Gresham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Gresham

Playing Eddy and McQualter instead of blooding Lynch and even Stanley was ridiculous. Roo would of found it easier on grand final day if Lynch could of demanded a defender man up on him.

amusingname
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:Playing Eddy and McQualter instead of blooding Lynch and even Stanley was ridiculous. Roo would of found it easier on grand final day if Lynch could of demanded a defender man up on him.
Come on now, this is not 2016 Tom Lynch we are talking about, 2010 Tom Lynch was a very different player who had no business anywhere near consideration for a grand final spot. I know we can all see problems retrospectively with Eddy and McQualter, but Tom Lynch or Rhys Stanley for that matter were not difference makers that year by any stretch.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Probably true Amusingname. There definitely were opportunities to gift them another game or two along the way though.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Probably true Amusingname. There definitely were opportunities to gift them another game or two along the way though.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

amusingname wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Playing Eddy and McQualter instead of blooding Lynch and even Stanley was ridiculous. Roo would of found it easier on grand final day if Lynch could of demanded a defender man up on him.
Come on now, this is not 2016 Tom Lynch we are talking about, 2010 Tom Lynch was a very different player who had no business anywhere near consideration for a grand final spot. I know we can all see problems retrospectively with Eddy and McQualter, but Tom Lynch or Rhys Stanley for that matter were not difference makers that year by any stretch.
Judging Eddy's career up to the GF he had no business anywhere near consideration for a grand final spot either.

saint-stu
Club Player

amusingname wrote:I know we can all see problems retrospectively with Eddy and McQualter, but Tom Lynch or Rhys Stanley for that matter were not difference makers that year by any stretch.
Not sure about retrospectively with Eddy. I never understood what Ross saw in him. Mini on the other hand had one really excellent year in 2009, but couldn't back it up.

1ac46a38
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Never had faith in Eddy.

Mini had quite a good year in 2009. McQualter averaged 14.4 possessions per game and kicked 22 goals in 24 matches. Far from terrible and he was very good as a defensive forward.

Still... It's 2016 and this is a thread about a new player eh.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote:
On this point, the 2010 McQualter was a rubbish player.

Don't get me wrong, he had a good season in 2009 and earned his spot... But how he played all bar 1 or 2 games in 2010 with that output boggles my mind to this day.

Posting on here at that time when people were saying "he does his role", "he guards space" and "we sacrificed tomorrow for now" in regards to a player had 2-3 good games for the season and by and large zero impact, probably contributed more to raising my blood pressure then all the fast food i had that year.
The concepts rose coloured glasses and the concept of RL having his favourites were definitively established at that time.

To the top
SS Life Member

Can someone explain to me what a "defensive forward" is and why a "defensive Forward" may be needed?

To me it is a waste of a player - because you are looking for potency and defensive capacities from ALL your mid/small forwards - so why do you need to waste a spot by having a designated "defensive forward"?

The more scoring options you have the better - and, by definition, a defensive forward is there primarily to chase and harass so not to create.

You'll never win me over on any need to have a designated "defensive forward", picked because he is a "defensive forward".

Armitage (started in 2007) and Steven (started in 2009) would have been better options in 2009 because they would have both been dangerous.

Whilst Lyon got us to Grand Finals, he also lost us Grand Finals with his conservative approach to team selection

jays
Club Player

kid looks good in the little time we have seen him

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Can someone explain to me what a "defensive forward" is and why a "defensive Forward" may be needed?

To me it is a waste of a player - because you are looking for potency and defensive capacities from ALL your mid/small forwards - so why do you need to waste a spot by having a designated "defensive forward"?

The more scoring options you have the better - and, by definition, a defensive forward is there primarily to chase and harass so not to create.

You'll never win me over on any need to have a designated "defensive forward", picked because he is a "defensive forward".

Armitage (started in 2007) and Steven (started in 2009) would have been better options in 2009 because they would have both been dangerous.

Whilst Lyon got us to Grand Finals, he also lost us Grand Finals with his conservative approach to team selection
They were injured and had missed fair chunks of the season.

Armo did his knee while Jack had OP

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
To the top wrote:Can someone explain to me what a "defensive forward" is and why a "defensive Forward" may be needed?

They were injured and had missed fair chunks of the season.

Armo did his knee while Jack had OP
And yet going into the finals, David Mission said that minus Raph Clarke we had a full list to choose from.

So what would you prefer? A full game from an Armo or Steven that could pbly have contributed a half before tiring... Or a full game from Mini were most knew he would contribute "guarding space and defensive pressure".

I know my choice

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That's funny... Armitage injured, Steven injured

Both were playing??

Why would the club be allowing Jack to play VFL with OP... Did we mis manage him like

Steven (with lynch) was amongst Sandys best at the end of the year.
Armitage got three Brownlow votes in Round 19

In 2009
Armo should have clearly played

In 2010
Steven should clearly have played

In 2011
Lynch should have played more... Same with Rhys in the ruck

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eddie had a remarkable career. 33 AFL games of which approx 9 were finals covering 3 seasons of finals!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That's funny... Armitage injured, Steven injured

Both were playing??

Why would the club be allowing Jack to play VFL with OP... Did we mis manage him like

Steven (with lynch) was amongst Sandys best at the end of the year.
Armitage got three Brownlow votes in Round 19

In 2009
Armo should have clearly played

In 2010
Steven should clearly have played

In 2011
Lynch should have played more... Same with Rhys in the ruck

This Armitage and Steven shouldn't have played mantra is like how the devil convinced the world he doesn't exist so to speak... the greatest trick/excuse ever made.

The reality is that we chose McQulater over Armitage and Steven over the entire 2015 season - that was part of RL coaching

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

August 2009
After struggling for senior opportunities for much of the year, Armitage collects three Brownlow Medal votes for his 22-disposal, 10-tackle effort in his first game of the year in Round 19.

August 2009
Lays a career-high 13 tackles in St Kilda’s loss to North Melbourne.

September 2009
Is named as an emergency for the Grand Final versus Geelong.

October 2009
Finishes second in Sandringham’s best and fairest award.

Not bad for a guy apparently injured throughout the year.... This injury bull**** is what p66 used to peddle.... It rubbish

He actually injured his knee in 2010

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A supposedly injured Jack Steven finished 5th in Sandringham's b&f in 2009 and played 1 game for StK where he got 14 possessions and a goal vs reigning Hawthorn.

In 2010 Jack missed the first 6 weeks of the season after being injured in the NAB Cup. Returned to play at Sandy and was then promoted to the senior side. He played 8 games as a small fwd and kicked 10 goals, 12ppg 4.5 tackles. And 3 goals in a quarter vs Geelong.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

'Scuse I.

Just jumped in to see what posters' opinions where about Gresham.

Obviously, I am in a time warp, everybody is on about ancient history and a long gone coach. Pardon my intrusion!

Saint supporter since '62
saint-stu
Club Player

Yeh we like Gresh very muchly. Given how good he looks as an 18 year old and assuming Carlisle works out next year an is an elite key backman for us and in the prime age bracket, how are we feeling about the pick 5 trade?

1ac46a38
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Don't go counting chickens.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Yeh we like Gresh very muchly. Given how good he looks as an 18 year old and assuming Carlisle works out next year an is an elite key backman for us and in the prime age bracket, how are we feeling about the pick 5 trade?
By and large I think the Carlisle trade looks pretty good now regardless. especially if the club's report that Gresham was their pick 5 player is true, which unfortunately we'll never quite know.

Ultimately however, the deal hangs on exactly how good Carlisle turns out to be...

If he's a good KPP that gives us say 5-7 years service service then it really comes up trumps...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So are we expecting The Gresh to have as good a debut season as Dunstan did??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
longtimesaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:So are we expecting The Gresh to have as good a debut season as Dunstan did??
We will have a lot of competition for spots this year -if Gresham plays who misses - Ross, Dunston, Acres or Weller?

One year will be our year
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saint-stu wrote:Yeh we like Gresh very muchly. Given how good he looks as an 18 year old and assuming Carlisle works out next year an is an elite key backman for us and in the prime age bracket, how are we feeling about the pick 5 trade?
By and large I think the Carlisle trade looks pretty good now regardless. especially if the club's report that Gresham was their pick 5 player is true, which unfortunately we'll never quite know.

Ultimately however, the deal hangs on exactly how good Carlisle turns out to be...

If he's a good KPP that gives us say 5-7 years service service then it really comes up trumps...
This year was always going to be a write off-I knew that as soon as the WADA suspensions were handed down, two weeks after we had found out that Freeman injured his hamstring again, and Longer had gone in for shoulder surgery. Carlisle may come back initially rusty, but we should get 7 years and 150 games out of him, especially if, with a year off he gets over the knee tendonitis he had. Freeman just needs to get games. If he can play 5-6 senior games and manage to play the rest of the season at Sandringham, then he'll be set up nicely for 2017. It's a big 'if' but fingers crossed.

Gresham really impressed me against Melbourne, he was everywhere. I am hoping that he, Sinclair, McKenzie, Lonie, Billings, Newnes, Dunstan, Acres and Ross can play 15-20 games this year, and that Armo and Steven can stay injury free. I like Hickey as our ruckman, drifting forward as our third marking option, with Riewoldt playing on the wing. Not sold on Membrey, but until Paddy is ready he will have to do since we gave Cripps and Lynch away for a song a few years back.
We have our defence marshals in Fisher, Dempster and Gilbert for 2016, while we wait for Goddard to develop. I like Delaney at FB though, and maybe persist with Lee at CHB, as I suspect that 2 out of Fisher, Dempster and Gilbert will retireat seasons end. Lee and Delaney won't be terrible, and we need to know whether they are worth holding on to after this year. If Lee isn't up to it, it will be (yet) another recruiting failure post-Lyon era, so I'm hoping that he can make it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I hate the idea of Nick playing on the wing... Makes no sense