The Saints will finish ?? in 2016?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Saints will finish ?? in 2016?

GoSaintersGo wrote:I reckon the Saints will finish the season in 7th place with 10 wins.
must be expecting mass disqualifications of other teams, 10 wins will rarely get you higher than 10th or 11th.

Vazelos
Club Player

I see us winning 10 games and finishing around 10th.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Where do you think our Saints will finish on the ladder this season, and with how many wins?

For me it is 10th with 10 wins.
Who do those 10 wins come against?
2 x Essendon
2 x Melbourne
2 x Carlton
1 x WB
1 x Lions
1 x GC
1 x GWS

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Where do you think our Saints will finish on the ladder this season, and with how many wins?

2 x Essendon
2 x Melbourne
2 x Carlton
1 x WB
1 x Lions
1 x GC
1 x GWS
I'm not as cocky as everyone else seems to be about Melbourne. They have a lot of raw talent particularly in their midfield where they've used a lot of their high picks - different to us. I hate Roos' lock down style but he's a damn good coach. Its evolution not revolution with him and as his players get bigger and can get to more contests his swamping tactics come more into play. They should have won at Etihad except for a stuff up. Yes they've had a self-defeating losing culture but they do seem to have come out of that now. Our edge over them has been our older champions in Roo, Fish, Joey and Demps but if they fade then it could be close.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne will beat us one day, but you have to say that if you look at our FIXture, that you'd think we'd beat Carlton twice, Essendon twice, Brisbane at Etihad, and Melbourne at Etihad - and we play them twice at Etihad this year. If we played them at the G it might be a very different story though.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:

2 x Essendon
2 x Melbourne
2 x Carlton
1 x WB
1 x Lions
1 x GC
1 x GWS
won't beat GWS or Bulldogs - and not GC if Ablett plays. The others I agree with.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

2 x Essendon
2 x Melbourne
2 x Carlton
1 x WB
1 x Lions
1 x GC
1 x GWS
won't beat GWS or Bulldogs - and not GC if Ablett plays. The others I agree with.
Did last year, why not this year?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I think we have just cause to be reasonably cocky about Melbourne...we were asleep for an entire game last season and beat them with 10 seconds of effort. Next game in the wet we took Roos' pressure game, put it on a plate and served it back to him...they never got close. Bulldogs were a real revelation last year, but we ran them down, then followed up by kicking ourselves out of a second victory under little pressure. Gold Coast, well, who knows...certainly didn't bother us with probably their best team of the season last year.

Having overcome their Saints hoodoo, we don't seem to match up well with GWS, and I find it hard to be confident about the Carlton First 18 when they smashed us in NZ by 10 goals last year!

There's bound to be a few unexpected wins, and losses, but overall I'd say 10 wins sounds about right.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

No idea, excluding essendon and Carlton I can't pick the should win games. Safe to say there should be more 50/50 games for us to sneak over the line this year. I think anywhere between 6-10 wins.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

2 x Essendon
2 x Melbourne
2 x Carlton
1 x WB
1 x Lions
1 x GC
1 x GWS
Did last year, why not this year?
You can't always rely on things going the way they did the year before. We are very vulnerable against the big power forwards, and Hogan is one of them, and thanks to Jake being suspended for the year, I can't see that problem changing until at least 2017. Goddard isn't old enough yet, and Delaney is only just going. It's a moot point anyway because we play them twice at Etihad. We have a friendly draw, playing Essendon and Carlton twice, and playing Brisbane in the final game of the year at Etihad is one we should win comfortably too. I would love to see us beat North, but we are at least a year away from that I think. I read somewhere that they have seven or eight players over 30 this year (or was it nine I can't remember?), and I can really see them sliding in a big way in 2017, but they could finish top four again this year.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:

2 x Essendon
2 x Melbourne
2 x Carlton
1 x WB
1 x Lions
1 x GC
1 x GWS
That's encouraged me to pick 8 wins for the year. Happy with 8.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
lewdogs
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:

2 x Essendon
2 x Melbourne
2 x Carlton
1 x WB
1 x Lions
1 x GC
1 x GWS
Wow that's actually quite feasible. Throw in a few other cheeky wins (eg Geelong, Nth, Pies, Crows?) and who knows...

chook23
Saintsational Legend

We have a very tough 1st half of the year draw wise........

finish bottom 5

saint4life
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I reckon ten to thirteen.

Tough first half of the year. I still think we should be really pushing some top eight sides and actually knock a couple of which is the next step.

We really, really need some progression this year from some key second and third years. The old guard is not getting any younger and we must see some improvement or we will lose a year on this build which would be horrible.

I am bullish on our list and I think we have a solid 22, and the next six to nine are really on the verge.

It is most definitely a development year and we have to be prepared for inconsistency.

Remember to enjoy watching the captain this year too as it is a privilege. Chances are he will hang them up at the end so enjoy it while you can. 2016 should be a good year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

ripplug66 wrote:13th to 15th. 6 to 8 wins.
About right, hope we beat Essendon, Carlton, Melbourne.........ummm......Sydney on a bad day........err...

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Should win 7 games - fifth from bottom - lock for bottom 6. Hope we can beat Essendon both times by 100+ and Carlton twice by 60+. Maybe sneak in a 30 plus goal game in there too somewhere, beat Melbourne twice at Etihad, bringing up our club record 14th win straight against them and crack the 90 win barrier against an opponent for the first time in our history too. Then finish off the season with a victory over the Lions at Etihad in the final round.
Keep developing the side, and build for a mid table finish in 2017.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote:14th - 7 wins
Yep I reckon 7 wins sounds about right

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Last season Melbourne ended up 13th with 7 wins and Collingwood ended up 12th with 10 wins, so eight wins will probably be 13th, a gain of one space. Ten wins probably gets us 12th, a gain of two positions.

darylcowie
Club Player

12th with 8 wins Brisbane (home), Carlton (both games), Essendon (both games), Melbourne (both games) and Gold Coast (away) and possibly GWS (home) too, but I'm not banking on that one.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

The Saints will finish Premiers, Position 1, in 2016. I am backing the team now and I don't go for half-baked outcomes! :)

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
loris
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:The Saints will finish Premiers, Position 1, in 2016. I am backing the team now and I don't go for half-baked outcomes! :)
That's the spirit Rushie :P

Not wanting to appear too negative, sadly over time supporting the Saints, you may find what is ideal and what is real are often poles apart :cry: :cry:

But I'll jump onto your bandwagon........... Let's see them play off in the big dance at the end of the season :wink: :wink:

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
IanRush wrote:The Saints will finish Premiers, Position 1, in 2016. I am backing the team now and I don't go for half-baked outcomes! :)
That's the spirit Rushie :P

Not wanting to appear too negative, sadly over time supporting the Saints, you may find what is ideal and what is real are often poles apart :cry: :cry:

But I'll jump onto your bandwagon........... Let's see them play off in the big dance at the end of the season :wink: :wink:
You rock loris!

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:12th with 8 wins Brisbane (home), Carlton (both games), Essendon (both games), Melbourne (both games) and Gold Coast (away) and possibly GWS (home) too, but I'm not banking on that one.
That is similar to my thinking, except that we only play the Suns up there and we could get done, and the Giants have just been gifted so much talent I simply can't see us getting over them, even at Etihad. I can stomach another fourteenth finish in 2016, but I am really hoping that Carlisle and Freeman as well as our 5th pick in this years draft along with Gresham can make a difference in 2017.
I really want us to beat both Carlton and Essendon by 100 points + this year and kick 200+ points against the Lions though. Both of which are possible and would give us a great %.