Unrestricted/Restricted free agents

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintberra
Club Player

Unrestricted/Restricted free agents

Any thoughts on the recently released list of unrestricted and restricted free agents?

Which players would we be keen to chase, or should we wait a year or two to try and catch a larger fish?

From the unrestricted list, I think the only players we'd be interested in would be:
Cale Hooker
Kieren Jack

- But are these players too old for us to bother?

The list is here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-03/t ... agent-list

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Unrestricted/Restricted free agents

These guys still cost you in picks. Hooker is tempting to give us an incredibly dynamic backline but do we want to deal with Essendon again? And he would cost us a fair bit in picks as they'll be a bidding war if he wants out. WE don't have next years 2nd rounder which we gave up for Freeman. I'd prefer we keep going to the draft heavily and see what we can also develop with guys like Lee, Coughlan and Membrey and some rookies that we've done well with so far.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Nothing of interest in that list for us imho.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:These guys still cost you in picks. Hooker is tempting to give us an incredibly dynamic backline but do we want to deal with Essendon again? And he would cost us a fair bit in picks as they'll be a bidding war if he wants out. WE don't have next years 2nd rounder which we gave up for Freeman. I'd prefer we keep going to the draft heavily and see what we can also develop with guys like Lee, Coughlan and Membrey and some rookies that we've done well with so far.
Do not have to deal with essendon re Hooker.......as he is unrestricted

saint4life
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I don't know when the world is going to wake up? or perhaps the AFL has orchestrated things? Any club dealing with Essendon shouldn't have to give up anything. Any Essendon player that challenges their contract with EFC (if it was signed prior to the supplements saga) will find that its null & void. There is no way that Essendon could ever argue they did not breach their player contracts.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:I don't know when the world is going to wake up? or perhaps the AFL has orchestrated things? Any club dealing with Essendon shouldn't have to give up anything. Any Essendon player that challenges their contract with EFC (if it was signed prior to the supplements saga) will find that its null & void. There is no way that Essendon could ever argue they did not breach their player contracts.
Correct. Any player wanting to break their contract would be a FA.

Essendon may get compensation picks but if they already have one for say Hooker in the first round, they would get the next at the end of round one (otherwise the other clubs would munity).

Some of the dirty dozen are considering breaking their contracts.

You are garbage - Enough said
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Free Agents and Restricted Free Agents DO NOT cost picks. That's the whole point. AFL assigns extra picks as compo. They don't come from us.

Nothing we need or want in the Free Agents IMHO.

Every club will ask about Rich and Sidebottom as unrestricted free agents. Of course Brisbane and Collingwood CAN match any offer if they so decide.

What we have is a HUGE war chest of money to be used next year to attract one of these guys ... especially with the bonus $400,000+ about to be added (courtesy of Essendon paying Carlisle's 7 months of salary that now gets excluded from our cap) AND the marketing money saved during the snapchat fall out ... that's added to the already impressive pile of salary cap room for the 2017 season by already being under the cap in 2016.

My guess is we can afford to offer up to $1.2million for 2017 (essentially a $500,000 sign on fee) and $700,000 a year for next 3 years (possibly more once we know salary cap levels for 2018 beyond), so a package that will be $3.3 million over 4 years for one of these players.

My preference would be Sidebottom as he is a mid that kicks goals and stands up in big moments. My undertsanding is that is around $700,000 more than Collingwood are offering for a 4 year deal.

It should be noted that a $700,000 is reasonable per season for an A Grader given the Salary cap has gone up and will go up more given the massive broadcast agreement. We can afford one of these guys ... and should go for it.

While Brisbane have the salary cap room to match a huge 2017 offer on Rich, Collingwood would struggle to match with Sidebottom ... especially to fit $1.2million into their cap for season 2017.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sidebottom signed new deal which is not a surprise.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Travis Colyer according to today's paper. I would like us to have a go at snaring Hurley.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Nothing of interest in that list for us imho.
Agree, wait one more season, then see what's out there

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

No way I'd pay $700k for Sidebottom

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

FA coming in was a disaster for the Saints.

It will never benefit us as much as some clubs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Jack Watts , offer minimum match payments and a half eaten cherry ripe !

In red white and black from 73
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

nothing of interest - wait a year!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "