Team v Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Team v Eagles

WCoast v StKilda
Butler, McGinnity, Bennell, Cole in for Jetta.
Roberton, Pierce, Murdoch, Templeton, Sinclair in for Fisher, Minchington.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Eagles

kosifantutti wrote:WCoast v StKilda
Thanks kosi,

Fisher out and no tall back. Mmmmm??

IMHO its Roberton & Sinclair in for the two outs.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:WCoast v StKilda
Interesting to see Lewie Pierce get some recognition - methinks he's showing some good signs, and might be developing at a reasonable rate for a pick 60 odd big type who is still only......whatever he is.....young, anyway.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Jetta has been poor the eagles but Im still counting it as a win for us.

So final team would have to be roberton and sinclair in, you would think.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It gives me no joy to say it but I don't think we will ever see the Minch in a Saints jumper again.

Look at these names:

Billings
Sinclair
Freeman
Gresham
Lonie
Dunstan
Templeton
O'Kearney

All smalls. All younger than Minch.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

WTF with the defenders? So Roberton has to step up as a key defender, that he hasn't really done before (more that floating tall rebounding back) when he's coming back from injury. That seems crazy to me. Is Pierce going to be a floating back to help and relief ruck or something otherwise I really worry we will get torn apart at the back with WC talls. This was the perfect oppo to use Goddard or Lee. Not even as an emergency is bizzare. What if Roberton pulls up sore in the workout??

I don't get what Richo is doing with the backline at all. Is this an indication that Roberton is pencilled in to be a key defender and that want him to get a taste? Signe, Confused.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:WTF with the defenders? So Roberton has to step up as a key defender, that he hasn't really done before (more that floating tall rebounding back) when he's coming back from injury. That seems crazy to me. Is Pierce going to be a floating back to help and relief ruck or something otherwise I really worry we will get torn apart at the back with WC talls. This was the perfect oppo to use Goddard or Lee. Not even as an emergency is bizzare. What if Roberton pulls up sore in the workout??

I don't get what Richo is doing with the backline at all. Is this an indication that Roberton is pencilled in to be a key defender and that want him to get a taste? Signe, Confused.
Don't worry about what he's doing because he knows what he's doing

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What's up with Fisher?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:It gives me no joy to say it but I don't think we will ever see the Minch in a Saints jumper again.

Look at these names:

Billings
Sinclair
Freeman
Gresham
Lonie
Dunstan
Templeton
O'Kearney

All smalls. All younger than Minch.
Don't go too early!

Legendary
Club Player

Have a look at the Eagles forward line though:

Kennedy - Gilbert
Darling - Roberton
Cripps - Geary
LeCras - Dempster

If Natinui/Lycett push forward, we could be exposed. And yes, it's a big ask for Gilbo. But if we play two ruckmen to match Natinui/Lycett, then we are probably better off with the extra small down back...

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Don't worry about what he's doing because he knows what he's doing
So he's incapable of error? Wow we sure got lucky getting the only sporting coach in the world not to make an error. I think they screwed the pooch this week. Who gets the biggest defender - Demps at 190 - or Roberton who has not played as a key defender before. Scary.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:WTF with the defenders? So Roberton has to step up as a key defender, that he hasn't really done before (more that floating tall rebounding back) when he's coming back from injury. That seems crazy to me. Is Pierce going to be a floating back to help and relief ruck or something otherwise I really worry we will get torn apart at the back with WC talls. This was the perfect oppo to use Goddard or Lee. Not even as an emergency is bizzare. What if Roberton pulls up sore in the workout??

Might have to be an option with pierce. Eagles 2nd ruck Lycett is no slouch in the forward line and we definitely do not have the guys down back to cover him at 202cm along with the rest of their fowardline

Saint wagga
Club Player

Looks like we are going for a very mobile running defence!! We will need every bit of the team defence to work to neutralise the big forwards. pierce could play if roo doesn't come up? Otherwise reckon it'll be Sinclair for Minch and robbbo for chips...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I guess they are managing Fisher.

I'm thinking they are taking Pierce just for the experience travelling. Cant really see him playing.

Obviously Roberton in, and I daresay Sinclair.

I was looking forward to watching Templeton at Sandy on Saturday.

I don't really want to question selection after the Melbourne game. They know what they are doing....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:What's up with Fisher?
St Kilda has brought five players into its 25-man squad to face West Coast at Domain Stadium on Sunday, with Sam Fisher ruled out of the trip to Western Australia due to soreness.

Saints Coach Alan Richardson has brought Dylan Roberton (knee) and Jack Sinclair (calf) back into the preliminary squad after overcoming injury, and rewarded Brodie Murdoch, Eli Templeton and Lewis Pierce for strong form in the VFL.

Midfielder-forward Darren Minchington is the only other confirmed out at this stage, with the Saints omitting the 22-year-old from the travelling party.

All five inclusions have been named on an extended bench with the final team confirmed on Friday afternoon before departing early Saturday morning for Sunday’s twilight clash against last year’s grand finalists.

If selected, ruckman Pierce will make his debut, three and a half years after being drafted by the Saints. The 21-year-old has taken significant steps forward with his development in the early part of this season, producing a standout fortnight with Sandringham, splitting his time in the ruck and deep forward

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-05-1 ... west-coast

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Don't worry about what he's doing because he knows what he's doing
So he's incapable of error? Wow we sure got lucky getting the only sporting coach in the world not to make an error. I think they screwed the pooch this week. Who gets the biggest defender - Demps at 190 - or Roberton who has not played as a key defender before. Scary.
No but he knows so much more than any supporter

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
No, he's not incapable of error, just knows more about the strengths and weaknesses of our team than you do

jays
Club Player

dont know about another ruck think we just back hickey and go for speed

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

and as far as St Kilda is concerned Richo is the messiah!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
No but he knows so much more than any supporter
Agree

#gosaintas
Club Player

All coaches know more than the supporters, they have never made errors.

Lynch is going well at Adelaide but Rossy knew best because guess what...he was the coach. Supporters who are too scared to question the coach are pussies.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No Paddy. No tall defenders. No surprises.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Hope we see Paddy against Essendon, it'd be great if he kicked 5

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Hope we see Paddy against Essendon, it'd be great if he kicked 5
An easy kill. Yes, that could be a confidence builder and they probably didn't want to throw him in against the flat track bullies on their home turf.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Hope we see Paddy against Essendon, it'd be great if he kicked 5
Maybe he needs to kick 5 in the VFL before trying to do it at AFL level.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!