AFL Round Table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

longtimesaint
Club Player

AFL Round Table

I watched the AFL Round Table program on Foxtel last night and a couple of items were surprising
David King said it would be a major win for the club if we could finish higher than Melbourne, which when you consider that we beat them twice last year and have not been beaten by them since 2006 seemed odd.
Also they considered that we had the easiest draw of all clubs but when you look at the start it is very hard.
Port away, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Giants in the first 5 rounds is not easy as most "exports" have those sides in the eight or challenging for the eight.
What does everyone think?

One year will be our year
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL Round Table

Every game will be tough and going by the game on Sunday we are seemingly going into the season under prepared and might not really hit our straps until a few rounds in

That said we will be going into all of those first 5 games as underdogs so the pressure will be on the opposition and we might just nick one or two - especially given we have a couple landmark games in there - Roo's 300th and the 50th Anniversary which might just get the boys fired up .............. here's hoping!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I haven't watched it, but apparently Dermott spent the whole time bagging McCartin.

For a bloke who's old man was "allegedly" involved with the IRA, you'd think he'd be nicer to a Paddy.

I'll get my hat and coat......

longtimesaint
Club Player

St Chris wrote:I haven't watched it, but apparently Dermott spent the whole time bagging McCartin.

For a bloke who's old man was "allegedly" involved with the IRA, you'd think he'd be nicer to a Paddy.

It's just too early to evaluate Paddy after six games as a 19 year old.
The trouble with the program is that they are making judgement calls on players that they don't really know.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

David King & Dermott Brereton… gee whiz, talk about flogs of the round table… all you need is to throw in Malthouse, Dwayne Russell & Luke Darcy to make the circle of flog complete.

King puffed his chest up and said we'd go winless last year.

Brereton… the most inane 'special comments' man in the game.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
St Chris wrote:I haven't watched it, but apparently Dermott spent the whole time bagging McCartin.

It's just too early to evaluate Paddy after six games as a 19 year old.
The trouble with the program is that they are making judgement calls on players that they don't really know.
Can't wait for the Tractor vs Paddy debate to fire up here midseason. I think we will need plugsie back for that special!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

King and derrrmot

Lol

longtimesaint
Club Player

matrix wrote:King and derrrmot

Lol
They do talk some rubbish but Jono Brown and Gerard Healey have some good observations.
The point is no one really knows how any side will go till we are a few rounds in.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Just opinions

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:King and derrrmot

Lol
Also both said we wouldn't win a game last year..

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:I watched the AFL Round Table program on Foxtel last night and a couple of items were surprising
David King said it would be a major win for the club if we could finish higher than Melbourne, which when you consider that we beat them twice last year and have not been beaten by them since 2006 seemed odd.
Also they considered that we had the easiest draw of all clubs but when you look at the start it is very hard.
Port away, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Giants in the first 5 rounds is not easy as most "exports" have those sides in the eight or challenging for the eight.
I've been saying for a while that Melbourne are getting their act together. Roos is a damn good coach and is giving the team some backbone after years of a loser culture. After years of being at the bottom they have top 10 picks everywhere. Hogan is a strong target forward and GAwn is a good ruck that gives them another option fwd. Even Jack WAtts looked stronger and like he could be AFL level against us. They've got last years pick 2 & 3 Brayshaw and Petracca to come in. Demons have invested heavily in mids and that tends to pay off quickly with talented onballers often going quickly into seniors.

I like the explosive model we are building but our engine room, that really gets things going, is very much a work in progress. We've got to play Acres, Ross, Billings, Gresham, Dunstan, Billings in there even though they are still learning the caper. We've got an easy draw in the sense we play bottom teams Blues, Bombers and Melbourne twice but thats the nature of the AFL weighting the fixture based on last years finish. Often there is a more fancied team that goes off the rails for whatever reason and crashes and burns ala Gold Coast last year that we might get ahead.

It will be another development/experimental year for us as we keep rotating through guys like Membrey, Lee, Curren, Minch, Delaney, Templeton to see if they've got what it takes and get games into our young crop. The Hickey forward experiment will probably continue to see if he can be that fwd-ruck option that premiership teams usually have. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Melbourne finish above us - they really should with the talent on their books.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely Melbourne should finish above us.

Good chance they wont though.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
longtimesaint
Club Player

bigred wrote:Absolutely Melbourne should finish above us.

Good chance they wont though.
I don't think we can take anything from the NAB challenge match as we had most of our players underdone.
I am confident we can finish above Melbourne.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

I spoke to one of the players dads and asked why we had so many spare rotations compared to Melbourne ( the players were exhausted) and he said it was all about getting some extra run in their legs as we missed the match against Lions. It's all about round 1.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Just saw a replay of it. You could see by Dermet's body language the hatred for St Kilda he has. Really enjoys knocking the club & for whatever reason focused heavily on Paddy. King was for once good. Had a few negatives but that's to be expected. I also noticed they sink the boots into Tom Boyd.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dermot has openly said that he doesn't respect StK. because of how hopeless we've been...

McCartin has got a long way to go... May get there, but hasn't set anything on fire yet... At any level

Myron Gaines
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Dermot has openly said that he doesn't respect StK. because of how hopeless we've been...

McCartin has got a long way to go... May get there, but hasn't set anything on fire yet... At any level
He had a decent junior career (including his underage year) & did a few nice things at VFL & AFL level. At this point in his career you look for glimpses of quality. Same with all big kids. It's rare to see key forwards put 4 quarters together in their first year. Players like Jeremy Cameron are the exception. A pass mark for Paddy is playing about 15 games & kicking around 20 Goals. Barring injury.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:... May get there, but hasn't set anything on fire yet... At any level
Either that is a rediculous statement our our recruiters are imbeciles. Which one is it?

Dermott is a flog. His opinions regarding us are tainted. He hates us, and the feeling is 100% mutual. Over rated, arrogant thug.

SS Hall of Fame

McCartin will be a gun, mark my words. It's his reading of the play and abilty to make smart decisions in tight, that gets me excited. He just needs to build his body & fitness.

Freebird
Club Player

dragit wrote:David King & Dermott Brereton… gee whiz, talk about flogs of the round table… all you need is to throw in Malthouse, Dwayne Russell & Luke Darcy to make the circle of flog complete.

King puffed his chest up and said we'd go winless last year.

Brereton… the most inane 'special comments' man in the game.

This!!!

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

longtimesaint wrote:I watched the AFL Round Table program on Foxtel last night and a couple of items were surprising
David King... He probably said Carlton would lose by 90 pts last night. For him to say anything positive about St Kilda is like he's handing over money to an ex wife or something.... he has to do it occasionally... but can't stand it. Take anything the 'experts' say with a grain of salt.