Gresham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gresham

Amen

I nearly got my head chewed off because I dare criticise the great Ross Lyon for not developing any youth in our good years...

Particularly his treatment of Armitage, Stanley, Steven, Lynch... Who have proven they can really play since.

All of those players were held back due to age, not ability... And our development stalled in the process.

How Armitage missed out in 2009 was staggering. Steven in 2010, and his development of Stanley and Lynch was horrible.

They all played far too few games, whilst a bunch of Tried and tested GOP role players gave him the predictability he sought. He preferred a known 4/10 ever week over an unknown young player ranging from 2/10 -> 6/10.
Many people argued he was doing the best thing for the club by trying to put all our eggs in one basket for a crack,,,
Great clubs don't for go development for success... Because they realise continued development = sustained success and they are not mutually exclusive things.... They also realise, to win ... You must be contending for years... Not flash in the pan and hoping to steal one....
In fact when you are on top, that is the easiest time to carry one or two talented kids who are probably not ready to give consistent performance, but are able to feed off experience and occasionaly deliver with their talent.
On the big stage.... Talent will always shine through... Everyone gives max effort, it's those with ability who deliver.

Our desire to win in that window.... Cost us being contenders for another three years after 2010.... Because
Armitage, Steven, Lynch, Steven didn't play enough to gain experience
And because we recruited
Howard
Johnson
Polo
Cahill
Connors
Gardiner. C
Cripps
Crocker
Smith. A
Pattison
Smith J
Winmar
Heyne
Begley
Ferguson - Re Drafted 2007
Gehrig -Re Drafted 2008
Sweeney
Raymond
Rix
McGough

As well as trading First Round Picks for
F.Watts (unlucky with injury)
A.Lovett (Disgraceful and desperate)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW

I believe Ross Lyon was a great match day coach

But he did what you must not do to a club.... Leave them in a far worse place than he found ... And it was his complete ignorance wrt player development

He coached 22 players ever week
You must coach 45

saintly
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BTW

I believe Ross Lyon was a great match day coach

But he did what you must not do to a club.... Leave them in a far worse place than he found ... And it was his complete ignorance wrt player development

He coached 22 players ever week
You must coach 45

if i could a put a like on this post, i would.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: He coached 22 players ever week
You must coach 45
Which brings me back to my original post…

If a bunch of players really aren't "in the coaches plans", then they are wasting everyones time.

Every player on the list deserves the support of the coach to make it as an AFL player, not feel like they aren't in his plans… which is just crippling for a young mans confidence.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Amen

I nearly got my head chewed off because I dare criticise the great Ross Lyon for not developing any youth in our good years...

Particularly his treatment of Armitage, Stanley, Steven, Lynch... Who have proven they can really play since.

All of those players were held back due to age, not ability... And our development stalled in the process.

How Armitage missed out in 2009 was staggering. Steven in 2010, and his development of Stanley and Lynch was horrible.

They all played far too few games, whilst a bunch of Tried and tested GOP role players gave him the predictability he sought. He preferred a known 4/10 ever week over an unknown young player ranging from 2/10 -> 6/10.
Many people argued he was doing the best thing for the club by trying to put all our eggs in one basket for a crack,,,
Great clubs don't for go development for success... Because they realise continued development = sustained success and they are not mutually exclusive things.... They also realise, to win ... You must be contending for years... Not flash in the pan and hoping to steal one....
In fact when you are on top, that is the easiest time to carry one or two talented kids who are probably not ready to give consistent performance, but are able to feed off experience and occasionaly deliver with their talent.
On the big stage.... Talent will always shine through... Everyone gives max effort, it's those with ability who deliver.

Our desire to win in that window.... Cost us being contenders for another three years after 2010.... Because
And because we recruited
Howard
Johnson
Polo
Cahill
Connors
Gardiner. C
Cripps
Crocker
Smith. A
Pattison
Smith J
Winmar
Heyne
Begley
Gehrig -Re Drafted 2008
Sweeney
Raymond
Rix
McGough

So true and so so sad.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Great match day coaches would be able to win one prem when given 4 chances
Great match day coaches dont leave your best in and under ball getter on the bench during crunch time in a grannie.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Great match day coaches would be able to win one prem when given 4 chances
Great match day coaches dont leave your best in and under ball getter on the bench during crunch time in a grannie.

Also so true and sad.

His treatment of Ball is one of the reasons I despise Lyon so much.

Mind you I have plenty of other reasons.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

And because we recruited
Howard
Johnson
Polo
Cahill
Connors
Gardiner. C
Cripps
Crocker
Smith. A
Pattison
Smith J
Winmar
Heyne
Begley
Gehrig -Re Drafted 2008
Sweeney
Raymond
Rix
McGough

True on all accounts..

It's funny because it's deja vu right now for Freo and no one seems to see it..

Zac Dawson
Danyle Pearce
Colin Sylvia
Harley Bennell

Playing guys like De Boer and Clancee Pearce in front of young talent and hanging their hat on Pavlich to win them games. They thankfully have Fyfe now but it's all the same story, no premiership and their young talent aren't being played as much as they should except a couple..

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What has this got to do with Gresham???

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The topic digressed

No big deal.... Gresham is looking ok so boring to discuss maybe?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Bluthy"][quote="Goose is king"]Gresham is miles ahead of Templeton. There is no reason he can't play round 1. Hopefully he can come in and contribute like Lewis Taylor did for Brisbane.[/quote]

Er I don't know, maybe because Gresham can only play half a game at at the moment. Him and Holmesy were used as subs after half-time. Sure lets throw him in against one of the hardest running teams in the comp who will know we are underdone and will try to run us off our legs when they are desperate to get off to a good start to atone for last year in the most hostile territory for oppo in the country. Lets try and burn the kid out in Round 1.

VFL BEST: Lee, Goddard, Longer, [b]Curren, Templeton.[/b]
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-1 ... ire-in-vfl[/quote]

Why the hell would he get burned out in round one? The kid has had 10 years of playing full games. 18 year olds don't burnout at the start of the season. Maybe after a few rounds they feel the pinch. Lewis Taylor has played 44 of 44 games
He would of only played half a game because that's all they needed to get into him or because he probably isn't in the best 22. Templeton is not in our best 26. If Templeton could get 15 touches for a match he may be a chance but at AFL he doesn't touch it.
Gresham showed more in that half than Templeton has in any game at AFL level.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:
Why the hell would he get burned out in round one? The kid has had 10 years of playing full games. 18 year olds don't burnout at the start of the season. Maybe after a few rounds they feel the pinch.
He would of only played half a game because that's all they needed to get into him or because he probably isn't in the best 22. Templeton is not in our best 26. If Templeton could get 15 touches for a match he may be a chance but at AFL he doesn't touch it.
Gresham showed more in that half than Templeton has in any game at AFL level.
  • Yeah you've convinced me. Let play Gresham ahead of so many of our other players with multiple year AFL tanks on them because:
  • he's had one preseason at probably something like 40% loading (if that) and two half games of praccie games under his belt
  • has played ok in those two half games (incl. dropping sitters, scuffed kicks)
  • against a potentially top four team
  • in a road trip possibly the most hostile ground in the AFL
  • a team renown for their hard running
  • a team desperate to start well and even get a good percentage boost
  • when we will most probably lose but definetely don't want to cop a shellacking - that would be a mini-disaster - so lets risk an underdone debutant
  • on what will probably be a warm to hot, gruelling day
  • a 177cm player who needs to build up for AFL
  • when we already have lots of underdone players due to the match washout
  • When we have plenty of other fit and ready to go players with good tanks on them that we want to try out
  • when he has potentially 15 years of footy in front of him but lets rush him in in rd1 at all costs
You know what, lets chuck Freeman in as well for Rd 1. Nothing, I mean nothing matters but round 1. Lets risk it all!!!!!!!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

So much drama bluth, I love it... still, I reckon Gresham is more likely than Templeton for round 1.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Needs to build up?

Seriously, if anything he needs to slim down... He has the biggest legs at the club, without a doubt!!!

He ain't skinny

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:So much drama bluth, I love it... still, I reckon Gresham is more likely than Templeton for round 1.
I'm almost certain the Gresh won't play. This will be the first full on practice of the 90 rotations on a probably hot day when we are already behind on match fitness. There are going to be plenty of rubber legs on even the seasoned players when Port will be trying to run us ragged. Its no time to experiment with a debutante who's only played a couple of half games. #protectthegresh.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Needs to build up?

Seriously, if anything he needs to slim down... He has the biggest legs at the club, without a doubt!!!

He ain't skinny
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/new ... d498872538

Wow so huge :roll: I'm sure they've told him to lay off the gym work as he's right to go for AFL just as he is. Its not like young players need to build AFL bodies or anything.

saint-stu
Club Player

Sorry Bluthy, he looks ready. That tackle where he accidentally hurt one of the Melbourne players was really strong for his size.

1ac46a38
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much the same build as Sinclair, and certainly stronger than Lonie

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me, or does Jade's head shot for his club website profile look NQR? His head looks Photo-shopped on, does it not? http://www.saints.com.au/player-profile/jade-gresham

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/new ... d498872538

Wow so huge :roll: I'm sure they've told him to lay off the gym work as he's right to go for AFL just as he is. Its not like young players need to build AFL bodies or anything.
That's just a weird perspective or stretched photo. If you watch him during the game, he doesn't look skinny at all, he has a pretty stocky mature looking body to my eyes.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/jad ... d509744884

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Is it just me, or does Jade's head shot for his club website profile look NQR? His head looks Photo-shopped on, does it not? http://www.saints.com.au/player-profile/jade-gresham
Photoshopped. Same as the other new guys

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Is it just me, or does Jade's head shot for his club website profile look NQR? His head looks Photo-shopped on, does it not? http://www.saints.com.au/player-profile/jade-gresham
Photoshopped, but in this instance the shop it was photoed from was the $2 shop Image

Playon
Club Player

matrix wrote:Great match day coaches would be able to win one prem when given 4 chances
They also play their best full back, I'm still annoyed about that, I wonder if Max would of stopped an extra goal or 2 than Dawson, no need to answer.
Wonder what the result would of been then.
As far as match day tactics Clarko has him covered and then some. I suppose he was tactically better than GT, so I'll give one final hoorah

Unfortunately his bubble wasn't see through, if you're not in it you don't exist

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: And because we recruited
Howard
Johnson
Polo
Cahill
Connors
Gardiner. C
Cripps
Crocker
Smith. A
Pattison
Smith J
Winmar
Heyne
Begley
Gehrig -Re Drafted 2008
Sweeney
Raymond
Rix
McGough

WOW...amazing how Lyon dudded us by being the main man recruiting that lot, particularly all the ones he somehow recruited before he was even appointed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

And because we recruited
Howard
Johnson
Polo
Cahill
Connors
Gardiner. C
Cripps
Crocker
Smith. A
Pattison
Smith J
Winmar
Heyne
Begley
Gehrig -Re Drafted 2008
Sweeney
Raymond
Rix
McGough

I cannot help but agree 100%

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....