bobs worth in here as I was lucky enough to see Browny's career from the start as we were Lions members from 1999-01.

Two completely different players both suited for their team roles. Browny is unusual in that he had three premiership medals by the age of 21 (a month before his 22nd birthday from memory). And he was a part of a champion team (IMO prolly the best even though Hawthorn 1988/89 would test them) When the Lions golden age ended and their champs retired, Browny became the main man, skipper etc. He played as a full forward but lead up the ground, much like Roo now I guess. He never changed his full at the ball attitude even when he was seriously injured a few times.

Roo was a vital part of an up and coming Saints team who eventually became the leader both physically and spiritually.

Both champion players. Both great club men and leaders. How do say one is better than the other? Was Dunstall better than Lockett because of his flags? Why do some people consider Ablett Snr the greatest of all time? He got zero flags.

But I do agree with saynta about Pavlova. Not even in the same breath as Roo and Browny. Looked good in a team of gumbies most of his career. A good footballer but not elite like others above him.

Pavlich is underated by most for some reason I don't get. A team of gumbies? What does that mean? He has probably played nearly as many finals as Roo and why does that matter anyway. Surely its harder for a forward in a team of gumbies. I think it shows how people just don't watch other teams enough to realise how good they are. It seems the AA selectors had an idea how good he was. Alll 3 of them are great players and most who follow one of their sides would think the one that plays for them is better than the other 2 and there is nothing wrong with that because he 3 are so close in ability.

loris
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
stevie wrote:Throwing my two bobs worth in here as I was lucky enough to see Browny's career from the start as we were Lions members from 1999-01.

Pavlich is underated by most for some reason I don't get. A team of gumbies? What does that mean? He has probably played nearly as many finals as Roo and why does that matter anyway. Surely its harder for a forward in a team of gumbies. I think it shows how people just don't watch other teams enough to realise how good they are. It seems the AA selectors had an idea how good he was. Alll 3 of them are great players and most who follow one of their sides would think the one that plays for them is better than the other 2 and there is nothing wrong with that because he 3 are so close in ability.
Agree Pav is extremely underrated. Possibly a more versatile player than the other 2.

He's played CHB, CHF, FF, had a great season a couple of seasons ago (prior to Lyon) where Harvey used him mainly as an on-baller going forward. Was AA that year.
I've seen Pav play a number of games , where his domination has got Freo back in the game and turned the game around. Great leader.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Different playeds but Roo has definitley sustained a higher output over the length of his career. Brown had more of an impact and was more dominant figure in finals though. I loved how Brown would intimidate the opposition Roo has never had that.

Roo has been absolute superstar for our club!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Which finals has Brown dominated?!

Riewoldt dominated at least 4 finals and was judged best afield (two prelims)

Brown had the best midfield of the modern era to lead to and played CHF in dominant teams

Before being the go to key fwd in OK teams and to be honest, struggled after 08

Roo was AA more... AA Capt in 09
Won more B&Fs
Took more marks (contested also)
Was judged by his peers as AFLPA MVP

And those who know footy and can see beyond borders and read more than the HS know how good Pavlich is... A remarkable player, only fwd close to Roo
Same goes for Tredrea... Better CHF than Brown .... I believe he was AA CHF 3 or 4 seasons in a row.
And also his output proves it

I don't go on perceived ability or get convinced by people's subject bias because Browny strutted around like a poor mans Wayne Carey... And spins a good yarn... His good Aussie bloke act on the footy show irritates me, like most bogans do

I rate output, numbers, measured success...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Agree Pav is extremely underrated. Possibly a more versatile player than the other 2.

He's played CHB, CHF, FF, had a great season a couple of seasons ago (prior to Lyon) where Harvey used him mainly as an on-baller going forward. Was AA that year.
I've seen Pav play a number of games , where his domination has got Freo back in the game and turned the game around. Great leader.
Thanks for the support Loris.

I've always salivated at the thought of both Roo and Pav in the same forward line alternating between CHF and FF.

Delicious....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Which finals has Brown dominated?!

Riewoldt dominated at least 4 finals and was judged best afield (two prelims)

Brown had the best midfield of the modern era to lead to and played CHF in dominant teams

Before being the go to key fwd in OK teams and to be honest, struggled after 08

Roo was AA more... AA Capt in 09
Won more B&Fs
Took more marks (contested also)
Was judged by his peers as AFLPA MVP

And those who know footy and can see beyond borders and read more than the HS know how good Pavlich is... A remarkable player, only fwd close to Roo
Same goes for Tredrea... Better CHF than Brown .... I believe he was AA CHF 3 or 4 seasons in a row.
And also his output proves it

I don't go on perceived ability or get convinced by people's subject bias because Browny strutted around like a poor mans Wayne Carey... And spins a good yarn... His good Aussie bloke act on the footy show irritates me, like most bogans do

I rate output, numbers, measured success...
I can see beyound borders and i certainly don't rely on the herald sun for my footballing views. Pav's just not in the same clas as the other two. IMHO that is.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Just out of curiosity - which GF did Brown grab by the scruff of the neck??

Roo played a very much underrated game in 2010 drawn GF. Ppl forget, we barely had over 35 fwd entries - not even sure we had that. He kicked 2 goals in a low scoring game and still had about 15-17 possessions.

Brown was a great player - no doubt at all about that. However imo Roo should be rated up with the absolute elite players of the last 40 years who played CHF, ie Carey, Kernahan, Glendinning, Buddy etc. Roo has produced remarkably consistent high level footy almost every year he has played the game. The only really poor year I can recall him having was 2011. I think many forget just how many games he's won for the saints. I certainly don't. I rate him behind Plugger as the best saint I've ever seen, although I only really seriously started watching saints games from 97 onwards. Hardest position on the ground and thus the most important

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Brown's stats in GF's remarkably similar to Riewoldt's.
I.e number of kicks marks and tackles, however if we limited to possessions in the forward half and causing spillages to the advantage of your team I will take Brown every time. Not denigrating Nick's overall stats or longevity but I can't rate him with blokes who turned GF's for their side.
Sits well in the next tier with . Richardson Pavlich and C Grant.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Do you actually rate anyone or anything.

Ps. What Gora said

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So we rate players on GF performances now??

Feel sorry for great players who weren't lucky enough to be surrounded by other great players...
Obviously
Dunstall and Brereton
Many times better than
Lockett and Loewe then
And obviously
Doesn't matter what the stats say

What a load of bollocks written by imbeciles who simply don't know the game

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:So we rate players on GF performances now??

Feel sorry for great players who weren't lucky enough to be surrounded by other great players...
Obviously
Dunstall and Brereton
Many times better than
Lockett and Loewe then
And obviously
Doesn't matter what the stats say

What a load of bollocks written by imbeciles who simply don't know the game

Wow.