Ins and outs vs Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: Ins and outs vs Pies

St Chris wrote:In: Minch
Out: Gresham

Gresham has come from Under 18's footy straight to AFL, he needs some time at the step in between (VFL) so the leap in pace in the seniors isn't such a big jump.

We got towelled up by a better opponent - no need to make drastic changes just yet. Give the guys who didn't perform on opportunity to atone.
Sinclairs numbers not as good as Gresham but you still want Gresham out?

1ac46a38
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

saint-stu wrote:

Gresham has come from Under 18's footy straight to AFL, he needs some time at the step in between (VFL) so the leap in pace in the seniors isn't such a big jump.

We got towelled up by a better opponent - no need to make drastic changes just yet. Give the guys who didn't perform on opportunity to atone.
More to it than just numbers. Both had more of it than Lonie, but there aren't pitchforks and lanterns out for him (yet!!)

I wasn't convinced with Sinclair's game, far from it. But the step up in pace has caught Gresham out multiple times, a few weeks in the VFL will allow him to have more impact at a pace closer to what he's experienced in the TAC Cup, then come back to the AFL with a better idea of what to expect.

saint-stu
Club Player

St Chris wrote:
saint-stu wrote:

More to it than just numbers. Both had more of it than Lonie, but there aren't pitchforks and lanterns out for him (yet!!)

I wasn't convinced with Sinclair's game, far from it. But the step up in pace has caught Gresham out multiple times, a few weeks in the VFL will allow him to have more impact at a pace closer to what he's experienced in the TAC Cup, then come back to the AFL with a better idea of what to expect.
This is why I want him to stay in the AFL. He will do well in VFL. He needs to get used to AFL pace and won't get that in the VFL.

1ac46a38
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

saint-stu wrote:
St Chris wrote:
saint-stu wrote:

This is why I want him to stay in the AFL. He will do well in VFL. He needs to get used to AFL pace and won't get that in the VFL.
Totally agree, I just think the jump is too much. He needs time at the midpoint.
I'd hate to see him get in the habit of rushing every disposal and becoming another Saints mid who butchers the footy.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me to see him killing it in a month's time because Richo stuck with him, and he's got the hang of it by then.

He has a big future at the Saints either way.

Playon
Club Player

saint-stu wrote:

Gresham had 12 possessions and 6 of them were clangers, he's not up to it yet and playing him ahead of others was more than wishful thinking

SMS
Club Player

Playon wrote:
saint-stu wrote:

Gresham had 12 possessions and 6 of them were clangers, he's not up to it yet and playing him ahead of others was more than wishful thinking
OMG

GRESHAM needs AFL time to get the pace. He did so mich right and wont be dropped he is a GUN!! Why send him back? Let him adjust and within a month might be rising star. Everyone looks at that handpass ... How about his running into the right position, reading the game perfectly and assisting. WTH. Id be shocked if gresh is dropped.
Drop the players who lacked effort. Dunstan, sinclair and maybe gilbert.

Newnes isnt suspended so for me it should be ...

INS: Minchington, Curren, Acres
OUTS: Sinclair, Dunstan, Gilbert

Richo though may want to punish Acres more in the vfl. He mustve lacked effort against port although for me looked great at times.

lefty
Club Player

Out - Roberton (omit), Newnes (suspension), Gresham (omit - not ready)
In - Lee, Wright, Acres

Roberton isn't lighting the world on fire, neither is Gilbert, and I'd rather see Lee get a go and see what he can do.
Newnes stays if he isn't suspended.
Acres has to come in for Gresham, he is no where near ready. If he was playing for Hawthorn, he wouldn't be in the side. Acres shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

I'd like to get Minchington + Wright in, but can't do too many changes at once.
Also tempted to either get Geary out of the side, or play in the midfield.

One thing with Geary is you never question his effort. He has a tank as well. So I have no idea why the coach doesn't play him in the midfield and put Newnes back into the back line.

And whoever think Roo playing on the wing was a great idea is delusional. It doesn't make any logical sense at all. You don't take a KPP and put him on the wing to run around. Think about it, would you put your CHB on the wing? No.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SMS wrote: Lee is a lost causez. He has amazing potential being 194cm with a beautiful kick and sometimes great mark but he cant handle AFL. Maybe if he changed his 14 year old haircut and got serious. But Lee is a joker and doesnt fully believe he belongs THATs the problem. Hes a boy. Lets bot waste anymore time until he mans up.
This is absolutely spot on. For a mid 20's man, he is very immature and has not got the steely resolve or focus required of an elite AFL player.

IMO, from a recruiting team that ostensibly values personality and leadership abilities as much as skill level, Lee is clearly an oversight when it came to recruiting requirements.

IMO, despite the fact that he is on the fringes as one can be, he still does not truly 'want it'.

How a guy like Adams can come in and demand his spot in a strong WB team as much as he has in 2 matches, where someone like Lee - equal (if not more) ability, size, training/pre season exposure etc is a massive disappointment.

Playon
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Out: Gresham (first year player who simply is not ready for senior AFL footy)

In: Minchington (may or may not be AFL standard but deserves another shot simply by weight of numbers)

Acres, Lee and Membrey to come under consideration, especially if there are injuries/suspensions.

Can't believe anyone seriously wants to drop McCartin after one game back. He got poor service from up field, and in any event, wasn't that bad considering his age and experience. Why would we want to destroy the kid's confidence?
Minchington needs to play midfield, both Ross and Dunstan didnt set the world on fire and both are slow. If we keep persisting with the same structure we'll keep loosing.Were too short down back and we dont have enough pace in the midfield.
Time to mix it up a bit. Id have all those you named come in and theres plenty to choose from for outs, it needs to be known that those efforts we made last week are not acceptable. Stop playing favorites and reward players that are making an effort

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon our coach is under a bit of pressure for the first time at St Kilda.

He dropped Acres, possibly for lack of effort, and yet the team effort vs doggies was less than the previous week.

Richardson has taken a stance, and if he's not consistent he'll lose the players.

Personally, I reckon we need a few bigger blokes in the team. This could be any of Membery, Lee, Acres or even Murdoch. The small guys, Sinclair, Lonie and Greesham can't all expect to be retained.

The best culture will come from rewarding players for good games, and dropping guys for poor games. It aint rocket science.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Changed my mind

Out: Gresham, Ross, Weller, Dunstan, Gilbert, Roberton,

In: Minch, Acres, Curren, Lee, Membrey, Wright

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Surely we need to find out if Lee and Minchington are up to AFL standard. We know they can play at the VFL level. We are way too short down back. The heroics of Dempster and Fisher will only get us so far. Carlisle and Goddard are the obvious replacements, but unavailable and unready for now. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 194 cm bloke down there who can mark and kick? He would be able to go forward as well, if needed. An upgrade on Roberton, if he can get enough of the pill.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
felix
Club Player

I think we can win this one ..bounce back from a big defeat from the dogs .we took it up to Port last week showed some class , we let roo down on his 300th last Saturday .. The timing is right for our first upset of the year. There would have been a lot of soul searching going on this week from the team ..I'll be expecting a huge effort and a good win you our team. .Not convinced about the pies, that loss to Sydney and the loss to Richmond who handed the pies a victory on a platter, that game was absolute crap for skill or system the pies should be two zip as well. Saints by a couple of goals. You better believe it.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:I think we can win this one ..bounce back from a big defeat from the dogs .we took it up to Port last week showed some class , we let roo down on his 300th last Saturday .. The timing is right for our first upset of the year. There would have been a lot of soul searching going on this week from the team ..I'll be expecting a huge effort and a good win you our team. .Not convinced about the pies, that loss to Sydney and the loss to Richmond who handed the pies a victory on a platter, that game was absolute crap for skill or system the pies should be two zip as well. Saints by a couple of goals. You better believe it.
i'm done picking upsets - i'll be happy if we can beat carlton and essendon and melbourne. once each will do me. if we play brissy here i'd like that as well. offer us one win a month and i'll take it!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Losing to the Skunks is not high on my great things to happen for the weekend type of thing.............makes me feel ill at the thought of it. please....just please.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We haven't been 0-3 since 1996 (when we went on to win 10 games). So 20 years since a 0-3 start.
Surely we will coming out firing this week? I have no doubt we will come out firing. The question remains will our endeavour and attack on the man and the ball be enough to overcome our skill deficiencies? And will Collingwood roll over under our pressure?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I dunno why we dropped Acres either. Thought he was showing a bit. But I wouldn't drop Gresh. He got into all the right places, won his own ball, but was overtaken by the speed and the pressure - well he won't learn how to cope with that if we send him back to the twos.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Reviewing the game, Gilbert needs to be dropped. He was ordinary & in our three worst IMO.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:We haven't been 0-3 since 1996 (when we went on to win 10 games). So 20 years since a 0-3 start.
That is an incredible stat considering some of the poor seasons we've had in that time period (2000 and 2014 spoons, 2nd last in 2001 and 2002, 3rd last in 2013)

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Gresh out for Minch. Minch has earned a spot. We also need to be developing these players to an AFL level that may only be depth players. That's what dogs did so well last year. They still have guys like Rovat in the 2's this year. It gives Beveridge a wide range to choose from and gives a great sense of competition

I'm not sure if they will consider Acres has done enough but we could use his ball clearing where we struggled in contested possession. I would put him in instead of Weller. I don't think Weller brought enough to the table. He was good the week before but I never feel he's that threatening with the ball when the pressure it really applied.

I love Dunstan's inside work but he needs to be more damaging around the ground or else his spot will be in jeopardy. WE need all our players to have inside and outside game.

I would like to see Goddard or Lee given a go but not sure they are ready and/or the selectors would have the guts to drop someone to get them in. Maybe a few more games in they might consider them. I don't know about Webster - 13 possessions - did one howler that cost us a goal. Maybe a week off to give someone else a go but I don't think they will.

Gilbo keeps his spot with runs on the board but they won't last forever. I'm still not sure about him as midfielder. He has one good game and then two bad ones.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Gilbo keeps his spot with runs on the board but they won't last forever. I'm still not sure about him as midfielder. He has one good game and then two bad ones.
Runs on the board from 2010?

This was the Australian Test Team in 2010

Katich, Hughes, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Symonds, Watson, Haddin, S Clark, Lee, Hauritz

All retired.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
Runs on the board from 2010?

This was the Australian Test Team in 2010

Katich, Hughes, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Symonds, Watson, Haddin, S Clark, Lee, Hauritz

All retired.
He was in our best 4 or 5 in round 1 does that not count?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
SMS wrote: Lee is a lost causez. He has amazing potential being 194cm with a beautiful kick and sometimes great mark but he cant handle AFL. Maybe if he changed his 14 year old haircut and got serious. But Lee is a joker and doesnt fully believe he belongs THATs the problem. Hes a boy. Lets bot waste anymore time until he mans up.
This is absolutely spot on. For a mid 20's man, he is very immature and has not got the steely resolve or focus required of an elite AFL player.

IMO, from a recruiting team that ostensibly values personality and leadership abilities as much as skill level, Lee is clearly an oversight when it came to recruiting requirements.

IMO, despite the fact that he is on the fringes as one can be, he still does not truly 'want it'.

How a guy like Adams can come in and demand his spot in a strong WB team as much as he has in 2 matches, where someone like Lee - equal (if not more) ability, size, training/pre season exposure etc is a massive disappointment.
Biggest load of crap I have read by anyone on here for a long time.

Lee was the best leader both on and off the field on Saturday at Willi. Was directing the defence when on the field, and when off was very vocal, talking to the players coming off, giving them advice, and being extremely proactive.

You two don't know what you are on about. He may not make it but don't make crap up about him personally. :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said
spert
Saintsational Legend

One of the things that seems to be showing is the lack of leadership over the last two games- we were directionless in the last quarter against PA, and our senior players didn't lead or lift to the occasion. Against the Dogs, we had a small cameo from Roo, but none of the experienced players really lifted, if anything they went the other way and there was no really inspirational play to lift the team- no good for the young players.

I think Lee should probably be in the team as we have a gap between very inexperienced and very experienced, and need that extra mature player who can be useful either end of the ground, show some leadership to younger players- and his skills wouldn't hurt either.

I have a strong suspicion that Richo has a template for the player he wants, and some of the guys who should be coming on as players are getting left out of the equation for whatever reason, and value to the team as a footballer, seems to be second place to whatever attributes, or values Richo is looking for. I feel he is looking for the perfection before senior selection is considered and I have no doubt this is probably causing some frustration to guys who are trying to crack it for a senior game but keep getting overlooked.

As a developing team showing promise last year, we should not be bottom of the ladder after round two -something is not working and it needs to be fixed and I think pressure will be mounting on the football dept if we put up an poor show against the Pies. As it stands now, basically Richo needs to get the team kicking bigger scores, and keeping the opposition scoring down, as well as getting more of the ball as a team, and then we will be competitive. He has a lot of homework to do to make this happen and in his third season, he really needs to make it happen.

Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:Changed my mind

Out: Gresham, Ross, Weller, Dunstan, Gilbert, Roberton,

In: Minch, Acres, Curren, Lee, Membrey, Wright
Crickey Dragit, that's a lot of changes!! There were plenty of ordinary performances on the weekend and the opposition was white hot as well so it's hard to know what to do...certainly plenty of candidates could be dropped and explained as well, but it's a tricky one because in 2 years, we haven't really made wholesale changes barring injury.

For mine, acres comes in for Gilbert (Gilbert was no worse than a few others, but like Farren, for me if fisher dempster roberton Steven and Armo are fit, there's enough age/experience in the back half/middle imp of course. Surely acres 'needs' games, he looks the most likely to be a real impact player with his height, leap and size other than JB of course.

Minchington in for either Sinclair or Gresham. Not sold on either. Lonie has stacks of runs on the board IMO and will be an A grader I'm very confident of that!!

Would like to find a spot for Membrey, I believe Mcartin needs games so even though he was ordinary, he just needs to play...can anyone find a sport for Membrey?

Otherwise, think we actually were pretty gutsy on Saturday, yes we played poorly and the dogs were hot, but we did keep trying and never gave it away, a tick in my book in regards to more maturity in the list, don't forget, the doggies annihilated tge dockers as well!

Plenty of positives, another solid injury free game from billings, roo will be better for another run ala Mcartin, newnes looks to have taken a real step forward ( maybe a year later than most thought he would), the way we hung in really tough to 1/2 time despite butchering it, that took some team ticker against razor sharp opposition...we just didn't convert some really juicy opportunities to put some scoreboard pressure on that could have made a massive difference to team confidence at crucial stages, so put that down to a learning experience.

Looking forward to a chance to redeem ourselves this Saturday and hopefully break a 6 year magpie hoodoo!!!
All IMO of course!