Blake Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Blake Acres

Break out game for him.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He looked like he belonged today. Knew when and where to run, plus pulled some rabbits out of the hat today as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
older saint
SS Life Member

Really good game by Acres, challenge now is to develop some consistency in performance which allows him to build other parts of his game when things not going his way.
Not sure what to make of him yet, is he the next Daniel Healy or the next Nicky Dal?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Really good game by Acres, challenge now is to develop some consistency in performance which allows him to build other parts of his game when things not going his way.
Not sure what to make of him yet, is he the next Daniel Healy or the next Nicky Dal?
This post made me curious so I just realised Healy played 38 AFL games and then won 5 SANFL flags including 4 as Captain. Certainly no slouch.

BUT

Healy didnt debut in the AFL until he was 22yo 2 months. He was drafted at 21y 6 months.

Acres is still only 20y 7 months now so it is fair to say Acres is a long way ahead of Healy. Acres will have played at least 30 AFL games before the age at which Healy was even drafted.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 30 Apr 2016 8:39pm, edited 2 times in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Best game for us by far. I just hope that he uses this to take another step up.

He looks a lot fitter than last year, so his outright pace did not seem too slow.

Yes, another Lenny - all he needs is the side-step !

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Better than Lenny ! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Better than Lenny ! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

20yo, 190cm and still baby faced. Could be a monster at 25. Already fairly strong in a tackle but in 5 years who is going to tackle him?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Loping, languid and laconic -what's not to like?

Helps that he can play.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
George27
Club Player

The comparisons with early-Lenny are legitimate. As has been pointed out in the Petracca thread , Blake is very young for his draft year- born 7 Oct. Lenny, as with Petracca, is a January birth. Also in his first couple of seasons, before he perfected his superb side-step, Lenny did get caught a lot. So right now, at 20 years and 7 months, Blake might be right up there with Lenny of the same age. Of course, Lenny got the sidestep going, became a tackling machine, and with a supreme work ethic became one of the best ( and best-loved ) Saints ever. So a long way to go, but for tonight at least we can dream well !

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:20yo, 190cm and still baby faced. Could be a monster at 25. Already fairly strong in a tackle but in 5 years who is going to tackle him?

Same height as plugger. :lol:

older saint
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
older saint wrote:Really good game by Acres, challenge now is to develop some consistency in performance which allows him to build other parts of his game when things not going his way.
This post made me curious so I just realised Healy played 38 AFL games and then won 5 SANFL flags including 4 as Captain. Certainly no slouch.

BUT

Healy didnt debut in the AFL until he was 22yo 2 months. He was drafted at 21y 6 months.

Acres is still only 20y 7 months now so it is fair to say Acres is a long way ahead of Healy. Acres will have played at least 30 AFL games before the age at which Healy was even drafted.

More to do with the style of play, loping taller mid with good kick. For whatever reason Healy never really reached potential in AFL level, shown by dominant performances in SANFL IMO.

Acres being younger has moocher upside and is in a much more professional environment in AFL than even 115-20 years ago

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

BUT

More to do with the style of play, loping taller mid with good kick. For whatever reason Healy never really reached potential in AFL level, shown by dominant performances in SANFL IMO.

Acres being younger has moocher upside and is in a much more professional environment in AFL than even 115-20 years ago
No no I liked it. Daniel Healy was a very good call. Good memory. Healy was certainly no slouch just couldnt crack it in the AFL for whatever reason.
Jury still out. Acres might become a Healy or a Lenny or something in between. If he keeps working hard and doesnt get injured - then fingers crossed he goes down the path of Lenny.

saintbob
SS Life Member

We've got to pump games into this kid, could be anything!!