Team v Bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Bombers

The_President wrote:Richo was on MMM this morning.
Safe to say Paddy will play this week
Interesting I wonder how we will set up?

Bruce hasnt reached the heights of last year I dont know why AR doesnt rotate him through defence at times? AR is such a 'stayed in his thinking' coach we should never expect moves akin to Clarkson or Blight from him I suppose?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Now I am confused.

No change to the team named with the 4 included all named on the interchange bench from which Lonie has been excluded.

The 3 Emergencies taken to Perth have been excluded - including Pierce for Holmes who I understand had just 3 possessions in the VFL last week.

Similarly Mc Kenzie replaces Murdoch.

There must be some players wondering what is going on.

You would think that the 3 Emergencies taken to Perth would be the next cabs off the rank.
No, if they are held in reserve again , as they must, they miss too much football.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

Bruce hasnt reached the heights of last year I dont know why AR doesnt rotate him through defence at times? AR is such a 'stayed in his thinking' coach we should never expect moves akin to Clarkson or Blight from him I suppose?
IMO, AR is clearly a regimented coach who is stuck in his processes, and will take no risks even if all crumbles around him, similar to Lyon in some respects, though Lyon's game plan did have some success, I don't see any plan with AR, and it's probably why he won't be a premiership coach. He is clearly a very good assistant and development coach, but I don't believe he has the X-Factor which will take us the next step.
Bruce is not quite getting into the game enough and it would do no harm to rotate him through the backline this season, especially since the coach clearly hates Lee (possibly disposal by foot is too good)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:

IMO, AR is clearly a regimented coach who is stuck in his processes, and will take no risks even if all crumbles around him, similar to Lyon in some respects, though Lyon's game plan did have some success, I don't see any plan with AR, and it's probably why he won't be a premiership coach. He is clearly a very good assistant and development coach, but I don't believe he has the X-Factor which will take us the next step.
Bruce is not quite getting into the game enough and it would do no harm to rotate him through the backline this season, especially since the coach clearly hates Lee (possibly disposal by foot is too good)

Maybe we are tanking?

Saint wagga
Club Player

From the presser it sounds like Paddy and Chips in for Lonie and Acres. Makes us a bit slower, but I like the changes! Etihad is good for marking forwards isn't it?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

StK v Ess
Int; Dunstan, Fisher, McCartin, McKenzie.
Emerg: Acres, Sinclair, Holmes.
Fisher, McKenzie, McCartin in 4 Acres, Lonie, Sinclair.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Glad McKenzie is in. Surprised Sinclair is out

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Looks like Acres is Richos scapegoat.
Let him play 10 in a row FFS

longtimesaint
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:Looks like Acres is Richos scapegoat.
Let him play 10 in a row FFS
It does seem tough after one bad game.
Hardly any of our players performed well last week.
I think Sinclair is also unlucky.

One year will be our year
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

spert wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:

Yeah lets play Bruce in defence where he was so shithouse that we were wondering why we recruited him in the first place!! Bruce is clearly our best forward without Roo there. Do you think that maybe he isn't having the same impact this year because teams are putting more work into him and he's getting double teamed? If he plays down back that will just put more pressure on Paddy and Membrey who aren't ready to be the main focus.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I looked at the stats. Sinclair, Acres and Lonie picked up eight possessions each last week. Tough gig being a small forward in a hammering like that. I've got high hopes for all three but I feel we are a little small as a side and need more grunt.

Well that applies to Sinclair and particularly Lonie. Acres just played a shocker and may have infringed those non-negotiable team rules again
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 20 May 2016 8:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think Dunstan sucks his .....

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

BBMG what is wrong with having some flexibility? Bruce was asked to play full back in a team that was getting beaten by 100 pts every second week. Whats the point with having him forward when the ball is living down the other end. Moving him just to stem the tide not permantly.

Perhaps you are AR's tactician...?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Emerg: Acres, Sinclair, Holmes.
Yikes. I hope that they ony keep Holmes back as the final emergency then as Sandy plays on Sunday afternoon....and then hasa bye.

It would a great shame if they both miss two games running.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
kosifantutti wrote: Emerg: Acres, Sinclair, Holmes.
Yikes. I hope that they ony keep Holmes back as the final emergency then as Sandy plays on Sunday afternoon....and then hasa bye.

It would a great shame if they both miss two games running.

Agree, both have a big future and need the chance to continue to press their claims

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think Dunstan sucks his .....
He must be flexible :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
gone fission
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:I looked at the stats. Sinclair, Acres and Lonie picked up eight possessions each last week. Tough gig being a small forward in a hammering like that. I've got high hopes for all three but I feel we are a little small as a side and need more grunt.

Well that applies to Sinclair and particularly Lonie. Acres just played a shocker and may have infringed those non-negotiable team rules again
Membrey only had 5 too… bit rough putting the blame on forwards when you've only had 37 inside 50's to the oppositions 61 - something wrong in that logic.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Membrey's built up a few credits over the past month. Kicked a bag against Melbourne and three against North. Can't say the same for Lonie.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:BBMG what is wrong with having some flexibility? Bruce was asked to play full back in a team that was getting beaten by 100 pts every second week. Whats the point with having him forward when the ball is living down the other end. Moving him just to stem the tide not permantly.

Perhaps you are AR's tactician...?
Firstly Bruce has played less than 40 games as a key forward, he has to be allowed to develop in this role as he is our best long term option to replace Roo at CHF. secondly McCartin and him have to be given opportunity to develop their partnership in the key forward roles so they have to play as much as they can in the forward half. If we do need a tall to stem the tide, then roo can easily drift in from the wing and he has the experience and know how to decide when it's time.

gone fission
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:Membrey's built up a few credits over the past month. Kicked a bag against Melbourne and three against North. Can't say the same for Lonie.
The past month? he'd only played 2 games prior to that debacle last week.

Acres was the rising star 2 weeks ago. Lonie was BOG in the VFL last week, gets one game in a rabble with 37 i50's and is out.

Different rules for different players. SOme weeks he uses tackles as a reference point for dropping players like Lee, other times it doesn't matter - Lonie had 6 tackles last week - Steven, Newnes & Riewoldt had 1 tackle each.

Richo is scratching around in the dirt like a chook this week blaming small forwards for one our worst performances in a decade when we were nearly at full strength, will no doubt be hailed a genius if we get over the top of a make-shift VFL grade side.

It's round 9, how about we get another look at Lee who was pretty good in his only 2 matches for the past 2 years?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gone fission wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Membrey's built up a few credits over the past month. Kicked a bag against Melbourne and three against North. Can't say the same for Lonie.
The past month? he'd only played 2 games prior to that debacle last week.

Acres was the rising star 2 weeks ago. Lonie was BOG in the VFL last week, gets one game in a rabble with 37 i50's and is out.

Different rules for different players. SOme weeks he uses tackles as a reference point for dropping players like Lee, other times it doesn't matter - Lonie had 6 tackles last week - Steven, Newnes & Riewoldt had 1 tackle each.

Richo is scratching around in the dirt like a chook this week blaming small forwards for one our worst performances in a decade when we were nearly at full strength, will no doubt be hailed a genius if we get over the top of a make-shift VFL grade side.

It's round 9, how about we get another look at Lee who was pretty good in his only 2 matches for the past 2 years?
I think with Acres he may have infringed again on those non-negotiable team rules. Plus he played a shocker and needs to redeem himself at Sandringham.

Lonie was BOG in the VFL three weeks ago, so has had two games and has done very little. In fact his season has been poor.

Sinclair, I'd like to see in. I think he has a big future as do Acres and Lonie.

But obviously they think they might have gone in too small, hence McCartin and Fisher back in and McKenzie getting a run instead of Acres.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 20 May 2016 10:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wow.

Richo was on the angry pills making 3 unforced changes. That equivalent to most coaches who'd make 6 changes after a 100 point loss

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Shame about acres, I know they prob treat him harshly because they kmnow he can do better but getting dropped several times before the halfway point of the season would destroy your confidence.

Also surprised with Sinclair out considering Lonie is out too. Richo can't decide if he wants a mosquito fleet or tall timber. How about trying the middle ground lol.

hope we got the legs through the midfield considering we just dropped 2 that have played there at AFL level this year.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Strange selections with two forward pocket/crumbing options being ousted. Are we trying to tank?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Richo - your balls, my fist. This was a great chance for Acres to get some batting practice against lower oppo and build some confidence. Well he was average last week you say. Well what about the Great Gilbo - yes he can be a magician but his disappearing act last week when we needed out oldies to stand up was pathetic but no price paid for him there.

I've hear Richo is going to be the new radio DJ on Magic FM as he plays all the oldies, all the time. Those classic Standards that he loves so much.

At least another Debutante in McKenzie is a step forward. Pressure on to win this now. Playing all our oldies, there is no excuse to lose. None.