I'm not convinced about Al....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm not convinced about Al....

BigMart wrote:Starts in the middle

We were slaughtered
I agree. Gilbert was probably our best last week in a midfield role. So we play him on a monster forward and, guess what, it's lose/lose. All over in 15 minutes.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
tony74 wrote:
bigred wrote:We are shallow down back and there really is not that much there to bring in.

Delaney is having an average few weeks in the magoos, as is Goddard truth be told.

You have to ask the question though, would it have been any worse if one had of come up to do a job?

This game was three steps backwards for us and undid a lot of good work.
I can assure you last week hurt them a lot more than today. You may think that makes out the players to be heartless and not playing for the jumper. Totally wrong, they're very pissed off about the performance today but last week they were devastated. Both physically and mentally. And very, very sore.
Judge the club in a months time.
Tony a coach and playing group shoudnt be picking and chosing when they turn up, nor should a loss the week before be an excuse for a 100pt thrashing. Thats a pretty fragile environment they have created...
Spot on Red

saint4life
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:What sort of thread is this?

Would you prefer Mark Williams? because that was the choice.
Lets go back to Scott Watters and ask him if he would be interested in coming back?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
bigred wrote:We are shallow down back and there really is not that much there to bring in.

Delaney is having an average few weeks in the magoos, as is Goddard truth be told.

You have to ask the question though, would it have been any worse if one had of come up to do a job?

This game was three steps backwards for us and undid a lot of good work.
I can assure you last week hurt them a lot more than today. You may think that makes out the players to be heartless and not playing for the jumper. Totally wrong, they're very pissed off about the performance today but last week they were devastated. Both physically and mentally. And very, very sore.
Judge the club in a months time.
I really wouldn't stick your foot in it. They should be ashamed of their effort today. 3 goals in a game is a bloody disgrace. Like Allan Jeans said, you can boil them, yo can fry them or you can curry them it was still a loss - a disgraceful one at that. That's some record that the club has to live with. Nothing to be proud of there.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:OK, I'll play "Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck, I'm afraid of toasters"

Puzzling. Obscure. Quirky. Need a like button.

gone fission
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Might turn it around, but doesn't cop ANY criticism, ever....players cop it plenty
Incredible really, seems untouchable to most fans while sporting a terrible record…

12 wins from 52 matches - equal 18th with Leppitsch.

He's had a pretty ordinary list but he'll need to start winning games consistently in the next 18 months.

The favourites policy goes under the radar when the side plays well, but we look pretty amateur-hour when we are slaughtered without replacing key position players in the side.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah the heat is starting to rise a little bit now for Richo as supporter standards go up. If this was last year, yeah you cop a 100 pt loss. But its his third year, he's had access to 3 years of high picks including those from trading some stalwarts out. Yet he's persisted with a lot of oldies including playing Schneider off the rookie list for a whole season. Is that being brave at the selection table the way he wants his players to play with dare?

Could there be some angst in the ranks from the likes of Minch, Lee, Curren, Eli, Murdoch, Goddard, Longer, Paddy etc rotting away in the 2's? Has Richo fully embraced that we are still a developing team or did he think we were a sneaky chance of playing finals this year? He's got to keep looking at the future and not get sucked into over-rating your list and thinking you just need to tinker a bit.

Tactically I thought it was a disaster yesterday. We didn't even take over an emergency tall in case someone got injured in the warm up. And when it went pair shaped we had few options to stop the WC bigs. You've got to give yourself a plan B and plan C and not bank everything on a particular tactic. WC shut down all our key player makers and then just bashed us up. I didn't see a lot of moves from Richo to mix things up ie Joey on ball, Acres forward etc Just something to break the spell.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Hilarious thread!! 2 weeks ago we were blaming Ports demise on Richardson leaving now after one bad performance he's no good. Champagne comedy, keep it up guys!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I'm not concerned about Al....

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
#gosaintas
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:Hilarious thread!! 2 weeks ago we were blaming Ports demise on Richardson leaving now after one bad performance he's no good. Champagne comedy, keep it up guys!!
There is nothing wrong with questioning the selection policy. Richo doesn't believe in KPD'ers and some supporters disagree. He likes a slow, old, short and poorly skilled backline. Dempster, Geary, Gilbert, Roberton and Fisher are slow, old, short and poorly skilled. None are the future of the club. We are one of the bottom sides. We need low draft picks. They are all walk up starts yet in the seconds are replacements for all of them. Makes little sense.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Hilarious thread!! 2 weeks ago we were blaming Ports demise on Richardson leaving now after one bad performance he's no good. Champagne comedy, keep it up guys!!
Whats ridiculous is these straw man extremist counter-arguments "Oh Richo is no good...lets sack him and and the board...the sky is falling". Do you really think Richo is the perfect coach? No there is no such beast. So people are trying to dig beneath the surface a bit and see if they can spot some fault lines. Yesterday was really, really disappointing.

This issues around an aging poor kicking backline that Richo refuses to try out young players in, a midfield that is looking like lacking a lot of class compared to our flag competitors and our tendency to be all up or all down are genuine issues.

Whilst I like the system Richo is putting in place, tactically I wasn't impressed by Richo' yesterday. The best coaches can make changes in game to alter things when its going against them - that's an inherent gut instinct of the best coaches to analyse the game on the fly and pull out match-changing moves or tactics. I didn't see that from Richo yesterday. Doesn't mean it can't come but I would love to see a game that is going against us and Richo pulls some clever moves. AT the moment he seems to rely on motivating them at qtr and half times to put more pressue on. Thats all good of course but you want a cleverer system and tactics than your oppo to give your players an advantage. Thats the huge advantage Hawks players have. They can play 90% and still win.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
There is nothing wrong with questioning the selection policy. Richo doesn't believe in KPD'ers and some supporters disagree. He likes a slow, old, short and poorly skilled backline. Dempster, Geary, Gilbert, Roberton and Fisher are slow, old, short and poorly skilled. None are the future of the club. We are one of the bottom sides. We need low draft picks. They are all walk up starts yet in the seconds are replacements for all of them. Makes little sense.
Replacements in the seconds? You mean A replacement in the seconds...Lee is going fine.

I don't back the notion we should be throwing games for low draft picks.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am with Bluthy on this. The coach clearly over rates some of our older players and has been deluding himself that we could sneak in to the 8 this year. Do Gilbert and Geary really need to be picked automatically every single week? Why?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am with Bluthy on this. The coach clearly over rates some of our older players and has been deluding himself that we could sneak in to the 8 this year. Do Gilbert and Geary really need to be picked automatically every single week? Why?
Both pretty good the last 3 weeks prior...crap this week. Who replaces them?

#gosaintas
Club Player

Gilbert needs to play mid/hff
Geary replaced by DMAC
One of Lee/Goddard must play

Insane to leave Fisher out of an undersized backline and not replace him

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:
Roberton is only 24!!!! He also got 24 possessions and 6 rebound 50s in his first game back, If it wasn't for Fisher and Dempster this year we would have been lucky to win a game and Gilbert has had one stinker (this week). The only tall defender to show VFl form to warrant a game is Lee. goddard has shown nothing at all this year, delaney is done.
As for running defenders, well Dmac and Wright have been patchy and both are struggling with their kicking, Murdoch is a good kick but he is slower than any of the names mentioned above and hasn't developed a tank.

#gosaintas
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Roberton is only 24!!!! He also got 24 possessions and 6 rebound 50s in his first game back, If it wasn't for Fisher and Dempster this year we would have been lucky to win a game and Gilbert has had one stinker (this week). The only tall defender to show VFl form to warrant a game is Lee. goddard has shown nothing at all this year, delaney is done.
As for running defenders, well Dmac and Wright have been patchy and both are struggling with their kicking, Murdoch is a good kick but he is slower than any of the names mentioned above and hasn't developed a tank.

So you agree with selection then. Good for you. Gilbert plays a stinker every time he's selected as a KPD. Anyway you obviously agree with Richo that no KPD'ers are necessary in modern football. I disagree.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Lets go back to Scott Watters and ask him if he would be interested in coming back?
He wouldn't be; I think we burnt him.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:

So you agree with selection then. Good for you. Gilbert plays a stinker every time he's selected as a KPD. Anyway you obviously agree with Richo that no KPD'ers are necessary in modern football. I disagree.
Ahh, another poster who cant read english!! Where did I mention that key position players aren't important? If you bother to read what I wrote, I said that only Lee has shown any form that warranted being selected, being tall should never be the reason for being picked.
I personally cant wait to have Carlisle available for selection next year. By the way, do you honestly believe that Lee, Goddard or any other key defender could have prevented the first quarter carnage? Our midfield were disgraceful in the first 20 minutes.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Our midfield were disgraceful, as were our backline. Undersized, poorly skilled and quick to panic and crab sideways or retreat. Of course Lee wouldn't have changed the outcome but with that logic, why bother selecting a fwd line either because it's only midfield that matters. Why are we the only side to not play KPD'ers when we have them playing for Sandy? Selection is an issue. No side selects zero KPD'ers when there are fit players in that mould in the twos. Even u think Lee's form warranted selection. Goddard should also be in the ones. Especially with Fisher rested. Dumb selections. Again.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
magnifisaint wrote: Lets go back to Scott Watters and ask him if he would be interested in coming back?
it wasn't him... #11 hired a short stature'd individual to run around at a mad monday.

Then Clint Jones set him on fire. So technically, we didn't actually burn Watters.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
it wasn't him... #11 hired a short stature'd individual to run around at a mad monday.

Then Clint Jones set him on fire. So technically, we didn't actually burn Watters.
Either way it was only a scrub fire.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Great coach when we win.

Crap coach when we lose.

Glass half full.

Glass half empty.

#gosaintas
Club Player

HitTheBoundary wrote:Great coach when we win.

Crap coach when we lose.

Glass half full.

Glass half empty.
You miss the point. He's been wrong all year with his backline selections. Win, lose or draw...he's wrong. A backline of panic merchants, lead by Geary, Dempster, Gilbert, Fisher and Roberton is crazy. Undersized, poorly skilled and with an average age of 29. Play some...sometimes. But for them all to be walk up starts is puzzling.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I know we were dreadful yesterday, but we've put in too many spirited displays to be worried. Still a young team.

I remember we got absolutely demolished by then in 2003. We were better in 2004.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.