Gresham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gresham

I can safely say, he will be fine... Very similar to Dunstan in his first year.

But I won't be proclaiming the next Gary Ablett Jnr just yet

Stanley, Siposs, Dunstan, Templeton are examples of some who were overhyped early

Armo, Goddard, Lynch all under hyped early

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan played injured so may have been down graded in some estimates but the guy is a champ.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why would the club play a 19yo injured... Surely a player who runs out on an AFL ground is fit to play?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why would the club play a 19yo injured... Surely a player who runs out on an AFL ground is fit to play?
Luke was advised hevcouldvkeep playing and opted to play on ... His numbers were down but still best 22.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why would the club play a 19yo injured... Surely a player who runs out on an AFL ground is fit to play?
Luke was advised hevcouldvkeep playing and opted to play on ... His numbers were down but still best 22.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
degruch wrote::| How about that kid Gresham, eh what?
He looks great in all aspects except one - his size. Is that going to be an issue long term? Mids are getting bigger and bigger. In five years time they could be huge. Gresham may end up needing to play forward a lot almost in that Rioli half-forward role.
Gresham - 177/74

Apart from Boomer Harvey:

Kieran Jack - 178/75
Dan Hannebury - 181/79
Lachie Neale - 176/79
Gaff - 181/84
Nathan Jones - 180/88
Jack Viney - 178/84
Dylan Shiel - 181/83
Dion Prestia - 175/82
Jamie Elliott - 178/81
Blair - 174/80
Sidebottom - 180/85
Puopolo - 173/78
Rioli - 177/80

and

Sam Mitchell - 179/83

Those names didn't come via an algorithm, just a few who popped into the head (the names, not the attached numbers).

While the contemporary midfielder design is being touted as Fyfe, Cripps, etc, there is still plenty of room for players who can get it (or get it 'back'), keep it, get out and use it. The names above go about it in different ways, have different strengths and weaknesses, but go from OK to superstar.

It's early, but I reckon Gresham might just be able to do all those things well enough to have a very good career. And, I reckon he might have a kicker - a football brain. All have one of sorts, of course, but the list above shows a range of those traits that go to make up a 'football brain', and how effective it is (e.g. spatial awareness, the quickness of signal transmission to physical execution).

When considering the list above, I reckon Gresham may be of a higher football brain. When you consider all that makes up a footballer, it's not hard to conclude from the list above that Sam Mitchell is the least physically capable, yet he is the most successful....which sorta says something about how the brain is the great compensator.

Arguably, as the physical development and maintenance keeps advancing, the brain becomes an even greater differentiator. The physical advances means more complex scenarios need to be negotiated by each individual player. And, the more complexity, the more value the higher brain.

I like the Gresham kiddie and he'll go OK. Looking forward to watching him develop.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
spiral3
Club Player

great post The Other Thommo
it's a bit of a worry that we've taken mostly small mids in recent drafts (Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham) but at least they all have natural football ability and brains
recruiting gazelles isn't a great policy if they can't kick or win a contest

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Height is not an issue for any player who can seriously play

Athletic ability can be an issue

Gresham has huge thighs... Hope they don't slow him down

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry I haven't read through the thread but have we got a nickname for this chap yet? I feel like he's going to appear be in the red, white and black over 250 times so we need a decent nickname for him....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So we played a 19yo who was not fully fit?!

That's good practise by the club.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Dont players have injuries they play through all the time? Riewoldt hasnt had a good knee for five years?

You are garbage - Enough said
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

spiral3 wrote:great post The Other Thommo
it's a bit of a worry that we've taken mostly small mids in recent drafts (Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham) but at least they all have natural football ability and brains
A few quotes from the very recently deceased Johan Cruyff, '3:

“You play football with your head, and your legs are there to help you.”

“Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.”

“I find it terrible when talents are rejected based on computer stats. Based on the criteria at Ajax now I would have been rejected. When I was 15, I couldn’t kick a ball 15 meters with my left and maybe 20 with my right. My qualities technique and vision, are not detectable by a computer.”

“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

“I only decided to become a manager when I was told I couldn’t.”

Lauded as the pioneer of "Total Football" was Cruyff, . Barca are as they are now largely because Cruyff's legacy endures. And, that influence didn't stop at the round ball.

He was also somewhat rare in being a sometimes humorous Dutchman.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We played Luke Ball injured... That was a good idea.

And no, players don't play injured

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
You are going to have to define "injured" then as clearly many players play when not 100% ok.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
BigMart wrote:
You are going to have to define "injured" then as clearly many players play when not 100% ok.
Of course they do.

A definition would be helpful.

You are garbage - Enough said
Darth Vader
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:
spiral3 wrote:great post The Other Thommo
A few quotes from the very recently deceased Johan Cruyff, '3:

“You play football with your head, and your legs are there to help you.”

“Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.”

“I find it terrible when talents are rejected based on computer stats. Based on the criteria at Ajax now I would have been rejected. When I was 15, I couldn’t kick a ball 15 meters with my left and maybe 20 with my right. My qualities technique and vision, are not detectable by a computer.”

“I only decided to become a manager when I was told I couldn’t.”

Lauded as the pioneer of "Total Football" was Cruyff, . Barca are as they are now largely because Cruyff's legacy endures. And, that influence didn't stop at the round ball.

He was also somewhat rare in being a sometimes humorous Dutchman.

Can't stand the Dutch.

saint-stu
Club Player

I would categorise injuries into two types. Those that will get better with rest and those that won't. Nick can either play sore, or never play again.

1ac46a38
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Height is not an issue for any player who can seriously play

Athletic ability can be an issue

Gresham has huge thighs... Hope they don't slow him down
Leigh Matthews had bigger thighs

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spiral3
Club Player

great quotes, will have to use this one :)
The OtherThommo wrote:

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

the way I see it is your physical attributes are the tools of your trade. thick legs? so what, they'll sort themselves out providing the running gets done (think Swan and what super endurance he's had over time, Williams and Matthews the same).

I worry more about Freeman's legs that look so shredded to me it's only a matter of time before they go ping. but this may be my psychological issues playing out here in regard to this particular player and obviously hope it's not the case.

for players like Sinclair, Dunstan, and Gresham who have powerful legs they should be developed and used to the up most as weapons. but obviously to the extent you can cover enough ground to reach the contests and defend adequately (zoned perhaps).

it can pose the question what is more important a player that can run all day and cover the ground to medium impact, or a high impact player without the end to end running capability?

I may be wrong but to me Mitchell seems to waddle between the forward flank and the back flank and not beyond.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches