Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpires

SaintPav wrote:What was the free against Acres for?
Incorrect disposal.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I always thought that any contact to the head, even accidental contact, was a free kick.
If so, can someone please explain how Geary gets knocked out by an accidental shoulder to the head and the umpire calls 'play on'?
The same reason Sam Mitchell went off bleeding from the eye and didn't get a free.
Head clash with Weller. Quite different. Who should get the free? Both hit high. Accidental doesn't apply to any other decisions. Is it a free when you accidentally hit a players head whilst trying to spoil?

Saintsational Legend

interesting read over on BF..just about every oppo supporter agrees we got dudded bigtime.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I listened to the game via ABC radio.

They described the umpiring decisions against us as "criminal".

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

The Geary thing is never a free kick, unfortunate accident

The leg slide at the end is paid all the time and so it should be, no problem there

The one that got me is the Acres incorrect disposal, the umpire was blind sided so could not be certain that he didn't hand ball. Every game that happens dozens of times without getting paid, so why suddenly pluck that one

The thing that Hawthorn have done for years is throw the ball out of tackles and packs, they play the game like rugby union. Mitchell will get tackled and then literally push the ball away from his body into space (in other words a throw)

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Joffa 5
Club Player

roskilde wrote:
Is Leigh Fisher over compensating in ruling against us due to the fact he's a former Saint?.
This is blatantly obvious. It's a reverse conflict of interest, Leigh Fisher should never be allowed to officiate a Saints game... Ever

Apples
Club Player

Who are we trying to kid, AFL umpires advisor will come out Monday and say we have reviewed the game and all decisions were warranted. It's this constant denial by those in charge and the umpires coach saying we don't have a problem that prevents umpires actually being accountable and inturn working to improve their performances. And yes, this forum is right, Leigh Fisher should never umpire a St Kilda game again, he just cannot bring it upon himself to pay a free to the Saints

Club Player

Watching a station called Australia + in Siem Reap , Eddie Maguire commented on the controversial free kicks against the Saints - maybe the powers that be will have to respond, if criticism makes it all the way here!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Fisher was okay.
The villain is Andrew Stephens from Queensland. Back to the NEAFL for you dud!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
suss
Club Player

Just in case you think it's you, it's not, we actually do get screwed by the umpires more than any club:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-geelon ... nzuj4.html

They hate us, have done for years, and I have no idea why.

gurubob101
Club Player

Who do we need to contact to get something done about unacceptable umpiring performances like today? Surely there is a way we can get our message across to the powers that be without leaving the club to take the fall?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Umpires, schmumpires.....

Richo after the game :

"We shot ourselves in the foot"

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-04-1 ... foot-richo

"Asked about the impact of a controversial umpiring decision that cost his side a goal in the final term when Leigh Montagna’s kick-in was ruled not to have travelled the required 15m and the Hawks forced a turnover, Richardson said the call had been questionable but refused to use it as an excuse for the loss.
“There was a costly one for us late when the game was decided by three points,” he said.
“It’s hard to know, the umpire is closer, it certainly wasn’t an issue that cost us the game.
“Our play was strong enough to give us the opportunity (to win)… it wasn’t umpiring decisions although that one, it was close, I just presumed it was a mark but then it got called play on.”

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Well I'm shocked truely shocked.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Apples wrote:Who are we trying to kid, AFL umpires advisor will come out Monday and say we have reviewed the game and all decisions were warranted. It's this constant denial by those in charge and the umpires coach saying we don't have a problem that prevents umpires actually being accountable and inturn working to improve their performances. And yes, this forum is right, Leigh Fisher should never umpire a St Kilda game again, he just cannot bring it upon himself to pay a free to the Saints
Even if they review it and come out and say they stuffed up still means nothing we still lose. Changes nothing.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:...The one that got me is the Acres incorrect disposal, the umpire was blind sided so could not be certain that he didn't hand ball. Every game that happens dozens of times without getting paid, so why suddenly pluck that one...
Incorrect. It was umpire 28 (Troy Pannell) who paid the free, and he was five metres away on the boundary line. The other umpire ( No 12 Andrew Stephens) only came in to set the mark. Blake is weak in the tackle and lets the ball fall. He will get better with time as he adds more strength ( I hope). The only thing that I can say about the incident is that there was an element of the tackle contributing to the ball loss. I some instances this will lead to a "play on" call. However, it looked bad.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I always thought that any contact to the head, even accidental contact, was a free kick.
If so, can someone please explain how Geary gets knocked out by an accidental shoulder to the head and the umpire calls 'play on'?
The same reason Sam Mitchell went off bleeding from the eye and didn't get a free.
Thanks kosi, but I believe Mitchell's was a result of a head clash.
Pendelbury got one in the first quarter last week when he dipped his body forward and ran in head first into our player.
Like so may rules this one seems to be determined inconsistently (at the very least).

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The Mitchell and Geary ones were both accidental head contact. If you pay those, players will be throwing their heads at opponents all over the ground.

The Pendlebury one was totally different. That was just a high tackle. It shouldn't have been a free either as he ducked into it.

The umpires made enough mistakes in the last quarter (15m, bump on Rioli, advantage called back) without picking out random incidents.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Umpires, schmumpires.....

Richo after the game :

"Asked about the impact of a controversial umpiring decision that cost his side a goal in the final term when Leigh Montagna’s kick-in was ruled not to have travelled the required 15m and the Hawks forced a turnover, Richardson said the call had been questionable but refused to use it as an excuse for the loss.
“There was a costly one for us late when the game was decided by three points,” he said.
“It’s hard to know, the umpire is closer, it certainly wasn’t an issue that cost us the game.
“Our play was strong enough to give us the opportunity (to win)… it wasn’t umpiring decisions although that one, it was close, I just presumed it was a mark but then it got called play on.”
First class response. We won't get any better by blaming the umpires.

Still, we were screwed by the maggots.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
st.byron wrote:Umpires, schmumpires.....

Richo after the game :

First class response. We won't get any better by blaming the umpires.

Still, we were screwed by the maggots.
This.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:The Mitchell and Geary ones were both accidental head contact. If you pay those, players will be throwing their heads at opponents all over the ground.

The Pendlebury one was totally different. That was just a high tackle. It shouldn't have been a free either as he ducked into it.

The umpires made enough mistakes in the last quarter (15m, bump on Rioli, advantage called back) without picking out random incidents.
Thanks.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Apples wrote:Who are we trying to kid, AFL umpires advisor will come out Monday and say we have reviewed the game and all decisions were warranted. It's this constant denial by those in charge and the umpires coach saying we don't have a problem that prevents umpires actually being accountable and inturn working to improve their performances. And yes, this forum is right, Leigh Fisher should never umpire a St Kilda game again, he just cannot bring it upon himself to pay a free to the Saints
That is not exactly correct - in a game against Collingwood at the MCG in 2012 a review found that there had definitely been incorrect decisions made, including the one which would have seen us draw the match, which probably cost us a place in that years finals.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I think they also said they got 2 wrong in the 2009GF - a goal that hit the post and a missed holding decision in the last quarter (to Adam, who was 20m out, which probably meant he was no certainty on the day.) Both decisions correctly paid, and with full conversion in the latter - we win.

I love the saints!
Club Player

Of course that would be Richo's response. He does not want to be fined or look like he is blaming the umpiring even though they screwed us. As for the 2009 GF I have two words. Shaun Ryan.

In STKFC we trust.
longtimesaint
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:
Even if they review it and come out and say they stuffed up still means nothing we still lose. Changes nothing.
You need to be Fremantle to get the result overturned on the following Tuesday!

One year will be our year
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm dirty on the umpires for their decisions in that final quarter. However, I'm even more angry and disappointed by the things that WE did yesterday that contributed to a gut-wrenching loss. Turnovers by Saints players led to four Hawks goals at least. Just ONE clanger less and the win was ours. Now, THAT'S what is hurting me right at this moment.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)